Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this already. Anyone as excited as I am for this movie? I think this could be one of his best although his movies are really difficult to rank because they're all so good and so different.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

Looking forward to reading some reviews here.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Manohla Dargis from the NYT writes, "What was entirely unexpected of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at the Cannes Film Festival, was that it would be such a moving film, at once a love letter — and a dream — of the Hollywood that was."

Vulture's Bilge Ebiri said, "It’s the most fun the director seems to have had in years, but it’s also, oddly, his most compassionate picture."

Tarantino has stated that factors such as the nostalgic content or his mature age could have contributed to his search for more emotional charged themes and sentiments.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping this would fall under the Film Thread, but Tarantino is too big to be contained without his own thread.

Everything I've read so far so points to OUATIH as Tarantino's most elegiac, contemplative movie to date.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I always look forward to Tarantino movies even though I admit I don't think he has been able to match Pulp Fiction again.

Maybe this will be the one.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I always look forward to Tarantino movies even though I admit I don't think he has been able to match Pulp Fiction again.

Does he need to match it?

I'm also curious to see what you and LG.com think of the rest of Tarantino's ouevre, especially Jackie Brown.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I'm also curious to see what you and LG.com think of the rest of Tarantino's ouevre, especially Jackie Brown.

Love:
Pulp, Dogs, Jackie

Like:
KB1, Death Proof

Eh:
Bastards

Loathe:
Django, KB2, Hateful Eight

Last edited by ocho on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

It’s my favorite of his movies. Not his best, that’s Pulp, but his least pretentious film. It’s just a good little yarn well told. For me, it’s the last really good film he’s made.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

It’s my favorite of his movies. Not his best, that’s Pulp, but his least pretentious film. It’s just a good little yarn well told. For me, it’s the last really good film he’s made.

I agree, very good movie. I think it's Tarantino's only adapted screenplay. I feel like he simply tried to make a film and not put so much of himself in it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I agree, very good movie. I think it's Tarantino's only adapted screenplay. I feel like he simply tried to make a film and not put so much of himself in it.

I also liked True Romance a lot, which was the reverse (he wrote for another director, the truly underrated Tony Scott)
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

I think the first 4 movies of QT are universally loved (RD, PF, TR, JB) and after that it gets kind of wonky where the films become more polarizing. I love IB and DU, still not sure how I feel about H8. And KB 1 & 2 has so many great moments but as a whole I'm not sure they're great.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I also liked True Romance a lot, which was the reverse (he wrote for another director, the truly underrated Tony Scott)

This is kind of an underrated film I think. He actually sold the script before Scott was attached. What I like about that movie though is that even in the hands of another director who clearly altered the script to make it more mainstream, Tarantino's dialogue and themes come through so strong that I consider it a Tarantino film, even if he didn't see it all the way through. Obviously it would have been better with Tarantino picking the soundtrack, but Tarantino ultimately agreed with how Scott changed the ending.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

I thought Jackie Brown was among the weakest of his films, but it was still good.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

What I'm getting from the posts so far and from early reviews of OUATIH is that Tarantino's movies can be wildly divisive.

I love it!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Love:
Pulp, Dogs, Jackie

Like:
KB1, Death Proof

Eh:
Bastards

Loathe:
Django, KB2, Hateful Eight

Interesting. I'm a fan of all of his movies, but Django and KB2 don't fully cohere despite some fun set pieces (Candyland, the trailer fight, etc.). Dogs feels like it's from another time, and I like it, but don't have any compulsion to revisit it.

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill. But I'm a sucker for Agatha Christie and A Clockwork Orange, so it was tailor made to be a movie I never knew I wanted.

Love:
Pulp, Jackie, Inglorious

Like:
Hateful Eight, Dogs, KB1, Death Proof

Like Less:
Django, KB2 (damn Weinstein!)

Eh:
Tarantino's contribution to Four Rooms (still the best part of that 90s oddity)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I thought Jackie Brown was among the weakest of his films, but it was still good.

I thought it was one of it perhaps the only film of his to have real human characters, not exaggerated QT types.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I thought it was one of it perhaps the only film of his to have real human characters, not exaggerated QT types.

Was Mia Wallace a real human character?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Less than Jackie Brown. More exaggerated for the effect he was after. It’s a brilliant film. What I meant specifically is Jackie Brown was built around relatable everyday characters, most of whom were quite understated (Jackson being the principal exception). Pulp’s characters were fascinating and served a brilliant tale, but they weren’t primarily “normal” or relatable in many ways. Most of them were deliberately exaggerated to serve the narrative.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject:

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill.

I get around to watching everyhing of his at some point and I'm caught up at the moment, but Hateful 8 was one of the more entertaining ones he has put out in the last 15-20. I actually tried a couple of times to watch it and I just couldn't do Tarantino at those particular moments. I first saw the whole thing at around this time, 3am, with nothin else to do or watch, so I got a chance to fully commit. Lotta funny quips, oceans of dialogue, too much N usage to even be remotely realistic, simple premise -- all standard QT. However, that was a pretty damn stunning performance by SJP. Not saying she's a bad actress, but I didn't think she was capable of that. I like when she got smacked, then she licked the blood of her lip and winked at Samuel L, to his mild disquietude at that moment of the film.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Less than Jackie Brown. More exaggerated for the effect he was after. It’s a brilliant film. What I meant specifically is Jackie Brown was built around relatable everyday characters, most of whom were quite understated (Jackson being the principal exception). Pulp’s characters were fascinating and served a brilliant tale, but they weren’t primarily “normal” or relatable in many ways. Most of them were deliberately exaggerated to serve the narrative.

This is a great point. I guess the more grounded characters of JB can be attributed to Elmore Leonard who wrote the book for it.

DeNiro is just hilarious in JB but the real gem is Robert Forster.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
DeNiro is just hilarious in JB

Lou-isssssssssssssss
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
DeNiro is just hilarious in JB

Lou-isssssssssssssss

Do you remember where you parked the caaaarrrr???
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

An overview of Tarantino's career and impact on Hollywood: ‘Forrest Gump’ Won the Battle, but ‘Pulp Fiction’ Won the War

Along with trenchant critiques of Tarantino's enduring adolescent fascination with movie violence, the article's author highlights one of my delights in QT's success: how does an autodidact film nerd mashing up Godard with obscure 60s and 70s pulp television and movies gain such a large following? Nolan isn't anywhere near as weird, Fincher's peccadilloes are kept under wraps by his screenwriters, and Spike, PTA, and Wes Anderson don't seem to put butts in seats to the same degree as QT. The Coen brothers along with Tarantino seem to be the main late-80s/90s oddball darlings who have retained a large audience amidst the Disney onslaught even as they go deeper into their weird, idiosyncratic tics and fetishes with each subsequent film.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agreed, well-written, and Jackie's characters beneft from not being in a movie with cartoonish ultraviolence - the stakes are lower overall and the world of Jackie feels more real, as well.

I've just always been impressed how Tarantino (along with his actors) finds ways to add depth to what should be stock movie caricatures. The Mia and Vincent dance contest at Jackrabbit Slim's made more of a cultural impact at the time, but I've always loved Mia's solo dance back at her and Marsellus' place and the cross-cutting with Vincent in the bathroom trying to talk himself out of sleeping with the boss' wife. It's a scene most directors would have left on the cutting room floor (heck, a Mia/Vincent love story would've been the central plot of some other director's bad Tarantino knockoff) and it's full of wonderful little beats from Travolta and Thurman whose characters are essentially supporting players.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

It feels like I'll die (mostly) alone on my Hateful Eight hill.

I get around to watching everyhing of his at some point and I'm caught up at the moment, but Hateful 8 was one of the more entertaining ones he has put out in the last 15-20. I actually tried a couple of times to watch it and I just couldn't do Tarantino at those particular moments. I first saw the whole thing at around this time, 3am, with nothin else to do or watch, so I got a chance to fully commit. Lotta funny quips, oceans of dialogue, too much N usage to even be remotely realistic, simple premise -- all standard QT. However, that was a pretty damn stunning performance by SJP. Not saying she's a bad actress, but I didn't think she was capable of that. I like when she got smacked, then she licked the blood of her lip and winked at Samuel L, to his mild disquietude at that moment of the film.

You mean Jennifer Jason Leigh and not Sarah Jessica Parker, right?

Great to find a kindred spirit H8 fan regardless
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: