Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

I believe they only have about 12 scholarships to give out this year

I would think that would make it more difficult to have a highly-ranked class
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

here is the way I view it....there are 3 extremely fertile recruiting grounds in the country.....Florida, Texas and Southern California. I should mention that Georgia is closing fast and getting close to similar numbers as the other three. Florida has 3 premier "football schools" in the state and 2 trying to get there, and it serves as a feeder for every big program on the East Coast. There simply is not one program that recruits FL that has an advantage over all others. Texas is very similar in it has Texas, A&M, plus your Big12 Texas schools. What makes it even more complicated is schools like LSU and Oklahoma's standing in Texas. Some consider Houston a LSU city. These are all "football schools". In contrast, USC is clearly the premium football program on the West coast and sets right in the middle of the SoCal recruiting region. Yes, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and other big programs feed off this area, but they are not USC in football. This is why I say USC should have a Top 5 class every year with little effort. Yet I am watching Thousand Oaks 5 Star Freshman Kayvon Thibodeaux ball out for Oregon this year. If you are USC, you do let that kid get out of LA, but it is happening with regularity in recent years. USC signed 2 of the Top 22 California recruits last year....Oregon signed 6 of those 22. I consider that a failure for the USC staff.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

that's a good point – regardless of how many scholarships they have, those 12 or whatever should be solid
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
that's a good point – regardless of how many scholarships they have, those 12 or whatever should be solid

where did you get that number? It is nearly impossible to only have 12 in a year. The two numbers are 85 and 25. You can have a max of 85 total scholarships on roster, but in this era of transfers and guys leaving early for the NFL, I am not aware of any school that actually has to worry about the 85 number. The second number is 25, which is the max scholarships that can be offered each year. Sometimes schools go blue shirts and grey shirts which is a way have more than 25 in a single year, but count against the next class which reduces that 25 number....but it is usually only 1-3.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

to be honest it's just a number I heard from someone I know who follows the program closely

he said they are just so young that they only had about 12 to give out
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
to be honest it's just a number I heard from someone I know who follows the program closely

he said they are just so young that they only had about 12 to give out

I guess it is possible....I see they only have 11 commits and most teams have between 15-23 at this point. December 18th (I think) is early signing day which is when about 90% of players sign.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

I think I read or heard that USC does not have a single 4-star commit from the entire state of CA. How is that even possible...you're USC! I have to believe that much of that is because Helton is that uninspiring. So what if he's signed through 2023. If they do similar to worse next year, the rumors will pop right back up and I would think that USC alumni will be out with pitchforks calling for his ouster. Parents and the athletes themselves have to know this, so it's not like retaining him creates some panacea of stability, in my opinion.

Oh by the way, USC opens with Alabama next year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
here is the way I view it....there are 3 extremely fertile recruiting grounds in the country.....Florida, Texas and Southern California. I should mention that Georgia is closing fast and getting close to similar numbers as the other three. Florida has 3 premier "football schools" in the state and 2 trying to get there, and it serves as a feeder for every big program on the East Coast. There simply is not one program that recruits FL that has an advantage over all others. Texas is very similar in it has Texas, A&M, plus your Big12 Texas schools. What makes it even more complicated is schools like LSU and Oklahoma's standing in Texas. Some consider Houston a LSU city. These are all "football schools". In contrast, USC is clearly the premium football program on the West coast and sets right in the middle of the SoCal recruiting region. Yes, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and other big programs feed off this area, but they are not USC in football. This is why I say USC should have a Top 5 class every year with little effort. Yet I am watching Thousand Oaks 5 Star Freshman Kayvon Thibodeaux ball out for Oregon this year. If you are USC, you do let that kid get out of LA, but it is happening with regularity in recent years. USC signed 2 of the Top 22 California recruits last year....Oregon signed 6 of those 22. I consider that a failure for the USC staff.

Coaches make or break a football program in NCAA football. We've seen teams all around the country with lots of winning history that are going nowhere because of who is running the program. Another example I would make is the Nebraska Cornhuskers football program. They won multiple national championships in the 90's and they are a shell of their former selves. Football players go where the good coaches are, and right now even though Socal has a lot of great high school players they are leaving the region for other programs because it gives them much more visibility if they aspire to become NFL players. And if you want to be honest, USC hasn't had a championship caliber squad ever since Pete Caroll left for Seattle. They've had a string of mediocre to ok coaches with the one exception being Coach O.....which the players would've gone to bat for, but he wasn't a big and flashy name so they let him go....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Guess we know why Clay kept his job, Urban Meyer is more interested in the Cowboys head coaching job.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Coaches make or break a football program in NCAA football. We've seen teams all around the country with lots of winning history that are going nowhere because of who is running the program. Another example I would make is the Nebraska Cornhuskers football program. They won multiple national championships in the 90's and they are a shell of their former selves. Football players go where the good coaches are, and right now even though Socal has a lot of great high school players they are leaving the region for other programs because it gives them much more visibility if they aspire to become NFL players. And if you want to be honest, USC hasn't had a championship caliber squad ever since Pete Caroll left for Seattle. They've had a string of mediocre to ok coaches with the one exception being Coach O.....which the players would've gone to bat for, but he wasn't a big and flashy name so they let him go....

USC was still getting the big recruits with Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian as their head coach, because they ran pro-style offenses and had NFL connections, I suppose.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Guess we know why Clay kept his job, Urban Meyer is more interested in the Cowboys head coaching job.

Wow. If that’s true, he must be looking for one last big score and have Jerry Jones sized up as the ideal mark.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Wow. If that’s true, he must be looking for one last big score and have Jerry Jones sized up as the ideal mark.

Dan Feldman was on Russillo's show and said Helton keeping his job came down to the following items in this order....

- his buyout is much larger than being reported. Private school, no public disclosure.
- President and AD actually like and "trust" Helton
- the school has been linked to so many scandals in recent years, now may not be the time to hire Urban Meyer
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Oregon takes the early lead over Utah in the PAC12 Championship game...7-0 with 8:00 left in 1st Quarter...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Oregon up 10-0...4:17 in 1stQ
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

getting away from Utah....Oregon up 17-0 with 9:45 left in 2ndQ
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I was told Utah was good and worth staying up late to watch their games lol
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Dan Feldman was on Russillo's show and said Helton keeping his job came down to the following items in this order....

- his buyout is much larger than being reported. Private school, no public disclosure.
- President and AD actually like and "trust" Helton
- the school has been linked to so many scandals in recent years, now may not be the time to hire Urban Meyer

I agree with that assessment. Clay isn't his guy but kinda harsh to fire him without giving him a chance under the watch of the new AD. Also most likely nobody is touching the USC job for a while especially when the school is facing scrutiny in other non-athletic department scandals.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Utah on the board....20-7....10:44 3rd Q
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

4th Quarter....Utah is only down 8....23-15.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Game over.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Lane Kiffin back to the SEC.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28240709/ole-miss-finalizing-deal-lane-kiffin-sources-say
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Game over.

Oregon winning is a loss for the Pac-12
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I didn't watch much of the game, but apparently Utah punted in Oregon territory in the 4th quarter on 4th and relatively short, after they had gotten it to within 8 points? If so, what a terrible decision, especially since it appears that they had kept going for it on 4th down in the 2nd half before that. (Again, I'm basing that on what I saw on Twitter.) They should have kept that momentum going, instead of thinking "oh, now it's a one-possession game, so we can play defense again." Keep your foot on the gas!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I didn't watch much of the game, but apparently Utah punted in Oregon territory in the 4th quarter on 4th and relatively short, after they had gotten it to within 8 points? If so, what a terrible decision, especially since it appears that they had kept going for it on 4th down in the 2nd half before that. (Again, I'm basing that on what I saw on Twitter.) They should have kept that momentum going, instead of thinking "oh, now it's a one-possession game, so we can play defense again." Keep your foot on the gas!

Quote:
4th & 4 at ORE 40
(9:28 - 4th) Ben Lennon punt for 30 yds, fair catch by Jevon Holland at the Oregn 10

Yeah, going for it on 4th and 4 at the Oregon 40 would have made sense.

However, they did punt it to the 10 yd line with 9 min left. They allowed Oregon to drive 90 yds in 2 min. That's what lost the game for them more than the decision to punt the ball.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Quote:
4th & 4 at ORE 40
(9:28 - 4th) Ben Lennon punt for 30 yds, fair catch by Jevon Holland at the Oregn 10

Yeah, going for it on 4th and 4 at the Oregon 40 would have made sense.

However, they did punt it to the 10 yd line with 9 min left. They allowed Oregon to drive 90 yds in 2 min. That's what lost the game for them more than the decision to punt the ball.

Yeah, you can't punt in that situation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 28 of 38
Jump to: