2019 College Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:42 am    Post subject:

Another reason bowl games have gotten worse is you see teams with a 6-6 record in them and some of those games have names that sound silly. Teams don’t even have to be good to play in them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Another reason bowl games have gotten worse is you see teams with a 6-6 record in them and some of those games have names that sound silly. Teams don’t even have to be good to play in them.

the name thing does stink....especially the ones without a name besides the corporate sponsor i.e. Cheez It Bowl. It was mentioned above that it is better for ratings to split the games up, but I wonder if that is accurate. Me personally, I uses to consume parts of all of the 1st and 2nd tier bowls unless I was at one specific bowl game. I have watched parts or a few this year.

If you think about it, what is the best day of the NCAA Tournament? It is the first and second day when ratings are their highest, and games are across 4 channels constantly overlapping. Ratings often continue to fall until the Final 4 weekend. I know I use to kick off my New Years Day (with medication for my headache)...then @ 11AM the Gator Bowl started....then around 12PM the Citrus Bowl started and @ 1PM the Outback Bowl started......mixed in with other games like the Peach and Cotton and I was channel surfing throughout unless my team was in one of the games. BCS Games would start around 2PM......the Rose Bowl would be mid afternoon....then the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange all mixed in....I think once the BCS started the Championship Bowl was moved to the 2nd. The point is I was tuned in and out all day.....now I rarely watch. I think there is something about the chaos of overlapping games that pulls people in.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The non-playoff games have been going downhill for a while now. The BCS often hurt the Rose Bowl quite a bit and this playoff system made it worse.

I have read the Rose Bowl may have been hurt the most by the BCS. I have to wonder if that may have been as much a coincidence as it was the BCS. The Rose Bowl really was only a big deal the PAC12 and Big10 fans.....and the game and population was clearly shifting out of Big10 country around this same time. Since there was no way for Big East, SEC, ACC and Big12 teams to get to the Rose Bowl, I think its actual importance would have dipped even without the BCS when the SEC, Big East (Miami), ACC (Florida State) and Big 12 (Nebraska) had their runs at the top of the sport.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

The Rose Bowl still retains its glamour though even if its not in the playoffs. You have the entire pageantry and run up to the big game which includes the Parade which is its own separate event and audience.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I agree with that. The Rose Bowl is still the most glamorous game aside from the playoff games.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Rose Bowl still retains its glamour though even if its not in the playoffs. You have the entire pageantry and run up to the big game which includes the Parade which is its own separate event and audience.

I guess, but like I said, it is not a big deal in the Southeast. I do not think the parade is on national television any longer?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I guess, but like I said, it is not a big deal in the Southeast. I do not think the parade is on national television any longer?

Thats because unless it was the national championship, an SEC or ACC team doesn't play in it....they go to a bowl closer to them like the Sugar or Orange Bowl. The Rose Bowl is usually a matchup between a top Big-10 school and Pac-12 school.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

The Rose Bowl is the only bowl game I watched more than 5 minutes of that was not the CFP.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Oregon just won the Rose Bowl with a roster including more than 30 players who grew up within 70 miles of that Rose Bowl.

Quote:
The real losers here were USC and UCLA.

Quote:
In all, two of three Ducks who carried the ball were from Southern California, one of the four receivers who caught passes were locals, and five of their top nine tacklers were from the Southland.

Oregon wins Rose Bowl with players who should be on USC or UCLA
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The non-playoff games have been going downhill for a while now. The BCS often hurt the Rose Bowl quite a bit and this playoff system made it worse.

I have read the Rose Bowl may have been hurt the most by the BCS. I have to wonder if that may have been as much a coincidence as it was the BCS. The Rose Bowl really was only a big deal the PAC12 and Big10 fans.....and the game and population was clearly shifting out of Big10 country around this same time. Since there was no way for Big East, SEC, ACC and Big12 teams to get to the Rose Bowl, I think its actual importance would have dipped even without the BCS when the SEC, Big East (Miami), ACC (Florida State) and Big 12 (Nebraska) had their runs at the top of the sport.

It certainly didn’t help that the Pac-12 teams are rarely trying to win a national title by the time they get to the Rose Bowl. People outside of the West, especially SEC fans tend to look down on the PAC-12.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Thats because unless it was the national championship, an SEC or ACC team doesn't play in it....they go to a bowl closer to them like the Sugar or Orange Bowl. The Rose Bowl is usually a matchup between a top Big-10 school and Pac-12 school.

which was my whole point....the BCS somewhat coincided with UF, FSU, Miami, Tennessee, Nebraska and a few other teams having dominant periods in college football while the PAC10 and Big10 teams were still good at the top, but outside a few years of USC, they slipped behind football below the Mason Dixon line. The question was if the Rose Bowl was mostly hurt by the BCS or a decade or two of lesser product. It is all cyclical. I will put it another way....people my fathers age in the Southeast likely have more reverence for the Rose Bowl than people my age or younger. At the same time....I even think the Rose Bowl's name recognition is superior to any other bowl game. I wonder if the playoffs system will actually help the Rose Bowl stand out more again, because the playoffs feel like they have taken all the luster off the other "BCS" bowls.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

the name thing does stink....especially the ones without a name besides the corporate sponsor i.e. Cheez It Bowl. It was mentioned above that it is better for ratings to split the games up, but I wonder if that is accurate. Me personally, I uses to consume parts of all of the 1st and 2nd tier bowls unless I was at one specific bowl game. I have watched parts or a few this year.

If you think about it, what is the best day of the NCAA Tournament? It is the first and second day when ratings are their highest, and games are across 4 channels constantly overlapping. Ratings often continue to fall until the Final 4 weekend. I know I use to kick off my New Years Day (with medication for my headache)...then @ 11AM the Gator Bowl started....then around 12PM the Citrus Bowl started and @ 1PM the Outback Bowl started......mixed in with other games like the Peach and Cotton and I was channel surfing throughout unless my team was in one of the games. BCS Games would start around 2PM......the Rose Bowl would be mid afternoon....then the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange all mixed in....I think once the BCS started the Championship Bowl was moved to the 2nd. The point is I was tuned in and out all day.....now I rarely watch. I think there is something about the chaos of overlapping games that pulls people in.

Yup. I will add to that the first rd of the mlb playoffs when you can have 4 games going in one day.

This is one of the reasons why the NFL reg season is so enjoyable. Sunday, so many games going on in one day.

They started to kill Sunday by adding Monday night football, then Thursday night football and Sunday night football.

They started to take away from the Sunday games. But it's still an enjoyable. day.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
The Rose Bowl is the only bowl game I watched more than 5 minutes of that was not the CFP.

I watched about half of it, with a bunch of small naps throughout the game (I stayed up until 5 am partying with family and friends the night before). It helps that it was a good game.

ESPN did their best to hype the game, telling us how glamorous it is, how perfect the setting is, how Kirk Herbstreit (sp?) watched it as a little kid, how this and that. It was a bit much.

But it doesn't change the fact that it's a meaningless game. Every bowl game is meaningless, other than the three that decide the champion. Except for Oregon fans, no one will care who won the 2020 Rose Bowl a few days from now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

^^^Kirk was right about growing up on the East Coast in cold weather region....I do recall watching the Rose Bowl and it being dark, dreary and cold outside....and it being sunny and warm in this paradise they called Pasadena.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Yup. I will add to that the first rd of the mlb playoffs when you can have 4 games going in one day.

This is one of the reasons why the NFL reg season is so enjoyable. Sunday, so many games going on in one day.

They started to kill Sunday by adding Monday night football, then Thursday night football and Sunday night football.

They started to take away from the Sunday games. But it's still an enjoyable. day.

Sunday night football is a great addition because of the ability to flex to really good matchups later in the season, making them national telecasts. Monday and Thursday night games are not as successful because they have to be scheduled well in advance and there is a good chance that one or both teams under perform their potential.

But the big question is who is down with the post New Year matchup of Tennessee - Indiana St. at the Taxslayer Bowl? Not many I guess. My biggest issues with College Ball is that top teams regularly schedule pad when their conferences will give them plenty of padding on a regular basis. I'm not a fan of watching some SEC or Big 10 team blow out some division 2 team by 60 points. There should be severe penalties for this by the ranking committees. It's not good for the sport anymore than watching a top boxer KO a low ranked fighter is good for boxing.
[/rant]
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Sunday night football is a great addition because of the ability to flex to really good matchups later in the season, making them national telecasts. Monday and Thursday night games are not as successful because they have to be scheduled well in advance and there is a good chance that one or both teams under perform their potential.

Sunday night football took the best games that used to be the afternoon Sunday game and moved them to Sunday night.

I remember back in the day with Pat Summerall and John Madden calling the marquee Sunday afternoon games.

49ers vs. Cowboys
49ers vs. Packers
Packers vs. Cowboys

Those were all Sunday afternoon games.

Now, with Monday night football, Thursday night football, Sunday night football, and with the bye week, the Sunday morning and afternoon games have been watered down considerably. Now sometimes, there's no good game to watch.

And before, they used to have considerably more afternoon games. Now sometimes, there's only like 3. And one of them would be the Chargers. Yuck.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Sunday night football took the best games that used to be the afternoon Sunday game and moved them to Sunday night.

I remember back in the day with Pat Summerall and John Madden calling the marquee Sunday afternoon games.

49ers vs. Cowboys
49ers vs. Packers
Packers vs. Cowboys

Those were all Sunday afternoon games.

Now, with Monday night football, Thursday night football, Sunday night football, and with the bye week, the Sunday morning and afternoon games have been watered down considerably. Now sometimes, there's no good game to watch.

And before, they used to have considerably more afternoon games. Now sometimes, there's only like 3. And one of them would be the Chargers. Yuck.

Thursday games, in particular, really suck. You don't get good football because of the simple fact that there's no way that guys can properly recover to play another football game in 4 days. It's grossly unfair to the players. And, yes, it's had a watering-down effect on Sundays. You never go more than two days without football now, and that's too much. The Sunday-Monday cycle was great.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

^^^I agree with most of the points on over saturation of the weekly football schedule, I will say when ESPN introduced Thursday night football it helped keep the Big East relevant for years. That was when there was very limited space for national televised games, and the Big East started putting their biggest games on Thursday nights. Teams like WVU were able to build their program nationally on those Thursday nights.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

I like Sunday and Monday Night Football. But the Thursday night matchups are usually pretty bad and I think they are better off getting rid of that and going back to 4 afternoon games. Usually I can find a good afternoon game to watch when there is 4 of them. But when there are 3 I’m sometimes not interested.

This won’t happpen but the London games have to go. They are on so early for people in the West and they weaken the 10am and 1pm lineups even more.

I no longer have NFL Sunday Ticket and I honestly don’t miss it that much with with 10am and especially the 1pm games not being as interesting as they used to be, and I can still watch as many as 10 teams each week. I can watch 2 teams at 10am on local tv, 2 more at 1pm, and 6 more on Sunday, Monday and Thursday Night Football.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject:

Another thing I hate is there has been more momentum for a 17 game season because of the reluctance of going to an 18 game season. I thought the owners wanted to reduce the number of concussions and the amount of brain damage the players suffer. Extra games on the schedule are going to make that stuff worse.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

the name thing does stink....especially the ones without a name besides the corporate sponsor i.e. Cheez It Bowl.

One of my favorites because of how dumb it sounded was the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. I told my father about that game and he laughed and thought I might be joking. They had a logo at midfield saying “Little Caesars Pizza Bowl” and I thought the whole thing looked silly. It always had a couple of teams I didn’t care about.

There’s nothing like playing hard all season to get a shot at the Pizza Bowl. This isn’t what you would call the height of prestige.

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl which is on later today is another name that sounds funny/dumb.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
Oregon just won the Rose Bowl with a roster including more than 30 players who grew up within 70 miles of that Rose Bowl.

Quote:
The real losers here were USC and UCLA.

Quote:
In all, two of three Ducks who carried the ball were from Southern California, one of the four receivers who caught passes were locals, and five of their top nine tacklers were from the Southland.

Oregon wins Rose Bowl with players who should be on USC or UCLA

Everyone talks about how bad the USC program is lately, but UCLA has its own share of problems.....the last time they played in the Rose Bowl game (which they lost to Wisconsin) was 21 years ago. That team fell one game short of playing in the national championship game by losing to Miami in a hurricane delayed game at the end of the season....and they've never been able to recapture the national prominence ever since.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject:

What is the Lendingtree Bowl?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I had to look that up to make sure you weren’t joking. Another bowl game with a stupid name.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I had to look that up to make sure you weren’t joking. Another bowl game with a stupid name.

I always view it through the imaginary QB telling his girlfriends parents or his kids one day.....nobody wants to say I am playing in the Lendingtree Bowl. It is in Mobile, Alabama....it should have to be the Lendingtree ________ Bowl. At least the players can tell people they are playing in the ________ Bowl. Call it the Gulf Coast Bowl.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 36 of 38
Jump to: