ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 440, 441, 442  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:
So... after the preview last night... how big is this gap? And who’s the gap underdog?

Besides that, they lost in preseason to the Rockets. Now granted Kawhi and PG didn’t play but I hear they overall didn’t look good. Band before their preseason game again the Sharks Coach Rivers are mentioning they haven’t been able to get in a “live” practice because Kawhi load management and he seem frustrated.

Love how the narrative changes. It was "oh they added Kawhi and PG to the Clippers team that went toe to toe with Dubs who had KD", now its just both stars were out. With both stars being injury prone lately and they have to go to load management route, that roster has to get it done against improved West. Not sure they will have an impressive regular season record tbh.

shhhhhh!
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

I have noticed all you ever do is crap on the Lakers.

No, mainly just Howard. And I am batting 1.000 about him. And Rondo and Cousins. Wastes of cap space.

No, mainly the Lakers. Your part of the reason I rarely post. I don't want to hear your bitter, condescending responses. Suspend me mods, or whatever, for saying it, but you are an irritating, think your view is better than anyone else', irritant.

I agree with your whole post, but I honest to god thought I was the only one who felt that way on the bold part.

I love my Lakers. I just don't like regularly exchanging views about my team with someone who, at times, sounds like they love to be contrary, just for the sake of being so.
crazylakerfan001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

I have noticed all you ever do is crap on the Lakers.

No, mainly just Howard. And I am batting 1.000 about him. And Rondo and Cousins. Wastes of cap space.

No, mainly the Lakers. Your part of the reason I rarely post. I don't want to hear your bitter, condescending responses. Suspend me mods, or whatever, for saying it, but you are an irritating, think your view is better than anyone else', irritant.

I agree with your whole post, but I honest to god thought I was the only one who felt that way on the bold part.

I love my Lakers. I just don't like regularly exchanging views about my team with someone who, at times, sounds like they love to be contrary, just for the sake of being so.

Venturalakerfan is just a troll who was a big time Jim Buss(lol) supporter in the past. Hes basically playing with house money if the lakers win he says he’s a Laker fan for life and what not and if they fail he has the Jim Buss card to fall back on.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

There is a gap and it’s getting wider
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

My concerns with gap whether perceived or real:

1) Kawhi/PG13 and Lebron/AD cancel each other out imo. Kawhi comes in to season as best player in the league but AD can reach that level. 35 year old Lebron is still better than PG imo specifically in a playoff format.

2) I feel like the clippers have more live bodies while the Lakers are banking on contributions from guys like Bradley, KCP, Howard and Cook. Who knows maybe Cacock surprises to counter this.

3) The Guard situation is weak. Really putting faith in Caruso to take a leap.

We will find out. Real games come soon.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:
So... after the preview last night... how big is this gap? And who’s the gap underdog?

Besides that, they lost in preseason to the Rockets. Now granted Kawhi and PG didn’t play but I hear they overall didn’t look good. Band before their preseason game again the Sharks Coach Rivers are mentioning they haven’t been able to get in a “live” practice because Kawhi load management and he seem frustrated.

Love how the narrative changes. It was "oh they added Kawhi and PG to the Clippers team that went toe to toe with Dubs who had KD", now its just both stars were out. With both stars being injury prone lately and they have to go to load management route, that roster has to get it done against improved West. Not sure they will have an impressive regular season record tbh.

They got it done last season
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Palin wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:

They got it done last season

Not the same team as last season. They didn't get PG for free
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

1) Kawhi/PG13 and Lebron/AD cancel each other out imo. Kawhi comes in to season as best player in the league but AD can reach that level. 35 year old Lebron is still better than PG imo specifically in a playoff format.

2) I feel like the clippers have more live bodies while the Lakers are banking on contributions from guys like Bradley, KCP, Howard and Cook. Who knows maybe Cacock surprises to counter this.

kawhi and lbj may cancel each other out. but pg and AD do not cancel out. very different players. AD is bigger which is technically more valuable. but pG is really really good. so i wouldn't say it cancels. but im curious which team gains an advantage. i think our size overall is going to put us over the top.

i disagree with a lot of popular opinion about players. i dont see anything wrong with AC4. i think he could perform just as good as a multi million star in this role if not better.

i dont see much wrong with this team, its good. you seem to be worried about name brand kind of thing. the clipps are smaller than us. on the clips, the only ones im really worried about are Lou and PG.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

kawhi and lbj may cancel each other out. but pg and AD do not cancel out. very different players. AD is bigger which is technically more valuable. but pG is really really good. so i wouldn't say it cancels. but im curious which team gains an advantage. i think our size overall is going to put us over the top.

i disagree with a lot of popular opinion about players. i dont see anything wrong with AC4. i think he could perform just as good as a multi million star in this role if not better.

i dont see much wrong with this team, its good. you seem to be worried about name brand kind of thing. the clipps are smaller than us. on the clips, the only ones im really worried about are Lou and PG.

I disagree on Kawhi and LBJ. Not the 35 year old LBJ.

Now AD/Kawhi, yes I can see that.

The bigger concern is all the live bodies the Clippers can throw out there. The Lakers are going to be asking guys a few years removed from their peak to out perform guys who are still ascending for the clippers.

I think you are underestimating Green, Harkless, Robinson, Shamet, etc.

They have more than just Lou and Harrell.

Anyway, we will see how it plays out.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

its fine you disagree. but then you start comparing very different guys. its like comparing magic to kareem. it doesnt make sense. to me, it sounds like you are comparing the most popular player from each team. yes, AD is our most prized possession, and Kawhi is their most prized possession. but they are very different.

clipps have good players, we have good players. we dont have anyone as good as PG (as that type of player). THey dont have anyone as good as AD. we both have and lbj type. kawhi is riding high, but hes the same as lbj. an overrated famous player that people think is so good, but maybe not as good. kawhi is not better than pg, and lbj is not better than AD.

kawhi didnt do anything in the last 4th quarter of the finals. lbj will be the same. AD and PG are the key guys. for the clipps, they have Lou who is a problem...and we have a LOT of big men, which is most certainly a problem for all the teams.

even lebron, who i dontr think is a very good player, at least hes a huge guy for his role. we are so big, teams are going to have problems. we can win a ring. the clipps will have to rely on PG and Lou. those other guys are very good too, yes. but they are the same as our guys like Green, Caruso, etc. again, just because people are more famous doesnt mean much. nor does their salaries etc. look what van bleep did.

even curry didnt do squat (AS I PREDICTED) when his stars got injured. curry didnt do anythjing in crunch time 4th quarter, neither did kawhi. the NBA is very wacky right now in terms of popularity/accolades vs true skill. the skill guys are not getting paid a lot and are under the radar. they are the ones that will deliver those rings in crunch time. i am very high on the fact that we have all these great athletic bigs, they are really going to give us a huge advantage. basketball is about size for the most part. it takes a lot of bad officiating and ridiculous refs to make someone like curry be so successfull or for harden to travel EVERY SINGLE PLAY and score a lot doing nothing special.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

Ok we see it differently.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
its fine you disagree. but then you start comparing very different guys. its like comparing magic to kareem. it doesnt make sense. to me, it sounds like you are comparing the most popular player from each team. yes, AD is our most prized possession, and Kawhi is their most prized possession. but they are very different.

clipps have good players, we have good players. we dont have anyone as good as PG (as that type of player). THey dont have anyone as good as AD. we both have and lbj type. kawhi is riding high, but hes the same as lbj. an overrated famous player that people think is so good, but maybe not as good. kawhi is not better than pg, and lbj is not better than AD.

kawhi didnt do anything in the last 4th quarter of the finals. lbj will be the same. AD and PG are the key guys. for the clipps, they have Lou who is a problem...and we have a LOT of big men, which is most certainly a problem for all the teams.

even lebron, who i dontr think is a very good player, at least hes a huge guy for his role. we are so big, teams are going to have problems. we can win a ring. the clipps will have to rely on PG and Lou. those other guys are very good too, yes. but they are the same as our guys like Green, Caruso, etc. again, just because people are more famous doesnt mean much. nor does their salaries etc. look what van bleep did.

even curry didnt do squat (AS I PREDICTED) when his stars got injured. curry didnt do anythjing in crunch time 4th quarter, neither did kawhi. the NBA is very wacky right now in terms of popularity/accolades vs true skill. the skill guys are not getting paid a lot and are under the radar. they are the ones that will deliver those rings in crunch time. i am very high on the fact that we have all these great athletic bigs, they are really going to give us a huge advantage. basketball is about size for the most part. it takes a lot of bad officiating and ridiculous refs to make someone like curry be so successfull or for harden to travel EVERY SINGLE PLAY and score a lot doing nothing special.

You are really taking Kobe's retirement hard
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Not really fair honestly...

Pg13 and Leonard are in their primes, while Lebron ain't.

Also, there role players already have good chemistry with each other while our team is still in the process....

Lakers as a whole isn't anywhere close to the Clippers imo even with Iggy potentially being signed.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

"Kawhi is not better than PG..."

"Even LeBron, who I don't think is a very good player..."

^Imagine being this delusional.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

pg would beat both 1on1 9/10 times.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Judah wrote:

pg would beat both 1on1 9/10 times.

Paul George can't even beat Joe Ingles one on one.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject:

It will come down to injuries and roll players. Clippers have two quality players that are injury prone. PG is an excellent player, but is also mentally weak. AD is injury prone as well. Lebron may be older, but he's very skilled. I still believe we can wear down the Clippers inside. We are also forgetting about Kuzma, who will be the X-factor all year. What the Lakers have that the Clippers do not is a legitimate inside/out capability. But again, it all comes down to which team has more injuries.
VocabuLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

The only gap between Lakers and Clippers will be endorsements
The G-League Clips will not make as much money.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I think a very simple, maybe rudimentary, argument would be the following: Take Kawhi, George, LeBron, and AD off of both teams, and what happens.

Vogel, Kidd, Hollins

McGee, Dwight
Kuzma, Dudley
Green, KCP
Bradley Cook Daniels
Rondo, Caruso

vs

Rivers, Lue, Cassell

Zubac, Patterson
Harrell, Green
Harkless,
Shamet, Lou, Robinson
Beverly, McGruder

I don't think it's particularly close.. Clippers easily.

I do think LeBron/AD is better than Kawhi/PG but their bench is so far better than ours that I think they have the overall advantage especially when you factor in coaching, I mean, that LAC squad was practically the same as when they won 48 games.

Their bench is balanced, deep, scrappy, and hungry. Ours feels like a a hodgepodge of shooters, end of career vets, and too many guards.

Well see how it plays out but at least on paper, they have the edge.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Their bench is balanced, deep, scrappy, and hungry. Ours feels like a a hodgepodge of shooters, end of career vets, and too many guards.

This is the part that the Lakers have overlooked. Who is going to match deep, scrappy and hungry?

Cacock? THT? Caruso? Don’t see any other candidates.

Bradley and Dudley will be veteran pests, but they aren’t the young, fresh legs energy type guys.

The Nets showed what having young guys who have those attributes can do against the Lakers mix.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
2019 wrote:

This is the part that the Lakers have overlooked. Who is going to match deep, scrappy and hungry?

Cacock? THT? Caruso? Don’t see any other candidates.

Bradley and Dudley will be veteran pests, but they aren’t the young, fresh legs energy type guys.

The Nets showed what having young guys who have those attributes can do against the Lakers mix.

100% agree.

I suppose this happens every summer but there were so many young guys we should have pursued: RHJ, Hezonja, WCS, J Bell, Stanley Johnson, Chriss, etc.

Or on a more macro level, making D'lo a primary target and put the pressure on him to agree to a S&T.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

I suppose this happens every summer but there were so many young guys we should have pursued: RHJ, Hezonja, WCS, J Bell, Stanley Johnson, Chriss, etc. .

I can't criticize the Lakers for going after Cousins and Javale as their centers. Everyone else on your list just seems like a small forward who can't shoot. Don't know that any of them would really make a difference.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
2019 wrote:

I suppose this happens every summer but there were so many young guys we should have pursued: RHJ, Hezonja, WCS, J Bell, Stanley Johnson, Chriss, etc. .

I can't criticize the Lakers for going after Cousins and Javale as their centers. Everyone else on your list just seems like a small forward who can't shoot. Don't know that any of them would really make a difference.

I don't Balme them for those guys either and I'm not trying to insinuate we should have gone after all of them but a couple of those guys would have been helpful- particularly defensive wings like RHJ we could stick on anyone from Harden to Kawhi to Curry to Giannis.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

There is a gap in time between Leonard playing games

See what I did there

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
I think a very simple, maybe rudimentary, argument would be the following: Take Kawhi, George, LeBron, and AD off of both teams, and what happens.

Vogel, Kidd, Hollins

McGee, Dwight
Kuzma, Dudley
Green, KCP
Bradley Cook Daniels
Rondo, Caruso

vs

Rivers, Lue, Cassell

Zubac, Patterson
Harrell, Green
Harkless,
Shamet, Lou, Robinson
Beverly, McGruder

I don't think it's particularly close.. Clippers easily.

I do think LeBron/AD is better than Kawhi/PG but their bench is so far better than ours that I think they have the overall advantage especially when you factor in coaching, I mean, that LAC squad was practically the same as when they won 48 games.

This is just the way Lebron teams are usually built historically. Put a star next to him and a bunch of specialists (shooters, rebounders, defenders). How much they win depends on how well they fill that role, but you don't need them to do too much. Lebron just controls the game so well with the ball in his hands.

On the flip side, you have a team that is so dependent on Lebron's skillset that they just aren't useful when he's off the floor. It's the reason our Lakers had a better record with Shaq and no Kobe, versus Kobe and no Shaq. Those role players were handpicked to fit Shaq's game.

The Clippers have a lot of guys who can create shots with the ball, but they don't have a ballhandler with Lebron's IQ. That's why I don't think you can just remove Kawhi/PG, or Lebron/AD, and compare the supporting casts. It's the sum of all the parts that really matters. Right now I feel like on paper our role players fit Lebron's game pretty well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 440, 441, 442  Next
Page 9 of 442
Jump to: