Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Since I went Keto in July I've dropped 25 lbs, my hair grew back thicker and fuller, my eyesight got better, I dont need to take antacids anymore.

All these benefits occurred from an almost meat exclusive diet containing 70% fat, 15% carbs and 15 % protein.

Bread, pasta, rice and basically all forms of gluten and sugar do not exist in my diet anymore, yet my blood pressure has gotten better, my cholesterol has actually improved and my A1C is normal.

I eat double fatburgers with cheese, no bun whenever I feel like it and the pounds are continuing to melt off.

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth . The "Food Pyramid " we've been taught since grade school is a lie.

Props on your lifestyle change and continued success
Glad I clicked to read the thread.

I recently walked into my local large circle k and was taken aback for a moment just being conscious of ALLL THE JUNK TRASH FOOD they put in my face all my life.

Here is my contribution to the health world. An acronym
NPC Nutrition Per Calorie. What value does your body receive from the calories
Protein is the only Calorie I say is responsible for "building". It also has the ability to stabilize blood glucose and defeat metabolic spikes
Fat is valuable energy that serves the metabolic functions in so many ways

Fiber is a carb that is very positive in moderation. Probably best ingested unprocessed also.

I have the same experience all the time when I walk into stores. I will see several options for cookies and all kinds of other junk, and it looks like fun, but then I move along.

I’m not always against eating that stuff. But there is so much of it and it’s hard not to notice.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Since it was science that was poorly communicated to the public and therefore got headlines, I assumed the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast would cover it. They did -- and they did a really great job of it.

In addition to clarifying what the research said vs. what was popularly communicated about it, they also spent some time talking about how research works in general, and how science should be interpreted.

It's a great listen, so I took the time to download it, cut out the relevant part, and put it up for you listen here:

LINK

If you've ever wondered what I meant if you've heard me talk about the disconnect between science and the public interpretation/understanding of science, this is a great listen. Or even if you want the real story behind the topic of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Will the scientific wonders ever cease? So it's suddenly ok for carnivorous mammals to eat meat. Now there's a real mindbender.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

And... wine helps fight travelers diarrhea... u know, next time y’all westerners travel, u know what to drink (that’s right, bottle water)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3287903/

Abstract
This in vitro study was undertaken to determine the potential for survival of enteric pathogens in common drinking beverages. Three carbonated soft drinks, two alcoholic beverages, skim milk, and water were inoculated with Salmonella, Shigella, and enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli, and quantitative counts were performed over 2 days. Our studies showed poorest survival of all three organisms in wine, and greatest growth in milk and water. Beer and cola allowed survival of small numbers of Salmonella and E. coli at 48 h, whereas sour mix and diet cola were sterile by 48 h. Survival features may correlate with pH of the beverages. These observations may be useful in guiding travellers for appropriate beverage consumption while visiting areas endemic for "traveller's diarrhea."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientist-discredited-meat-guidelines-didnt-133708562.html

There may be some issues with the study...
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The longest lived people on earth tend to eat a lot of carbs and low amounts of meats. Processed foods are your enemy, not carbs.

Complex carbs? I love rice!
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth .

This is some charlatan garbage, sir. Virtually all physicians, especially pediatricians, stress the dangers to metabolic health inherent in high-sugar diets.

Funny how you chose to fixate on and paraphrase only one portion of my post. Interesting. Are you a medical professional or maybe a pharma rep?

Here is more "charlatan garbage" for you to refute:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

The Medical establishment need people to remain unhealthy, as does big Pharma and Big Sugar. This has been perpetuated for the last 50 years.

They keep pushing the BS food pyramid as well as saying that juice is healthy and soda is OK in moderation and they keep giving diabetics juice and cookies.

FACT they preach that low fat, low cholesterol foods are good for you. This is all proven to be BS.

I dont need to look any further than my own results from remaining vigilant about my diet change to 70% Fat, 15% carbs and 15% Protein and Zero sugar. I dont even need to wear reading glasses anymore. I had to buy new clothes, as my old ones no longer fit. My hair grew back my BMI is now inline, and I no longer snore at night.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Gluten is the killer, sugar is the killer. The Med profession will never cop to this truth .

This is some charlatan garbage, sir. Virtually all physicians, especially pediatricians, stress the dangers to metabolic health inherent in high-sugar diets.

Funny how you chose to fixate on and paraphrase only one portion of my post. Interesting. Are you a medical professional or maybe a pharma rep?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

The Medical establishment need people to remain unhealthy, as does big Pharma and Big Sugar. This has been perpetuated for the last 50 years.

They keep pushing the BS food pyramid as well as saying that juice is healthy and soda is OK in moderation and they keep giving diabetics juice and cookies.

FACT they preach that low fat, low cholesterol foods are good for you. This is all proven to be BS.

I dont need to look any further than my own results from remaining vigilant about my diet change to 70% Fat, 15% carbs and 15% Protein and Zero sugar. I dont even need to wear reading glasses anymore. I had to buy new clothes, as my old ones no longer fit. My hair grew back my BMI is now inline, and I no longer snore at night.

Gluten is only a problem for a very small portion of the population, and is not the key health problem for most people. Refined carbs and sugars, processed foods of all types really, are the issue. Natural sugars in moderate amounts have no proven ill effects.

FWIW, I expect this Keto craze to come back to bite a lot of people down the road. The human body is designed to be omnivorous, not run chiefly on fat. And anyone who tells you their diet regrew their hair AND fixed their vision is probably not going to give you real objective info in my experience.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Red meat consumption... surprisingly, not that bad

governator wrote:
Annals of Internal Medicine 10/1/19

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752320/red-processed-meat-consumption-risk-all-cause-mortality-cardiometabolic-outcomes

Conclusion:
The magnitude of association between red and processed meat consumption and all-cause mortality and adverse cardiometabolic outcomes is very small, and the evidence is of low certainty.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752321/reduction-red-processed-meat-intake-cancer-mortality-incidence-systematic-review

Conclusion:
The possible absolute effects of red and processed meat consumption on cancer mortality and incidence are very small, and the certainty of evidence is low to very low.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752326/effect-lower-versus-higher-red-meat-intake-cardiometabolic-cancer-outcomes

Conclusion:
Low- to very-low-certainty evidence suggests that diets restricted in red meat may have little or no effect on major cardiometabolic outcomes and cancer mortality and incidence.

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2752327/patterns-red-processed-meat-consumption-risk-cardiometabolic-cancer-outcomes-systematic

Conclusion:
Low- or very-low-certainty evidence suggests that dietary patterns with less red and processed meat intake may result in very small reductions in adverse cardiometabolic and cancer outcomes.

"Participants ranged in age from 17 to 92 years, with most cohorts recruiting those aged 40 to 50 years. Follow-up ranged from 2 to 28 years."

i would be more interested in the results for those 50 and above...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The longest lived people on earth tend to eat a lot of carbs and low amounts of meats. Processed foods are your enemy, not carbs.

Complex carbs? I love rice!

do more exercise
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Gluten is only a problem for a very small portion of the population, and is not the key health problem for most people. Refined carbs and sugars, processed foods of all types really, are the issue. Natural sugars in moderate amounts have no proven ill effects.

FWIW, I expect this Keto craze to come back to bite a lot of people down the road. The human body is designed to be omnivorous, not run chiefly on fat. And anyone who tells you their diet regrew their hair AND fixed their vision is probably not going to give you real objective info in my experience.

Omar both of those things happened for me. My hair came back and so did my vision. I have no reason to lie. Also Keto is not meant to be a long term diet. You are in no position to tell me what my experience has been. Maybe do your research before commenting on something you clearly know nothing about?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Omar both of those things happened for me. My hair came back and so did my vision. I have no reason to lie. Also Keto is not meant to be a long term diet. You are in no position to tell me what my experience has been. Maybe do your research before commenting on something you clearly know nothing about?

Is your last name Button?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Please post evidence to support your extraordinary claim that keto regrows hair and restores vision.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject:

I started keto an hour ago and now WWII never happened...it's already paying off.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Game Changers on Netflix has converted me to a plant based diet.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject:

Watch
Fat, Sick, and nearly dead

First one is free

I've done a juicing cleanse/fast and I honestly never felt better in my life
My skin... Felt alive, like living tissue
Too much energy available

I made it 10 days and had eaten so little fat I couldn't (didn't) resist the craving and went to Qdoba to get a side of steak. It always tasted great but that day it tasted like roadkill but I kept eating it
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Please post evidence to support your extraordinary claim that keto regrows hair and restores vision.

That was my point. One of the telltale signs of woo is the extraordinary claims that come with it. It's not, "I lost weight, felt better, and regained muscle tone". No, it's "my vision magically reversed itself and my hair grew back", neither of which I can find any empirical evidence of having any causal relationship from a keto diet.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

That was my point. One of the telltale signs of woo is the extraordinary claims that come with it. It's not, "I lost weight, felt better, and regained muscle tone". No, it's "my vision magically reversed itself and my hair grew back", neither of which I can find any empirical evidence of having any causal relationship from a keto diet.

Again I really have no reason to lie. What do I have to gain from that? Once I quit bread,pasta,rice,sugar completely I had noticeable changes.

Once you train the body to stop looking for sugar for fuel it looks for something else to burn, which is fat. Starve the sugar out, and your body freaks out and goes looking for the next thing to burn. Sugar occurs naturally in certain things, like berries and dark chocolate. Eating those keeps a nominal amount of glucose necessary for vital function, but not enough for the body to think it can revert to burning it for consistent fuel.

Going keto and kicking gluten and sugar has reversed quite a few issues.

*Thicker and fuller hair ( crown and front hair line)
*eysight restored ( no longer need glasses when I sit at the computer)
*no longer need to take antacids
*morning wood back in full glory (sorry TMI)
* currently down 35 lbs since July 22nd
* A1C levels back within range
* BMI almost back within range ( few more lbs to go to hit target weight of 185)

All this from stopping bread, pasta, rice and sugar. one cheat day a month usually for beer and hot wings.

I really have no reason to lie and honestly if one person here is moved by my transformation and decides to give it a go PM me and I will help with recipes, shopping lists and general encouragement. It's really been a blessing. The only thing required is will power and the desire for a better version of yourself.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

There are SO many other factors that might have caused those health benefits other than keto, though. Just to name a few off the top of my head: exercise level changes, medications, stress levels, some sort of specific food that you no longer eat.

Obviously keto is working for you and that's really what matters at the end of the day, especially since it seems like you enjoy it and are able to stick with it.

Re: strictly weight loss, it's calories in-calories out and consistency that really matter, not the type of diet (assuming you don't have some sort of health condition that truly warrants a specific type of diet). Re: general health, most people could benefit from eating fewer processed/refined carbs and sugar, there's no doubt about that. But carbs more broadly speaking can be incredibly beneficial. Context is everything when it comes to diet. For e.g., if you're an ultramarathon runner you're probably going to want to have carbs as your main fuel source.

I'd argue that a strictly keto diet is probably not ideal nor natural from a biological/evolutionary standpoint. Ketosis harkens to our ancestors going days at a time without food, thus needing some sort of alternate fuel source. But they weren't always in a ketogenic state. If you ask me, intermittent fasting is probably a more natural/ideal type of diet. Does that matter, much? Depends on what your goals are, etc.

To me, I enjoy all kinds of food and life is too short to restrict so much, especially when it's not necessary to live healthfully and fully. But, like I said, if you enjoy the diet and you can stick with it long-term, I see no harm in it.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Again I really have no reason to lie. What do I have to gain from that? Once I quit bread,pasta,rice,sugar completely I had noticeable changes.

Once you train the body to stop looking for sugar for fuel it looks for something else to burn, which is fat. Starve the sugar out, and your body freaks out and goes looking for the next thing to burn. Sugar occurs naturally in certain things, like berries and dark chocolate. Eating those keeps a nominal amount of glucose necessary for vital function, but not enough for the body to think it can revert to burning it for consistent fuel.

* BMI almost back within range ( few more lbs to go to hit target weight of 185)

All this from stopping bread, pasta, rice and sugar. one cheat day a month usually for beer and hot wings.

I really have no reason to lie and honestly if one person here is moved by my transformation and decides to give it a go PM me and I will help with recipes, shopping lists and general encouragement. It's really been a blessing. The only thing required is will power and the desire for a better version of yourself.
I understand you are convinced based on your first person experience, but I am looking for evidence with a sample size greater than one. Surely with results this miraculous, there must be a mountain of evidence to support your belief that Keto regrows hair and restores vision and that your blessing is translatable to others.

Link please
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

I understand you are convinced based on your first person experience, but I am looking for evidence with a sample size greater than one. Surely with results this miraculous, there must be a mountain of evidence to support your belief that Keto regrows hair and restores vision and that your blessing is translatable to others.

Link please

I dont understand why you are aggressively threadcrapping on me. Just be happy for me and encouraging. I probably had a severe and un-diagnosed gluten allergy and high blood pressure which explains the hair re-growth and re-gained eyesight. Why is that so hard to believe? I'm a much better version of myself now and certainly don't need to prove it to you or Omar. I don't care what you believe or dont believe. I'm happy with my results and want to share it with others who may benefit like I did. If you can't handle my truth that's your problem. It's never too late to change though. I challenge you to go a month with no bread, pasta or rice, or soda or sugar. Are you man enough?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

Link please

I dont understand why you are aggressively threadcrapping on me. Just be happy for me and encouraging. I probably had a severe and un-diagnosed gluten allergy and high blood pressure which explains the hair re-growth and re-gained eyesight. Why is that so hard to believe? I'm a much better version of myself now and certainly don't need to prove it to you or Omar. I don't care what you believe or dont believe. I'm happy with my results and want to share it with others who may benefit like I did. If you can't handle my truth that's your problem. It's never too late to change though. I challenge you to go a month with no bread, pasta or rice, or soda or sugar. Are you man enough?

I think a lot of that is just cutting sugar out of your diet. Don't think your claims about hair and eyesight have any basis in science. Its more likely a placebo effect you're feeling rather than actual results. There could be a multitude of other reasons why you're experiencing what you are.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

I think a lot of that is just cutting sugar out of your diet. Don't think your claims about hair and eyesight have any basis in science. Its more likely a placebo effect you're feeling rather than actual results. There could be a multitude of other reasons why you're experiencing what you are.

Exactly. There's a difference between correlation and causation. Just because two thing happen simultaneously doesn't mean there is a direct connection between the two that would not have occurred otherwise or due to something else.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:

You attributed the restoration of your vision and hair to keto and promoted the idea that keto could have similar results for others.

I asked for evidence.

You offered alternatives (severe gluten allergy and high BP) that undermine your conclusion, admonished Omar and I for not sharing your (unsubstantiated) belief and then sprinkled in some good, old-fashioned manhood questioning.

Got anything else?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

Just wanna say that I come to LG for in depth discussion of the Los Angeles Lakers. I stay for moments like “are you man enough to not eat pasta for a month?”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: