Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't know how many times I have to say it. But calling out American consumers (lecturing Bron) as hypocrites doesn't mean LBJ is innocent.
And if the people outraged by LBJ's comments want to make a difference when it comes to China's oppressive regime. Limiting what they buy from China is a good start.

Okay, let's all say we're hypocrites for buying products made in China. I still don't want to censor anyone from talking about it. Lebron does.

Agreed. That's why I said LBJ isn't innocent.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

[quote="kikanga"]
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Like you said, people who live in glass houses can't throw stones.

So pretty much, you want no one to ever say anything. Which is the world you strive for.

You should find someone who said the bolded and debate them. Because I never said that. You keep adding 10-20% onto what I'm saying, and debating that. And I'm not here to argue for what you think I'm saying. I'm here telling you what I'm actually saying.

kikanga wrote:
I just don't personally like throwing stones if I live in a glass house.

kikanga wrote:
If LBJ is a hypocrite so are all the people who are acting holier than though while criticizing him on their Iphone while wearing Nikes.

Let me rephrase then, everyone who wears Nikes or owns an iphone are holier than thou hypocrites and lose the right to criticize.

Did I get it right this time?

Considering how long the iphone and Nikes have been out, that might encompass the entire US population?

I'm guessing 90% of the US population has owned an iphone or a pair of Nikes in their life? So 90% of the US population is exempt from criticizing on this topic?

And since you didn't specify how a person obtained the iphone or Nikes, maybe if you give your child an iphone or a pair of Nikes, you have now made them hypocrites for life and now they too are exempted from criticizing on this topic (or maybe just any topic that involves hypocrisy? Who knows? The rules here are not clear.)

One step at a time bro.

You had an issue with me putting words in your mouth. Did I phrase it correctly this time around?

1) People who have iphones and wear Nikes and criticize LBJ are acting holier than thou

2) You don't personally throw stones if you live in a glass house

This is what I'm ASSUMING:

1) People who have iphones and wear Nikes are living in a glass house
2) People who criticize LBJ while owning iphones and wearing Nikes are throwing stones at him while living in a glass house

So, far, any problems with my summary? Or am I putting words in your mouth still?

I'm trying to follow your orders:

Quote:
You should find someone who said the bolded and debate them. Because I never said that.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I have found it interesting because I kind of knew how it would play out. Here is how I view the situation and how we got here....and why Lebron put himself in this no win position.

At some point we began to conflate and assign courage and bravery to people that simply said things we agreed with or supported. Lebron and a few other NBA players have received and soaked up much love from the mainstream and NBA media in recent years for taking positions on political and societal issues. They have been labeled as brave and a new kind of athlete. The problem is their positions were often very aligned with the demographic they sell to and the media that covers them. Sure they did not make everyone happy, but the personal benefits received from taking the positions far outweighed the very small group that may have not agreed with them taking positions.

Very few athletes and entertainers have actually taken brave or courageous public positions in recent decades. Positions that actually could have a negative impact on their career and bank account....or even their safety. I think Enes Kanter has been the most recent, and before him maybe the Dixie Chicks? Again, I do not think it is their responsibility to comment on political issues, although it is clearly their right.

Lebron has never been brave or courageous in his public positions, but his people have pushed hard on that narrative. He has also routinely spoken out when he clearly lacked a full understanding of the issue. He picks low hanging fruit like gun violence and the NCAA. Maybe next year he will come out against Cancer and (bleep) Roaches. The China issue was the first time he was put in a place that if he took a position, there clearly would downside either way, and he basically told Morey to "shut up and dribble".

I agree with your take on athletes picking low hanging fruit that they mostly lack understanding of... solid take..

I think Lebron meant to tell Morey.. "don't say crap about China right before my team is about to board a plane and spend a week there."

rather than "shut up and dribble"

which I don't think Lebron's wrong. I just think he picked his words poorly.

and maybe your understanding is correct and my initial understanding was not correct....but that just highlights the the massive downside to taking positions on such complex issues. People will misunderstand...people will view it through their own agenda driven lenses, etc. etc.

I also did not like that he claimed Morey was not fully educated on the topic because I am confident that Lebron is not either. It is an extremely complex issue that requires an in depth amount of historical knowledge. Probably the only people that can claim to fully grasp the issue is the people that have devoted their professional life to studying and understanding the people, history, culture, etc. involved.

for sure.. the issues are so nuanced and media nowadays have a propensity to just take sound bites.. players gotta know this is going to happen.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LBPoly. I'm tapping out. I can't do this with you anymore. I hate saying the same thing over and over again. Feel like I'm spamming the thread.

In your last quote, you literally cut out the part of my post that answers your question.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I'm not saying don't criticize LBJ's argument.

Which is my point. I don't have a problem with his arguments. I have issue with his inconsistent stances.

If he never responded to the shut up and dribble article, if he never stood up for Kaepernick, I would have no problem with his arguments now.

Sounds like we both are identifying hypocrites. You're identifying LBJ. I'm identifying the people who are calling him that.

FWIW, caring more about LBJ's consistency more than China's abuses of power is a little... disconcerting.

The rest of your post (that I didn't quote) pretty much is: "Ya we're all inconsistent. But screw LBJ for being inconsistent!"

Well, it's either that or no one ever questions anyone about anything, ever.

Like you said, people who live in glass houses can't throw stones.

So pretty much, you want no one to ever say anything. Which is the world you strive for.

I mean, that's one position to take I guess. I don't know how pragmatic or realistic it is.

It's an interesting ideology. No one ever say anything bad about anyone since we're all bad anyways.

Why is it interesting? It seems basic. If you have cheated on your spouse, you don’t get to stand on a pedestal and label the person an adulterer. If you didn’t cheat on your spouse before, then you do get to stand on that pedestal.

We haven’t all cheated. Just an example.

But accusing someone of being a hypocrite makes no sense. Unless the accuser actually somehow thinks they aren’t hypocritical. A common delusion in 2019.

Cool

So Jason Kidd committed domestic violence vs his wife

If he sees his neighbor committing domestic violence, he can’t stand on a pedestal and tell that person they are wrong?

The only person that can say something is someone who hasn’t committed domestic violence before?

———————

Think about what your position. Anyone that’s ever been a hypocrite even once in their life is now precluded from ever pointing out hypocrisy ever again in their life.

Anyone that’s ever bought an iphone is now precluded from ever criticizing China.

Tell you what, name one person thats never been a hypocrite at least once in their life.

Now, who can actually point out hypocrisy in this world? 5 yr old kids?

You starter off by saying most everyone is a hypocrite in some way so hyprocisy should never be pointed out.

Everyone just sees hypocrisy and keeps it to themself?

You ever see hypocrisy at your workplace? You just stay silent?

One can point out hypocrisy without doing it in a manner that makes it seem like one thinks that he/she is any better.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
One can point out hypocrisy without doing it in a manner that makes it seem like one thinks that he/she is any better.

hmmm

so it's not about pointing out hypocrisy that you have an issue with. It's all about the presentation for you?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

So your whole issue with everyone that's pointing out LeBron's hypocrisy is that everyone is making it seem like "one thinks that he/she is any better."

So, if none of us gave off those vibes, you wouldn't have an issue.

Basically, your issue is not with anyone pointing out hypocrisy, you're just not happy with the presentation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I don't know how many times I have to say it. But calling out American consumers (lecturing Bron) as hypocrites doesn't mean LBJ is innocent.

As true as that may be, the criticism is without merit, as has also been repeatedly pointed out. Consumers are just that. They are not spokespeople who have been caught talking out of both sides of their mouth for personal convenience.

The idea of making this about the people calling LeBron out is just flat out wrong.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

We have read Morey’s tweet, would any of think that he was misinformed by the words he chose to tweet? I would have no idea. But then again, his tweet didn’t cause me to miss out on marketing my company on the Laker’s dime. Asking Silver to punish Morey for his tweet makes Lebron look like a spoiled third grader.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We have read Morey’s tweet, would any of think that he was misinformed by the words he chose to tweet? I would have no idea. But then again, his tweet didn’t cause me to miss out on marketing my company on the Laker’s dime. Asking Silver to punish Morey for his tweet makes Lebron look like a spoiled third grader.

For one last time, that's not what Lebron said. Here's the full context:

Quote:
"I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation, and if he was, then so be it," James said. "I have no idea, but that is just my belief. Because when you say things or do things, if you are doing it and you know the people that can be affected by it and the families and individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed as well. And also social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well, but that's just my belief."

Soon after speaking with reporters, James took to social media to "clear up the confusion."

"I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I'm not discussing the substance. Others can talk about that," James said in a tweet.

Now, if you disagree with Lebron about the ramifications of the tweet for the NBA players who were in China, I can respect that opinion. But most of the posts in this thread, and elsewhere, are based on the premise that Lebron said something that he really didn't say.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

As true as that may be, the criticism is without merit, as has also been repeatedly pointed out. Consumers are just that. They are not spokespeople who have been caught talking out of both sides of their mouth for personal convenience.

The idea of making this about the people calling LeBron out is just flat out wrong.

I never said consumers are spokespeople. And I never said consumers can't criticize Lebron's comments.

I'm not trying to make it about Lebron OR the people calling Lebron out. I'm saying both.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:
"I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation, and if he was, then so be it," James said. "I have no idea, but that is just my belief. Because when you say things or do things, if you are doing it and you know the people that can be affected by it and the families and individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed as well. And also social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well, but that's just my belief."

Soon after speaking with reporters, James took to social media to "clear up the confusion."

"I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I'm not discussing the substance. Others can talk about that," James said in a tweet.

Now, if you disagree with Lebron about the ramifications of the tweet for the NBA players who were in China, I can respect that opinion. But most of the posts in this thread, and elsewhere, are based on the premise that Lebron said something that he really didn't say.

Interesting, my post and yours both credit Lebron as saying that Morey was potentially misinformed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

Except that is what he said.

It wasn't until he got heat for it that he came up with the "clarification". And none of what LeBron said indicates that Morey was misinformed or "uneducated".

And he did ask Silver why he wasn't punishing Morey.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I never said consumers are spokespeople. And I never said consumers can't criticize Lebron's comments.

I'm not trying to make it about Lebron OR the people calling Lebron out. I'm saying both.

And I am pointing out why that attempt to do so doesn't hold up.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

The parts in your computer or phone you're using right now. Those were made in China. The company who produces those parts is controlled by and funds the Chinese government. The same Chinese government that can oppress it's people without international repercussion.
Check the tags on the clothes in your closet. Same story.

Please don't respond by saying, that doesn't make LBJ innocent. I know it doesn't. He deserves the heat he's taking. But he's not the only inconsistent one in the equation.

It's like skinning minks and making animal cruelty posters on their coats.
Or engraving an anti game hunting slogan on a bunch of rhino horns you've paid for.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The parts in your computer or phone you're using right now. Those were made in China. The company who produces those parts is controlled by and funds the Chinese government. The same Chinese government that can oppress it's people without international repercussion.

Please don't respond by saying, that doesn't make LBJ innocent. I know it doesn't. He deserves the heat he's taking. But he's not the only inconsistent one in the equation.

Or engraving an anti game hunting slogan on a rhino horn.

Again, you are missing the point entirely. None of that in anyway negates people's right to point out the hypocrisy in LeBron expecting his ability to express his political views to be unrestricted while slamming others for expressing theirs.

There's nothing in that which has anything to do with where consumers get their products.

You are attempting to make a comparison that couldn't be more apples to oranges.

Now if people were calling out LeBron for having a contract with Nike while they sit at home on their Apple computers and sporting their Nike shoes, you'd have a point. But that is not what the discussion is about, and not what he was called out for.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Again, you are missing the point entirely. None of that in anyway negates people's right to point out the hypocrisy in LeBron expecting to express his political views to be unrestricted while slamming others for expressing theirs. There's nothing in that which has anything to do with where consumers get their products. You are attempting to make a comparison that couldn't be more apples to oranges.

For the millionth time.
I NEVER SAID IT NEGATES PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO POINT OUT HYPOCRISY!
I'm encouraging people to practice what they preach.
Do both! Lecture Lebron. And minimize the money coming out of your pocket that goes to the people brutalizing Hong Kong protestors.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Again, you are missing the point entirely. None of that in anyway negates people's right to point out the hypocrisy in LeBron expecting to express his political views to be unrestricted while slamming others for expressing theirs. There's nothing in that which has anything to do with where consumers get their products. You are attempting to make a comparison that couldn't be more apples to oranges.

For the millionth time.
Do both! Lecture Lebron. And minimize the money coming out of your pocket that goes to the people brutalizing Hong Kong protestors.

Then why bring up something that has nothing to do with the issue at hand in an attempt to make those criticizing him part of the discussion? You used the word "both".

People's consumer habits have ZERO to do with the conversation.

The issue at hand is that LeBron, a vocal public figure, does not want to be told to "shut up and dribble". But he's perfectly fine with telling Morey to "shut up and dribble".

Nothing in the discussion of that simple, very clear issue has anything to do with what people are wearing on their feet or typing on with their fingers when they discuss the actual topic at hand. You are conflating things and creating a strawmen saying that people critical of LeBron's comment about Morey shouldn't "throw stones in glass houses". The intent of that comment is clear - it's an attempt to say there is hypocrisy on the part of the the critics.

There's no "glass house" here that has anything to do with people's consumerism. This is about LeBron wanting to be able to speak his mind freely while criticizing someone else for speaking their mind freely. There is nothing in that controversy that introduces the aspect of the consumer habits of those discussing it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You are conflating things and creating a strawmen saying that people critical of LeBron's comment about Morey shouldn't "throw stones in glass houses".
All I can do is laugh at this. I've said in this thread a million times people have the right to criticize lebron even though they're hypocrites themselves. The one time I mentioned stones and glass houses was in reference to myself.

We all agree that Lebron is wrong for his comments. I've never said otherwise.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

What would you say to someone who donates to the NRA. Then criticizes Trump for not doing anything about gun legislation even though Trump said he would after the mass shootings?

I would tell that someone. I'm glad you are holding Trump accountable to his words. I'm glad you're fighting for common sense gun law. You are in the right! Trump's a liar/hypocrite/says whatever is politically expedient at the time. But could you also stop donating to the NRA please.

And if they told me, them donating to the NRA has nothing to do with it. I'd think the same thing I'm thinking right now.

Lebron is in the wrong. And he is a symptom, to an illness we're all paying to have.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

For the millionth time.

And for the millionth time, it has nothing to do with consuming Chinese products.

If Morey tweeted something about the US n LeBron came out and said he needs to “shut up and dribble” - people would point out his inconsistent stances.

If Morey tweeted something about Mexico n LeBron came out and said he needs to “shut up and dribble” - people would point out his inconsistent stances.

If Morey tweeted something about Canada n LeBron came out and said he needs to “shut up and dribble” - people would point out his inconsistent stances.

It’d be like if Morey tweeted about Trump and the USA and LeBron told him to shut up and dribble and you’re like American consumers who use iPhones n wear Nike’s made in China shouldn’t criticize LBJ (at least not until they stop buying products made in China)

Again, NOTHING TO DO WITH CONSUMING CHINESE PRODUCTS.

To point out how irrelevant your position is - it’d be like if you said American Consumers who buy products made in Turkey are hypocrites if they call out LBJ. What’s consuming Turkish products have to do with anything?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
To point out how irrelevant your position is - it’d be like if you said American Consumers who buy products made in Turkey are hypocrites if they call out LBJ. What’s consuming Turkish products have to do with anything?

If LBJ said his comments about Turkey. You'd be right. But he said them about China.

We all agree LBJ is wrong.

To you guys, that's end of converation. To me that is just step 1A to the conversation.

I can't say LBJ's comments matter, and at the same time say the issue he's talking about (Chinese oppression) doesn't. Sorry.

Chinese oppression is only tolerated because of the $ the Chinese government makes.

I will choose to identify the symptom (Lebron's hypcrisy) and the disease (Chinese influence). The most frustrating thing to me is I know you guys. The disease does matters to you guys as well.
But I understand your focus on the symptom. I truly agree and understand. I hope that's enough. Because ignoring Chinese influence as a whole (beyond LBJ) isn't an option for me.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
You are conflating things and creating a strawmen saying that people critical of LeBron's comment about Morey shouldn't "throw stones in glass houses".
All I can do is laugh at this. I've said in this thread a million times people have the right to criticize lebron even though they're hypocrites themselves. The one time I mentioned stones and glass houses was in reference to myself.

We all agree that Lebron is wrong for his comments. I've never said otherwise.

There's no hypocrisy at play in this scenario.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If LBJ said his comments about Turkey. You'd be right. But he said them about China.

And what exactly did he say about China?

He said he doesn’t know enough about what’s going on between Hong Kong and China.

His whole platform was about Morey making a social justice statement.

It wasn’t about the statement being about China. It could have been about anything.

His whole platform was Morey needs to shut up and dribble.

——————-

But anyways, you’re whole platform is - if LBJ said something about Turkey hypocritically, then iPhone users and Nike sneaker wearers can call him out?

This is your whole platform?

So let me get this straight. If Morey made a statement about anything else other than China and LeBron tells him to shut up and dribble, then iPhone users and Nike sneaker wearers can speak up in defense of Morey and you’d have no problem with it?

And also, I want to get straight that you only have a problem with iPhone users and Nike sneaker wearers?

Landline users and flip flop wearers are ok to stand up for Morey? It’s only iPhone users and Nike sneaker wearers who can’t stand up for Morey?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

But anyways, you’re whole platform is - if LBJ said something about Turkey hypocritically, then iPhone users and Nike sneaker wearers can call him out?

This is your whole platform?

No not at all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: