Hot Takes Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

^^^that is the thing....none of those songs talk about huntin' and fishin' or fightin'......and seriously, if we want to talk about a music genre that murders the English language and proper grammar / pronunciation....I can think of some that are far more egregious than Country.

I love country music. It us uniquely American and speaks to the emotions of life. I do not hunt, fish, drive a jacked up pickup or display confederate flags. Grandparents in my family are referred to a "Mamaw" and "Papaw", and nothing melts my heart more than when my daughter refers to me as "daddy"...and it usually lightens my wallet because the standard is "dad".

I actually like when Stapleton and Timberlake work together....but I am probably a little higher than most on the range of Timberlakes talents.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Cream
Get on top
Cream
You will cop
Cream
Don't you stop
Cream
Sh-boogie bop

Manic Monday was about on par with The Bangles' talent. I like Hazy Shade Of Winter, but I'm not even sure if that's their own song. If so, it's their best written song, easily.(EDIT: It's not.) He wrote Nothing Compares 2 U for Sinead, which didn't have the sexual intent. Those were sound lyrics. Every artist has bad songs here and there. I think Prince's most heartfelt stuff were not his sex songs. Purple Rain and When Doves Cry. Controversy was a good early one about his identity. The Beautiful Ones is a great non-hit from PR 84 (shoutout to KB/CliffordBrown, we both like this one). From the sex category, Little Red Corvette is a clever music product.

Listen to this'n. This takes you on a journey, man. I was workin part time at a 5 'n Dime, my boss was Mr. McGee...

I was never much of a fan of Prince. For me, he falls into the category of "Some good songs, but not my cup of tea." There's nothing wrong with that. I'd put Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and many others into the same category. I never had much use for Prince's on-stage persona.

However, Prince always struck me as a musical genius. His music was always interesting and often innovative. His weak spot was lyrics. If that is really such a bad thing, we should trash Elton John, who didn't write his own lyrics, and probably a few other superstars if we thought about it.

Prince had some reflective tunes lyric wise.Though most of those weren’t the hits. Check out the lyrics on Sign O the Times, I think that would be one good example.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Cream
Get on top
Cream
You will cop
Cream
Don't you stop
Cream
Sh-boogie bop

Manic Monday was about on par with The Bangles' talent. I like Hazy Shade Of Winter, but I'm not even sure if that's their own song. If so, it's their best written song, easily.(EDIT: It's not.) He wrote Nothing Compares 2 U for Sinead, which didn't have the sexual intent. Those were sound lyrics. Every artist has bad songs here and there. I think Prince's most heartfelt stuff were not his sex songs. Purple Rain and When Doves Cry. Controversy was a good early one about his identity. The Beautiful Ones is a great non-hit from PR 84 (shoutout to KB/CliffordBrown, we both like this one). From the sex category, Little Red Corvette is a clever music product.

Listen to this'n. This takes you on a journey, man. I was workin part time at a 5 'n Dime, my boss was Mr. McGee...

I was never much of a fan of Prince. For me, he falls into the category of "Some good songs, but not my cup of tea." There's nothing wrong with that. I'd put Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and many others into the same category. I never had much use for Prince's on-stage persona.

However, Prince always struck me as a musical genius. His music was always interesting and often innovative. His weak spot was lyrics. If that is really such a bad thing, we should trash Elton John, who didn't write his own lyrics, and probably a few other superstars if we thought about it.

I like The Boss and Billy J as well. Add Prince in and that is such a commercial trio, despite the earthier 70s Springsteen vibe. I have no doubt a majority of 40s-50s like all 3 of those to varying degrees. I wanna mention that I enjoy 80s schlock as well as more cultured popular music staples like Zep/Beatles/Stones/Cream, etc. I was blessed with the ability to take pop culture content for what it is and I can enjoy things that even I know for a fact are drivel. I give the 80s an A in creativity and innovation. Older music fans than I were scorned by the impact that MTV had on the visual appearance of groups at the turn of the decade and I get that. I was a kid in the 80s so I didn't realize that perhaps I should have had an axe to grind in that regard. I was too young to know better. I learned of older acts like Tina Turner in 84. Billy as well, his 83 songs, Uptown Girl/Longest Time. Born In USA, etc.

As for Prince, I thought his songs had more variety in subject matter than he was given credit for. Great falsetto voice and screams, he had his look down cold before he was even known -- a Madonna like flair for reinvention. From 78 to 84, almost every guitarist was overshadowed Van Halen, but Prince was still plainly a top notch player. He had his own distinctive sound that was, like Edward's, instantly recognizable in 1-2 secs. I dare say the term virtuoso could've applied by the time he died. He got better and better over time. There weren't a lot of guitarists in the 80s who could've reproduced his tone and talent on Let's Go Crazy, for example. He also had the requisite dance moves for his genre of music. I respect the dude for the showmanship and talent, same as Jackson, tho Jax had to hire Eddie and Slash.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^that is the thing....none of those songs talk about huntin' and fishin' or fightin'......and seriously, if we want to talk about a music genre that murders the English language and proper grammar / pronunciation....I can think of some that are far more egregious than Country.

I love country music. It us uniquely American and speaks to the emotions of life. I do not hunt, fish, drive a jacked up pickup or display confederate flags. Grandparents in my family are referred to a "Mamaw" and "Papaw", and nothing melts my heart more than when my daughter refers to me as "daddy"...and it usually lightens my wallet because the standard is "dad".

I actually like when Stapleton and Timberlake work together....but I am probably a little higher than most on the range of Timberlakes talents.

I’m going to speak in generalizations here. Modern country is mostly ‘70s American light rock slightly repackaged. Heck, the early work of The Eagles is country music with a Southern California twist. You could repackage a lot of material by The Doobie Brothers, America, The Carpenters, Jackson Browne, Jim Croce, James Taylor, and many others as country music. In fact, modern country artists cover those songs from time to time. There were a lot of artists who straddled the line back then, like Linda Ronstadt and Glenn Campbell.

There is still plenty of traditional country music in the Hank Williams, Sr. sense. But today it is a much broader genre. It isn’t really linked to any specific regional group. So when I see people take pot shots at it, I just sort of shake my head.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I like The Boss and Billy J as well. Add Prince in and that is such a commercial trio, despite the earthier 70s Springsteen vibe. I have no doubt a majority of 40s-50s like all 3 of those to varying degrees. I wanna mention that I enjoy 80s schlock as well as more cultured popular music staples like Zep/Beatles/Stones/Cream, etc. I was blessed with the ability to take pop culture content for what it is and I can enjoy things that even I know for a fact are drivel. I give the 80s an A in creativity and innovation. Older music fans than I were scorned by the impact that MTV had on the visual appearance of groups at the turn of the decade and I get that. I was a kid in the 80s so I didn't realize that perhaps I should have had an axe to grind in that regard. I was too young to know better. I learned of older acts like Tina Turner in 84. Billy as well, his 83 songs, Uptown Girl/Longest Time. Born In USA, etc.

Just recently, I’ve been listening to a SiriusXM channel that plays a lot of ‘80s music. I’ve been struck by how good a lot of it was. I concur in giving the ‘80s an A in creativity and innovation. There was plenty of true schlock, just like in every other decade. But there was a lot of material that stands the test of time.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

^^Always had on country music back in the day as Laker games were on KLAC 570 (format switched from country to big bands/Sinatra/Bennett in '93, then sports in'05) : George Jones, Merle Haggard, George Strait, Mel Tillis, Ronnie Milsap, Alabama, Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Barbara Mandrell, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn and many others on rotation. Still prefer traditional country over modern, and no, I don't have a confederate flag stashed somewhere either.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Just recently, I’ve been listening to a SiriusXM channel that plays a lot of ‘80s music. I’ve been struck by how good a lot of it was. I concur in giving the ‘80s an A in creativity and innovation. There was plenty of true schlock, just like in every other decade. But there was a lot of material that stands the test of time.

Oh most definitely. X, The Replacement, XTC, Depeche Mode, R.E.M., Talking Heads . . . and that's just getting started.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Vegas is fun even when you spend $0 on restaurants, shopping, or gambling

beer tastes like garbage and the drunkenness isn't worth the taste or the unpleasant fullness in your belly

your move, aholes
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Tara Reid is actually hot despite some bad publicity.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

George Carlin is overrated

I am the Walrus is the best Beatles song

All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix is the best cover song ever

Counting championships when talking about individual players' greatness is tired, and inaccurate. For all sports. Except maybe tennis, even then its still a little inaccurate.

Norm MacDonald is one of the funniest people on the planet, but his standup is only okay.

Mitch Hedberg is underrated. If he were alive now, his twitter would be proof of his hilarity. His joke writing would be perfect for twitter.

Joaquin phoenix is the best living actor.

Football sucks.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

time to lock this up
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Prince was just a cheesy combination of Chuck Berry and James Brown.

This terrible take burns hotter than the center of the sun.

I had to log out for a few hours after reading.

And this is coming from a guy who posted a ling list of cheesy redneck songs that bring him to tears.

good music is good music....you and I clearly have very different definitions of the word "redneck". I think any father or someone that is old enough to have lost people in this life would appreciate much of my list. Finally, if you can listen to someone like Chris Stapleton and not "feel" the emotion in his voice and lyrics, then I would question your overall ability to appreciate any genre of music with any depth.

1. I consider redneck music to be music made by and/or for people who like songs filled with Huntin’ and Fishin’ and Fussin’ and Fightin’ (and a fear of the letter g on the end of a word like it was a Yankee) and good ol’ boys wearin’ shirts as loud and simple as they are, who persist in referring to their father as daddy. In other words, music you might hear coming from a jacked up ford pickup with a confederate flag on it.

2. I’m a father of four, but while I never took them to a tractor pull, taught them how to clean and eat possum from the side of the road, or married their aunt, I think I did ok. Granted, none of them have any interest in farm animals, nor do they call their grandparents pawpaw and mawmaw so you might disagree.

3. Chris Stapleton has an amazing voice, and like prince surmounting his lyrical lacks, sometimes his musicianship overcomes the genre he has chosen. But he should never do another duet with Justin Timberlake.

3. I might be yank(ee)ing your chain a little...

I hope this is sarcasm cause if it’s not... it’s incredible ignorance bordering on racism. You should probably listen to some Stapleton music because you clearly haven’t.

Although I agree the Timberlake duet was a bad move.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Tara Reid is actually hot despite some bad publicity.

Was*
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^^Always had on country music back in the day as Laker games were on KLAC 570 (format switched from country to big bands/Sinatra/Bennett in '93, then sports in'05) : George Jones, Merle Haggard, George Strait, Mel Tillis, Ronnie Milsap, Alabama, Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Barbara Mandrell, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn and many others on rotation. Still prefer traditional country over modern, and no, I don't have a confederate flag stashed somewhere either.

Modern country music is closer to pop music than it is country these days. This is why it has widespread appeal to the masses, on the other hand it has lost its edge.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
I saw Chris Stapleton live a few summers back. Incredible singer, songwriter and performer.

Stapleton is the real deal for sure.

I’m not some diehard country guy at all but he’s one of the best musicians of all time IMO.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Theseus wrote:

time to lock this up

Naw, just a perma-ban.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
I saw Chris Stapleton live a few summers back. Incredible singer, songwriter and performer.

I’m not some diehard country guy at all but he’s one of the best musicians of all time IMO.

This horrendous take registers at a level the Scoville scale doesn’t recognize.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

This horrendous take registers at a level the Scoville scale doesn’t recognize.

Perma-bans all over the place tonight!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

beer tastes like garbage and the drunkenness isn't worth the taste or the unpleasant fullness in your belly

your move, aholes

You get an “Amen!” from me.

Let me see if I can do this:

Craft Brews are like business cards in American Psycho.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

I'd go even further and say that the world would be significantly better off without any alcohol consumption whatsoever.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah, time for lots of perma-bans.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject:

Austin BBQ was just ok
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

big cities are dumb
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject:

fake boobs are ok
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Leon Russell, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson is about all the country I can enjoy. Most contemporary country strikes me as vacuous southern rhetoric, with very repetitive song structure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: