DEFENSE Wins Championships
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
ducasse wrote:
The defense looks great, better than expected. Is that defensive effort affecting their ability to make shots? I know it's early but the three point shooting seemingly hasn't improved, statistically worse so far this year than last year, with more open looks going to what have been historically better shooters to no avail.

I am glad you clarified three point shooting, which is a abysmal. Our overall FG% is the 2nd highest in the league.

This was a tweet from Trudell a few days ago:

The Lakers haven’t been hitting their 3’s just yet amidst this 6-1 start (31.7%, 25th in NBA). They’re in the bottom half of the league in most ranges outside 5 feet. Yet they’re scoring so much at the rim (NBA best 70.9% on 32.4 attempts), they’re still 5th in FG% (47.0%).

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1192177523750293504
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Yea not really worried as long they keep the opponents a point less than us. But I dont like they are exerting this much energy on defense early in the season.

That is EXACTLY where we want them exerting energy! Guys can always muster up the energy to play offense. It's when they drop their heads, hands, eyes, miss rotations, etc., that kill the team.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Spoelstra talks about Lakers defense, cued up to where the discussion starts:

Last edited by ducasse on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
MDA quietly leaves the thread.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

The offense will come around. Not any team can shut opponents down to close a game the way the Lakers have repeatedly so far this year. Offense comes and goes, but bringing the defense every night means you're in every game, and it wears the other side down in a 7 game series.

Great shut down defense and 2 superstars who can score from anywhere? I think we'll sort the rest out. I like our chances.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Yea not really worried as long they keep the opponents a point less than us. But I dont like they are exerting this much energy on defense early in the season.

That is EXACTLY where we want them exerting energy! Guys can always muster up the energy to play offense. It's when they drop their heads, hands, eyes, miss rotations, etc., that kill the team.

Season is a marathon not a sprint... You don't want this team to burn out too fast.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I still have to see how we match up against some of the other top contenders. Too early to tell but the team looks very promising.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Every team we have beaten has looked pretty good at the time they took the beating. The Heat were 6-2 when they got pasted. The Jazz is 6-3, the Spurs and Mavs have each only lost 3 games and were at home.

I don't see those teams as top contenders... I'm more referring to teams like the Clippers fully healthy, 76ers, Bucks, and Nuggets.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

88% Miami shots contested
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

sauce?
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Season is a marathon not a sprint... You don't want this team to burn out too fast.

Gotta build those habits. Would you rather Lakers play casual defense and stock up on Ls?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
sauce?

mod
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

Looks like the front office really knows what they doing.

They built a group of guys with great defense and paired Them with Vogel a great defensive coach.

Although Dwight Howard was Part luck as That was more due to Cousins injury

Last edited by lar9149 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

governator wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
sauce?

mod

epak wrote:
Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter 1m

After another impressive defensive effort, @KingJames deserved to sit for the @SpectrumSN walkoff 📺. He helped limit Miami to 80 points (14 in 4th Q). Frank Vogel said LAL’s analytics team shared that they contested 88% of MIA’s shots, which he called unheard of. LAL are 7-1.

--Anonymous
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

Defense is all about 'Commitment' and obviously this team is willing to commit on that side of the ball.

Offensively they are still building chemistry and will soon figure it all out and when they do...

We're simply talking over the course of 8 games where the team stands 7-1. If you go back and watch that 1st game, with or without PG13, the Lakers were a little nervous and tentative at times...

When you're the Clippers who've proven nothing over the course of their existence, they have nothing to lose. However when you're the Lakers and you have a history of championships, there's a lot more pressure with a lot more to lose!

As the season progresses we will see less and less of that nervousness and more confidence and this team prepares to win their 17th Championship in the 2019/2020 NBA Season.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
governator wrote:

governator wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
sauce?

mod

epak wrote:
Quote:
Mike Trudell
@LakersReporter 1m

After another impressive defensive effort, @KingJames deserved to sit for the @SpectrumSN walkoff 📺. He helped limit Miami to 80 points (14 in 4th Q). Frank Vogel said LAL’s analytics team shared that they contested 88% of MIA’s shots, which he called unheard of. LAL are 7-1.

and no all contest are created equal.

Not only are about 9 out of 10 contested but these are contested by guys like AD Dwight McGee Lebron all 7 foot plus wingspans. And green is 6 10 wingspan.

Its like shooting over a large wall where you can’t see the basket. No wonder why the Heat were cold from 3
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:

I posted this in DB's thread, but here it is.

AD yesterday - he defended 18 shots. Only 1 went in. 1/18 shooting on AD for Heat players. That is dominant.

When you have AD, then you bring in Dwight. Dwight has maybe the best hands you'll see of a big guy in the league. And great footwork on D. Great power base. He contested 1/4, and for the season, Dwight is at 40.9% on FG defense. Factor Dwight is switching a lot and he is defending against a lot of guards, which make his numbers even better.

Lebron his D yesterday was 1/5. 20%. For the season, he is at 39% or less on DFG percentage. That is fantastic.

Avery Bradley under 40%, at 38-39% also as a guard. For the season.

With Dwight, AD, Lebron, Avery. We have 4 elite defenders. AD is playing dominant defense. Can't say enough about AD's defense.

I don't think since Boston's 2007-2008 team have we seen defensive talent and execution like this. Still early, lets see what happens in the playoffs and as the season evolves, but the talent is there to become an absolute powerhouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

AD yesterday - he defended 18 shots. Only 1 went in. 1/18 shooting on AD for Heat players. That is dominant.

When you have AD, then you bring in Dwight. Dwight has maybe the best hands you'll see of a big guy in the league. And great footwork on D. Great power base. He contested 1/4, and for the season, Dwight is at 40.9% on FG defense. Factor Dwight is switching a lot and he is defending against a lot of guards, which make his numbers even better.

Lebron his D yesterday was 1/5. 20%. For the season, he is at 39% or less on DFG percentage. That is fantastic.

With Dwight, AD, Lebron, Avery. We have 4 elite defenders. AD is playing dominant defense. Can't say enough about AD's defense.

I don't think since Boston's 2007-2008 team have we seen defensive talent and execution like this. Still early, lets see what happens in the playoffs and as the season evolves, but the talent is there to become an absolute powerhouse.

G-A-N-G-S-T-A
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
LAII wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I still have to see how we match up against some of the other top contenders. Too early to tell but the team looks very promising.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Every team we have beaten has looked pretty good at the time they took the beating. The Heat were 6-2 when they got pasted. The Jazz is 6-3, the Spurs and Mavs have each only lost 3 games and were at home.

I don't see those teams as top contenders... I'm more referring to teams like the Clippers fully healthy, 76ers, Bucks, and Nuggets.

Sorry I just dont see the 76ers and Nuggets doing much against this team. The Lakers one bad quarter against the Clippers doesnt make them world beaters in my mind.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

Have to admit I did not see this level of extended commitment or energy on defense when looking at the team before the season started. Overall chemistry much better then expected too.

Thrilled to see them playing this way so early in the season. Setting the standard and culture for the season I hope.

This is the level of defense that needs to be on the court every night if they want to truly contend in the WC.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

I'll play devil's advocate: There's no way this level of defense is sustainable. We're at a 96.5. The best DRtg ever was the 10-11 Bulls at 100.3. We're at 96.5. Hopefully our offense catches up.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

G-A-N-G-S-T-A

If teams start to get smart, the philosophy will be if AD is guarding you don’t take the shot. 1/18 that is sick!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

Stan Van Gundy was gushing about AD and Dwight last night. He mentioned how it’s 2 of the league’s best defensive players...on the same team.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

This is where it’s tough, you need that energy on both sides. If you have legendary defense but you have ass offense then you lose.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Looks like the front office really knows what they doing.

They built a group of guys with great defense and paired Them with Vogel a great defensive coach.

Although Dwight Howard was Part luck as That was more due to Cousins injury

For the most part I'm pleased with this roster (except for lack of WINGS WINGS WINGS) but let's be honest, we've pretty much lucked into 2 of our 3 best acquisitions: AB and Dwight.

We should thank Memphis because without them......

Whether luck or strategy, we're here because of the pieces, the coaching, and the metal commitment to that end. (and we might luck into Iggy)

LG should pitch in for a holiday basket for the Grizz.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Watching Lakers Compacto on Spectrum, I didn't realize we limited Miami to 4 point during the last 6 minutes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: