School shooting in Santa Clarita
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

it's been reported that the shooter posted "have a nice day at school tomorrow" on social media

after the attack and after he'd shot himself in the head, someone else went into his social media account and deleted that post. yikes
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

I have three teenage children in Santa Clarita schools...three!!
They don't go to Saugus but it definitely hits home.....
This is not a gun issue......let's get that out of the way first...
This is a mental health issue...

Students describe this kid as "normal", yet he chose to kill students on his actual birthday. Is that normal or does that sound like a mental health issue?

Folks ask why does this happen all the time.....it's not always the same story but most have similar attributes, mental health issues.

This shooter lost his father a little less than 2 years ago...pretty sure that caused mental anguish......I don't know much more about him but obviously he was losing it.....

I like to see the focus more on mental health when these things come up.....

My prayers to the parents of the students effected by this senseless act.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Seems like we should at least expand mental healthcare nationally. Jimmy Carter was not considered to be a successful President, but 1 thing he was ahead of was on mental healthcare. He signed this into law in 1980, then Reagan and Congress repealed most of the law in 1981.

Anyways, RIP to the victims. Stay safe out there people.

Without getting too political, sounds like any time someone or a group tries to help with real issues, someone else tries to take it away or diminish it.

Mental illness is a real thing, yet some very powerful people just don't care and look what happens.

Bye.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Everyone I know from Saugus High is in shock and disbelief. That school is never going to be the same.

I posted this on Facebook just now:

Quote:
I've always been very selective about whom I've told this to to avoid seeming paranoid, but I suppose now's a good time to finally admit it to everyone. I never felt safe at Saugus High. (Or even at Arroyo Seco, really.) There were people there whom I felt were clearly unstable and potentially dangerous-- people who were angry at teachers, at other students, at themselves, or at the world, and who simply didn't have the impulse control to keep this anger in check.

I would go out of my way to minimize interactions with these people so I didn't end up on their hit list. It didn't always work out, and in the back of my mind I was always worried about what they might do someday. I really disliked when they would sit behind me in class (or wherever) because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to react in time when they finally snapped.

I am in no way trying to stigmatize mental illness (most mentally ill people are not violent) or suggest that the people I just described should even be characterized as mentally ill. I'm saying that there were people there who had the potential to do something like this and there was nothing-- metal detectors, security guards, therapy, etc., literally *nothing*-- that would stop them from doing so.

It didn't have to be a gun. It could have been a knife, an axe, a bat, explosives, anything really. It was unlikely that anyone would act out on their violent impulses in any one given year, but it wasn't *that* unlikely.

And I went through two years of junior high and four years of high school with this thought in the back of my head. And one day, it finally happened.

Are you saying for these people during your time there, you saw incidents for each that showed their anger? I'm not trying to pin you down or criticize, I'm wondering if that's why you had that feeling, that it was based on specific stuff you saw around that they did back then?
Edit: basically wondering whether Saugus area is prone to trouble more than average school.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Everyone I know from Saugus High is in shock and disbelief. That school is never going to be the same.

Quote:
I've always been very selective about whom I've told this to to avoid seeming paranoid, but I suppose now's a good time to finally admit it to everyone. I never felt safe at Saugus High. (Or even at Arroyo Seco, really.) There were people there whom I felt were clearly unstable and potentially dangerous-- people who were angry at teachers, at other students, at themselves, or at the world, and who simply didn't have the impulse control to keep this anger in check.

I would go out of my way to minimize interactions with these people so I didn't end up on their hit list. It didn't always work out, and in the back of my mind I was always worried about what they might do someday. I really disliked when they would sit behind me in class (or wherever) because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to react in time when they finally snapped.

I am in no way trying to stigmatize mental illness (most mentally ill people are not violent) or suggest that the people I just described should even be characterized as mentally ill. I'm saying that there were people there who had the potential to do something like this and there was nothing-- metal detectors, security guards, therapy, etc., literally *nothing*-- that would stop them from doing so.

It didn't have to be a gun. It could have been a knife, an axe, a bat, explosives, anything really. It was unlikely that anyone would act out on their violent impulses in any one given year, but it wasn't *that* unlikely.

And I went through two years of junior high and four years of high school with this thought in the back of my head. And one day, it finally happened.

Are you saying for these people during your time there, you saw incidents for each that showed their anger? I'm not trying to pin you down or criticize, I'm wondering if that's why you had that feeling, that it was based on specific stuff you saw around that they did back then?
Edit: basically wondering whether Saugus area is prone to trouble more than average school.

Numerous incidents. Guy screaming profanity at the top of his lungs in a restaurant for a team event when something didn’t go his way. People making racist comments. Shoving complete strangers. Kid threatening to shoot a teacher and then his car. Someone slamming on the gas while I was crossing the street.

I wouldn’t say Saugus was any more unsafe than the average high school, but there were people there with a lot of pent up suburban anger. It’s scary that there was nothing in place to prevent stuff like this.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I have three teenage children in Santa Clarita schools...three!!
They don't go to Saugus but it definitely hits home.....
This is not a gun issue......let's get that out of the way first...
This is a mental health issue...

Students describe this kid as "normal", yet he chose to kill students on his actual birthday. Is that normal or does that sound like a mental health issue?

Folks ask why does this happen all the time.....it's not always the same story but most have similar attributes, mental health issues.

This shooter lost his father a little less than 2 years ago...pretty sure that caused mental anguish......I don't know much more about him but obviously he was losing it.....

I like to see the focus more on mental health when these things come up.....

My prayers to the parents of the students effected by this senseless act.

But then you have to ask yourself this question....

We have what, 300 million people in the country? The rest of the world has 7 billion people?

There are more mass shootings in the US than the rest of the world.

Are all the mental issues in the world concentrated in the US?

If WE have to "focus more on mental health" then what is the rest of the world doing that we aren't?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

There were 3 off duty LA sheriffs dropping their kids off at school, they were in the building in a minute and a half.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/cindyhydesmith/status/1195016038988967937

^^^ Send this (bleep) name to anyone and everyone affected by the shooting today

Republican who stalled another Gun Safety Bill just 45 minutes before these beautiful children were pumped full of bullets. THE ONLY NO VOTE

This (bleep) is getting an NRA paycheck

Just be sure the parents at the school see a flyer with this pigs face on it
Cindy Hyde-Smith supports mass shootings and wants America's children murdered by gunfire
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the media shouldn't cover this type of news so much since it keeps inspiring kids to continually follow this destructive path. Just like car chases. Once it starts, you have so many followers doing the same thing.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
Maybe the media shouldn't cover this type of news so much since it keeps inspiring kids to continually follow this destructive path. Just like car chases. Once it starts, you have so many followers doing the same thing.

Yup. These people are looking to be martyrs. Looking for infamy.

Once it happens it gets covered by every channel. It’s talked about and debated by everyone.

The President chimes in.

This is what they are looking for. Attention/infamy
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:

Unfortunately, Columbine is the modern day inspiration for a lot of these. There were school shootings prior to that but they didn't live up the body count/infamy/press coverage.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:

Unfortunately, Columbine is the modern day inspiration for a lot of these. There were school shootings prior to that but they didn't live up the body count/infamy/press coverage.

Don't forget coolness. The way they did it Matrix style - they were worshipped.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
focus wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Quote:

Numerous incidents. Guy screaming profanity at the top of his lungs in a restaurant for a team event when something didn’t go his way. People making racist comments. Shoving complete strangers. Kid threatening to shoot a teacher and then his car. Someone slamming on the gas while I was crossing the street.

I wouldn’t say Saugus was any more unsafe than the average high school, but there were people there with a lot of pent up suburban anger. It’s scary that there was nothing in place to prevent stuff like this.

That's pretty intense.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Children are not born this way

Our Adults fail the children
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
focus wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Quote:

That's pretty intense.

Bunch of spoiled kids with Affluenza whose parents never trained them correctly

The Wealthy father asked his son
"What would you like for your birthday, son?"

The boy replied: "Your Presence Daddy"

Chasing dollars and forgetting they have children
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

Mental instability obviously plays a huge role in these attacks; however, the unfettered access to guns is the reason for the death counts. Bats, knives, maces etc. would get nowhere close to the death counts you can get from a gun. The US has many issues but gun control is the clearest destructive factor in these attacks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

There are a number of factors involved with the propensity for mass shootings in this country, and the focus should be on all of them if we are genuinely interested in minimizing the frequency and potential for them to occur.

We don't have the luxury of saying, "we need to focus on mental health" or "guns are the problem". We need to address any and all factors that contribute to the occurrence of these horrible events.

But there are clearly ways to get started that are more immediately effective than others. The obvious one is addressing the primary factor that inflicts all the death and and injuries - the guns. To do so is without a doubt the easiest and most direct start to diminishing the loss of life, and it can go hand in hand with addressing the human factors that lead people down that dark path.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:

Yup. These people are looking to be martyrs. Looking for infamy.

Once it happens it gets covered by every channel. It’s talked about and debated by everyone.

The President chimes in.

This is what they are looking for. Attention/infamy

totally agreed, media should give such incident the same treatment a live baseball broadcast does whenever a fan runs onto the field, they just don't show that fan on camera to give him/her the attention they crave.

I understand the idea and sentiment behind this approach.

However, we are not talking about harmless events like people running on to the field at a sporting event.

Sweeping despicable events like this under the rug so as not to "give attention" to verminous murders is absolutely the last thing we should be doing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

^^^ Send this (bleep) name to anyone and everyone affected by the shooting today

Republican who stalled another Gun Safety Bill just 45 minutes before these beautiful children were pumped full of bullets. THE ONLY NO VOTE

Cindy Hyde-Smith supports mass shootings and wants America's children murdered by gunfire

California has background checks and a cooling off period. That bill has absolutely nothing to do with Saugus.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

California has background checks and a cooling off period. That bill has absolutely nothing to do with Saugus.

Thank you for the information. Correct her actions are not specifically hurting Californians but it is still another stall tactic by one party against 300 Million people
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Gun nut father probably not a big help here.

This isn't the 1800's, we aren't hunting for pheasants with muskets.

Enough of the gun nut (bleep)
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

and the kid was 16.. there's no state that allows a 16 year old to have a gun.

He should not have access to a gun.. and if the firearm wasn't properly stored.. the parents should be held responsible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

In California there isn’t a minimum age to possess a gun for bunting, and reports are that this kid was an avid hunter. So he could have the gun for hunting but not at school. Weird wrinkle in the law.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
In California there isn’t a minimum age to possess a gun for bunting, and reports are that this kid was an avid hunter. So he could have the gun for hunting but not at school. Weird wrinkle in the law.

Well, he was hunting his fellow students unfortunately.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Gun nut father probably not a big help here.

This isn't the 1800's, we aren't hunting for pheasants with muskets.

Enough of the gun nut (bleep)

Father is dead 2 years. Why is it so hard to put the blame where it belongs? Directly on the individual.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: