Buying a TV - Need some help please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Buying a TV - Need some help please!

I'm in the market for a TV and it has been a very long time since I last bought one and a lot has changed. I thought maybe there are others in a similar situation who are more experienced and could share some insight.

I'm still trying to decide if I want a 65 inch or 75 inch. I'm leaning towards 65 inches unless there is a 75 inch tv that is highly recommended and not too pricey.

The TV will be about 8-9 feet away. It will be used for video games, movies, and sports (basketball, football, soccer). It will be in the basement which only has one small window.

I browsed through rting.com and found some 65 inch models that i liked:
- Samsung Q70 for $1200
- Vizio P series Quantum X for $1200
- Sony X900F for $1100

The price of $1,200 is kind of where I want to stay for a 65 inch

I have 3 questions really
1. Out of those 3, which is the "best".
2. Is there one in that price range that is better that I did not list?
3. Is there is a 75 inch TV for $1500 or less that is comparable or better? I was looking at a 75 inch TCL 6 series but I read too many negative reviews about their screens so I took that out of consideration. At a distance of 8-9 feet I think 65 inch should suffice but I wouldn't complain about a 75 inch if it's great value.

I dont know the technicalities of TVs that much so if there is something that I overlooked or a glaring issue with any of the TV's, I appreciate any help, input and advice I can get. Thank you!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a TV - Need some help please!

LakersChamps04 wrote:
I'm in the market for a TV and it has been a very long time since I last bought one and a lot has changed. I thought maybe there are others in a similar situation who are more experienced and could share some insight.

I'm still trying to decide if I want a 65 inch or 75 inch. I'm leaning towards 65 inches unless there is a 75 inch tv that is highly recommended and not too pricey.

The TV will be about 8-9 feet away. It will be used for video games, movies, and sports (basketball, football, soccer). It will be in the basement which only has one small window.

- Samsung Q70 for $1200
- Sony X900F for $1100

3. Is there is a 75 inch TV for $1500 or less that is comparable or better? I was looking at a 75 inch TCL 6 series but I read too many negative reviews about their screens so I took that out of consideration. At a distance of 8-9 feet I think 65 inch should suffice but I wouldn't complain about a 75 inch if it's great value.

I dont know the technicalities of TVs that much so if there is something that I overlooked or a glaring issue with any of the TV's, I appreciate any help, input and advice I can get. Thank you!

Perfect timing for you huh?

Where are you shopping at? Are these black friday deals? Maybe wait a couple more days to see what really good deals are out there for you? Cyber Monday?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I have always found this to be a helpful guide:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/flatscreen#conclusion
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Paging JohnnyBravo . . . JohnnyBravo, please report to Off Topic to assist a fellow Lger . . .
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I find it hard to fathom spending more than a grand on a TV anymore. Those days are over unless you want OLED.

I bought a 55” 4K Smart TV for my garage for $330. It works fine.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the above. Spending huge money on TVs makes less sense these days.

You can get a Samsung 70 inch 4K for under $600 at Best Buy. And it's great.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I find it hard to fathom spending more than a grand on a TV anymore. Those days are over unless you want OLED.

If you are an early adopter an 8k tv costs much more than 1k
If you want the best picture quality you have to get an OLED and those usually cost over 1k.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a TV - Need some help please!

LakersChamps04 wrote:

- Samsung Q70 for $1200
- Sony X900F for $1100

My personal criteria is:
1) Picture quality (TV is something you are going to be staring at for a couple of years, you want something that replicates the colors well)
2) Inputs (You want a TV where you can plug in plenty of external devices)
3) Warranty or manufacturer support
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If you want the best picture quality you have to get an OLED and those usually cost over 1k.

Or wait a few years until there's an actual content in 8K and those TVs can be purchased at reasonable prices?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

LG OLEDs are now around 1k.

One thing to note is a lot of these companies use the same panels so sometimes you're literally paying more than the same thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a TV - Need some help please!

LakersChamps04 wrote:

- Samsung Q70 for $1200
- Sony X900F for $1100

The difference between 65" and 75" is phenomenal. Best question is how big is your wall/room. If it's on the larger end and the 65" will leave a lot of open space, I'd pony up for a 75". Nothing worse than a TV that's too small for the space. Looks ridiculous aesthetically imo.

With that said all 3 of those are fantastic TV's. They hit the usual checkmarks, high-ish peak brightnes, local dimming and wide color gamut. They're all within the same tier. Are you planning on buying local or online? The reason why I ask is if you're buying local and you have the time, the TCL 6 series pretty much can't be beat for the price. The only caveat is the panel lottery with it so you might have to return it once or twice. I'm actually going to pick up last year's 55" 6 series TCL from Costco for $399 for my niece. If you DON'T plan on buying local, all 3 of the ones you selected are damn good TV's with not much difference between one and the other. I'd go with the cheapest imo. I've seen the 75" P series as low as $1275ish.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

One thing I learned pretty early on is always get the bigger tv/monitor if you're debating 2 sizes. You will almost always regret getting the smaller one.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/premium-uhd-tvs/75--class-ru8000-premium-smart-4k-uhd-tv--2019--un75ru8000fxza/

I'd recommend something like this for sports. If gaming/movies are important to you then consider getting an OLED tv.

Most people won't be able to tell the difference.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LG OLEDs are now around 1k.

One thing to note is a lot of these companies use the same panels so sometimes you're literally paying more than the same thing.

The problem with OLEDs are the size. You can't hang a rinky dink 55" TV if your viewing room is large and you expect to have a lot of guests regardless of how good the image quality. If it's an apartment, all bets are off.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
One thing I learned pretty early on is always get the bigger tv/monitor if you're debating 2 sizes. You will almost always regret getting the smaller one.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/premium-uhd-tvs/75--class-ru8000-premium-smart-4k-uhd-tv--2019--un75ru8000fxza/

I'd recommend something like this for sports. If gaming/movies are important to you then consider getting an OLED tv.

Most people won't be able to tell the difference.

This.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

With all that said, I'd go for this one:

https://www.costco.com/vizio-75-class---px-series---4k-uhd-quantum-led-lcd-tv.product.100507880.html

Vizio PX series 75" for $1599. It's a cut above the 3 panels you listed. The benefits of that particular deal are immense. You get to purchase locally. Costco automatically adds an additional year of warranty (2 total). Purchasing through a Costco credit card adds 2 additional years of warranty (4 total). The ease with which you can make a return with Costco and their overall customer service makes it a no brainer for me at that price imo.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I agree. If you are not a videophile who is obsessed over having the best picture quality then save your money.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I agree. If you are not a videophile who is obsessed over having the best picture quality then save your money.

I agree most people should check the quality of the content they are viewing. Why get the best screen possible if you are not going to use it's capabilities?
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

https://www.costco.com/vizio-75-class---px-series---4k-uhd-quantum-led-lcd-tv.product.100507880.html

Vizio PX series 75" for $1599. It's a cut above the 3 panels you listed. The benefits of that particular deal are immense. You get to purchase locally. Costco automatically adds an additional year of warranty (2 total). Purchasing through a Costco credit card adds 2 additional years of warranty (4 total). The ease with which you can make a return with Costco and their overall customer service makes it a no brainer for me at that price imo.
Thanks everyone for your input. I saw that Costco has the 65 inch Vizio PX for $999. That might be the deal to make considering everything you said about costco. Now I'm just contemplating buying it online or going in and getting it. Ha if I go in the store i wont have to wait
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input. I saw that Costco has the 65 inch Vizio PX for $999. That might be the deal to make considering everything you said about costco. Now I'm just contemplating buying it online or going in and getting it. Ha if I go in the store i wont have to wait

Self check out with that tv would be hilarious
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

JB approved! Great choice!

Btw, I just got back from Costco. I drove in circles around the parking lot looking for an open spot and gave up. Just an fyi...it's more of a mad house than usual out there. Good luck!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

The ONLY TV I would buy and the ONLY TV I would recommend to friends and family is an LG OLED, period end of story. It is absolutely the VERY BEST picture you can buy.

Yeah, without checking, I think there are two basic sizes 65" & 55".

I don't know the OP, and you can certainly buy whatever you want, but (again) my advice would be to save up until you can afford an OLED, you will thank me....!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
The ONLY TV I would buy and the ONLY TV I would recommend to friends and family is an LG OLED, period end of story. It is absolutely the VERY BEST picture you can buy.

I don't know the OP, and you can certainly buy whatever you want, but (again) my advice would be to save up until you can afford an OLED, you will thank me....!

Why OLED?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Why OLED?

Go into a store and compare the picture quality against a non-OLED TV and you won't be asking that question.
They also have the 77" version as well, but I'm guessing not a lot of people have 5k to spend on a TV.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Why OLED?

Go into a store and compare the picture quality against a non-OLED TV and you won't be asking that question.
They also have the 77" version as well, but I'm guessing not a lot of people have 5k to spend on a TV.

Ok.

Seems to be some miscommunication.

I was hoping to understand why OLED is so much better. You took that as my challenging your advice/expertise.

Anyways, it’s cool. I found a youtube video explaining why.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

True. But he had said it had been a long time since he bought a TV so I wasn’t sure of his frame of reference. A good TV used to be over a grand. Now you can get a good TV for $500 in large sizes.

If he was an early adopter, it would not have been years since he last bought a TV. I tend not to get the latest thing because the content isn’t there yet so I will usually buy 1 generation behind, take the savings. OLED is nice though and hey if you got the money, do ittttt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: