Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Yep! I did the flu vaccine at the same time in the same arm. Tomorrow I may pay for that decision a bit but at least it’s over with. My wife tried to get the flu vaccine but something wonky with her insurance wouldn’t pay for it if she went to a pharmacy. Odd since she has the same insurance (Cigna/CVS Caremark) as me but from her place of work instead of mine. It was a CVS we went to too and they wouldn’t do it without her paying out of pocket.

I had the exact same experience getting the flu vaccine at CVS. Gave them my info and they said it wouldn’t work. So I had to pay 24.99.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
My wife and I got pfizer boosted today! Now we just need the kids to get their firsts.

you're fortunate. we had the J&J shot in April and now hear maybe its not as effective. Shouldnt mix.

The clarity and messaging has been horrible. I would go to CVS tomorrow and start the 2 shot process but the mixed reviews on mixing dosages are puzzling.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

They need to study the combinations in larger trials to see what actually happens with antibody titers before they can definitively say. Those studies aren't complete yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

Rubes in my area are making their kids walk out/sit out of school today to protest the vaccine.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
trmiv wrote:
My wife and I got pfizer boosted today! Now we just need the kids to get their firsts.

you're fortunate. we had the J&J shot in April and now hear maybe its not as effective. Shouldnt mix.

The clarity and messaging has been horrible. I would go to CVS tomorrow and start the 2 shot process but the mixed reviews on mixing dosages are puzzling.

You’re not getting mixed messaging so much as you’re getting real time questions, evidence, and answers. All three vaccines have proven remarkably good at doing what they are primarily designed to do, which is limit catastrophic danger to the recipient and secondarily to reduce transmission to and by the recipient. They have become less efficacious over time, a common phenomenon, and the vastness of the unvaccinated population spreading variants has overtopped some of the contraction and transmission protections (while they continue to perform well against hospitalization and death).

Virtually all of the chatter you are hearing is real time debate over boosters to those already vaxxed vs immunizing more faster (and the follow on debate over the willingly unvaxxed), and for whom and when boosters are most beneficial, as well as whether cross platform boosters work. There are trials underway on that, so of course all you’re going to hear us questions and opinion until concrete answers arrive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Covid caused the death of Colin Powell

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
trmiv wrote:

You’re not getting mixed messaging so much as you’re getting real time questions, evidence, and answers. All three vaccines have proven remarkably good at doing what they are primarily designed to do, which is limit catastrophic danger to the recipient and secondarily to reduce transmission to and by the recipient. They have become less efficacious over time, a common phenomenon, and the vastness of the unvaccinated population spreading variants has overtopped some of the contraction and transmission protections (while they continue to perform well against hospitalization and death).

Virtually all of the chatter you are hearing is real time debate over boosters to those already vaxxed vs immunizing more faster (and the follow on debate over the willingly unvaxxed), and for whom and when boosters are most beneficial, as well as whether cross platform boosters work. There are trials underway on that, so of course all you’re going to hear us questions and opinion until concrete answers arrive.

right but when fauci says J&J probably should have been 2 shots that's a concern. Fortunately I still approach life like everyone is infected.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Here you go:

NYT: F.D.A. to Allow ‘Mix and Match’ Approach for Covid Booster Shots

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is planning to allow Americans to receive a different Covid-19 vaccine as a booster than the one they initially received, a move that could reduce the appeal of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and provide flexibility to doctors and other vaccinators.

The government would not recommend one shot over another, and it might note that using the same vaccine as a booster when possible is preferable, people familiar with the agency’s planning said. But vaccine providers could use their discretion to offer a different brand, a freedom that state health officials have been requesting for weeks.

The approach was foreshadowed on Friday, when researchers presented the findings of a federally funded “mix and match” study to an expert committee that advises the Food and Drug Administration. The study found that recipients of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose shot who received a Moderna booster saw their antibody levels rise 76-fold in 15 days, compared with only a fourfold increase after an extra dose of Johnson & Johnson.

Federal regulators this week are aiming to greatly expand the number of Americans eligible for booster shots. The F.D.A. is expected to authorize boosters of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines by Wednesday evening; it could allow the mix-and-match approach by then. The agency last month authorized booster shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for at least six months after the second dose.

An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will take up the booster issue on Thursday; the agency will then issue its own recommendations. By the end of the week, tens of millions more Americans could be eligible for extra shots.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:
trmiv wrote:

right but when fauci says J&J probably should have been 2 shots that's a concern. Fortunately I still approach life like everyone is infected.

So a vaccine developed under extreme time pressure that’s pretty safe (the blood clotting issue is real but really rare and a lot of otc medicines with years of use and testing have worse safety records), reasonably effective across the board and quite effective preventing death, is a concern because it needs a booster (as do the two shot MRNA vaccines, which are also quite safe and effective)? I’d say the fact that they are getting and implementing real world data in a timely fashion is pretty neat.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Here you go:

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration is planning to allow Americans to receive a different Covid-19 vaccine as a booster than the one they initially received, a move that could reduce the appeal of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and provide flexibility to doctors and other vaccinators.

The government would not recommend one shot over another, and it might note that using the same vaccine as a booster when possible is preferable, people familiar with the agency’s planning said. But vaccine providers could use their discretion to offer a different brand, a freedom that state health officials have been requesting for weeks.

The approach was foreshadowed on Friday, when researchers presented the findings of a federally funded “mix and match” study to an expert committee that advises the Food and Drug Administration. The study found that recipients of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose shot who received a Moderna booster saw their antibody levels rise 76-fold in 15 days, compared with only a fourfold increase after an extra dose of Johnson & Johnson.

Federal regulators this week are aiming to greatly expand the number of Americans eligible for booster shots. The F.D.A. is expected to authorize boosters of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines by Wednesday evening; it could allow the mix-and-match approach by then. The agency last month authorized booster shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for at least six months after the second dose.

An advisory committee of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will take up the booster issue on Thursday; the agency will then issue its own recommendations. By the end of the week, tens of millions more Americans could be eligible for extra shots.

Excellent info CL. That basically means JJ patients can receive a Moderna booster shot right? Am I reading this correct?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here you go:

Quote:

Excellent info CL. That basically means JJ patients can receive a Moderna booster shot right? Am I reading this correct?

We have to wait for the final okay, but that's what it looks like, depending on availability. I got J&J in February and took it upon myself to get a Pfizer shot in July. So I already did what they are recommending. I'll probably get my "third" shot in January.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here you go:

Quote:

We have to wait for the final okay, but that's what it looks like, depending on availability. I got J&J in February and took it upon myself to get a Pfizer shot in July. So I already did what they are recommending. I'll probably get my "third" shot in January.

How did you get a Pfizer shot if you already got J and J? Doesn’t Massachusetts have a database of who got which shot?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here you go:

Quote:

How did you get a Pfizer shot if you already got J and J? Doesn’t Massachusetts have a database of who got which shot?

I went to a free walk-in clinic where they didn't ask for ID or insurance. If I had gone to CVS and they tried to bill my insurance they probably would have turned me away. I researched it before I did it.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I went to a free walk-in clinic where they didn't ask for ID or insurance.

Me, too. However, since I met the requirements for my 3rd (booster) shot, I showed my ID, insurance card, and vaccine card, even though the person checking me in said I did not have to . . .

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Got the Pfizer booster today. Arm is sore but I’m enjoying my surge of antibodies.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Here you go:

Quote:

I went to a free walk-in clinic where they didn't ask for ID or insurance. If I had gone to CVS and they tried to bill my insurance they probably would have turned me away. I researched it before I did it.

Do the walk-in clinics ask for your name and phone number? That seems pretty odd to just not ask anyone for any information…

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Got the Pfizer booster today. Arm is sore but I’m enjoying my surge of antibodies.

Which do you think is better, three Pfizer shots or two Moderna shots? Seems Moderna lasts longer.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Do the walk-in clinics ask for your name and phone number? That seems pretty odd to just not ask anyone for any information…

It probably depends on the clinic. Some undocumented people do not/will not feel comfortable giving too much information. The same (probably) goes for people on the run and wanting to get a jab.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

By sore do you mean a slight ache at the injection point? If so, that's normal.

I checked on a package I was waiting for. I asked the agent if he'd been vaccinated. He said no. I replied I didn't think his reasons were my business because they were personal. I asked if he had children. He has a 3 year old daughter. I went on the guilt trip. I said, "You do realize you're placing your daughter at risk?" I could sense through the silence he was feeling what I was saying as I went into my spiel about why one should be vaccinated. I talked about science and the safety of the vaccine. I told him how I was deterred from taking the flu shot because of unfounded horror stories and was convinced by my pulmonologist they were just that, horror stories. I continued for about a minute. It's amazing how long an uninterrupted minute is. I dropped a lot of information. I honestly think I got through to him. I base that on the seriousness of his voice at the end of my dissertation. I sensed thoughtfulness.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

They ask for your name and contact information but don't require you to show a Driver's License or social security number or insurance information.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke: each one teach one

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

CDC must still sign off and give age bracket recommendations, etc. like they did last time.

NBC: FDA OKs Moderna, J&J boosters, along with 'mix and match' approach

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday authorized booster shots of Moderna and Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 vaccines, a move that makes boosters available for all three vaccines in the U.S.

The agency also greenlit a "mix and match" approach to boosters — that is, giving a booster shot from a different vaccine maker than the initial vaccination. For example, a person originally vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson could receive a booster shot with the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Before providers can start administering the shots, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention must sign off. An advisory panel is meeting Thursday to discuss the boosters, and CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky is expected to issue official recommendations shortly after.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Which do you think is better, three Pfizer shots or two Moderna shots? Seems Moderna lasts longer.

Really hard to compare apples to oranges, but now you can get three moderna as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Really hard to compare apples to oranges, but now you can get three moderna as well.

I think Pfizer has had the fewest reactions.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

Guidance for who can get a booster:

Quote:
CAN I GET A BOOSTER NOW?

If you got Pfizer or Moderna shots first, you’re eligible if your last dose was at least six months ago and you’re 65 or older, or are a younger adult who has health problems or a job or living conditions that put you at higher risk of severe illness or exposure to the coronavirus. Health care workers, for example, are included because they are regularly exposed to the virus and can’t come to work with even the mildest of infections.

WHAT IF I GOT THE J&J SHOT?

Anyone who got a J&J shot at least two months ago is eligible, regardless of age or other factors.

WHY ARE THERE DIFFERENT RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE DIFFERENT VACCINES?

A single shot of the J&J vaccine is less effective than two doses of the Moderna or Pfizer formulas, and health authorities decided it was important for the J&J recipients to achieve a similar level of protection. As for the timing, J&J simply tested more people with a two-month booster than one at six months. For recipients of Moderna or Pfizer vaccinations, there’s no clear data that everybody needs another dose, but immunity against infection in at least some people appeared to wane around six months.

WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO WAIT SIX MONTHS?

Experts agree that getting a booster too soon can reduce the benefit. Timing matters because the immune system gradually builds layers of defenses over months, and letting that response mature improves the chances another, later dose will provide even stronger protection.

WHAT DOES ‘MIXING AND MATCHING’ BOOSTER DOSES MEAN?

It means a booster of a different brand from your original vaccination. That gives flexibility in situations such as nursing homes where only one type of booster might be brought in. It also gives people at risk of a rare side effect linked to one kind of vaccine the option of switching to a different shot.

SHOULD I SEEK OUT A DIFFERENT VACCINE?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Food and Drug Administration didn’t recommend that people switch but left open the option. Preliminary results of a government study found an extra dose of any vaccine triggered a boost of virus-fighting antibodies regardless of what shots people got to begin with. For people who originally got a J&J vaccination, the Moderna and Pfizer shots appeared to offer a stronger boost. But researchers cautioned the study was too small to say one combination is better than another.

link
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 287, 288, 289 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 288 of 318
Jump to: