Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
SweetP wrote:
I don't think there would be any issue mixing and matching if a booster becomes available.

The vaccines are all doing the same thing, with slightly different "delivery systems", they are triggering your immune system to react. If a booster comes out either to better cover a variant of the virus or just to re-trigger the immune response because the response starts to fade, the "flavor" of your initial vaccine should not matter.

Keep in mind that the recommendations are based on what has been tested. I imagine that boosters will be equally effective, but they'll have to verify that.

Why not just get the Moderna sequence in addition to the Pfizer sequence once supply is sufficient?

Mixology 101. The Moderna mixes well with Whiskey & Rum whereas the Phizer only delivers with Vodka & Gin. Trying to mix the Moderna with the Phizer is basically like mixing a White Russian with a Grey Goose chaser. YUCK!

With the current variant prevalence,. The most promising mixology is Moderna on the rocks with Tequila Phizate chaser...

Or you could just whip up an old fashioned J&J
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Thoughts on going to the dentist after being fully vaccinated?

With the exception of front-line covid treatment settings, you're safer in clinical settings (like the dentist) than you are in the general population. The PPE and protocols are all there, and they're likely all vaccinated by now. I skipped my summer visit last year, but this year I've already been (post-covid and pre-vaccination). If you want to be sure, call them and check on their status & protocols.

I went today and it turns out you were right. It’s one patient in the dentist’s room at a time with nobody in the waiting room. The dentist was vaccinated and wearing a mask the whole time. They also take your temperature before you go in. Probably less dangerous than a grocery store.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

With the exception of front-line covid treatment settings, you're safer in clinical settings (like the dentist) than you are in the general population. The PPE and protocols are all there, and they're likely all vaccinated by now. I skipped my summer visit last year, but this year I've already been (post-covid and pre-vaccination). If you want to be sure, call them and check on their status & protocols.

I went today and it turns out you were right. It’s one patient in the dentist’s room at a time with nobody in the waiting room. The dentist was vaccinated and wearing a mask the whole time. They also take your temperature before you go in. Probably less dangerous than a grocery store.

My restaurant shares a hallway with a dental office. They run a pretty tight ship. People wait outside until their appointment is ready and then they call them in.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

My restaurant shares a hallway with a dental office. They run a pretty tight ship. People wait outside until their appointment is ready and then they call them in.

Does your restaurant have dine indoors yet? How does that work if so?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Does your restaurant have dine indoors yet? How does that work if so?

Of course. Indoor has been available around a month ago. Limited capacity but it doesn't really impact us as we're mainly takeout/delivery even before Covid. Sanitizers at table. We bring out sauces as needed. Everyone is still masked. Patrons are asked to wear mask when they leave their table. Pretty much par for the course.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject:

I expressed my concerns about J&J a few pages back, but didn’t expect them to stop it across the US / globe. I think for those over 55, it’s worth the risk to get the J&J versus not being vaccinated at all and getting Covid...for young people, each individual should just have the choice to make the decision to do a risk assessment as to whether they want to risk getting Covid or getting the vaccine’s side effects
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
I expressed my concerns about J&J a few pages back, but didn’t expect them to stop it across the US / globe. I think for those over 55, it’s worth the risk to get the J&J versus not being vaccinated at all and getting Covid...for young people, each individual should just have the choice to make the decision to do a risk assessment as to whether they want to risk getting Covid or getting the vaccine’s side effects

If they actually do a risk assessment (comparative risks to themselves and the knock-on risk to others), isn’t there really only one decision?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

Here is another good synopsis:

https://mobile.twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1382493473933307918
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

I've ventured out twice in the this month. Both times to buy home protection.

The dealer, a retired deputy sheriff, wore a mask as did his wife. Both have been vaccinated. He only allowed one customer at a time in his establishment.

He had pens he used and asked you to return them to a covid box. He sanitized the pens after use. His shop was well ventilated.

Nowadays it's almost as difficult to buy a gun as it's becoming to vote. Background checks, proof of residence, driver's license or accepted ID, birth certificate, REAL ID. ten day waiting period.

Stopped by an El Pollo Loco, picked up a chicken bowl from the drive thru window.

EDIT: I also went to Kaiser twice for doctor's appointments. Patients were limited in the waiting area. Everyone was masked and precautions were abundant. I wore gloves because I had to open doors. I took 3pairs with me used 2. Tossed them when I left the hospital.

I got the Pfizer 2 shot. I feel safe. I understand the concern about J&J. Given a choice I think people will choose a Pfizer or Moderna vaccination.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am; edited 4 times in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

forgot where I read it but less than 100 breakthru covid infection as of today for 77million plus fully vaccinated in US... compare that to the unvaccinated, you can do your own math in risk reduction
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
forgot where I read it but less than 100 breakthru covid infection as of today for 77million plus fully vaccinated in US... compare that to the unvaccinated, you can do your own math in risk reduction

5800. 396 of those required hospitalization. 74 died.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

If they actually do a risk assessment (comparative risks to themselves and the knock-on risk to others), isn’t there really only one decision?

I meant to say that we should have J&J still available to all instead of pulling it completely. recommended for those over 55+, but with a warning to those under 55 instead. let people decide to factor in the risks of J&J vaccine themselves instead of the government deciding it's not safe and pulling it etc.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
governator wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html

thx, still less than 0.001% chance (but I was way off lol)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

I meant to say that we should have J&J still available to all instead of pulling it completely. recommended for those over 55+, but with a warning to those under 55 instead. let people decide to factor in the risks of J&J vaccine themselves instead of the government deciding it's not safe and pulling it etc.

Given that we have enough of the mRNA vaccines, it’s prudent to pull it and assess. The big loser if the J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines (both adenovirus based and both having some of the clotting issues) are delayed are the less developed nations because the one shot and lack of need for deep temperature storage makes them far more suitable for distribution.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Looks like your chances of dying from the vaccine or from covid after being vaccinated, combined, are significantly lower than being struck by lightning
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Looks like your chances of dying from the vaccine or from covid after being vaccinated, combined, are significantly lower than being struck by lightning

But which one has a greater chance of giving you super powers?

---George Carlin
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Tequila. The final stage of tequila drinking is invisibility.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Vaccine. Because there's always the smallest chance they mix up your vaccine with some super soldier serum.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ronald Klain -at- WHCOS

Where we started (1/20/21): 8% of Americans 65 and over with at least one shot.

Where we are (4/15/21): Over 80% of Americans 65 and over with at least one shot!

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Quote:
Ronald Klain -at- WHCOS

Where we are (4/15/21): Over 80% of Americans 65 and over with at least one shot!

new admin literally saving lives
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Quote:
Ronald Klain [AT] WHCOS

new admin literally saving lives

Each passing day makes me believe more and more we elected the right person for the job. Not saying Kamala wouldn't do a good job, saying I think Biden would/is doing a better job than she would. I base that on his demeanor and Oval Office experience. I also believe the shape the county's in, in 2024 will factor into whether or not he'll run for a second term.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
governator wrote:

I wonder how many of those 5800 people had something more than a cold from their breakthrough COVID infection.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on Saturday around 11:45 AM. Around 11 - 11:30 PM, I got some of the worst chills I've ever experienced in my life -- I'm talking full body uncontrollably shivering. One of the weirdest things I've ever experienced.

Managed to fall asleep around 12:15, but woke up probably 7 or 8 times during the night. Ended up waking up for good around 7:30 or 8 AM on Sunday, and my body just felt very heavy and just generally sore (luckily the chills were mostly gone, or at least were much more mild). By around noon I was feeling much better, probably around 80 - 85% of normal. Stayed around there for the rest of the day Sunday. Woke up this morning at 100%.

From who I've talked to, it seems like the 2nd shot is hitting younger people worse than it is older people. I'm 26, and most of my friends my age who have had it also had bad symptoms from the 2nd shot. But my mom who's 64 was completely fine, as were most of my parent's friends around that age. Not sure if it has something to do with stronger immune response from younger people with stronger immune systems or what, but just found that weird.

Anyways, that was my experience in case anyone who's gearing up for their 2nd shot is interested
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on Saturday around 11:45 AM. Around 11 - 11:30 PM, I got some of the worst chills I've ever experienced in my life -- I'm talking full body uncontrollably shivering. One of the weirdest things I've ever experienced.

Managed to fall asleep around 12:15, but woke up probably 7 or 8 times during the night. Ended up waking up for good around 7:30 or 8 AM on Sunday, and my body just felt very heavy and just generally sore (luckily the chills were mostly gone, or at least were much more mild). By around noon I was feeling much better, probably around 80 - 85% of normal. Stayed around there for the rest of the day Sunday. Woke up this morning at 100%.

From who I've talked to, it seems like the 2nd shot is hitting younger people worse than it is older people. I'm 26, and most of my friends my age who have had it also had bad symptoms from the 2nd shot. But my mom who's 64 was completely fine, as were most of my parent's friends around that age. Not sure if it has something to do with stronger immune response from younger people with stronger immune systems or what, but just found that weird.

Anyways, that was my experience in case anyone who's gearing up for their 2nd shot is interested

Pretty similar experience with my second Pfizer dose. I only had fatigue after the first.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

My daughter finally relented and got vaccinated. She had side effects, chills, and fatigue. She had to spend a day in bed to recover. She's okay now. My son was vaccinated with no side effects. They both got the Moderna vaccination. I'm relieved. I feel they are less likely to get the virus. IMO the discomfort is outweighed by the protection.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 237, 238, 239 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 238 of 318
Jump to: