Worldwide Coronavirus Thread (US death toll passes 1 Million - that's right, 1 Million dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 316, 317, 318  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Ana Cabrera @AnaCabrera

NEW: Pfizer data show that a third dose of its Covid-19 vaccine “strongly” boosts protection against Delta variant

The data posted online, which are expected to be discussed in a company earnings call on Wednesday morning, suggest that antibody levels against the Delta variant in people ages 18 to 55 who receive a third dose of vaccine are greater than five-fold following a second dose.

Since I got the J&J shot which some studies have shown is not as effective against Delta, and with much research over the last month, I decided yesterday to get a single shot of Pfizer as a booster to my J&J shot. There seemed to be almost no downside and a fair amount of upside. So far, no side effects. (We have pop-up vaccine clinics in my town which specifically state that no ID and no insurance is necessary to get the shot. Since I would show up as fully vaccinated and denied a second vaccine, I was able to work around the issue.)

I had two Pfizer doses already. Do you think I can go to a no ID clinic and get a third?

I think you're good for now with two Pfizer doses. I'd keep an eye out for further research. At some point the CDC will officially recommend a booster shot for everyone -- probably starting with older people. We all have to make our own calculations about risk. If you're within 6 months of your original vaccine then there's no need yet. Remember, there will likely be more variants, so future boosters will incorporate against new strains as needed. In your situation I would wait. But I'm not a doctor and you shouldn't take medical advice from me.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The daily pace of people getting their first shot is the highest it’s been in three weeks, CDC data reviewed by CNN shows. On a seven-day average, 382,106 people are starting their vaccination each day. That's a 35% increase over last week’s pace.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1420468447067131904
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Netflix To Require Covid Vaccinations For Actors & Other Zone A Personnel On Its U.S. Productions

Quote:
Netflix has become the first major Hollywood studio to implement a blanket policy mandating vaccinations for the casts of all of its U.S. productions, as well as those who come into contact with them on set.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
Just got off the phone with an associate working ICU in Moval. He said, "its happening again." We got emails this morning saying we are projected to be in overflow in October. So, take that FWIW.

UK seemed to have peaked July 17th, and has since been trending down with cases. Looks like it's predictably all red states (FL, TX, LA, GA) with low vax rates leading with new cases.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

^
It's also red counties in blue states, like the county where I live.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Report: 12 positive COVID tests within Nationals organization postpones Phillies game

Quote:
Four Washington Nationals players and eight staffers have tested positive for COVID-19, forcing Major League Baseball to postpone their game against the Philadelphia Phillies on Wednesday night.

"Of the dozen Nationals players and staff who have tested positive for COVID-19, the vast majority were vaccinated" ESPN baseball insider Jeff Passan tweeted. "A number of the breakthrough positives came with those given the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine."
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject:

16000 cases here in Florida today and more people hospitalized than during the winter peak. Meanwhile Governor DeathSantis is busy boycotting Ben and Jerry’s and having anti-mask circle jerk meetings with likeminded people to discuss why masks are child abuse.

School starts on August 10th here in Orange County Florida and we’re over 1000 cases a day in the county. Mayor Demings declared a local state of emergency and urged businesses to start mask mandates, but said his hands are tied for the county making them mandatory because DeathSantis and the GQP legislature has made it illegal for him to do so.

At this rate it’s likely a forgone conclusion my wife gets a breakthrough infection teaching and my daughter gets it at school.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
At this rate it’s likely a forgone conclusion my wife gets a breakthrough infection teaching and my daughter gets it at school.

I hope not. I wish you & yours well (and I'll put out good thoughts for all of you).

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

I think it's going to become clear in the not-too-distant future that the current vaccinations (while providing a little bit of armor) are not going to stop Rona's pissed off cousin Delta. And as it sweeps through the unvaccinated, it's gonna get stronger and we'll see more breakthoughs with the vaccinated.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
16000 cases here in Florida today and more people hospitalized than during the winter peak. Meanwhile Governor DeathSantis is busy boycotting Ben and Jerry’s and having anti-mask circle jerk meetings with likeminded people to discuss why masks are child abuse.

School starts on August 10th here in Orange County Florida and we’re over 1000 cases a day in the county. Mayor Demings declared a local state of emergency and urged businesses to start mask mandates, but said his hands are tied for the county making them mandatory because DeathSantis and the GQP legislature has made it illegal for him to do so.

I feel for you brother, and it’s why I always tell my friends it matters where you live.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
I think it's going to become clear in the not-too-distant future that the current vaccinations (while providing a little bit of armor) are not going to stop Rona's pissed off cousin Delta. And as it sweeps through the unvaccinated, it's gonna get stronger and we'll see more breakthoughs with the vaccinated.

Yep and it's already happening. The sad part is that more children are now becoming infected and showing up in hospitals because anti-vaxxer, anti-masker adults prioritize their freedumb over their own children's lives.

Houston pediatrician warns parents to take COVID 'very seriously' with children's hospitals full

Quote:
“This weekend alone, I probably dealt with 15 to 20 [children] who either were COVID-positive or recovering from COVID…In the past two months, I have hospitalized more babies—particularly babies under 3 years of age—than I had in the prior three years.”
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Google And Facebook Mandate Vaccines For Employees At U.S. Offices

Google and Facebook will require U.S. employees to be vaccinated against the coronavirus before returning to the company's offices, the tech giants said on Wednesday.

In a blog post, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said the vaccine mandate would apply to its U.S. offices in the coming weeks and would be required eventually for other locations.

"Getting vaccinated is one of the most important ways to keep ourselves and our communities healthy in the months ahead," Pichai wrote.

Shortly after Google's announcement, Facebook said it too will require anyone coming to work at its U.S. offices to be vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/28/1021798222/google-mandates-vaccines-for-workers-pushes-back-return-to-office-date

Hopefully this is the start of more to come and more major companies follow suit.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:

I hope more pressure is put on DeSantis and things change for the better. I don't know what county you're in but some schools are going with mask mandates:

Florida officials defy DeSantis as infections spike

Quote:
Local officials across Florida are bucking Gov. Ron DeSantis and his anti-mandate coronavirus strategy as infections soar in the state and nation. They’re imposing vaccine and mask requirements for government workers and even declaring states of emergency. In a sign of how worrisome the new Covid-19 surge is, Disney World is ordering all guests over 2-years-old to wear masks indoors at its Florida theme park, regardless of vaccination status.

Quote:
But the current infection crisis threatens to derail DeSantis’ successes ahead of his 2022 reelection campaign and possible bid for president in 2024. Already, Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) and Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the two biggest-name Democrats running to challenge DeSantis in 2022, have used Florida’s recent surge to hammer the governor. Crist criticized DeSantis this week for sending a fundraising email focused on claims he would “hold Fauci accountable” while Fried said she will begin hosting regular briefings to update the public on Covid and vaccination rates in the state.

And with no state-level policy response to the recent infection spike, local government officials are rushing to fill the void.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, husband to Democratic U.S. Senate candidate and Rep. Val Demings, has declared a state of emergency and is requiring the county’s 4,200 nonunion workers to get vaccinated by the end of September. Leon County announced it’s also imposing a vaccine requirement for county workers. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava mandated masks at all county facilities. And in Broward County, school board officials are keeping in place mask mandates for students in the next school year despite DeSantis’ vocal opposition.

“I want to show our residents and visitors Orange County is being proactive,” Jerry Demings said during a press conference this week. “We remain focused on lowering our numbers of hospitalizations.”

Quote:
The schools issue has the potential to be the most contentious. Last week, 6,999 children under the age of 12 contracted Covid-19 in Florida, which was nearly 10 percent of the 73,199 new cases across the state last week, according to the Florida Department of Health, which no longer does daily reporting.

Last week, the positive rate for those under 12 — a segment of the population that can’t get vaccinated yet — was at 15.4 percent, higher than the 15.1 percent average for all ages. A Jacksonville TV station on Wednesday reported that the city’s Baptist Health is treating 13 children who contracted Covid-19, five of whom are in intensive care.

“We are all elected to protect students and employees,” Broward board member Sarah Leonardi said. “It’s my feeling that just because the governor doesn’t want to act in the best interest of his constituents, that does not absolve us from our responsibility.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

As I post this President Biden is airing a very passionate plea to America to get vaccinated. He's urging employers to offer $100.00 to employees to get vaccinated. It's already mandatory that Federal employees be vaccinated. It's a damn shame to have to pay people to protect themselves. SMH 🤬

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Republican anti-vaxxers in red states are not going to be moved by $100 cash offers. There might be some people in marginal communities who that might appeal to, but I don't see that as an effective national policy. And it's kind of a slap in the face to everyone who already got vaccinated because they took it seriously and didn't act like bratty selfish children.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Republican anti-vaxxers in red states are not going to be moved by $100 cash offers. There might be some people in marginal communities who that might appeal to, but I don't see that as an effective national policy. And it's kind of a slap in the face to everyone who already got vaccinated because they took it seriously and didn't act like bratty selfish children.

Vaccinated people who took things seriously are being punished left and right because people can't do the right things. I'm honestly more pissed off now than I have been at any point throughout this entire ordeal.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Vaccinated people who took things seriously are being punished left and right because people can't do the right things. I'm honestly more pissed off now than I have been at any point throughout this entire ordeal.

Yep, you're not the only one.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
trmiv wrote:

I hope more pressure is put on DeSantis and things change for the better. I don't know what county you're in but some schools are going with mask mandates:

Florida officials defy DeSantis as infections spike

Quote:
Local officials across Florida are bucking Gov. Ron DeSantis and his anti-mandate coronavirus strategy as infections soar in the state and nation. They’re imposing vaccine and mask requirements for government workers and even declaring states of emergency. In a sign of how worrisome the new Covid-19 surge is, Disney World is ordering all guests over 2-years-old to wear masks indoors at its Florida theme park, regardless of vaccination status.

Quote:
But the current infection crisis threatens to derail DeSantis’ successes ahead of his 2022 reelection campaign and possible bid for president in 2024. Already, Rep. Charlie Crist (D-Fla.) and Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried, the two biggest-name Democrats running to challenge DeSantis in 2022, have used Florida’s recent surge to hammer the governor. Crist criticized DeSantis this week for sending a fundraising email focused on claims he would “hold Fauci accountable” while Fried said she will begin hosting regular briefings to update the public on Covid and vaccination rates in the state.

And with no state-level policy response to the recent infection spike, local government officials are rushing to fill the void.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, husband to Democratic U.S. Senate candidate and Rep. Val Demings, has declared a state of emergency and is requiring the county’s 4,200 nonunion workers to get vaccinated by the end of September. Leon County announced it’s also imposing a vaccine requirement for county workers. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava mandated masks at all county facilities. And in Broward County, school board officials are keeping in place mask mandates for students in the next school year despite DeSantis’ vocal opposition.

“I want to show our residents and visitors Orange County is being proactive,” Jerry Demings said during a press conference this week. “We remain focused on lowering our numbers of hospitalizations.”

Quote:
The schools issue has the potential to be the most contentious. Last week, 6,999 children under the age of 12 contracted Covid-19 in Florida, which was nearly 10 percent of the 73,199 new cases across the state last week, according to the Florida Department of Health, which no longer does daily reporting.

Last week, the positive rate for those under 12 — a segment of the population that can’t get vaccinated yet — was at 15.4 percent, higher than the 15.1 percent average for all ages. A Jacksonville TV station on Wednesday reported that the city’s Baptist Health is treating 13 children who contracted Covid-19, five of whom are in intensive care.

“We are all elected to protect students and employees,” Broward board member Sarah Leonardi said. “It’s my feeling that just because the governor doesn’t want to act in the best interest of his constituents, that does not absolve us from our responsibility.”

Unfortunately the school board here in Orange County doesn’t appear willing to do the same. They encourage masks but I seriously doubt they will mandate them. The comments from parents on their Facebook post strongly encouraging masks at the Meet the Teacher events next week we’re pretty discouraging. So many parents worried about “freedom” and “liberty” and “making our own medical decisions for our children” rather than concern for the community and helping with the safety of all the kids.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/29/cdc-mask-guidance/

Quote:
‘The war has changed’: Internal CDC document urges new messaging, warns delta infections likely more severe

The internal presentation shows that the agency thinks it is struggling to communicate on vaccine efficacy amid increased breakthrough infections

The presentation is linked in the article. Concerning stuff. Delta is a totally different beast.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
CDC mask decision followed stunning findings from Cape Cod beach outbreak
A group of vaccinated beachgoers changed our knowledge of the delta variant.
ByAnne Flaherty andArielle Mitropoulos
July 29, 2021, 1:49 PM
• 8 min read

US averaging 57,000 new COVID-19 cases per day due to delta variant

A week after the crowds descended upon Provincetown, Massachusetts, to celebrate the Fourth of July -- the holiday President Joe Biden hoped would mark the nation's liberation from COVID-19 -- the manager of the Cape Cod beach town said he was aware of "a handful of positive COVID cases among folks" who spent time there.

"We are in touch with the Health Department and Outer Cape Health Services and are closely monitoring the data," Alex Morse told reporters.

The announcement wasn't unusual with roughly half of the country still unvaccinated and flare-ups of the virus popping up in various states.

But within weeks, health officials seemed to be on to something much bigger. The outbreak quickly grew to the hundreds and most of them appeared to be vaccinated.

As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized.

The initial findings of the investigation led by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seemed to have huge implications.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cdc-mask-decision-stunning-findings-cape-cod-beach/story?id=79148102

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Wow this stuff from the CDC about delta is seriously frightening and demoralizing. As transmissible as chicken pox and more transmissible than small pox, Ebola and Spanish flu. Percentage of hospitalization and deaths among vaccinated is growing. Vaccinated infected appear as likely to spread the virus and unvaccinated.

The summary

Quote:
Summary
▪Delta is different from previous strains
–Highly contagious
–Likely more severe
–Breakthrough infections may be as transmissible as unvaccinated cases

▪Vaccines prevent >90% of severe disease, but may be less effective at preventing infection or transmission
–Therefore, more breakthrough and more community spread despite vaccination

▪NPIs are essential to prevent continued spread with current vaccine coverage

What a kick in the gut. It feels like we’re back at March 2020 but with people less likely to take any measures to protect each other.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
CDC: The coronavirus could be 'just a few mutations' away from evading vaccines
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2021/07/30/gov-desantis-sign-executive-order-making-covid-masks-florida-schools-optional/5428784001/

Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he will sign an executive order to issue emergency rules for "protecting the rights of parents," making face masks optional across the state in schools and leaving it up to parents.

The governor made the announcement Friday in Cape Coral at an Italian restaurant, where he also presented parents who oppose masks.

"We want to be able to choose, and we want to be able to teach our children without our faces covered," DeSantis told a crowd to applause and cheers.

I hate this (bleep) (bleep) stain so much. He’s got blood on his hands.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2021/07/30/gov-desantis-sign-executive-order-making-covid-masks-florida-schools-optional/5428784001/

Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he will sign an executive order to issue emergency rules for "protecting the rights of parents," making face masks optional across the state in schools and leaving it up to parents.

The governor made the announcement Friday in Cape Coral at an Italian restaurant, where he also presented parents who oppose masks.

"We want to be able to choose, and we want to be able to teach our children without our faces covered," DeSantis told a crowd to applause and cheers.

I hate this (bleep) (bleep) stain so much. He’s got blood on his hands.

None of those people are fit to be parents.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

DELETED BY jodeke

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 260, 261, 262 ... 316, 317, 318  Next
Page 261 of 318
Jump to: