Some think it's it time for a new NBA Logo. Who should it be?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should be the new NBA Logo
Kobe Bryant
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
Michael Jordan
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Magic Johnson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Larry Bird
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Keep Jerry West
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
OTHER
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Some think it's it time for a new NBA Logo. Who should it be?

Discussed on FirstTake this morning. Should Kobe become the new NBA Logo? I'm biased, I think so. There are other players who should be so considered. Think about it. I admit bias, try not to be.

Discuss

A growing, vocal crowd want the league's silhouette of Jerry West replaced with Kobe Bryant in honor of the Lakers legend following the tragic 2020 helicopter accident which claimed his life. West has never been officially acknowledged as the logo, but everyone knows it's him — and he doesn't want to be the logo

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:16 am; edited 4 times in total
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

No, it's not.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

This whole conversation is pure BS, in my humble opinion.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

I think changing it is probably a good idea.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
No, it's not.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

No need to change. But if, then Kobe oviously...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Cant have another white guy on a logo for a sport dominated by African Americans (i have no idea if this statement is PC. Sorry to those offended. )

MJ is recognized by one logo. Any other pose might as well be somebody else.

Hes my 3rd favorite laker (kobe/kaj) but the no look over the shoulder would feel muddy in logo context.

In regards to west, see my bird take. i do think its time for a slight brand refresh.....HOWEVER. because most of todays fans have little to no idea who Jerry West is, it makes the logo generic and really not attributed to anyone.

So i say Kobe. The one kyrie threw out there works, or one of his jumpers.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Clearly the man who made the NBA the global sport it is...Mr Jumpman Michael Jordan. When you think NBA, its one name that stands before all others: Michael Jordan. Watching these two closely their entire careers, it was never even close: Kobe was never better or even close to being better than Jordan and to say he should be the logo because of the ending....no way. In fact there isnt a single component of Kobe's game I would take over Michaels: even three point shooting as Michael always seemed to have a quicker release off the catch and better balance on his outside shots, particularly the landing than Kobe did.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Cant have another white guy on a logo for a sport dominated by African Americans (i have no idea if this statement is PC. Sorry to those offended. )

Hes my 3rd favorite laker (kobe/kaj) but the no look over the shoulder would feel muddy in logo context.

In regards to west, see my bird take. i do think its time for a slight brand refresh.....HOWEVER. because most of todays fans have little to no idea who Jerry West is, it makes the logo generic and really not attributed to anyone.

Then most of today's fans need to learn their history or stop caring because they have no idea what they are talking about. Actually your first point is valid but then you also have to be ok with baseball for example saying since the majority of the players are white, the logo should be a white man....same with hockey.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Then most of today's fans need to learn their history or stop caring because they have no idea what they are talking about. Actually your first point is valid but then you also have to be ok with baseball for example saying since the majority of the players are white, the logo should be a white man....same with hockey.

That might be relevant if the majority of people in he country and almost the entire power structure in the country and the league were non white.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I’d personally like to see the sky hook, the most singularly iconic shot in the game. And he’s the all time scoring leader, and an ambassador for the game you could be proud of on a human level too.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I’d personally like to see the sky hook, the most singularly iconic shot in the game. And he’s the all time scoring leader, and an ambassador for the game you could be proud of on a human level too.

^this. Most underrated, well spoken, role models the sporting world has ever had. And an absolute monster of an athlete and icon since birth.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

To be fair to Kareem, even in old age, he was one of the few that could go toe to toe with Olajuwon (a young Olajuwon but not far off from peak Hakeem) and on certain nights even clearly outplay the young Dream. I have 2 points againt KAJ though.
1. He notably struggled against one opponent and against this guy, Kareem almost never seemed to be the superior player when matched head to head: Moses Malone. An old Wilt could also hold his own against Kareem which makes me wonder even if peak Kareem met with peak Shaq, Shaq would do worse to him than Moses used to.
2. It was Magic's showtime team and Kareem to me never consistently displayed the indomitable will and leadership to take a team on his back if he had to (though the 1985 finals MVP was impressive). Those 70s Lakers were not lacking talent and losing to Seattle in the years prior to Magic is frankly inexcusable for a GOAT candidate. It always seemed that Kareem liked basketball but did not LOVE it/obsessed with it like some other guys did.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

A major oversight in my poll not including Cap. The other option is available.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Clearly the man who made the NBA the global sport it is....

David Stern?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
To be fair to Kareem, even in old age, he was one of the few that could go toe to toe with Olajuwon (a young Olajuwon but not far off from peak Hakeem) and on certain nights even clearly outplay the young Dream. I have 2 points againt KAJ though.
1. He notably struggled against one opponent and against this guy, Kareem almost never seemed to be the superior player when matched head to head: Moses Malone. An old Wilt could also hold his own against Kareem which makes me wonder even if peak Kareem met with peak Shaq, Shaq would do worse to him than Moses used to.
2. It was Magic's showtime team and Kareem to me never consistently displayed the indomitable will and leadership to take a team on his back if he had to (though the 1985 finals MVP was impressive). Those 70s Lakers were not lacking talent and losing to Seattle in the years prior to Magic is frankly inexcusable for a GOAT candidate. It always seemed that Kareem liked basketball but did not LOVE it/obsessed with it like some other guys did.

A logo of a brand as big as the nba needs to represent a few voices of the company. Obviously the game but also societal impact. The league has been at the forefront of speaking on issues that matter. That is the epitome of KAJ. The nba stands for and represents more that just the games.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject:

It’s a logo.

It’s not a social statement.

It was never intended to be a representation of the racial make up of the league.

It was meant to be a very genetic representation of a player dribbling a ball. Just like the MLB logo is just a nondescript image of a guy at the plate.

Even though it is an image of Jerry West, it wasn’t the intent that he was the face of the face of the NBA. The idea of updating the logo to represent a particular player who now may represent the game to some is silly.

Is the NBA supposed to update its logo every several years to portray the favored player of the time?

If the NBA does away with current logo, they should just go the NFL route.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I like Kobe, but the logo is basically a brand....its like changing the logo of a company, if you change it now whats to stop them from changing the logo again in 30 years when all the kids who never saw Kobe play want somebody else on there?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It’s a logo.

It was never intended to be a representation of the racial make up of the league.

It was meant to be a very genetic representation of a player dribbling a ball. Just like the MLB logo is just a nondescript image of a guy at the plate.

Even though it is an image of Jerry West, it wasn’t the intent that he was the face of the face of the NBA. The idea of updating the logo to represent a particular player who now may represent the game to some is silly.

Is the NBA supposed to update its logo every several years to portray the favored player of the time?

That’s a fair opinion. I think given that they have a player on the logo, and given their stance on social justice, that a player like KAJ as the logo would be a powerful statement, but you could also just leave it alone (since if you’re not doing something for some good reason, why change it at all).
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I also think the skyhook is just the most iconic basketball shot/move of all time, and looks cool.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It’s a logo.

Most logos aren’t of actual people. This is. It’s not generic. The nba unlike a lot of corporations have put their flag in the ground when it come to social issues and have made it part of their brand. Nba sanctioned tshirts with social responses on them etc.

I’m good with nfl route. Even mlb has a generic logo with silhouette.

Personally updating isn’t uncommon. NFL has done it iirc with amount of stars. I think if nba insists on using player it should be a representation of the league.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I like Kobe, but the logo is basically a brand....its like changing the logo of a company, if you change it now whats to stop them from changing the logo again in 30 years when all the kids who never saw Kobe play want somebody else on there?

Would that be so bad?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Some of the very best baseball players were black. Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds comes to mind.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
It’s a logo.

Most logos aren’t of actual people. This is. It’s not generic. The nba unlike a lot of corporations have put their flag in the ground when it come to social issues and have made it part of their brand. Nba sanctioned tshirts with social responses on them etc.

I’m good with nfl route. Even mlb has a generic logo with silhouette.

Personally updating isn’t uncommon. NFL has done it iirc with amount of stars. I think if nba insists on using player it should be a representation of the league.

The NFL has 3 black coaches out of 32 positions despite 70% of the players being black. Compare that to the XFL when they tried to start a league in 2020. 8 teams, 3 black coaches. One league tried to hire black coaches, the other league wouldn’t hire Kaepernick and doesn’t want to hire black coaches.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: