Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Gavin Lux has reported
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) Kenley and his family got the covid but fortunately he is recovered and reported to camp today. Our pitching was thinning out a bit so any shape or form of Jansen is welcomed.

1978-2020
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject:

Exciting times....tonight marks the first game albeit exhibition against an actual opponent. Appears Dodgers have the pitching depth to overcome the loss of Price moreso than Lakers do Bradley/Rondo.

1978-2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Exciting times....tonight marks the first game albeit exhibition against an actual opponent. Appears Dodgers have the pitching depth to overcome the loss of Price moreso than Lakers do Bradley/Rondo.

Yeah, pitching depth is not as important in a 60 game season vs a 162 game season.

I don’t know if we have a championship caliber starting rotation atm.

1. Buehler
2. Kershaw
3. Urias
4. Wood
5. Stripling
6. May
7. Gonsolin

We’re going to need someone to step up and become a reliable no. 3 guy in the playoffs.

Either that or our bullpen becomes lights out.

(I do have faith in Urias. Not so much in Wood/Stripling. May could also be that guy but in a 60 game season, he might not get that many innings to develop this year).
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Yikes our starting outfield could go from being the best of 2020 to very suspect next season if Mookie, Joc and Kike all walk as free agents. Without Verdugo there aren't any strong outfield prospects I see in the farm system.

RF ?
CF Bellinger
LF Pollock

Bring back Puig in 2021?

1978-2020
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Yikes our starting outfield could go from being the best of 2020 to very suspect next season if Mookie, Joc and Kike all walk as free agents. Without Verdugo there aren't any strong outfield prospects I see in the farm system.

RF ?
CF Bellinger
LF Pollock

Bring back Puig in 2021?

Chris Taylor is signed for next year.

We’d also have a nice chunk of change if they all left.

Here's an article addressing this exact issue:

Quote:
The Dodgers could greatly benefit from trading Joc away, as much as it pains me to say. This is the final year before he gets to hit free agency, and he would normally get a pretty decent offer from other teams looking for some pop. An AJ Pollock type of offer wouldn’t be a surprise in a normal year, but we’re obviously not in the middle of a normal year.

Joc will likely make somewhere in the range of $10m to $13m annually, putting him out of the Dodgers’ price range. With plenty of outfield options available on their current roster for far less than that, trading him for a decent return seems ideal. Matt Beaty, Cody Bellinger, Chris Taylor, Luke Raley, and a few high-level prospects will likely make up the outfield should the team pivot away from Mookie.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-should-los-angeles-consider-trading-joc-pederson/2020/06/30/

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Great to have baseball back. Our offense looks like an all-star team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

My goodness, Mitchell White looked outstanding today. He throws an easy 95 and his breaking stuff is fall-off-the-table good. Love the downward movement on his breaking stuff. He probably won't even make the initial 30-man roster. Just shows how deep this roster is. White and Dustin May were drafted in the same year, by the way, with May going one round later. White's been held back in his young career by some injuries. But if today was any indication, he could be of big-time service over the course of the next few years.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
My goodness, Mitchell White looked outstanding today. He throws an easy 95 and his breaking stuff is fall-off-the-table good. Love the downward movement on his breaking stuff. He probably won't even make the initial 30-man roster. Just shows how deep this roster is. White and Dustin May were drafted in the same year, by the way, with May going one round later. White's been held back in his young career by some injuries. But if today was any indication, he could be of big-time service over the course of the next few years.

What's the lowest rated prospect that you can remember that made an impact on the mlb roster?

Right now, I don't think Mitchell White's a top 10 Dodger prospect and he's certainly not top 100 overall and he's already 25 yrs old.

I hope you're right. I just don't remember a prospect ranking so low having an impact on the mlb roster.

Note: Just looking at the ages of our minor leaguers, didn't realize Tony Gonsolin was already 26! Wow!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

What's the lowest rated prospect that you can remember that made an impact on the mlb roster?

Right now, I don't think Mitchell White's a top 10 Dodger prospect and he's certainly not top 100 overall and he's already 25 yrs old.

I hope you're right. I just don't remember a prospect ranking so low having an impact on the mlb roster.

Note: Just looking at the ages of our minor leaguers, didn't realize Tony Gonsolin was already 26! Wow!

White was a 2nd-round pick for a reason. Maybe he's just coming into his own with some health and maturity. What I saw tonight was very encouraging, I can tell you that. Oh, and he didn't have a single 3-ball count in 5 innings. I know the stats in the upper minors don't look impressive, but those are hitters' havens and maybe he could still pan out at the big league level. You mentioned Gonsolin, and I realize that stuff isn't everything, but I would say that White's stuff tonight looked better than what I've seen from Gonsolin. And I like Gonsolin.

At the very least, if he never pitches again to major leaguers in competition before the trade deadline, this was a nice showcase.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

White was a 2nd-round pick for a reason. Maybe he's just coming into his own with some health and maturity. What I saw tonight was very encouraging, I can tell you that. Oh, and he didn't have a single 3-ball count in 5 innings. I know the stats in the upper minors don't look impressive, but those are hitters' havens and maybe he could still pan out at the big league level. You mentioned Gonsolin, and I realize that stuff isn't everything, but I would say that White's stuff tonight looked better than what I've seen from Gonsolin. And I like Gonsolin.

At the very least, if he never pitches again to major leaguers in competition before the trade deadline, this was a nice showcase.

Yup, totally hope your right.

Just the realist in me can't remember a player that wasn't highly ranked in the minors and then making an impact at the mlb level. At least off the top of my head, no one comes to mind.

Usually the players that do well in the majors were highly ranked in the minors.

Quote:
Maybe he's just coming into his own with some health and maturity.

Totally. But I just think he has to make that jump/leap at the minor league level before doing it at the major league level.

The thing is, there's no minor league season this year, so we won't know if Mitchell White can improve this year enough to be in the top 100.

It's just rare to not crack the top 100 in the minors but then make an impact at the major league level.

You know what, maybe I should take it back. We're quite good at it. Max Muncy, Justin Turner, Chris Taylor, Kike Hernandez. I don't know if any of them were top 100 prospects. So, maybe I answered my own question while thinking it through. Maybe it's not as rare as I thought, especially for our organization.

Was Kenley Jansen ever a top 100 prospect? I know we converted him from catcher.

But yeah, mostly you have to figure it out at the minor league level before you figure it out at the major league level. It's rare to finally figure it out at the major league level after being just ok/good at the minor league level.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

^
There are plenty of players who were not top 100 prospects who make an impact at the major league level. I mean, think about it: there are 30 teams, and each team normally has a 25-man roster. That's 750 players.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
There are plenty of players who were not top 100 prospects who make an impact at the major league level. I mean, think about it: there are 30 teams, and each team normally has a 25-man roster. That's 750 players.

Yeah, there are journeymen. Players that can bounce around the league and make rosters. No doubt. Relievers, utility players, bench players. Players like Dylan Floro.

I guess the impact I was referring to was of the type in your glowing review of Mitchell White:

Quote:
But if today was any indication, he could be of big-time service over the course of the next few years.

Quote:
You mentioned Gonsolin, and I realize that stuff isn't everything, but I would say that White's stuff tonight looked better than what I've seen from Gonsolin. And I like Gonsolin.

That sounds like immediate and major impact at the mlb level ("big time service"). And I just couldn't really think of that many players that hadn't figured it out at the minor league level but then made that type of impact at the mlb level.

Usually players that are able to make that type of impact at the mlb level also dominate their minor league constituents.

For instance, you compared him to Tony Gonsolin and he's actually a top 100 prospect. So that's a pretty high review.

And again, I truly hope you're right. But it just seems rare to not be able to dominate the minors but still able to make that type of immediate impact at the mlb level.
(Max Muncy put together one big minor league season before his jump to the Dodgers. Chris Taylor as well).

I'd be more inclined to be as hopeful as you if I could somehow see Mitchell White put together just one great/dominant minor league season before his jump to the majors.

I did watch last night's game and his stuff did look very amazing. I just can't figure out why he's struggled in the minors thus far.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

^
I guess what I'm saying is, even if he never pans out as an ace, perhaps he can have a solid few years as a #3/4 starter type. Based on stuff, I think he has that capability. Of course, he's had injury issues before, and maybe he's never had this good of a breaking ball before. I truly have no idea. I just know he was once a highly-regarded Dodger prospect, and that in the last couple of years other pitchers had passed him up.

It's never too late! Especially since he's still only 25.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I guess what I'm saying is, even if he never pans out as an ace, perhaps he can have a solid few years as a #3/4 starter type. Based on stuff, I think he has that capability. Of course, he's had injury issues before, and maybe he's never had this good of a breaking ball before. I truly have no idea. I just know he was once a highly-regarded Dodger prospect, and that in the last couple of years other pitchers had passed him up.

It's never too late! Especially since he's still only 25.

Yup, never too late. And he did look good last game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Seager looks absolutely locked in. Betts is a star. Man, this lineup is no joke. Urias is looking good tonight. In a normal 162-game season (and with Price), this is a 100+ win team easy.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Lux optioned, so long ROY honors.

1978-2020
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:

My guess is the accelerated season schedule is the reason why he is being optioned.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Lux reported very late (coronavirus?) and looked extremely rusty, both at the plate and in the field. He botched two routine plays last night in the field, and his bat just wasn't there. He needs more time. With Taylor and Hernandez more than capable at the keystone and ahead of where he is right now, this was a wise decision. Sure, they could have carried him on the initial 30-man roster, but he's just too rusty to play right now. Plus, there are service-time implications here: if they hold him down long enough, they can hold his rights for yet another season.

With Taylor signed through next season and certainly capable of being a decent second baseman if they need him to be (not to mention Muncy's ability to play there, and possibly even Rios), I wonder if you will hear rumblings of Lux being available before the trade deadline, with the target possibly being an ace pitcher of some kind. Of course, it's also possible that he gets in gear and ends up being a solid part of our lineup this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Also, the Dodgers signed lefty reliever Jake McGee, last season providing terrible results for all but one year with the Rockies. But he was once a dominant reliever with the Rays, and I have to think Friedman was there when he was in their system, and as long as his stuff is still there, perhaps he just needed a change of scenery. Could be another sneaky upside play here. I've never been a Scott Alexander fan, and apparently Dave Roberts hasn't been sure of his status, so this makes sense to add another lefty. If he sucks, fine, they can quickly move on.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lux reported very late (coronavirus?) and looked extremely rusty, both at the plate and in the field. He botched two routine plays last night in the field, and his bat just wasn't there. He needs more time. With Taylor and Hernandez more than capable at the keystone and ahead of where he is right now, this was a wise decision. Sure, they could have carried him on the initial 30-man roster, but he's just too rusty to play right now. Plus, there are service-time implications here: if they hold him down long enough, they can hold his rights for yet another season.

With Taylor signed through next season and certainly capable of being a decent second baseman if they need him to be (not to mention Muncy's ability to play there, and possibly even Rios), I wonder if you will hear rumblings of Lux being available before the trade deadline, with the target possibly being an ace pitcher of some kind. Of course, it's also possible that he gets in gear and ends up being a solid part of our lineup this year.

I couldn’t see us trading 7 years of Lux for 6 starts of an ace pitcher?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Agreed. It would have to be a pitcher with multiple years of team control. At least two for sure, and maybe three. Might be tough to find a match like that. If it's someone in the final year of a deal like Bauer or Syndergaard, it definitely would not require Lux.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Agreed. It would have to be a pitcher with multiple years of team control. At least two for sure, and maybe three. Might be tough to find a match like that. If it's someone in the final year of a deal like Bauer or Syndergaard, it definitely would not require Lux.

Yeah I remember there were rumors of Clevinger. He would definitely require giving up Lux.

Here’s a question:

Do we still do the Betts trade today knowing we only get 60 games of Betts?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here’s a question:

Do we still do the Betts trade today knowing we only get 60 games of Betts?

yes...it is World Series Champs or bust for the Dodgers this season regardless of the # of games. I think that goal is much more likely to be achieved with Betts in the lineup. I think you would be sick if you kept Verdugo and lost to the Yankees in 6 or 7 games in the World Series knowing you could have traded for Betts.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Will Pollack be the primary DH this season?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 298, 299, 300  Next
Page 3 of 300
Jump to: