Lakers vs Grizzlies 2-29 Thoughts and Ratings (game recap)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Lakers vs Grizzlies 2-29 Thoughts and Ratings (game recap)

DB asked for me to fill in for him for the weekend games.

Lakers come into the game #1 seed in the West, Grizzlies are trying hard to hold onto the last 8th spot, but Portland and New Orleans is pressing them for that last spot. If the playoffs began today, this would be the first round match up.

STARTERS:
Lebron James Slow start by LBJ. Unable to hit his 3s or make the post moves. Made a great and 1 move with a drive to the basket.Went out a bit early, to come back with the 2nd unit earlier. Hurt his ankle on returning and Frank yanked him out again. Lebron had a very poor 1st half, his timing on passes was off. 2nd half saw Lebron come out and his two straight 3 pointers. But there did not seem a purpose to Lebrons attack in this game. Lebron had a power move scoring and AND 1 being fouled by 2 guys. Flexed is muscles. Not a fan of that, when you are down 16. The team kinda had Lebrons mindset in this one. Not all there, kinda saw a lot of smirks, and a lack of focus. 4th Q Lebron finally looked engaged. Down 22, a bit late to wake up. Some really good D by Lebron in the 4th. Lebron had 19 points 10 assists and was a -12. One of Lebron's worst games this season.

Anthony Davis Strong start by AD. 3 pointer spot up, and really nice spin move to draw the attention and a kick out 3 pointer for Bradley. Great swat on Morant from behind when Morant was about to throw it down. Really strong first Q, but when we went to smaller with AD defending the 5, Valanciunas had his way inside a bit. Long rest for AD. Almost 9 min of game time between the 1st and 2nd Q. It did not seem AD ever got going again after that big rest. Weird, because he was feeling it to start. 2nd half a pretty non-impact half by AD. The minutes for AD really weird in this one. Was it to keep him fresh on a B2B. Not sure. AD had 15 points 9 boards blocks and was a - 10, played only 25 minutes in this one.

Alex Caruso The accountant with the start. He looked out of sorts with the starters, could just be the lack of PT with this group. Did not feel it. Had a great swat on defense though. Seemed like the defense slipped when Alex and AD went to the bench in the 1st Q. Drew a nice charge when he came back in. Offensively though, I do not like Caruso with the starters. A pretty non-impact game by Alex. Wish we had started KCP in this one, but at the same time better to know what you have and what works in the RS, before the playoffs begin. Caruso had 9 points and was a -8.

Avery Bradley AB hit a corner 3, and had a lot of open looks in the 1st Q. He is clearly the guy that teams leave with the starters to go help. However what a bad night for AB. Missed so many open looks and it felt like every time we set him up, he just did not convert the open looks. AB hurt us with his inability to convert open looks. AB scored 6 points (2-8 shooting) and was a -4.

Javale McGee McGee was clogging up the paint and it was affecting our O quite a bit at the start of the game. Some nice D on Valanciunas, but on offense McGee is hurting us when he does not have a roll to the basket game going, and the paint is just clogged up. McGee finished the game with 2 points and was a -5.

BENCH:

Dwight Howard Nice energy and consistent effort on the glass. The Grizzlies were being very physical and refs were allowing it. Great dunk from under the basket reaching from a pass from KCP. At 34, that athleticism is still crazy good. He was the only Laker who I thought brought his A effort in this effort, him and Caruso. Everyone else, aside from those 2, should be docked some of their pay, because the effort was not there. Dwight had some nice plays inside off movement within the offense off the ball, and his hands were everywhere looking for 2nd point chances. Dwight finished the game with 6 points, 7 boards and was a -3.

Kyle Kuzma Kuzma came in early, had a mid-range jumper. Also got scored on right away. He is trying to fake the shot to drive a bit. In the first stint, felt Kuzma was a step slow on rotations and reading the Grizz offense. Did not like Kuzma at the 2 lineup. 4th Q start, Kuzma makes some good plays on both ends. Defensive contesting, and a couple of drives. Good defense again in the 4th Q by Kuz. Then it all came back to where it began. Kuzma has not been the player we were hoping he would be this season. You never know in the playoffs it is a new season. Perhaps he has something extra in the tank in the playoffs. It will be the first time he will play in them, so I hope this entire RS is a way of him developing into a more reliable player. Overall, the only time I thought Kuz played well was the 4th Q. Kuzma finished the game with 10 points, -9.

Rajon Rondo Rondo came in when Lebron went to the bench. He did penetrate more than usual, but defensively there were some lapses I really did not like. Only impact from Rondo came in the 4th Q, he stepped up his aggression on D and made some good reads on offense. Rondo and Dwight did some good things in the 4th against Morant. I wonder if we met this team, or faced a team with a penetrating guard like Morant, if we would employ the same tactics. It was very late in the game when we used those traps and doubles, but they were effective. Rondo has good hands, but not footspeed. Against elite guards, he has to get help. Hopefully in the playoffs we see that help in, limited, Rondo minutes. Rondo finished the game with 2 points 4 assists and was a -11.

KCP KCP like Bradley had a lot of open looks when he was out there, was not knocking them down with the consistency we need. Was part of the only part of the game the Lakers looked alive, the 4th Q. I wish KCP would have stepped up given that Green was out and we needed more from him. Instead he was off as well. Combined with Bradley, no Green, our 3 point shooting was abysmal. No spacing, no floor spreaders for us, hard to score. KCP finished the game with 11 points and was a -18.

Markieff Morris Morris came in as a 5, and hit a 3, and then a nice iso mid range J. We were trying to get Rondo and him to get switches off S-R. I liked his initial minutes a lot, but Frank probably let him play too much in this one, as he does not seem to know a lot of the plays (on either side). He got into it with Brooks when he thought he was being physical with Dwight. I think with time Morris will be an important player for us. He needs to watch tape on his rebounding, he is not an aggressive rebounder, and gave up a lot of boards. He also needs to work on his defense. Seems lost. But we do not practice, and need time to get some chemistry with Morris. Maybe the game was lost, but we may have gotten some important minutes for Morris with this group. MM finished the game with 5 points and was a -13.

Garbage time - Daniels, Cook, DudleyThe trio came in with the game over. Would have liked to see Daniels get some PT at the 2 today with Green out.

COACHING:
This seemed like a game where Frank was doing a lot of experimenting. Caruso is +251 (2nd) in the NBA as a bench guy, you lost a 3 point shooter in Green, you start Caruso - who is not a shooter. KCP was the one that made sense there to me. Then Morris at the 5, with Dwight sitting. There was greater offense and spacing with Rondo-Morris at the 1-5, than with Dwight, but then at other end, trouble. Would like to see AD, Morris, Kuz, KCP and Rondo 2nd unit when Lebron sits. Third, AD sits from 3 min left in the 1st Q all the way to about 5 min left in the half. Huge break. Interesting choices by Frank. I have read this team does not practice because of the age of the vets and wanting to keep them fresh for games. So maybe this is the only way to get Morris inserted and also try some things out. Not too many choices and chances left especially if you make the decision to not practice much during the season. Today was a game where one would probably have to believe that Frank was having a bad experiment in the lab, type of game. There were some really bad lineups, stuff we have never seen before. But Frank is a competitor, you can tell, he always wants to win. Put together something in the 4th, but it was too late.

Tomorrow night against the Pelicans. Hopefully the Lakers show up. They were not present in this one. Load management type of night. Really poor concentration and effort, especially LBJ. We were probably better served resting LBJ and AD, and giving the 2nd unit starter minutes to get more reps in. In a way we did that with Morris anyway, and AD only played 25, so we got a lot of 2nd unit minutes in. The only positive I can take from this one, is that we got those minutes in with Morris, and tried out Caruso as a starter. I think early feedback is Caruso is definitely best served as a secret weapon vs starter. And Morris needs more time to get comfortable in his role.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:51 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff WPL!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Good stuff WPL!

Thanks, had to do it in bed, with a bad cold. I was hoping it would be a fun game, where the Lakers win to make it an easier game to cover. When I saw the way we began, given my condition, I was quite a bit

Could just smell (well I actually can not smell at moment) this L coming with the way the team was competing in the 1st half. A complete dud.

Hope the team gives an A effort tomorrow. This was like a D. Only time they brought it was in the 4th Q. Rest of the game was them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Good stuff WPL!

Thanks, had to do it in bed, with a bad cold. I was hoping it would be a fun game, where the Lakers win to make it an easier game to cover. When I saw the way we began, given my condition, I was quite a bit

Could just smell (well I actually can not smell at moment) this L coming with the way the team was competing in the 1st half. A complete dud.

Hope the team gives an A effort tomorrow. This was like a D. Only time they brought it was in the 4th Q. Rest of the game was them

We've got to have a short memory with this one and move on quickly to New Orleans. It will be a more exciting game than this one; I suspect both teams will be hungry and both will play hard for obvious reasons. GO LA!
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject:

We looked softttt, caruso shudve been in more. Rondo was epic bad
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

This game was sub-awesome.

Thanks for the T & R Wolf!
scout0_0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Rondo is not letting the bench get in a flow. His ball stopping style is destroying any offense flow we could be developing. Vogel is a dummy. Why not start KCP instead of Bradley or Caruso? Who is more similar to Green KCP or Caruso? This guy just doesn't think. We needed the spacing, hard to get in a flow like that.

Have you ever played bball with a guy who holds the ball all game? it takes you out of your comfort zone. This is why Kuz struggles. LeBron at least will get you an open shot, Rondo will give you the ball with 3 seconds left.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject:

scout0_0 wrote:
Rondo is not letting the bench get in a flow. His ball stopping style is destroying any offense flow we could be developing. Vogel is a dummy. Why not start KCP instead of Bradley or Caruso? Who is more similar to Green KCP or Caruso? This guy just doesn't think. We needed the spacing, hard to get in a flow like that.

Have you ever played bball with a guy who holds the ball all game? it takes you out of your comfort zone. This is why Kuz struggles. LeBron at least will get you an open shot, Rondo will give you the ball with 3 seconds left.

Rondo was non impact but so was Caruso.
This was on Lebron, Frank and AD.

Frank because he seemed to be in Phil experiment mode. Lots of crazy lineups including staring Alex in place of a 3 point shooter and sniper, when you have KCP. Then the AD rest. 9 min of game time rest when AD is the best player on the floor to begin the game. Killed momentum for AD.

Lebron, because his game was without a purpose, sort of like a pick up game. Took this game too light. Not the competitive drive you want from your best player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
scout0_0 wrote:

Rondo was non impact but so was Caruso.
This was on Lebron, Frank and AD.

Frank because he seemed to be in Phil experiment mode. Lots of crazy lineups including staring Alex in place of a 3 point shooter and sniper, when you have KCP. Then the AD rest. 9 min of game time rest when AD is the best player on the floor to begin the game. Killed momentum for AD.

Lebron, because his game was without a purpose, sort of like a pick up game. Took this game too light. Not the competitive drive you want from your best player.

Seemed like we were just going through the motions.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Awesome recap

Not really unhappy with the Lakers losing this one. As much as I love BI this keeps the Pels away from 8th place.

5D chess move completes tomorrow if we beat the Pelicans
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf, good read !
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
We looked softttt, caruso shudve been in more. Rondo was epic bad

Vogel makes no sense at all
start Caruso... only to still let Rondo get in more minutes to suck???
and then worst of all he is still in love with giving Rondo extended run with Lebron in the game which has proven to be a horrible combo for the last 2 years
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Awesome job Wolf...I love it It is too bad these bums lost
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Thank Wolf!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Good stuff WPL!

Plenty of rest and liquids.

I wonder if AD is more banged up than they let on. I can see him trying to play through it if only because he has a reputation for being soft.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Wolf.

We phoned it in and took a butt kicking.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Idunno. Hoping that Kuzma steps it up in his first ever playoffs seems extremely optimistic, at best. I don’t have numbers, but I doubt many players go into their first ever playoffs and play very well after a very uneven/poor regular season. Regular season, you can catch teams and players napping or at taking a night off during a long 82 game season. Playoffs, every game matters so teams and players try harder and they’re playing the same opponent for multiple games so they can really watch tape and game plan. Kuzma hasn’t shown enough to make me think he can depended on to be anything more than a warm body during the playoffs so far. Hopefully that changes as the season winds down to a close.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf. Horrible effort from the jump. Grizz made all the hustle plays. I always thought we would catch up, especially since it was their 2nd of a back to back. JM and AB looked horrible. Frank should have sat our guys earlier in the 4th. Big game tonight and we really need the win.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

Don’t think we’ll take much from this game.

Was a rare off night. It happens
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject:

I think the rotations got them deep in the hole and they never recovered. Generally Lebron plays the first 9 minutes then rests and comes in at the start of the second. AD plays the entire first quarter then comes in at the 6 minute mark of the second. Tonight both Lebron and AD with a few minutes left in the first, and AD didn't come back until 5 minutes left in the second.

I'm guessing Vogel wanted to limited AD's minutes with the calf and back to back. Or maybe wanted to give some more run with Kuzma and Morris both on the floor.

Then the Lakers came out flat in the third. Looked like they were getting outhustled to me.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks wolf

Game bascally went in the toilet as the Lakers used the dwight, morris, lbj, kuz experiment lineup - which for a bit was competetive and looked intriguing. Game was still in the balance in second quarter with thst lineup then there were a series of butterfinger rebounding and bad passes one possession after another and memphis started to grab the game. Then when we needed AD back in the game frank...benched lbj and brought in rondo. Memphis lead bloated to 16. We never recovered after that.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject:

A hard game to watch. Low energy, they got outhustled badly. Plus the Griz hit an inordinate amount of wacky shots to boot. Flush it down the toilet and move on.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I think the rotations got them deep in the hole and they never recovered. Generally Lebron plays the first 9 minutes then rests and comes in at the start of the second. AD plays the entire first quarter then comes in at the 6 minute mark of the second. Tonight both Lebron and AD with a few minutes left in the first, and AD didn't come back until 5 minutes left in the second.

I'm guessing Vogel wanted to limited AD's minutes with the calf and back to back. Or maybe wanted to give some more run with Kuzma and Morris both on the floor.

Then the Lakers came out flat in the third. Looked like they were getting outhustled to me.

Yep, they were being outhustled all 3 Qs. Only time they showed life was the 4th. You could tell the Grizzlies wanted it, and were desperate. Lakers were way too nonchalant. Vogel was also experimenting with a lot of things that he previously had not seen.

The Pelicans have been playing well, and the Lakers are going to need to step up their effort level tonight to get the W. Pelicans with Zion are a different team, a playoff level team.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Wolf!

Lakers clearly didn't care about this game (players and coaches).
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Great job, wolf!
Quote:

Caruso is +251 (2nd) in the NBA as a bench guy

Wow, you'd think this cat would get more playing time, huh?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: