NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Its an extraordinary circumstance, but I still see a team crowned a champion. The NBA purists will cry foul since it won't follow the usual NBA season, it will probably have a footnote like those seasons where there was a shortened NBA season. It won't matter though because in 2020, all sports have had their seasons interrupted by this pandemic.

At least in the strike/lock out seasons everyone played by the same rules. If we go straight to the playoffs now it wouldn’t be the case.

Not really true in 1999, schedules were not balanced as they normally were. The Lakers played six games against Eastern Conference opponents. Only five teams were on the schedule four times, four of those were above .500 (Sonics, Jazz, Blazers, Suns). Seedings meant little in the playoffs, #8 seed Knicks made the Finals.

One team playing a game or two more than another means little if there are several games between the two teams in the standings. Seedings won't be a big deal outside of the top 3 (which are close to set anyway), 4/5 will play each other in any case. The only real controversy is how do you deal with the #8 seed in the West, #8-#7 in the East, and #6-#5 in the East.

How about a 24-team playoff (all best of 7) where the top 4 in each conference receive byes, and those 4 teams from each conference play each of the 6 remaining non-playoff teams in a tune-up. Each non-playoff team would get 8 games in, and each playoff team has 6 tune-up games while awaiting their first round opponent. Maybe re-seed the top 4 based on the results of these games, if you want to help the bad teams play spoiler.

Only real controversy then is figuring #4-#5.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/05/25/united-states-exempting-travel-restrictions-for-foreign-nba-players/

Quote:
United States exempting travel restrictions for foreign NBA players

NBA teams could soon recall players to train for a resumed season.

But some international players – including Mavericks star Luka Doncic (Slovenia) and Pistons rookie Sekou Doumbouya (France) – returned to countries where United States travel restrictions apply.

That won’t be a problem, though.

Department of Homeland Security:

In support of the Trump Administration’s reopening of the economy, Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad F. Wolf signed an order that exempts certain foreign professional athletes who compete in professional sporting events organized by certain leagues, including their essential staff and their dependents, from proclamations barring their entry into the U.S.

“Professional sporting events provide much needed economic benefits, but equally important, they provide community pride and national unity,” said Acting Secretary Wolf. “In today’s environment, Americans need their sports. It’s time to reopen the economy and it’s time we get our professional athletes back to work.”

The Department will work with the professional sporting groups to identify the specific athletes, essential staff, team and league leadership, spouses, and dependents covered by this exemption, including Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the Women’s National Basketball Association, the Professional Golfers’ Association Tour, the Ladies Professional Golf Association Tour, the National Hockey League, the Association of Tennis Professionals, and the Women’s Tennis Association.

Of course these powerful and connected companies get special treatment.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject:

^ Good to see. I hope the Lakers are in shape, and regain the coordination they developed as the season progressed.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject:

I'm rather annoyed that they get the special treatment but we have to follow the rules.

Athletes aren't essential employees maybe in Florida but to the rest of the world not so much.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I'm rather annoyed that they get the special treatment but we have to follow the rules.

Athletes aren't essential employees maybe in Florida but to the rest of the world not so much.

They aren't but if we had more sports to entertain us during this pandemic maybe people would not break quarantine and this could end sooner than later. As it is now, people are bored staying in their homes and what we are seeing is that they increasingly ignoring these orders.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Not me. Please get special treatment and give me some basketball!
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I think they should just play about 5 games and then go into the playoffs. The 8 teams in the east are pretty much locked in, i didn't see any team catching up to Orlando for that last spot. As for the west, they should have a "wildcard", 9-12 face eachother in a 4 team tournament, winner goes on to face Memphis in a 3 game series for that last west spot. Before the season stopped the 16 teams were already locked in IMO.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Really love the idea of ignoring conferences and doing 1-16 seeding.

https://twitter.com/actionnetworkhq/status/1264983225992167424?s=21
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Not me. Please get special treatment and give me some basketball!

If that's cool with you so be it but for the small businesses etc that aren't allowed to be open because of this virus but NBA players can go back to work so they can make the $$$ they don't have to pay back to networks it sucks for them.

Also shows that the NBA talking about how we're all in together and them telling us how to live our lives with social distancing, washing our hands etc was garbage like I suspected. I just hope people realize the NBA isn't as woke as they pretend to be.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Agree, they are non-essential, they shouldn’t taking tests and care from other people. If playing is that important donate half of salaries and revenue to health care workers and efforts. At least that would make it worthwhile. COVID has killed the season for me, bring on baseball.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Were you born yesterday? Hope not.

The rich and wealthy always get different treatment then the average people.

Just a fact of life
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Just a fact of life

Rich and wealthy people also have to watch for there jewelry and items getting stolen from thiefs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

This appears to benefit the Lakers. Significantly. Sigh me up LOL.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Just a fact of life

Of course they do its when they are patronizing and fake woke when its convenient for them I don't care for. I respect those who own the privilege and don't try and lecture others.

The NFL doesn't pretend they care most of the time I respect that. The NBA cares as long as it doesn't affect their bottom line.

venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Agree, they are non-essential, they shouldn’t taking tests and care from other people. If playing is that important donate half of salaries and revenue to health care workers and efforts. At least that would make it worthwhile. COVID has killed the season for me, bring on baseball.

Yep I like to see how they spin this one I mean if this virus is so awful etc where our lives are disrupted indefinitely so should theirs.

My overall point is if the NBA can come back so can everyone else. The fact they can come back but our lives are forever altered is ok though and makes their fake messages about social distancing etc saving lives just that .. fake.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:

If the NBA can start up then so can other places of business.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:

I think it would further cheapen an already cheapened title. You might as well use the NHL 24 team model.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Just a fact of life

Of course they do its when they are patronizing and fake woke when its convenient for them I don't care for. I respect those who own the privilege and don't try and lecture others.

The NFL doesn't pretend they care most of the time I respect that. The NBA cares as long as it doesn't affect their bottom line.

venturalakersfan wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Yep I like to see how they spin this one I mean if this virus is so awful etc where our lives are disrupted indefinitely so should theirs.

My overall point is if the NBA can come back so can everyone else. The fact they can come back but our lives are forever altered is ok though and makes their fake messages about social distancing etc saving lives just that .. fake.

Sure, but is yours and everyone else’s workplace going to live in a protected bubble while going to work? You might but we sure as hell know most people won’t hence the country is still not fully open.

For the nba and Mlb, it will be a controlled environment with testing daily which wouldn’t be the case for corporate America.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:

I think it would further cheapen an already cheapened title. You might as well use the NHL 24 team model.

I would've expected nothing less from you!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Hey, if you want purity don't bother watching any sports in 2020 then. Nothing is going to plan this year. All sports have to change whether due to shortened seasons or continuation of a season due to the pandemic.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AD23 wrote:

1st Round Lakers(#2) vs Nets(#15)

Nets with healthy KD amd Kyrie?
Lakers with healthy Cousins?

They should also have a mini tournament fighting for the 16th spot from those teams that still have a big chance making the playoffs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AD23 wrote:

1st Round Lakers(#2) vs Nets(#15)

Nets with healthy KD amd Kyrie?
Lakers with healthy Cousins?

They should also have a mini tournament fighting for the 16th spot from those teams that still have a big chance making the playoffs.

Durant is almost certainly not going to play.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
AD23 wrote:

A mach madness style NBA playoff

Love it. At this point IDC what playoff structure they decided on. Best of 5, Best of 3, Win or go home. Lets just finish this season and crown a champion
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Hey, if you want purity don't bother watching any sports in 2020 then. Nothing is going to plan this year. All sports have to change whether due to shortened seasons or continuation of a season due to the pandemic.

Exactly. None of this is ideal but it’s better than nothing. If anything, I think it’d show bigger resolve if one of us, bucks or clips win it all after enduring a 3 month layoff.

Bottom line, so long as it counts in the record books, I’m good.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

I'm not sure what this "special treatment" you think the NBA is receiving.

Around the country, most businesses are in various stages of reopening. It really has nothing to do about being "essential"; it's about what restrictions they can put in place to mitigate the risk.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
If the NBA can start up then so can other places of business.

Yes they could. If all of the employees of said businesses were to go live in a contained area that doesn’t allow anybody in or out. If these employees were having daily testing done. And also any possible customers of said business would also have to live in this contained area as well.

Not sure why it’s so difficult to understand how sports can start back up easier than other businesses. Are they essential? Of course not. But if they are able to safely return, they should.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 94 of 130
Jump to: