NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
What are the chances they cancel the season because of this? It will also only take one player to be infected for them to shut down the season. And if they do shut it down, no one knows how long that is going to be. It could last a month, few months, or maybe until the end of the year. So there's a possibility that we might suffer a season with no champion being crowned.

imagine if they do that, wow, in the midst of Lakers' best season, cancelling this season means wasted one of LBJ's few remaining prime season, possibly opening the door for AD to sign elsewhere this summer. i know human lives are way more important than a game of basketball, but speaking from a pure Laker fan vaccum world, that would be suck big time.

dont see the reason to cancel the season if only one player gets sick. that player would simply be quarantined. now if he gave it to 30 others ...

they can simply play the games with no one watching except tv and streaming.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
What are the chances they cancel the season because of this? It will also only take one player to be infected for them to shut down the season. And if they do shut it down, no one knows how long that is going to be. It could last a month, few months, or maybe until the end of the year. So there's a possibility that we might suffer a season with no champion being crowned.

imagine if they do that, wow, in the midst of Lakers' best season, cancelling this season means wasted one of LBJ's few remaining prime season, possibly opening the door for AD to sign elsewhere this summer. i know human lives are way more important than a game of basketball, but speaking from a pure Laker fan vaccum world, that would be suck big time.

dont see the reason to cancel the season if only one player gets sick. that player would simply be quarantined. now if he gave it to 30 others ...

they can simply play the games with no one watching except tv and streaming.

The likelihood of the NBA season being cancelled is very very small. However, if the pandemic reach the point that that unlikely event occurs, the NBA will be about 10,000 on the list of things that I will be concerned about at that point
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
You all realize of course that the Flu has claimed well over 50000 lives world wide this year and that this is 3900 as of today....that the epicenter in China and Korea has leveled off as of last Friday...and that at minimum the recovery percentage is 96.2% and likely in the 99% range once final epidemiological results are tallied at years end?

This data come directly from the CDC and WHO and is easily verified.

I understand concern for elderly and immunocompromised people...but this is now reached hysteria. Total cases in US is under 1000 and no new hot spot will exceed the numbers found in China at the epicenter.

Make a person afraid and they will beg you to take away their freedom...and pay for it in the process.

Ask questions folks...do your own research...follow the $.

Corona is 10x as deadly as the flu. If we don't eradicate it now and it becomes as common as the flu then the 300k to 600k who die from flu each year are joined by 3M to 6M covid deaths every year for the foreseeable future.

You don't understand how the immune system works or infectious disease.

This statement is what being infected by fear looks like.

#BannersOverBillboards
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
You all realize of course that the Flu has claimed well over 50000 lives world wide this year and that this is 3900 as of today....that the epicenter in China and Korea has leveled off as of last Friday...and that at minimum the recovery percentage is 96.2% and likely in the 99% range once final epidemiological results are tallied at years end?

This data come directly from the CDC and WHO and is easily verified.

I understand concern for elderly and immunocompromised people...but this is now reached hysteria. Total cases in US is under 1000 and no new hot spot will exceed the numbers found in China at the epicenter.

Make a person afraid and they will beg you to take away their freedom...and pay for it in the process.

Ask questions folks...do your own research...follow the $.

The “common” flu is deadly every winter, what we are seeing is a different strain. As for the poll, the NBA will make that decision. Fans and players will have to adapt.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

If one player gets sick, the entire team will be quarantined

What happens if in the middle of playoff series, one player gets sick. Does the team just forfeit the playoff series?

Will be interesting to see what the NBA does. Looking at the trends worldwide, it seems inevitable that they will be playing to empty arenas.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Let's be sure to post a link to any medical, scientific or statistical claims.

Quotes and links are better than summary and opinion.

korea and china
korea went into quarantine for affected area early
china had disaster and had to shut down the country for 5 weeks
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

usa and italy
usa had 14-day policy for visitors who was in china last 14 days
italy had quarantine for affected areas and then just locked down entire country yesterday
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

Let me begin by saying that I have a tremendous amount of respect for everyone here and appreciate how scary this situation can feel given the amount of news coverage this virus Is getting and how inadequate our education on health and how to care for our body has been for far too many of us.

Let me also say that I am not an epidemiologist and I dont work in a lab at the CDC.

I am not Republican or a Democrat or any other subsect of American voter.

My background is in medicine. I have a doctorate. I am licensed. And I have been teaching in the field helping thousands of Americans over the last 20 years.

And I worry for our country.

I worry that we've become so afraid of getting sick that we are surrendering freedoms millions before us have fought and died to protect.

I worry that our lack of understanding of how our immune system works and how awesome it is makes situations like this so much worse than it really is.

There are 2 factors in infection...Exposure...which we all know of. And Susceptibility...which very few acknowledge.

There is a reason that COVID-19 is dangerous for elderly, people with severe and declining health statuses, and the immunocompromised....because they are more susceptible.

We dont know what the actual fatality rate is with COVID-19 because we have no idea of the true amount of people who have been infected and without that number we can only use the confirmed infection numbers which are always much lower than the true number...which in turn inflates the morbidity rates. They will adjust these down later in the year AND every epidemiologist who has been quoted on this agrees. Right now it is at 3.88% but that's not using people who have been infected but not yet reported.

That means that 96.12% recover...and 75% of that is within 2 weeks according to the CDC.

As of yesterday 3119 of the 3800 fatalities have occurred China related directly to the epicenter. That is wonderful news for the world.

If new hotspots were showing spread rates at the same infectious acceleration as the epicenter then it would mean this virus can likely be transmitted via aerosol droplets and then is MUCH more dangerous. What we think we know now is that it can be spread through respiratory droplets...aka a runny nose.

The most common symptoms mimic typical viral infections in most previously healthy people. Low grade fever, body aches as the immune system produces interferon to block viral replications buying time for antigen presenting cells to replicate and study these antigen for eradication, cough, runny nose, head aches, etc.

Is death sad regardless...of course.

But fear is an infection as well.

Fear leads to irrational behavior...behavior that adversely impacts our freedoms.

Soap is amazing.
Indoor plumbing is amazing.
Refrigeration is amazing.
Hot water heaters are amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.
Daily change of clothes are amazing.
Sanitation departments are amazing.

All of these technologies become common in households of 1st world nations after the last major airborne pandemic. The Spanish Flu of 1918.

My point is that the public health is beautifully protected by these technologies and has been for now more than a century.

COVID-19 is scary...I get it.

I'm simply saying...go to the CDC and WHO and look at the actual data. It's incredibly reassuring.

And that if you only rely on the fear being peddled by the media cherry picking stats based on incomplete data then you risk paying to surrender freedoms that too many brave men and women have fought and died to protect.

Respect each of you and the situation.

I just refuse to be swept up into the fear generated hysteria and I encourage each of you to look at the data so you dont have to either.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

#BannersOverBillboards
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately as logical as some these posts are indicating these fears are overblown...humans have a weakness termed myopic loss aversion which has been shown and repeated in many many experiments.

Basically as a whole we amplify losses. The unconscious and emotional parts of our brain amplify any situation where a loss or fear of loss is encountered. And the media amplifies this further.

A good example was the 2012 fear of the end of the world. Despite it being utter BS plenty of media and people talked about it.

So we can’t expect people to act rationally in these matters. It’s in our genes.
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

korea and china

usa and italy
italy had quarantine for affected areas and then just locked down entire country yesterday

Let me begin by saying that I have a tremendous amount of respect for everyone here and appreciate how scary this situation can feel given the amount of news coverage this virus Is getting and how inadequate our education on health and how to care for our body has been for far too many of us.

Let me also say that I am not an epidemiologist and I dont work in a lab at the CDC.

My background is in medicine. I have a doctorate. I am licensed. And I have been teaching in the field helping thousands of Americans over the last 20 years.

I worry that we've become so afraid of getting sick that we are surrendering freedoms millions before us have fought and died to protect.

I worry that our lack of understanding of how our immune system works and how awesome it is makes situations like this so much worse than it really is.

There are 2 factors in infection...Exposure...which we all know of. And Susceptibility...which very few acknowledge.

There is a reason that COVID-19 is dangerous for elderly, people with severe and declining health statuses, and the immunocompromised....because they are more susceptible.

We dont know what the actual fatality rate is with COVID-19 because we have no idea of the true amount of people who have been infected and without that number we can only use the confirmed infection numbers which are always much lower than the true number...which in turn inflates the morbidity rates. They will adjust these down later in the year AND every epidemiologist who has been quoted on this agrees. Right now it is at 3.88% but that's not using people who have been infected but not yet reported.

That means that 96.12% recover...and 75% of that is within 2 weeks according to the CDC.

As of yesterday 3119 of the 3800 fatalities have occurred China related directly to the epicenter. That is wonderful news for the world.

If new hotspots were showing spread rates at the same infectious acceleration as the epicenter then it would mean this virus can likely be transmitted via aerosol droplets and then is MUCH more dangerous. What we think we know now is that it can be spread through respiratory droplets...aka a runny nose.

The most common symptoms mimic typical viral infections in most previously healthy people. Low grade fever, body aches as the immune system produces interferon to block viral replications buying time for antigen presenting cells to replicate and study these antigen for eradication, cough, runny nose, head aches, etc.

Fear leads to irrational behavior...behavior that adversely impacts our freedoms.

Soap is amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.

All of these technologies become common in households of 1st world nations after the last major airborne pandemic. The Spanish Flu of 1918.

My point is that the public health is beautifully protected by these technologies and has been for now more than a century.

I'm simply saying...go to the CDC and WHO and look at the actual data. It's incredibly reassuring.

And that if you only rely on the fear being peddled by the media cherry picking stats based on incomplete data then you risk paying to surrender freedoms that too many brave men and women have fought and died to protect.

I just refuse to be swept up into the fear generated hysteria and I encourage each of you to look at the data so you dont have to either.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

real talk doc! i also refuse to be consumed by fear like many other people who are blowing this out of proportion.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject:

It needs to be empty arenas and needed to be last week. It's incredibly stupid when simple measures can be taken to curb the spread of this horrid disease that people won't take them. NBA ultimately is entertainment and not a fundamental need.

Lebron's ego can take a back seat for now.

Proactive measures are called for.. anything that can buy time for a vaccine to be developed would be worth it.

ALL large group events need to be shut down worldwide until we figure out what the hell is going on..
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are at a great disadvantage without their fans. Especially on the road.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject:

I don't think it takes a conspiracist or Einstein to know fear is how government controls the masses. We are constantly conditioned to fear this and that, especially fear other countries who do not have the same political system. It's how any society is controlled to remain obedient as well as united. To stay obedient, there has to be a fear for losing your life, then mom and dad will come and tell you what to do to stay safe. To be united, you have to have enemies, and boy, don't we always have enemies? When the dust settles, 5-10 yrs from now. Look at the business or political landscape and see who's powerful. Then see if you can track their movements before, during and after this chaos.

In the meantime, wash your hands!
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

fatality rate for those over 80, 22%
fatality rate for ages 10 to 39, 0.2%
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

korea and china

usa and italy

Soap is amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

lakerhalo
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

korea and china

usa and italy

Soap is amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

Thanks for informative posts, CR. Appreciate it
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/coronavirus-warriors-to-play-games-in-empty-arena-after-san-francisco-bans-crowds-of-1000-or-more/

The Warriors have gone to the empty arena mode.. I fully expect other cities to take the lead.

I'd honestly prefer this than having games in Omaha or Boise
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1237821037657522176?s=19
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

korea and china

usa and italy

Soap is amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

i certainly understand and respect your perspective.
however, the most important fact is that asymptomatic people are contagious.
your post seems to imply otherwise.
second, the biggest danger is the ability of this virus to completely overload the medical capacity of a community. without medical care, the death rates shoot up as seen in china, iran and italy.

certainly freedoms are critical but compromise is often needed.
just look at what actually happened in europe vs korea.
korea has aggressively quarantined and their infection rates have now peaked.
in comparison, italy did not take an aggressive approach and their rates have gone out of control.
they now have a nationwide lock down, which is something korea has not had to do.

to me, the moral of the story is suffer earlier but suffer less OR suffer later but suffer more.

in areas that we do agree:
soap is amazing and the run on hand cleaner is completely irrational.
double that for the toilet paper
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The NCAA's men's and women's tournaments will be held without fans -- and only essential staff and limited family attendance.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

So the tickets have to be refunded if he arenas are empty, right? That can’t be good for the the cap since it affects BRI. I wonder what implications that has for AD’s contract or any other free agency concerns?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources say the NBA is considering pushing its entire calendar back.

🆕 from @sam_amick ⤵️

(bleep), not good. Lakers are in a groove. Ballmer is loving this, more time for the clippers to gel.

Also, guys like KD and Simmons being able to come back from injury. Injuries are part of the season and results as we saw last season.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject:

They're playing games in empty arenas just like other sports and other countries are doing. Would be a shame if the Lakers made it to the finals but it is what it is. Can't wait for a vaccine next year so we could all move on from this mess.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I am also an MD. These are some of the key differences between COVID-19 and influenza:

1) There is no vaccine for COVID-19
2) There is no antiviral therapy for COVID-19 (we have oseltamivir AKA Tamiflu for influenza, which can shorten the infection and reduce its severity)
3) COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and last longer on surfaces than influenza
4) COVID-19 appears to have a higher mortality rate than influenza, especially among the elderly

I agree, the media hysteria is out of proportion to what is going on, but at the same time, downplaying the importance of COVID-19 does nothing positive. We already have a massive shortage of healthcare resources to begin with. If COVID-19 continues to spread at its current rate, our system will be unable to handle this burden. I think it's a solid, responsible move to clear out NBA arenas for games.

Also, as a side note, I strongly disagree with the so-called healthcare "experts" who recommend people not use face masks. I understand the argument that hospitals currently have a shortage of them and we should save them for providers, but the safest thing for someone to do is wear a mask (preferably N95) in public settings once production ramps up and there are enough masks to go around.

Even regular surgical masks likely provide some benefit. Not only would you prevent spread of COVID-19 if you are symptomatic and have a surgical mask on, but it would also prevent spread from asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19. In addition, although surgical masks weren't designed to prevent infection, having that barrier separation can prevent infection. The virus itself is small enough to go through the pores of the mask, but the virus never travels alone, it travels with a respiratory droplet that is too big to go through the mask. If the general public start wearing masks like in Asia and start practicing good hand hygiene, I think it could have a significant effect on the spread of this virus.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

^Thank you very for bringing up several important points that are often overlooked. As for the usage of face masks, they are widely used in Taiwan by nearly everyone which has helped thus far in their effort to contain the virus versus other nations that don’t recommend them.
JacksonLN
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Major European countries are postponing their respective soccer leagues. Italy already did. It wouldn't be shocking if the NBA did the same.

Last edited by JacksonLN on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't know exactly what are they doing in the USA but here in Europe the situation is becoming overwhelming. Italy has shut down the entire country just 1 hour ago, Spain, Germany and France are gradually shutting down schools and recommending people to work at home. Even if the NBA acts right not allowing people into the arenas, it won't matter if extra measures are not taken by the government to stop the virus spreading.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 2 of 130
Jump to: