NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject:

skin wrote:
I am also an MD. These are some of the key differences between COVID-19 and influenza:

1) There is no vaccine for COVID-19
2) There is no antiviral therapy for COVID-19 (we have oseltamivir AKA Tamiflu for influenza, which can shorten the infection and reduce its severity)
3) COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and last longer on surfaces than influenza
4) COVID-19 appears to have a higher mortality rate than influenza, especially among the elderly

I agree, the media hysteria is out of proportion to what is going on, but at the same time, downplaying the importance of COVID-19 does nothing positive. We already have a massive shortage of healthcare resources to begin with. If COVID-19 continues to spread at its current rate, our system will be unable to handle this burden. I think it's a solid, responsible move to clear out NBA arenas for games.

Also, as a side note, I strongly disagree with the so-called healthcare "experts" who recommend people not use face masks. I understand the argument that hospitals currently have a shortage of them and we should save them for providers, but the safest thing for someone to do is wear a mask (preferably N95) in public settings once production ramps up and there are enough masks to go around.

Even regular surgical masks likely provide some benefit. Not only would you prevent spread of COVID-19 if you are symptomatic and have a surgical mask on, but it would also prevent spread from asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19. In addition, although surgical masks weren't designed to prevent infection, having that barrier separation can prevent infection. The virus itself is small enough to go through the pores of the mask, but the virus never travels alone, it travels with a respiratory droplet that is too big to go through the mask. If the general public start wearing masks like in Asia and start practicing good hand hygiene, I think it could have a significant effect on the spread of this virus.

just wanna add to the face mask thing. i went to Kaiser last week for my sinus allergy, it was a pretty big Kaiser facility, i noticed only a few patients (included me) wearing masks. none of the healthcare workers (doctors and nurses) wore any. when i brought this up with my primary physician, he told me facemasks are for people who had already gotten the virus to prevent them from spreading. the contigeous particle from the virus is generally speaking heavier than most particles in the air, therefore they don't stay in air that long. it's unlikely you will get the virus breathing in air (unless you stand face to face to a carrier). he also added washing hands are essential, you'll be highly likely get infected from door knobs, elevator buttons, etc.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1237873632992350212?s=19
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

lol this whole thing is a joke
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

just so this sh*t happens in the midst of Lakers' great season. what a timing. we could be looking at LBJ pissed away one of his few prime seasons.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
just so this sh*t happens in the midst of Lakers' great season. what a timing. we could be looking at LBJ pissed away one of his few prime seasons.

We'd benefit the most if given an extended time off.

Lebron with 1-2 months of rest going into the home stretch? The rest of the league doesn't want any of that smoke.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Lebron with 1-2 months of rest going into the home stretch? The rest of the league doesn't want any of that smoke.

Teams have expressed that they would rather play in empty arenas then to extend the season. Silver agrees and is leaning towards making it official tomorrow.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That's a real good way of looking at it. Plus, negate whatever load management advantage younger Clippers might have thought they had. Be ideal for Lebron, and AD. I like the net advantage for our guys.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:

It really is not. People who have parents or grandparents who are older (like me) certainly are not laughing. Neither should young people. The danger to young people is not the virus itself, but rather if it makes people vulnerable to secondary infections like pneumonia or other diseases, which is probably likely (I am NOT a doctor). Normally, that might not be the worst thing since modern medicine is very good, but if this virus spreads as much as people fear (and it sounds very plausible given how long people seem to be contagious without presenting symptoms) then our hospitals and medical facilities could easily get overwhelmed and people who would normally be saved are much more vulnerable due to a strained medical system.

Hospitals and medical facilities being overwhelmed also affects the medical outcomes of people who have conditions completely unrelated to the corona virus or who suffer car accidents/falls/heart attacks, etc. This isn’t something to laugh about and I’m glad we are finally trying to take measures to limit the scope of this virus.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

So Rudy Golbert got sick after touching all the mics, etc (he wanted to make a point) on his way out of a post game presser. And now the Utah/Thunder game is in jeopardy while they test to see what exactly is ailing Monsieur Golbert

Per Royce Young

Both teams are heading to their locker rooms. I think the game might’ve just been called.

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/1237894589878394880?s=21

Just heard official Ben Taylor say he doesn’t exactly know what’s going on, but that he’s been asked to delay the game. It hasn’t been officially called, but players did wave at fans as they walked off the floor.

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/1237894940841082880?s=21
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Jazz Thunder game delayed. Players pulled off the court.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I’m so pissed. My uncle lives in Salt lake and won court side seats at his job to the Lakers game Monday. He gave them to me...was gonna fly up smh.

The universe doesn’t want me to have nice things...
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Jazz OKC game postponed and fans were asked to leave the arena.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

WOW
Mamba81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Mamba81 wrote:

It really is not. People who have parents or grandparents who are older (like me) certainly are not laughing. Neither should young people. The danger to young people is not the virus itself, but rather if it makes people vulnerable to secondary infections like pneumonia or other diseases, which is probably likely (I am NOT a doctor). Normally, that might not be the worst thing since modern medicine is very good, but if this virus spreads as much as people fear (and it sounds very plausible given how long people seem to be contagious without presenting symptoms) then our hospitals and medical facilities could easily get overwhelmed and people who would normally be saved are much more vulnerable due to a strained medical system.

Hospitals and medical facilities being overwhelmed also affects the medical outcomes of people who have conditions completely unrelated to the corona virus or who suffer car accidents/falls/heart attacks, etc. This isn’t something to laugh about and I’m glad we are finally trying to take measures to limit the scope of this virus.

its a figure of speech.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Damn, so is this Thunder/Jazz game being full on delayed or is it gonna be played soon without fans?
#18 next...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject:

nba needs to punish golbert in a serious way.
may be suspended for the entire duration of the playoffs.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
So Rudy Golbert got sick after touching all the mics, etc (he wanted to make a point) on his way out of a post game presser. And now the Utah/Thunder game is in jeopardy while they test to see what exactly is ailing Monsieur Golbert

Good job Rudy. You made your point.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
You all realize of course that the Flu has claimed well over 50000 lives world wide this year and that this is 3900 as of today....that the epicenter in China and Korea has leveled off as of last Friday...and that at minimum the recovery percentage is 96.2% and likely in the 99% range once final epidemiological results are tallied at years end?

This data come directly from the CDC and WHO and is easily verified.

I understand concern for elderly and immunocompromised people...but this is now reached hysteria. Total cases in US is under 1000 and no new hot spot will exceed the numbers found in China at the epicenter.

Make a person afraid and they will beg you to take away their freedom...and pay for it in the process.

Ask questions folks...do your own research...follow the $.

Corona is 10x as deadly as the flu. If we don't eradicate it now and it becomes as common as the flu then the 300k to 600k who die from flu each year are joined by 3M to 6M covid deaths every year for the foreseeable future.

I don't know why people don't take this seriously Influenza and other viruses have been around for years. This new one just appeared 3-4 months ago killing alot of people. Companies cancelling events and implementing WFH. Italy going into chaos with this spread, doesn't that sound concerning to some of you people???

Last edited by bandiger on Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Damn, so is this Thunder/Jazz game being full on delayed or is it gonna be played soon without fans?

If one of the players has the virus, then the whole league is going to shut down for a couple of weeks at least. These guys touch each other and the ball all the time and a lot of them lick their hands during games.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Saw a tweet that Mudiay and Gobert are being sent to the hospital to be tested for coronavirus
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Saw a tweet that Mudiay and Gobert are being sent to the hospital to be tested for coronavirus

Yup. M. Golbert’s personal protest seems to be the cause of all this. Even if it’s not Corona, touching a bunch of mics was a great way to get a cold or the flu and then share it with his teammates. Good job Rudy :/
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Seems likely that the league is going to shut down for a few weeks. My guess: league is eventually going to cancel the rest of the regular season and hope that this is seasonal like the flu so that the playoffs can be played during the summer.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

So yeah

Per Jones

Both teams and lockerrooms are currently quarantined. Nobody has left Chesapeake Arena

https://twitter.com/tjonesonthenba/status/1237910514694598657?s=21
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
So yeah

Per Jones

Both teams and lockerrooms are currently quarantined. Nobody has left Chesapeake Arena

https://twitter.com/tjonesonthenba/status/1237910514694598657?s=21

I’m sure Gobert’s teammates are finding his little joke to be hilarious right now.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That's a real good way of looking at it. Plus, negate whatever load management advantage younger Clippers might have thought they had. Be ideal for Lebron, and AD. I like the net advantage for our guys.

Then might as well drop Neon Dion and pick Boogie up again, he be good by this summer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 3 of 130
Jump to: