What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject:

I was born in Mexico, raised in the US, and vacationed/visited The D.R. many times (about six).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I wish all people who are pro ICE could be made refugees in a country where they were exploited in poverty, backbreaking work, and physical danger, and then captured and deported to a more dangerous and desperately poor place.

ICE should be abolished. Bring back the INS and have every wannabe Gestapo ICE thug now out terrorizing immigrant communities taken off the street and put behind a desk in the dinkiest federal office building to be found in Fairfax where they do rote data entry all day.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject:

The Quaalude speed of Sexy Sadie is the best version.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject:

Humanity is nothing more than an ant farm in a superior beings toybox. Simply toys that it has no current interest in playing with. Our oversized sense of self makes us believe we are more significant than we really are. In time, that being matures and we'll be forgotten, as most childhood toys are, and eventuality that child will grow up and we'll all suffer the fate of that ant farm at the bottom of that child's toybox. Basically miniscule atomic particles in the grand scheme of things, wishing we were more significant than we really are. Of course, just a guess.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject:

Vince Carter is overrated. He could have retired in 2010 and no one would have noticed the difference. His legacy is essentially continuing to exist in the NBA way past his expiration date. He is, at best, a first ballot inductee to the hall of very good. The fact that someone like Vince Carter will end up being a first ballot hall of famer is why the Basketball hall of fame is an absolute joke. His ego caused him to run out two vastly superior players: T-Mac (his (bleep) cousin) and Bosh.

This post is brought to you by someone triggered over reading "Vince Carter revolutionized the game of basketball." GROSS
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Vince Carter is overrated. He could have retired in 2010 and no one would have noticed the difference. His legacy is essentially continuing to exist in the NBA way past his expiration date. He is, at best, a first ballot inductee to the hall of very good. The fact that someone like Vince Carter will end up being a first ballot hall of famer is why the Basketball hall of fame is an absolute joke. His ego caused him to run out two vastly superior players: T-Mac (his (bleep) cousin) and Bosh.

This post is brought to you by someone triggered over reading "Vince Carter revolutionized the game of basketball." GROSS

I think most people would agree. Vince was an All Star level player and nothing more. The standards for the HoF dropped a long time ago.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject:

This thread was getting bifurcated into two discussions -- the controversial opinions discussion and the important discussion. I split the talk of serious alcohol off to its own thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I think most people would agree. Vince was an All Star level player and nothing more. The standards for the HoF dropped a long time ago.

I hope. I think most people did back when he was relevant. But years of existing as an okay role player has persuaded a whole bunch of nephews who've grown up on nothing but VC highlights that he's some legend of the game. His legacy is being washed for most of his career, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and refusing to dunk in Toronto so as to tank his value and force a trade.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
This thread was getting bifurcated into two discussions -- the controversial opinions discussion and the important discussion. I split the talk of serious alcohol off to its own thread.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I hope. I think most people did back when he was relevant. But years of existing as an okay role player has persuaded a whole bunch of nephews who've grown up on nothing but VC highlights that he's some legend of the game. His legacy is being washed for most of his career, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and refusing to dunk in Toronto so as to tank his value and force a trade.

I agree that his willing transition into a useful bench guy did wonders for his image in the eyes of the Great Noble Sportswriter class. Hell if Melo could have done the same I think you’d see a similar shift in thought on his career. However I don’t think his Toronto quit job has been whitewashed. It still seems to be one of the first things people bring up when they talk about him. He’s hardly the first guy to quit on a team but he may have been the first guy to admit it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Humanity is nothing more than an ant farm in a superior beings toybox. Simply toys that it has no current interest in playing with. Our oversized sense of self makes us believe we are more significant than we really are. In time, that being matures and we'll be forgotten, as most childhood toys are, and eventuality that child will grow up and we'll all suffer the fate of that ant farm at the bottom of that child's toybox. Basically miniscule atomic particles in the grand scheme of things, wishing we were more significant than we really are. Of course, just a guess.

This feels like a 'shrooms post more than an acid post.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I don't think he's necessarily a 1st ballot HOFer (it would depend on the class), but peak productivity and longevity easily make him a HOF level talent. I think Clyde Drexler was better than VC, but he wasn't that much better and The Glide was a first ballot guy with Barkley, Rodman, and 'Nique back in 2000.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

This feels like a 'shrooms post more than an acid post.

Look at them. They believe they are peering out at God. An all powerful omnipotent being who can at anytime of his choosing, lift up their world and cause immeasurable calamity. Look closely in his eyes. I've seen that grin before. You know what's coming next for them... EARTHQUAKE!

Not for the Feint of Heart. If you are queezy about Seeing God, Then Do NOT CLICK. God cannot be unseen. Save Yourself the Mystery Until the day of your Untimely Demise and Do Not Yield to the Urge to take a Peek at God in Action

(For the record, '84 Merlot with a 6 Pack Swiss Lowenbrau Chaser )
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Vince Carter also attended his graduation ceremony at North Carolina on the same day as Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Ridiculous. I mean, you did it. You went back to school to get your degree, which is great. But he didn't have to actually be there on that day. You still accomplished the goal. Not actually being there doesn't take that away. Given that it was the biggest game of his professional career, it was an absolutely terrible decision.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I don't think he's necessarily a 1st ballot HOFer (it would depend on the class), but peak productivity and longevity easily make him a HOF level talent. I think Clyde Drexler was better than VC, but he wasn't that much better and The Glide was a first ballot guy with Barkley, Rodman, and 'Nique back in 2000.

Going by criterion to be inducted into the HOF Vince should be placed if only for his longevity. There are players in the hall for their unique contributions.

Not a first round but a considerarion.

Quote:
WHAT MAKES AN ULTIMATE HALL OF FAMER IN THE PLAYER CATEGORY? Player Category Eligibility Criteria: Former players with a distinguished record of competitive achievement at the highest national and/or international levels, with additional consideration given to integrity, longevity sportsmanship, and character.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Going by criterion to be inducted into the HOF Vince should be placed if only for his longevity. There are players in the hall for their unique contributions.

Not a first round but a considerarion.

Quote:
WHAT MAKES AN ULTIMATE HALL OF FAMER IN THE PLAYER CATEGORY? Player Category Eligibility Criteria: Former players with a distinguished record of competitive achievement at the highest national and/or international levels, with additional consideration given to integrity, longevity sportsmanship, and character.

His longevity matters, certainly, but he was a reliable, if unsexy, scoring machine for his first ten years in the league. Few players in modern NBA history averaged 20+ ppg over as many years as VC did (9 of his first 10 seasons). He was also a competent passer and not terrible defender, and he generally helped his teams win even if was miscast at times as a 1st option.

I don't see the controversy, tbh, but maybe in 20 years Zach Lavine will be inducted into the HOF and I'll realize the error of my ways supporting VC as a candidate.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I do respect the argument that it should be increasingly more difficult to earn entry to the HOF, though. Like, even if Dave Bing is in the HOF, he played in a different era and that doesn't mean we shouldn't contextualize Paul Pierce's contributions to basketball as less impressive vis-a-vis the era when Bing was in his prime.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

"We've seen more progress after a month of protesting than we've seen over a decade of voting"

No. No, you haven't.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Ornette Coleman >> John Coltrane
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject:

No carbon energy free state will be able to achieve such without nuclear power in the medium term. Germany and Japan have hurt themselves by abandoning nuclear power too early.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject:

The United States is an immigrant nation (sorry, Native Amerucans) and anyone from around the world who can pass a background check should be welcomed to become US citizens.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

"We've seen more progress after a month of protesting than we've seen over a decade of voting"

No. No, you haven't.

I've seen progress in policing since the murder of George Floyd. My son, a 30 year police vet, said he's seen noticeable changes.

It's a tragedy a Black man had to murdered before the eyes of the world to make police brutality, something we've, I'm Black, complained about for years be believed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

Michael Jordan is overrated.

Hakeem Olajuwon is the GOAT.

It was more damaging to the Republicans longterm that Donald won. Sure, they grifted their way to two supreme court seats, but Republicans are going to be taking a hit historically and politically for decades. Conservative ideas are going to be waning, too, as more progressives have become increasingly motivated and active.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Not really controversial, at least to me: Given the same opportunities/access to resources, any "normal" person (regardless of race/ethnicity/gender/etc.) can succeed in life.

The belief that some races/ethnicities are smarter (better) than others: That's NOT something I believe.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Ornette Coleman >> John Coltrane

Ornedtte Coleman>>Sonny Stitt>>John Coltrane.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 3 of 80
Jump to: