What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Dwyane Wade and Isiah Thomas didn't know how to properly spell their first names, in the conventional sense.

Dwayne or Duane

Isaiah

Agreed, this is why babies shouldn't name themselves, they (bleep) suck at spelling.

They didn't know it was wrong because their parents were responsible for the misspellings, so the kids grew up in ignorance.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Golf is:

-elitist
-boring
-classist
-a tragic waste of land
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Golf is:

-elitist

Used to be when Golf Clubs ruled with discriminatory practices for membership. But the vast majority of people playing the game these days are just working stiffs. Most golf clubs that aren't in that ultra-established level are starting to hurt as that generation does off. Many are transforming to family based places for anybody who wants to join.

Quote:
-boring

Maybe to watch for those who don't play. But nothing boring about it for those that do. Nothing like being in a gorgeous spot with lots of greenery around and fresh air to make a fine day - views and wildlife while having fun socialing with good friends over some friendly competition. And the excitement of a great shot or fun round is anything but dull.

Quote:
-classist

No more than tennis is.

Quote:
-a tragic waste of land

Sure, let's turn over that land to developers so they can cram in more expensive housing or crammed in condos. Because that's all that will happen. Better to have the open green space.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sure, let's turn over that land to developers so they can cram in more expensive housing or crammed in condos. Because that's all that will happen. Better to have the open green space.

Should have been more specific. It’s a tragic waste of gigantic nature spaces that exclude people that don’t enjoy the boring, elitist, expensive game.

My solution wouldn’t be more condos either.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Also football is corrupt and immoral. We should get rid of it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Quote:
Maybe to watch for those who don't play. But nothing boring about it for those that do. Nothing like being in a gorgeous spot with lots of greenery around and fresh air to make a fine day - views and wildlife while having fun socialing with good friends over some friendly competition. And the excitement of a great shot or fun round is anything but dull.

Golf is the most challenging game I've ever played. Getting to a single digit handicap is the dream of those who play. I played to a 17. Only broke one club in the many years I played. Lowest ever score 79. Talking about being tired. It's amazing how draining concentrating can be.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I would 100% be down as a man to advance my career via sexual harassment by women.

I'm a midlevel peon in Oprah's empire and have to pleasure her to move up in rank??

Sign me up.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Let's blow up the spot:

Trans women are women and if you're a man sleeping with a trans woman you are not by default gay or bi.

Trans men are men and if you're a woman sleeping with a trans man you are not by default gay or bi.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

At least football is fun to watch. I don't understand the appeal of MMA. It's just brutality with no "game." (Yes, I get that there can be strategy to beating someone up, but I have no interest in watching that.) I used to be into boxing but swore that off after seeing one-too-many obviously rigged decisions. Finally just quit watching it, cold turkey.

To be clear, if I had a son, I would not let him play football, though.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

At least football is fun to watch. I don't understand the appeal of MMA. It's just brutality with no "game." (Yes, I get that there can be strategy to beating someone up, but I have no interest in watching that.) I used to be into boxing but swore that off after seeing one-too-many obviously rigged decisions. Finally just quit watching it, cold turkey.

Precisely my thoughts on all counts.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

There’s certainly a great deal of skill and training that goes into MMA, but it’s not why people tune in. They tune in to watch people get brutalized.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

There’s certainly a great deal of skill and training that goes into MMA, but it’s not why people tune in. They tune in to watch people get brutalized.

In complete agreement with that as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

Same. I'm not saying MMA athletes aren't skillful. It's just such a brutal thing to watch. I have no interest in that whatsoever.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject:

I judge sports based on the long term health effects to the participants. We'll see about MMA (the sport is still young).

I will say that it may be counter intuitive. Padding probably makes things worse. Because it allows for the damage to occur multiple times more than if there isn't padding.

For example, lets take an offensive or defensive lineman in the NFL. They play 70ish snaps a game. Times that by 16 games a season. We're talking over 1100 times they bang their body including their heads into another person per season. A boxer can take thousands of punches to the body or head throughout their career. And it's padding that makes it possible in both sports.

So MMA may not have the same long term health effects that NFL and boxing does. It would be interesting to look at the average lifespan of rugby players (play without padding) and compare it to football players.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'm not saying MMA athletes aren't skillful. It's just such a brutal thing to watch. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I watched one event when some coworkers and I went to a sports bar down the block from where we worked to grab a few drinks as we were wrapping up a grueling project. We were there for a couple of matches. It was unpleasant, and made more so by the sounds of people cheering as the fighters got brutalized.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I judge sports based on the long term health effects to the participants. We'll see about MMA (the sport is still young).

I will say that it may be counter intuitive. Padding probably makes things worse. Because it allows for the damage to occur multiple times more than if there isn't padding.

For example, lets take an offensive or defensive lineman in the NFL. They play 70ish snaps a game. Times that by 16 games a season. We're talking over 1100 times they bang their body including their heads into another person per season. A boxer can take thousands of punches to the body or head throughout their career. And it's padding that makes it possible in both sports.

So MMA may not have the same long term health effects that NFL and boxing does. It would be interesting to look at the average lifespan of rugby players (play without padding) and compare it to football players.

You raise some interesting points. I've heard it said many times that the safest boxing would actually be without gloves, because it reduces the force. Obviously, you'd greatly increase the risk of hand injuries if you removed the gloves, but I agree that it would actually be safer for the person getting hit if it were a no-glove sport.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:

You raise some interesting points. I've heard it said many times that the safest boxing would actually be without gloves, because it reduces the force. Obviously, you'd greatly increase the risk of hand injuries if you removed the gloves, but I agree that it would actually be safer for the person getting hit if it were a no-glove sport.

It'd still be a sport where the idea is punching (and kicking) people in the face and head with the intention of injuring them into submission. At least boxing in its purest form is more about scoring points than it is simply beating your opponent into submission.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

Same. I'm not saying MMA athletes aren't skillful. It's just such a brutal thing to watch. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

Ditto. I watched 20 minutes while waiting for my takeout order of wings. It turned my stomach.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject:

we should let death row inmates compete for stays through gladiator games or earn them in scientific/industrial trials like crash tests

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I'm not saying MMA athletes aren't skillful. It's just such a brutal thing to watch. I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I watched one event when some coworkers and I went to a sports bar down the block from where we worked to grab a few drinks as we were wrapping up a grueling project. We were there for a couple of matches. It was unpleasant, and made more so by the sounds of people cheering as the fighters got brutalized.

The thing i always found particularly horrific is when someone gets knocked unconscious and the other fighter continues to pound away at the expressionless face of their opponent. Even when the officials jump in to stop it they’re still receiving several defenseless blows to the head after the one that knocked them out. Not my idea of entertainment.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Let's blow up the spot:

Trans women are women and if you're a man sleeping with a trans woman you are not by default gay or bi.

Trans men are men and if you're a woman sleeping with a trans man you are not by default gay or bi.

I love that this take isn't controversial.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
Golf is:

-elitist

Used to be when Golf Clubs ruled with discriminatory practices for membership. But the vast majority of people playing the game these days are just working stiffs. Most golf clubs that aren't in that ultra-established level are starting to hurt as that generation does off. Many are transforming to family based places for anybody who wants to join.

Democrats allowed the low income people to invade the golf courses, upsetting the suburban housewives. MAGGA. Make American Golf Great Again.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ocho wrote:

Agreed. An evil sport.

Along with MMA.

Ditto. I watched 20 minutes while waiting for my takeout order of wings. It turned my stomach.

I love every second of it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 11 of 80
Jump to: