Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:
this hurts but if we lose both Avery and Dwight then its time to pack it in

Hmm we would still have Lebron James and Anthony Davis. You don't "pack it in". Dwight is great, but it's not as if Anthony Davis couldn't take all his center minutes and Morris could get minutes at the 4.

Yeah I totally forgot about Morris. A trio of AD/McGee/Morris isnt the worst at all but losing 2 very good defenders would hurt. we lose a bit of our identity that made us great defensively.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Meh it’s me but I am not as worried As some of you guys are

What makes you optimistic about this situation? AB is our best defending guard, one of two players that can make teams pay if they force us into a midrange game, is our first line of defense and is a hawk on the ball handler, owned Patbev, and arguably was our best guard after the all star break. This doesn’t even consider that Rondo likely gets more playing time. Waiters and J.R, if he comes, will not play over him. Hell, Caruso might struggle to get minutes over Rondo. I’m feeling ill.

Lol it’s not that bad
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley has opted-out of playing in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, Bradley told ESPN on Tuesday night.

Quote:
At forefront of Bradley’s decision to remain w/ his family is the well-being of the oldest of his 3 children. His 6-year old son has a history of struggling to recover from respiratory illnesses and would’ve been unlikely to be medically cleared to enter bubble with his family.

I don't blame him.

I get why the owners are pushing for a reopening. ($) But the players buying in right now are being penny wise and pound foolish.

Prime example is Tillman Fertitta. Houston Rockets owner. Weeks ago, like too many Texans, he was downplaying COVID. Check out what he said in this CNBC video today: https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/06/23/tilman-fertitta-masks-the-only-chance-businesses-have-to-stay-open.html

I doubt anybody misses the NBA more than me. But we are living through a pandemic. The likes of which we haven't seen for decades. And something we probably won't see for decades after.

And the virus doesn't care about collective bargaining agreements, TV revenue, fan boredom and restlessness, etc.

It is what it is. And keep in mind. The foremost virologist in the world couldn't tell you the long term affects of contracting COVID right now.

If you're reading this right now. All I can say is protect yourself and your family. Let people look at you funny for wearing a mask. Or socially distancing. It's their loss. Random strangers thinking you are paranoid are the same people who won't shed 1 tear if your health is negatively affected by this virus.
Da Beast!!!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for his decision but he better not get paid. That would be ridiculous. You cant not to do your job and expect to get paid. That's not how this works.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Da Beast!!! wrote:
I'm all for his decision but he better not get paid. That would be ridiculous. You cant not to do your job and expect to get paid. That's not how this works.

Who cares? Not my money.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley has opted-out of playing in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, Bradley told ESPN on Tuesday night.

Quote:
At forefront of Bradley’s decision to remain w/ his family is the well-being of the oldest of his 3 children. His 6-year old son has a history of struggling to recover from respiratory illnesses and would’ve been unlikely to be medically cleared to enter bubble with his family.

I don't blame him.

I get why the owners are pushing for a reopening. ($) But the players buying in right now are being penny wise and pound foolish.

Prime example is Tillman Fertitta. Houston Rockets owner. Weeks ago, like too many Texans, he was downplaying COVID. Check out what he said in this CNBC video today: https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/06/23/tilman-fertitta-masks-the-only-chance-businesses-have-to-stay-open.html

I doubt anybody misses the NBA more than me. But we are living through a pandemic. The likes of which we haven't seen for decades. And something we probably won't see for decades after.

And the virus doesn't care about collective bargaining agreements, TV revenue, fan boredom and restlessness, etc.

It is what it is. And keep in mind. The foremost virologist in the world couldn't tell you the long term affects of contracting COVID right now.

If you're reading this right now. All I can say is protect yourself and your family. Let people look at you funny for wearing a mask. Or socially distancing. It's their loss. Random strangers thinking you are paranoid are the same people who won't shed 1 tear if your health is negatively affected by this virus.

I just question why a week ago he was pushing for the season not to return with Kyrie, because of the civil unrest, and now it’s because of his son’s medical issues. Why didn’t he point to that as a reason why he didn’t want to return instead of advocating for the season not to come back in the first place? Pushing for the season to end would have impacted his own team and everyone else....
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Da Beast!!! wrote:

Quote:
Bradley stands to lose a projected $650,000 in salary by sitting out the season's resumption. He has averaged 8.6 points and 2.3 rebounds for Los Angeles this season.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

ZeroDark30_ wrote:

I just question why a week ago he was pushing for the season not to return with Kyrie, because of the civil unrest, and now it’s because of his son’s medical issues. Why didn’t he point to that as a reason why he didn’t want to return instead of advocating for the season not to come back in the first place? Pushing for the season to end would have impacted his own team and everyone else....

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I read last week he listened in on the Kyrie conversation. I haven't read he opposed resuming the season for the same reasons Kyrie expressed.

But even if he agrees with Kyrie's point from last week, he could have multiple reasons (health concerns AND BLM) for not coming back.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

kikanga wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I read last week he listened in on the Kyrie conversation. I haven't read he opposed resuming the season for the same reasons Kyrie expressed.

But even if he agrees with Kyrie's point from last week, he could have multiple reasons (health concerns AND BLM) for not coming back.

AB actually had legit objectives that he wanted to see the NBA implement in support of BLM. Kyrie was not as clear so yeah, they didn’t have the same reasons. I honestly just think he doesn’t want to come back, for multiple reasons. Which is his decision. Pushing for the season to not return at all was an odd stance to take. It could have taken the choice away from many players and it’s clear that most of the Lakers want to play.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

ZeroDark30_ wrote:

Can't speak for Avery, but, couple points stand out to me as plausible.

- He's involved in their talks and knows what most of the players' concerns are about. They're likely focused on presenting a unified voice. If he mentions his son's health, it would perhaps give the impression that he's got his own reasons for wanting to sit out (which he rightfully does) and this leads to my second thought..

- He may not have entirely made up his mind about whether or not he would rejoin the team in Orlando until the last couple days. I'm a father as well. I would keep details involving my family out of the news at least until it becomes a reality and requires an explanation to the team, etc.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

ZeroDark30_ wrote:

AB actually had legit objectives that he wanted to see the NBA implement in support of BLM. Kyrie was not as clear so yeah, they didn’t have the same reasons. I honestly just think he doesn’t want to come back, for multiple reasons. Which is his decision. Pushing for the season to not return at all was an odd stance to take. It could have taken the choice away from many players and it’s clear that most of the Lakers want to play.

To my knowledge Avery didn't specifically say BLM is why he's not returning. But hey if that's true. That's his choice. It's America. That's his right.

Whether that's the case or not, recently it has been explicitly stated he's worried about the respiratory health of his 6 year old. And if ANYONE has a child with a similar ailment. I think the decision he made is the right one. Too many people are pretending we aren't living through a pandemic. And it's not worth risking the health of a loved one.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject:

maybe i missed this in earlier reports but are all the players family members allowed to go and will most go?
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

Rek wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

Can't speak for Avery, but, couple points stand out to me as plausible.

- He's involved in their talks and knows what most of the players' concerns are about. They're likely focused on presenting a unified voice. If he mentions his son's health, it would perhaps give the impression that he's got his own reasons for wanting to sit out (which he rightfully does) and this leads to my second thought..

- He may not have entirely made up his mind about whether or not he would rejoin the team in Orlando until the last couple days. I'm a father as well. I would keep details involving my family out of the news at least until it becomes a reality and requires an explanation to the team, etc.

I think your second point seems more plausible. We’ll have to wait and see (I don’t know when the deadline is to opt out of the season) but so far all of the guys are going to Orlando, which means there was actually a much smaller group of guys that had the same concerns as Kyrie and AB.
This might sound awful to say, but while I think AB taking his stance with the civil unrest was genuine, I think if the NBA agreed with their concerns it would allow him and others to not face backlash if the NBA made the decision to not return for them instead. Which I get it. Everyone has been home for 3 months. Some guys just might not feel like returning. Only, that would be frowned upon by fellow players and fans. Not saying it’s the case here with AB but it could be a reason why. Don’t think any player would admit this outright.

Last edited by ZeroDark30_ on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject:

No Bradley, No ring. He was really balling for us on both sides of the floor.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
maybe i missed this in earlier reports but are all the players family members allowed to go and will most go?

Yes, family members will be allowed to come. I'm sure there's some sort of a limit, like you probably can't bring all your cousins and their wives/husbands and stuff like that, but immediate family can come.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
No Bradley, No ring. He was really balling for us on both sides of the floor.

It's a loss, but it's not an insurmountable loss.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

kikanga wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

To my knowledge Avery didn't specifically say BLM is why he's not returning. But hey if that's true. That's his choice. It's America. That's his right.

Whether that's the case or not, recently it has been explicitly stated he's worried about the respiratory health of his 6 year old. And if ANYONE has a child with a similar ailment. I think the decision he made is the right one. Too many people are pretending we aren't living through a pandemic. And it's not worth risking the health of a loved one.

I think someone just asked this but AB mentioned his reasons for not returning is because of his son likely not being cleared to join the bubble. Are families allowed to go? Haven’t heard that players are bringing their families.. If AB is worried about bringing something back home, wouldn’t he be quarantined first before traveling, just to be sure?
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

Yes, family members will be allowed to come. I'm sure there's some sort of a limit, like you probably can't bring all your cousins and their wives/husbands and stuff like that, but immediate family can come.

Hmmmm, I don’t agree with that, but I guess players wouldn’t have agreed if they had to be away for 3 months.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject:

this really hurts us
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

AB is a man of hustle, fortitude, and unspoken wisdom. His perspective is calibrated to family, team, community. The value of money is only what our collection of communities put faith into it; valueless without a truly healthy community and (especially family) in every sense. His low key response in the matter is respectable.

To risk your family’s health for, at best, a fake championship, would be unwise in terms of superficial risk/reward.

Last edited by €H£M£$TR¥ on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

Hmmmm, I don’t agree with that, but I guess players wouldn’t have agreed if they had to be away for 3 months.

That last part is correct, yes.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Woj: Avery Bradley Will Sit Out Orlando

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ZeroDark30_ wrote:

I think someone just asked this but AB mentioned his reasons for not returning is because of his son likely not being cleared to join the bubble. Are families allowed to go? Haven’t heard that players are bringing their families.. If AB is worried about bringing something back home, wouldn’t he be quarantined first before traveling, just to be sure?

There was a great post last week in one of these threads. It listed all the rules that have been reportedly made since the reopening has be announced.

Pretty much they combined all the Woj and Shams tweets from the past week and a half.

After the 1st round of the playoffs, each player on each team remaining can invite their family members to a recently opened hotel room (rooms players from eliminated teams were staying in). Players have to pay for it.
Also testing WON'T be everybody, everyday. It'll be randomized. Which makes sense due to the availability of tests.
Also players can FREELY leave the bubble. This isn't a basketball prison. But if a NBA player is CAUGHT leaving, they'll have to wait over a week before playing and practicing (funny enough the virus can transmit up to 2 weeks later).
The Houston Rockets owner admitted yesterday on CNBC. Players will get infected. It is a given. Especially given the Orlando area's spike in cases.
The NBA has a snitching hotline for players who break precautions (social distancing, mask wearing).
And no, not all Disney workers serving food, cleaning rooms, servicing in alot of areas will be subject to the same bubble as the NBA players.
Long story short. Avery's worries aren't unfounded.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Nnamdi21 wrote:

thanks, end of the day it was his decision and if a title really meant everything then he'd probably do it without allowing his son to travel with him. the BLM movement could have just been the tipping point for him.

this will really hurt vs the more explosive guards in the WC. but i'd rather go with someone who's fully in anyways
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Don't get me wrong. Fauci has worked with the NBA to make very appropriate and stringent rules for reopening.

But it's not something I'd risk my 6 year old's health on.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Don't get me wrong. Fauci has worked with the NBA to make very appropriate and stringent rules for reopening.

But it's not something I'd risk my 6 year old's health on.

yeah only way is if he kept his son isolated without any other family members meeting him. Just realized he was signed for 2 years so he probably is going to skip next year as well.

I wonder if the lakers can recoup their money for next year to sign someone else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: