Western Conf. Seeding Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject:

If there is a 3 way “tie,” the 10 seed will play the 9 seed and then the winner plays the 8 seed.

At least that’s what I read a while back. I don’t know if they changed it, but that was the proposed idea not too long ago.

I doubt we will have a 3 way tie. The most likely scenario is 9 seed is within 4 games and it’s strictly 8 vs. 9
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

It is an interesting gimmick. Just not sure it was needed.

Even if "normal" tiebreakers could not be used in this shortened season format, they could easily set a couple to just name an 8th seed.

Honestly, if I'm the Memphis organization or fan I'd be pretty pissed with this format. Just get "within four games" seems arbitrary to me. Should be catch us if you can in 8 games. If not, oh well ... on to the Lakers.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Just get "within four games" seems arbitrary to me. Should be catch us if you can in 8 games.

100%. I don’t agree with rewarding teams that didn’t bust their ass like Memphis did.

I know they probably extrapolated the within 4 game thing just because it’s only 8 games as opposed to the 20 games that were remaining. It’s still BS imo.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Just get "within four games" seems arbitrary to me. Should be catch us if you can in 8 games.

100%. I don’t agree with rewarding teams that didn’t bust their ass like Memphis did.

I know they probably extrapolated the within 4 game thing just because it’s only 8 games as opposed to the 20 games that were remaining. It’s still BS imo.

I think the rule was made just so Portland and Pelicans would play their best players in the bubble.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think the rule was made just so Portland and Pelicans would play their best players in the bubble.

Very well could be the case.

Memphis still got the short end of it tbh. They proved themselves over 60 games, tough to lose their spot on an 8 game restart where the blazers get back 2 key players that they wouldn’t have if the season didn’t stop.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Need Zion and Lilliard to bring in ratings...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna lie. I was happy about the Celtics win.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject:

I want HOU in the 3rd, 6th, or 7th seed. That's all that matters. They need to stay out of the 4-5 spot. Let Houston and Clips fight it out in the 2nd round.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I want HOU in the 3rd, 6th, or 7th seed. That's all that matters. They need to stay out of the 4-5 spot. Let Houston and Clips fight it out in the 2nd round.

I completely agree. The best path forward as I mentioned in my OP is (1) Grizzlies, (2) Jazz or Okc, (3) Nuggets so it would be even better if the Clips and Rockets face each other in the first round somehow

Last edited by KBandKB on Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Yeah, I want the Clippers to have to face them in the first round. No idea why Houston is only 6th.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1289978910910767104?s=21
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Updated the OP based on today's games:

Here is the current seeding (updated 8/2 EOD):

1. Lakers 50-15
2. Clippers 45-21
3. Nuggets 43-23
4. Rockets 42-24
5. Jazz 42-24
6. Thunder 41-24
7. Mavs 40-29
8. Grizzlies 32-35

9. Spurs 29-36 (2 gb)
10. Blazers 30-38 (2.5 gb)
11. Pelicans 28-38 (3.5 gb)
12. Kings 28-38 (3.5 gb)
13. Suns 28-39 (4 gb)

Important games 8/3:

Nuggets vs. Thunder
Grizzlies vs. Pelicaans
76ers vs. Spurs
Lakers vs. Jazz
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Need the Rockets to get that 3rd seed so Clips vs Rockets can happen. Will be rooting for them against Portland Tuesday for sure
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
It’s pretty much guaranteed Portland will be within 4 games.

Memphis will have their chance to hold on, but doesn’t look like they have enough to beat the Blazers in a 1 or 2 game play in tbh.

Which is likely hy the NBA went for this format. It wasn't for the East.

It was for a "better" team to be able to get withing the 4 game cutoff so they could push Memphis out of the spot. I think they thought it might be the Pels but the Blazers is also a much more enticing (and marketable) first rd series then the Grizz.

Also curious. What if more then one team is within the 4 game line? Or 2 or more times tied for 9th seed with the same record? They do not plan on multiple "play-in series", right?

There will be a multiple play-in series in that scenario.

Looks like Memphis is going to lose again. I’m sure Pop wants to stick it to the Lakers, help Dame and the Blazers out.

Not sure what the tiebreaker is. But if one team is in 8th, and you have a team in 9th (one game back) and a team in 10th (two games back), I'm pretty sure the 10th place team is out of it. I didn't see anything about a mutliple play in when you have two teams within four games of the 8th seed.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
It’s pretty much guaranteed Portland will be within 4 games.

Memphis will have their chance to hold on, but doesn’t look like they have enough to beat the Blazers in a 1 or 2 game play in tbh.

Which is likely hy the NBA went for this format. It wasn't for the East.

It was for a "better" team to be able to get withing the 4 game cutoff so they could push Memphis out of the spot. I think they thought it might be the Pels but the Blazers is also a much more enticing (and marketable) first rd series then the Grizz.

Also curious. What if more then one team is within the 4 game line? Or 2 or more times tied for 9th seed with the same record? They do not plan on multiple "play-in series", right?

There will be a multiple play-in series in that scenario.

Looks like Memphis is going to lose again. I’m sure Pop wants to stick it to the Lakers, help Dame and the Blazers out.

Not sure what the tiebreaker is. But if one team is in 8th, and you have a team in 9th (one game back) and a team in 10th (two games back), I'm pretty sure the 10th place team is out of it. I didn't see anything about a mutliple play in when you have two teams within four games of the 8th seed.

I think this is right based on this NBA.com page: https://www.nba.com/nba-returns-2020-faq

Quote:
Q: How will the play-in tournament work?
If the team with the eighth-best record in its conference is more than four games ahead of the team with the ninth-best record in the same conference, no play-in tournament will be necessary. The final playoff berth will simply go to the team with the eighth best record (regular-season games + seeding games).

But if the team with the eighth-best record in its conference is four games or fewer ahead of the team with the ninth-best record in the same conference, then we'll have a battle for the final spot between those two teams.

The tournament will basically be a best-of-two series -- where the No. 9 seed will have to win two head-to-head matchups to take over the No. 8 spot.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

We can participate in the seeding manipulation. We should win against Denver, thunders and jazz and "rest" against Rockets
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject:

rockets will do their best to avoid clippers and play us instead.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject:

Rockets 1 game back of 3rd with a fairly easy remaining 6 games. They can control who they want in the 2nd round.

Rockets aren’t losing any 1st round matchup against any of the teams 3-6.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject:

Rockets can only choose whether they face first the Lakers or the Clippers but the can't avoid any of them.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:

Right. The scenario I was alluding to was 9th and 10th are tied...let’s say each is 1 GB of 8.

Again I’m not sure if they changed it as it was fluid at the time. Not sure if it’s based on regular season head to head or if that stuff doesn’t matter in the bubble.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
markjay wrote:

Right. The scenario I was alluding to was 9th and 10th are tied...let’s say each is 1 GB of 8.

Again I’m not sure if they changed it as it was fluid at the time. Not sure if it’s based on regular season head to head or if that stuff doesn’t matter in the bubble.

The NBA season restart FAQ page links to the current tie breaker rules.

a. Two Teams Tied. In the case of a tie in regular-season records involving only two teams, the following criteria will be utilized in the following order:
(1) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
(2) Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division).
(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
(4) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
(5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
(6) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
(7) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).

https://stats.nba.com/playoffpicture/
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
rockets will do their best to avoid clippers and play us instead.

The Rockets won't be avoiding anyone. Still trying to get chemistry working with the version of this "new team" (small ball).
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Rockets 1 game back of 3rd with a fairly easy remaining 6 games. They can control who they want in the 2nd round.

Rockets aren’t losing any 1st round matchup against any of the teams 3-6.

i think denver will fall to 4th with rockets/flippers taking 2/3
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

OKC, you had your chance today.
Who would have thought CP3 would miss a FT.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
We can participate in the seeding manipulation. We should win against Denver, thunders and jazz and "rest" against Rockets

I like the way you think.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16
Jump to: