LA area man "robbed" of $200k in cash seconds after walking out of chase bank - possible other scenarios?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: LA area man "robbed" of $200k in cash seconds after walking out of chase bank - possible other scenarios?

https://abc7news.com/california-beating-life-savings-huntington-park-police-man-beaten-stolen/6357662/

fishy

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

If I'm not mistaken burglary, theft and robbery insurance covers up to $200,000. If so and he had it, it may be a double up. I can't reason why a lawyer?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Should have got gift cards...
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject:

What's the need for all that cash? Why not just do an online transfer?

I hate carrying cash...prefer to do all my purchases with credit/debit cards, or even Apple Pay. Only reason I have cash is for the couple Mexican restaurants / taco trucks that only accept it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Someone at the bank HAD to have tipped someone off.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I'm thinking more along the lines of some underworld criminal disguising a debt payment as a robbery.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Why cash? Even a cashier’s check would have been more convenient and traceable if stolen. Getting 200k in cash would have required a lot of trouble on his part since I don’t think banks carry that much on hand these days so would need advanced notice and extra procedures to do so.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I'm thinking more along the lines of some underworld criminal disguising a debt payment as a robbery.

Hmm, this makes even more sense. Not sure if it's the same for Filipinos but there's a boatload of Vietnamese degenerates that are gambling addicts. A broker I worked with owed hundreds of thousands to some real bad dudes. At one point they were just randomly stalking him. We would have coffee and some scary looking tatted up dude would just pull up and make small talk. He told me they'd park across the street from his house on random days. Needless to say, I stopped dealing with the degenerate.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Hmm, this makes even more sense. Not sure if it's the same for Filipinos but there's a boatload of Vietnamese degenerates that are gambling addicts. A broker I worked with owed hundreds of thousands to some real bad dudes. At one point they were just randomly stalking him. We would have coffee and some scary looking tatted up dude would just pull up and make small talk. He told me they'd park across the street from his house on random days. Needless to say, I stopped dealing with the degenerate.

But why would you risk brining police attention to such activity? You certainly wouldn't want to try and double down on the risk by involving an insurance company, who is certain to investigate it on their own as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Francisco Cornejo hiring a lawyer has me leaning toward insurance fraud. If he has theft and robbery insurance I'd lay odds on it.

I don't see anyone dragging $200,000 in cash. A cashiers check would be the way to go. If he wanted to pay individual bills he could put the money in a interest earning checking account, pay bills or whatever and make money on the interest.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

But why would you risk brining police attention to such activity? You certainly wouldn't want to try and double down on the risk by involving an insurance company, who is certain to investigate it on their own as well.

I haven't thought that far ahead .
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I haven't thought that far ahead .

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Why cash? Even a cashier’s check would have been more convenient and traceable if stolen. Getting 200k in cash would have required a lot of trouble on his part since I don’t think banks carry that much on hand these days so would need advanced notice and extra procedures to do so.

The alleged victim would have to make arrangements in advance with bank management, as your local retail branch would never carry $200K in cash. In fact, the branch manager would attempt to dissuade a customer from taking cash.

This sounds like either an insurance or gofundme scam. The individual who took the video should also be questioned.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

The alleged victim would have to make arrangements in advance with bank management, as your local retail branch would never carry $200K in cash. In fact, the branch manager would attempt to dissuade a customer from taking cash.

This sounds like either an insurance or gofundme scam. The individual who took the video should also be questioned.

I don’t get the insurance theories.

How can you insure $200k in cash? How do you buy such a policy? Why would you buy such a policy?

He had his life savings in the bank. While it’s in the bank, it’s FDIC insured up to $100k?

So he would only need a policy when he withdraws the money? So, before he went to withdraw the money, he went to buy a $200k policy that covers him from theft?

If he had insurance, why would he fight with the thief? That's the whole point in getting insurance? If I knew I was insured in that situation, I'd just let them take the money and then file the claim.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

The gofundme scam about that couple that "helped" the homeless guy comes to mind.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Yep!!

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I don’t get the insurance theories.

How can you insure $200k in cash? How do you buy such a policy? Why would you buy such a policy?

He had his life savings in the bank. While it’s in the bank, it’s FDIC insured up to $100k?

So he would only need a policy when he withdraws the money? So, before he went to withdraw the money, he went to buy a $200k policy that covers him from theft?

If he had insurance, why would he fight with the thief? That's the whole point in getting insurance? If I knew I was insured in that situation, I'd just let them take the money and then file the claim.

Especially when you have no guarantee that the insurance company would pay off.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: