The Many Saints of Newark (sopranos prequel)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: The Many Saints of Newark (sopranos prequel)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Many_Saints_of_Newark

this is the only movie I'm looking forward to

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Many Saints of Newark (sopranos prequel)

C M B wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Many_Saints_of_Newark

this is the only movie I'm looking forward to

Ooh, Livia lives! I hope that actress gets her voice down to a T and had a LOT of speaking parts.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Hope this is good! Can't wait to watch it
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject:

Love that Gandolfini’s son will have play him.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject:

It's almost here!

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

Yeah haven't watched a movie in years, but I will make the time to watch this one. Hope it's going to be good, trailer seems solid.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject:

Saw it. Meh, sadly. Cheap ending/plot.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject:

Kinda boring but felt like it’s a set up for part 2 with Harold new empire, junior soprano’s reign and Toni’s start but yeah, no need to go to a movie theater, watch it at home
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Love that Gandolfini’s son will have play him.

Spoiler: re a female character, a male wiseguy:

"I would eat her shh."

Reply from other male character: "AEEEEOOOOOOOOOWUH!1..."

That line didn't go over as well as you woulda expected.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Great watch. Hungry for more content from the world he bulit.

But knowing David Chase. I won't be getting some anytime soon. Maybe not at all.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Pinky swear.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Great watch. Hungry for more content from the world he bulit.

But knowing David Chase. I won't be getting some anytime soon. Maybe not at all.

If a sequel happens, the end of this one wasn't because of the laughing pt. The prison guy is gonna be behind what you saw (he will contract out to U Know Who -- merely laughing won't get the OK). Note the arc with prison guy wasn't completed and note his suspicions at the start re youse-know-what. That's gonna be the sequel's end answer. The laughing was just to throw you off. There's a Chase switcheroo waiting til pt 2. Chase's gimmicks are predictable to Sops superfans. Plus, too many loose ends for this to be a one-off. Ther was a definite No Country sendoff/homage scene, you surely recognized it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

It was horrible imho
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject:

I didn't care for it at all.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

It's like an episode 4-7 using a series comparison. If there's a sequal, it'd better be a 10-13 epi.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
It was horrible imho

Give it a chance. As Journey said, "Don't stop
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I brought you some sfogliatella.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

It was a perfect example of trying to do too much while actually doing very little. The production looked amazing and there were some interesting moments, but sometimes it felt a little too slick and over done.

There was nothing that sucked you in. It felt like episode one of a 12 episode first season, not a stand alone film or even a part one of a two parter. It was trying to set stuff up, but then rapidly accelerated what should be nunaced plot lines, like Dickie and Iris going from meeting at Ellis Island to suddenly having this unbridled passion for each other. I'm guessing they shot a three and a half hour movie and realized they needed to get it to two hours.

There were a couple of things that felt odd. The Silvio character felt like they just hired the guy who could do the best Silvio slouch and shrug. Vera Farmiga looked very much like a Carmela clone to the point it seemed intentional - as if they were trying to imply that Tony ends up marrying someone who reminds him of his mother. An interesting idea if so, but it was distracting, like every time Silvio was in a scene. And the pink swear at the funeral? That was silly and kind of predictable. As soon as I saw Dickie lying in the open casket with Tony gazing down at him, I knew they were going to do something cheesy.

It was an OK watch, but disappointing overall and I was left feeling, "Well I sure hope there's a follow up film . . . or do I?"
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

It asked more questions than it answered. It was a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. They should have done a limited series.

I remember looking at the time counter a few times and thinking, "how are they going to tie this into the broader Sopranos story?" Answer is that they didn't.

I kind of felt manipulated. There was no punch line to any of the stories they opened up.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
It asked more questions than it answered. It was a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. They should have done a limited series.

I remember looking at the time counter a few times and thinking, "how are they going to tie this into the broader Sopranos story?" Answer is that they didn't.

I kind of felt manipulated. There was no punch line to any of the stories they opened up.

A lot of it felt forced and truncated like they were trying make implications instead of tell a story. Like Dickie's uncle in the prison, who clearly was Hollywood's identical twin. It felt like that was a lazy device to say that as such, he had instinctual insight into what happened to his brother, and therefore Dickie himself.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

A lot of it felt forced and truncated like they were trying make implications instead of tell a story. Like Dickie's uncle in the prison, who clearly was Hollywood's identical twin. It felt like that was a lazy device to say that as such, he had instinctual insight into what happened to his brother, and therefore Dickie himself.

He was prob behind the whacking. Now we know it wasn't the retired cop and do know whodunnit. His back and Dickie laughing can't be the impetus, else it's all the more silly. They left the prison twin character suspiciously wide open. They did the twin gimmick with Philly and Patsy Parisi already, so I rolleyed when Liotta 2 pops up suddenly.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

He was prob behind the whacking. Now we know it wasn't the retired cop and do know whodunnit. His back and Dickie laughing can't be the impetus, else it's all the more silly. They left the prison twin character suspiciously wide open. They did the twin gimmick with Philly and Patsy Parisi already, so I rolleyed when Liotta 2 pops up suddenly.

I don't know man, that's pretty much Junior.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

I don't know man, that's pretty much Junior.

Sister's C! I hope it's not that damn linear or they shoulda stuck w/ the mystery of the cop or not. Jr doin that for THAT is dumb. Not sayin I know fer certain it's not just a Corrado moment, but I'm hoping they didn't F up a better whodunnit w/ some mystery (even expressed by Chrissy in said scene) for Dickie laughing at him slipping being the impetus. Maaaaa'donn'.... That epi was a less common excellent 1st/2nd epi. It's kinda like if you got a monster movie, don't show too much of it and utilize the unknown. It makes it easier to suspend disbelief. That's why I prefer the dark, muddy VHS version of An Amer Werewolf. Don't F with shadows and mystery.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

It's like an episode 4-7 using a series comparison. If there's a sequal, it'd better be a 10-13 epi.

That's a good way to put it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It was a perfect example of trying to do too much while actually doing very little. The production looked amazing and there were some interesting moments, but sometimes it felt a little too slick and over done.

There was nothing that sucked you in. It felt like episode one of a 12 episode first season, not a stand alone film or even a part one of a two parter. It was trying to set stuff up, but then rapidly accelerated what should be nunaced plot lines, like Dickie and Iris going from meeting at Ellis Island to suddenly having this unbridled passion for each other. I'm guessing they shot a three and a half hour movie and realized they needed to get it to two hours.

There were a couple of things that felt odd. The Silvio character felt like they just hired the guy who could do the best Silvio slouch and shrug. Vera Farmiga looked very much like a Carmela clone to the point it seemed intentional - as if they were trying to imply that Tony ends up marrying someone who reminds him of his mother. An interesting idea if so, but it was distracting, like every time Silvio was in a scene. And the pink swear at the funeral? That was silly and kind of predictable. As soon as I saw Dickie lying in the open casket with Tony gazing down at him, I knew they were going to do something cheesy.

It was an OK watch, but disappointing overall and I was left feeling, "Well I sure hope there's a follow up film . . . or do I?"

They had two hours to make me care and they spent WAY too much time focusing on a story about characters I could give a flying f' about. Seems like the younger versions of the characters we knew and loved were there as props. I had high hopes for this too.

Hack writers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: