LAKERS -vs- ROCKETS - 9/4 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- ROCKETS - 9/4 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Go Big or Go Home... What did the Lakers do with the time off?

This was really a poorly coached game.

The Lakers played into the hands of the Rockets and didn’t adjust anything with their offensive attack throughout the night. No using LeBron as a low post hub to get penetration via the pass/post. Vogel threw Rondo into the mix for the first time in forever, giving the team heavy minutes for heavy turnovers. There were only a handful of sequences where we got the ball to the bigs on the move via slip screens, weak-to-strong movement or using our vertical advantage for lobs. There was very little off ball cutting.

Defensively, they got smoked in the first half by going smaller and giving up dribble penetration to Harden who dropped 25 in the half. Their defense was very passive throughout the night. They had some success when they threw some aggressive traps, but that was very rare.

So the question is what did we do with the time off? Was this really the game plan? The same thing we’ve seen last time we’ve played the Rockets? No adjustments other than dusting Rondo off?

The Lakers have to play their size and they have to impose their size. If they don’t play big, play aggressive and use their size to their advantage, they will see more of the same results.

The game was lost between the third and fourth quarters when we rotated to our bench and they proceeded to get scorched on drives and easy scores. A close game slipped into a big double digit Rocket lead and the Lakers fell 112-97. But it might as well have been Iost in the past few days off as we looked ill-prepared for this matchup.

LeBron -- -- It didn’t seem like his brain was engaged in this one offensively. He had 13 points in the first half on 5-8 shooting to go with 6 assists. If he could get downhill it was trouble, but that wouldn’t happen with frequency. He scored an easy layup in transition (anytime we can push, we should...the Rockets can’t get set up and play even smaller when backpedalling). He’d have another nasty And-1 dunk over Westbrook in the restricted circle. Just one post-up in the first half where he score an And-1 layup. Why we didn’t milk this in the game, is puzzling. When LeBron did go to the post late in this game for one possession, we had Rondo out there trying to stretch the floor (and probably misused how AD should be playing in that situation...but we still got an AD three out of it!). But it was only a brief thought in this game. This is how you get penetration via the pass. Not by AD against single coverage in the post, but LeBron against it. He’s much stronger, much quicker and will draw attention. Some sloppy passing from LeBron in other situations. He had a flat-angle perimeter pass that was swiped for a dunk (he might have been expecting a screen to actually screen, but that was a bad pass. Some post entries where we hadn’t gotten a steal yet were also picked off. He didn’t score in the fourth and settled for jumpers. As he goes, we go offensively. Defensively, he seemed a little pissed, so we saw some great plays on that end. He ate up Westbrook with a rejection in transition where he controlled the ball with both hands. Some nice rotations, as well. Time to start playing chess. Tonight was just checkers out there. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 7-15 shooting (2-7 from three, 4-5 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 7 assists, 2 blocks, 4 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -15.

Davis -- -- He had no offensive boards in the first half and finished with just 2 on the game. They gave him credit for one that McGee tapped to him. The other, he finally imposed himself on a play late in the game to fight for a Rondo missed three and score an And-1. That’s what we need to see more of. We had just a +3 advantage on all rebounds in the first half. We were a -3 in the second half. We will lose this series if that holds up. We need to a have a double-digit advantage on the glass and be relentless in that area. We went to AD in the post against Harden a few times in that first half. He scored on a tough elbow turnaround, an easy step-through layup and then an easy face-up jumper over him on those. My favorite sequence was a slip screen on an off-ball switch where LeBron found him for a layup. I want to get AD the ball on the move like that against smaller defenders. Get him coming weak to strong. His length is too tough to deal with in those situations. We also let the Rockets slip around him to knock post entries away or front him or three-quarter front him to get him to move out of the paint. You won’t get the two-man game action like you normally will because the Rockets switch everything and we aren’t great at dealing with that. But slip screens are there in those situations. Next game I want more garbage man work on the glass and more of us in transition, turning stops into buckets. I’d also like to see him defensively playing a little more free safety when we blitz Harden in our smaller minutes when McGee sits. I don’t mind him switching, especially against Russ, who he can keep on the perimeter (or swat like he did early on to thwart a drive). The Stats: He scored 25 points on 10-16 shooting (1-2 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 14 boards (2 offensive), 1 assist, 3 steals, 3 blocks, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -6.

Green -- -- He started on Harden defensively with the two bigs behind him. We were a little late to sit him right after we pulled McGee and LeBron to rest and went smaller. But after giving up a few points, Vogel called a timeout and brought Caruso in for him then. Later, however, we’d bring Green back with our smaller AD at C lineup. That was trouble. McGee and Howard were the only players in the positive on the +/- in the first half with a +1 each. Green was a -5 because of those minutes without our bigger lineups keeping Harden from the paint. In the second half, he was a +2. One of our double teams, he was able to come up with a steal and take it for a dunk. He sank a couple of threes, one off a kickout from McGee. Anytime we get the ball in the middle of the paint to our bigs, good things should happen. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-12 shooting (2-7 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 block and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a -3.

McGee -- -- He was a +5. The only Laker to be positive in that stat. This is a series we need to break him out a little more than just a couple of stints. He and AD plug the paint and deter the thought of drives. Plus, he can switch onto guards and keep them on the perimeter better. There were sequences where Westbrook had to settle into midrange against him. He got a stop on him on iso on one end, then kept an offensive board alive to AD on the other for a score. He needs to impose himself more on the offensive glass, but he also didn’t get credit for that offensive board to AD. On the down side, his hands didn’t look great when we threw a couple passes to him. They were down low, which makes that trickier. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-2 shooting to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and no fouls in 13 minutes. He was a +5.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- He sank just one of his five threes and hit the side of the board on one of them. I think his game was more a result of our poor execution. If we can get pace in our favor, he’ll scratch out a couple buckets that way, but that wasn’t happening tonight. He had a couple drives off the three line, one for a score, one Houston got him to shoot a floater and miss. Rondo probably stole more minutes from AC than KCP tonight. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-8 shooting (1-5 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a -4.

Kuzma -- -- He couldn’t not guard the drive tonight. Defensively, we started him on Westbrook when he came off the bench. This is a tricky matchup because Westbrook is strong and fast and can muscle Kuzma a little bit. Later, we had him on Gordon and Kuzma was getting eaten up anytime he attacked. Gordon’s eyes got big late in the game and this matchup hurt us to start the fourth as we fell back by our largest margin at that point of the game (12). That killed us. Kuz ended up with the team-low -21. We’re better if we have him on Harden with a couple of bigs behind him. He can take away the shot and Harden won’t want to drive into that. Offensively, he had an off-ball cut late in the game he scored off of. That was one of just a handful of cuts by the team as a whole. In the first half, he got sat after airballing a three, then fouled on the defensive glass not getting in position. Another brain cramp, not taking an open three and instead dishing to an open Rondo. Just 2 rebounds for Kuzma. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-9 shooting (1-4 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist and 4 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a -21.

Caruso -- -- He took an intentional foul in transition to give up FTs, which was a mistake, but made worse when it was his third foul in the second quarter. This put him barely in the mix on the night, but we were also eager to give Rondo as many minutes as possible it seemed. We will need Caruso to step up offensively and he did tonight. He sank a couple of threes, got a couple transition scores. He’d finish with an efficient 14 points in 16 minutes. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 4-7 shooting (2-5 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards (both offensive), 4 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -2.

Howard -- -- Just 4 boards and only 1 offensive. We can’t have that from him. He also gave up that back up when he gave up an offensive board to the Rockets. We never found him for any lob action. When you don’t have penetration, it will be harder for him to score on some of those, but there are sequences where it’s a two-pass play that gets him the lob just planting himself in the dunker spot and waiting. Defensively, if we’ve got just one big out there, I’d prefer some more aggressive trapping. Because he can’t defend guards as well as McGee on switches, it can become an issue. He gave up a three to Rivers on an iso. The Stats: He scored 1 points on 0-1 shooting (1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 1 steal and 2 fouls in 11 minutes. He was a -8.

Waiters -- -- We threw him in the mix with 4 minutes left. He missed a couple threes and a midrange jumper. He had a nice (rare for us) attack off the dribble for FTs. I’d like to see him a little more defensively to see if his strength can help against some of those stronger Rocket guards. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-3 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 1 block and 1 foul in 5 minutes. He was a -1.

Morris -- -- Not much action from him. He was a -10 in 9 minutes. I think the Rockets just enjoyed our smaller lineups and attacked. Floor spacing bigs aren’t as big a deal in this one if we aren’t able to collapse the D to begin with because of the switching and sagging. But I could see LeBron making that work. Unfortunately, our D needs to figure it out first. Maybe you see if he can contain Westbrook like some of our other bigs did. Look at the stat line, though, tonight. None of the little things. No boards, no steals, blocks (he did have a good challenge), but where’s the contribution? The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-1 shooting from three to go with no other stats in 9 minutes. He was a -10.

Rondo -- -- So 25 minutes, eh? The team had 15 turnovers and Rondo had 4. He came in for LeBron in the first quarter, they went under screens and left him open for a 16-footer on the first possession and he bricked. He threw a pass away on the next possession. He’d later sink an open three and he had a nice defensive board, he turned into a pushout and layup the other way. But he’d also throw another bounce pass away that led to a transition score. So, the sloppy play hurt. Vogel brought up the teams turnovers in the first half. In the second half, Rondo coughed up the ball on a drive, getting it poked away from behind. Then on the defensive end, he gave up a drive that led to AC’s fifth foul and an And-1. That was a big foul. So while AC shouldn’t have gotten into foul trouble, Rondo helped put him there, too. You could also give Rondo another turnover when they were able to blindside AD with Rondo trying to space the floor strongside for AD. Why are you over there? Clear out. They left him and took it from AD. He would go 2-5 from three, but the Rockets will take that if they can sag off and cause problems. You’ve got 8-11 minutes minutes when LeBron is off the floor. That should be the window of even thinking of using Rondo in his first game back. That’s it. So Rondo had 25 minutes and AC 16. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-9 shooting (2-5 from three) to go with 3 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 1 foul in 25 minutes. He was a -10.

Dudley -- -- He came in for the garbage time and threw a pass away. The Stats: He didn’t shoot, had 1 turnover and 1 foul in 3 minutes. He was a +0.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The first few minutes of the fourth buried the Lakers. We started the fourth with Dwight, Morris, LeBron, Kuzma and Rondo. AC’s foul trouble coming to play here a bit. But we gave up a 10-0 run and that took the life out of the team. They didn’t even seem like they wanted to continue to play because they didn’t really know how to attack the Rockets. You kept thinking, maybe, maybe, we’d be saving something like LeBron in the post for the later in the game or the second half, but we had no adjustments up our sleeves on either end of the floor in that second half.

Key Substitution: Obviously, giving Rondo a lot of minutes was an issue and Kuzma didn’t play well. But the problem with those lineups was we would just get worked anytime we just went with one big. The Rockets attacked and we had no anchoring. We gave Harden 25 points in the first half because of this.

Key Stat: The 41-41 tie on the rebounding. Are you kidding me, Lakers? The Rockets lose anytime they give up a rebound difference of 13 or more. If it’s 8 or less, it favors them. If it’s even? You deserve the loss and they deserve the W.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Smh, a lots of mistakes and I don’t like the Lakers’s energy in this one. After all it will come to who wants it more imo.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Question for you:

There's been alot of back and forth in the in game thread re how to attack the new look rockets. Some believe "go small" to match their speed. Some want us to use size. I see you are in the size camp.

I have been in the size camp but so far in 3 games v Rockets when its been used results have been mixed; and I'm not in the "go small" camp because I do not believe we have the small ball talent the Rockets do.

Are the Rockets just a bad matchup for the Lakers ever since they chose to go "wanna be warrior death lineup"?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject:

1311176 wrote:
Smh, a lots of mistakes and I don’t like the Lakers’s energy in this one. After all it will come to who wants it more imo.

Truth here - I think it was the third when game was still in balance, I think score was like 76-73 or somesuch...I think there was an approximate 10 possession time where Lakers either missed easy looks or turned the ball over several times and did not score. That was probably the game as that is usually when they make a push in games like these.

And oh yea, less Rondo please. As in, like, ALOT less.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject:

We won our two big lineups tonight. A +6 with those and a -21 with our other lineups.

Just look at Kuz's +/-. He comes in when we go small. He would not get torched like he did, either, if he had that big lineup behind him. He could sit on the jumpers and funnel to our anchors.

Offensively, we didn't take advantage of our vertical threats and our guys were piss poor on the boards. Even still, we outplayed them when we were at our biggest.

If we try to compete with them in small ball, you can see that's when their eyes light up and they lick their chops. Certainly, we could do a better job trapping and blitzing to make the smaller lineups work better, but they have been uncomfortable against our big lineups. We just stay with our usual rotations and then they torch us when we go small.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why Rondo who hasn't played a game since March got 25 minutes tonight.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Crappy game, but good analysis as always.

I can't believe Rondo got 25 minutes on his first game back.

Small ball against the Rockets is so Luke Walton. (bleep).
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Before the game Vogel was quoted as saying

Per McTen

Vogel says no minutes restriction for Rondo but said they will be intelligent with his work load and treat it somewhat like a rehab assignment.

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1302024673174192129?s=21

I don’t feel like that’s what I saw. It felt to me like let’s put him out there and see what happens. It seemed like he was out there for quite some time under the “he’ll figure it out” method. Yeah that game was frustrating. Anyway tired of dropping game ones but oh well onto the next.

Thanks DB
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject:

This seemed like one of those experimental line up games we used during the early bubble days. Low energy, mixed up defensive rotations, perimeter bricking.

The Lakers only need to see what's happening to the Bucks and bring the proper focus. Or else...
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject:

Way too much Rondo especially for a first game back. I know he’s a vet, but 10 mins + garbage time would have been all I would have provided to him at best.

AD played very passive and didn’t take it right to them as much as I’d like.

Nobody cut or made the extra pass.

Shots weren’t going down as well.

That benchrifiic lineup on the floor was awful.

Also, what’s up with the Lakers giving away first games? That just makes the series harder. I can only hope this is a repeat of the winning outcome of the last series.

I expected more out of a championship contending team.

Instead we gave those midgets all the extra motivation possible.

Bye.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject:

Fire Vogel for playing rondo so many Minutes and AD is soft as charmin. series set match.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject:

Let's just hope this loss works as a wakeup call.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject:

I woke up and I'm still pissed about this one.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

The Lakers ignored their size advantage. Time and again AD and LeBron were being fed the ball far, far from the basket and it wasn't because they had a lane or open shot. Offensive confusion prevailed; the only reason you'd want Rondo out there would be to run the offense, guide and pass into the low post. That didn't happen, he should have been pulled. The team surrendered size, position, aggression and pace. They deserved to lose.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
We won our two big lineups tonight. A +6 with those and a -21 with our other lineups.

I think a lot of people would have expected us to be better than +6 with the big lineups. The Rockets create unusual matchup problems and are not as vulnerable to big lineups as you might expect. We adjusted after Game 1 vs. Portland, and I expect that we'll adjust against the Rockets. But anyone who thought this was going to be a cakewalk just got a wakeup call.
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/halfcourthoops/status/1300868165359087618?s=21
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

Gile
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

In 3 games against Lakers since Capela trade, Rockets attempted 42 (made 19, 45%), 57 (made 21, 36.8%), 39 (made 14, 35.9%).

Lakers made 22 3 pointers... in 3 games.

FG% for Rockets: 50.6%, 44.9% and 48.1%
FG% for Lakers: 49.5%, 44.9% and 42.2%

FG% for Rockets is basically the same against Lakers or any other team. For us, we are significantly worse against Rockets compared to our average FG% (around 48~).
Rockets have their style (3pointer or shot at the rim) and they are sticking to it. We cannot stop both of them. Go big and you get exposed at 3 point range. Go small and you give a layup at the rim. Unless we miraculously discover our 3 point stroke (hello mr Green), we are in big trouble. I doubt we will see a matchup against Clippers this year
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

AH - The differential is pretty big and our big lineups didn’t play a lot of minutes because we kept to our usual rotations. We got smoked playing small.

Our defensive scheme with those smaller units could certainly use improvement. More trapping and blitzing, less sitting on the shoulder and ushering them to an open lane for easy scores. Much less Rondo (@@$@!). But we are massively prone to giving up wide open lanes or easy open shots. This is what the Rockets live for. When we go big, we can sit on the perimeter shot, challenge that better on the perimeter and not get toasted again and again with ease.

What’s disturbing to me, though, is we knew this all but played the Rockets the same despite seeing it fail previously. Our big adjustment in this game was playing a guy big minutes who hasn’t been in a game in March and expecting that to work well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I don't understand why Rondo who hasn't played a game since March got 25 minutes tonight.

No one does.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
What’s disturbing to me, though, is we knew this all but played the Rockets the same despite seeing it fail previously. Our big adjustment in this game was playing a guy big minutes who hasn’t been in a game in March and expecting that to work well.

EXACTLY.

Everyone who's not living inside a cave for the last years knows how Houston plays basketball.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1302284904504455168?s=21

Something to keep in mind regarding small vs. big lineups.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

I was in a bit of denial in the first half of the game last night. I’m like, okay, we are probably holding on to some of our adjustments (stuff I mention above) until the second half to throw the Rockets off game and to try to close strong. Sometimes you will see a player do that. Test something out early and put it in the back pocket for later. Or a coach only run certain stuff in the fourth quarter. I’ve been in Vogel’s corner all season, but last night was a big yikes. First game of the Portland series you could see the plan and just needed guys to hit open shots. This one is not the same. They will need to make multiple changes. Certainly doable. But after the first 13 or so minutes of this next game, we’ll know. Still curious what we were doing for the past week.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1302284904504455168?s=21

Something to keep in mind regarding small vs. big lineups.

Yeah, seems counterintuitive because you are normally thinking small lineup gives you more spacing, but that’s because you pull an opposing big out of the paint. This isn’t a traditional lineup we are facing, so that doesn’t apply. The Rockets have to stay tight on bigs around the rim as lob threats. You can’t give up a foot or two of space when you have such a difference in standing reach around the rim.

Interesting that he was able to predict 88% packed paint with the small ball lineup. Just goes to show we really stuck to the previous game plans and even made no adjustments with our small lineups which have struggled against the Rockets.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I’ve been in Vogel’s corner all season, but last night was a big yikes. First game of the Portland series you could see the plan and just needed guys to hit open shots. This one is not the same. They will need to make multiple changes. Certainly doable. But after the first 13 or so minutes of this next game, we’ll know. Still curious what we were doing for the past week.

DB, this is what scares me for this series.

I don’t get the feeling that there is a plan or there is a lot of confusion which like you said big yikes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: