Singers Helen Reddy & Mac Davis Die at 78, Hours Apart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Singers Helen Reddy & Mac Davis Die at 78, Hours Apart

Quote:
Popular singers Helen Reddy and Mac Davis, both 78, died Tuesday just hours apart.

The crooners had similar career trajectories, including earning their first #1 hits ("I Am Woman" for Reddy, "Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me" for Davis) in 1972 before branching out into acting. Reddy twice appeared on his "The Mac Davis Show" series, in 1974 and 1975, during one visit singing his song "I Believe in Music." She had been the first to record the tune, in 1972, which became the B-side of her first U.S. hit.

Helen Reddy's death was confirmed in a statement from her daughters that read, "It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved mother, Helen Reddy, on the afternoon of September 29th 2020 in Los Angeles. She was a wonderful Mother, Grandmother and a truly formidable woman. Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever."

No cause was specified, though Reddy had battled dementia since 2015 and had been residing at the Motion Picture Retirement Home in L.A

link

RIP 1970's pop icons
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject:

Were her last words, "Mac Davis survives?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Were her last words, "Mac Davis survives?"

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

RIP. I haven't heard that song in decades but just hearing her name brings it right back.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

So many people die from dementia. RIP

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I can't tell you how many times I have read "singers" as "sisters" for some reason, which totally changes things in a weird way - no offense to the deceased.

I remember the days when the variety shows like Mac Davis's were common fare.

RIP to the both of them.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Wow, RIP both of them. My family was pretty slow on the popular music bandwagon, if it wasn't on KLAC country music or Elvis, they didn't play it. About 1974 my family bought its first and only 8-track player (we had one in the huge station wagon too), and they started branching out a little bit. Both Mac Davis and Helen Reddy were within the first 8-track albums they ever purchased. Sure was happy when Cassettes became available!

The Mac Davis album we had was called "(If you) add all the love in the world" and the Helen Reddy 8track was "That ain't no way to treat a lady."

Mac did a fair amount of stuff with Elvis and even did some work with the electronica band Avicii.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: