Xmas start ( Draft 11/18, Free Agency 11/20, Camp 12/1, Games 12/22, GSW testing for fans )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Xmas start

rokobe81 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
drae wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30174755/nba-schedule-debate-pros-cons-christmas-day-start

With fewer games.

Good or bad for us?

I think good. Keep the regular season short.

I'm not sure but I also don't think it's happening. A few players (Josh Hart included) tweeted months ago a December start date "wasn't happening" so it's one thing to want this but it's another to get the players to agree

I don't see the owners floating it without running it by the players a little.

Remember a 72 game season is a concession. Also, doing this lets the international players get to the Olympics, and so ALL those guys want this over in June, 21.

Season is ending in August. They aren't stopping for the Olympics. Only players who don't make the playoffs will be able to make the Olympics.

That is not true. They are ending before the Olympics. I don't think it's because they want to give the players the chance to play, but because they don't want to compete with the Olympics for ratings. That would be an even bigger disaster than this year.

I was reading the Bobby Marks comments....apparently he was talking about an 82 game season ending in August so that it wouldn't conflict with football....so I guess the 72 game season was to allow the season to end much earlier. I know Adam Silver previously said they wouldn't stop for the Olympics but that was based on the previous schedule of an 82 game season. So on that you are correct, the season would end before the Olympics.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a little premature.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Curious if a shortened season also has prorated salaries?
rokobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Xmas start

lakersken80 wrote:
rokobe81 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
drae wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30174755/nba-schedule-debate-pros-cons-christmas-day-start

With fewer games.

Good or bad for us?

I'm not sure but I also don't think it's happening. A few players (Josh Hart included) tweeted months ago a December start date "wasn't happening" so it's one thing to want this but it's another to get the players to agree

Remember a 72 game season is a concession. Also, doing this lets the international players get to the Olympics, and so ALL those guys want this over in June, 21.

Season is ending in August. They aren't stopping for the Olympics. Only players who don't make the playoffs will be able to make the Olympics.

That is not true. They are ending before the Olympics. I don't think it's because they want to give the players the chance to play, but because they don't want to compete with the Olympics for ratings. That would be an even bigger disaster than this year.

I was reading the Bobby Marks comments....apparently he was talking about an 82 game season ending in August so that it wouldn't conflict with football....so I guess the 72 game season was to allow the season to end much earlier. I know Adam Silver previously said they wouldn't stop for the Olympics but that was based on the previous schedule of an 82 game season. So on that you are correct, the season would end before the Olympics.

I think Silver made those comments before the disastrous ratings in the Finals.
This season was a good exercise, to see the NBA ratings if the season would start later. Now that they know, I don't think we will ever see again an NBA game in August.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Lakers doesn't have to play as hard as last regular season. We already have the championship experience and will have the chemistry of the team together for 2nd season. Remember Shaq-Kobe 2000-01 team went 56-26 in regular season and then 16-1 in the playoffs. Lakers were 2nd in the West behind Spurs. That was a significant regular season dropoff from 67-15 Lakers in 1999-00. Given Bron's age, we are likely to rest him more next season and drop the intensity a bit in the regular season. Clippers will try hard in regular season this time. Doubt GSW will go all in given all the injuries they had. They will probably aim for 3rd seed in the West.
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Lakers doesn't have to play as hard as last regular season. We already have the championship experience and will have the chemistry of the team together for 2nd season. Remember Shaq-Kobe 2000-01 team went 56-26 in regular season and then 16-1 in the playoffs. Lakers were 2nd in the West behind Spurs. That was a significant regular season dropoff from 67-15 Lakers in 1999-00. Given Bron's age, we are likely to rest him more next season and drop the intensity a bit in the regular season. Clippers will try hard in regular season this time. Doubt GSW will go all in given all the injuries they had. They will probably aim for 3rd seed in the West.

Agree. They will shoot for a 2/3 seed most likely utilizing depth and youth (if possible) and experiment with numerous lineups. Especially if guys like THT and Waiters are back. They will get a lot of run to show they can help playoff time. James will want to play because you know he wants that MVP but the FO needs to convince him the importance of resting for playoffs
Lakerlover89
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Way too early...
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Seems too soon. Especially considering Silver stated the nba would wait if it meant a higher likelihood of fans in the stands.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject:

The fan in me likes it (because BASKETBALL!), but feel that its too soon physically for this Lakers team.

THT suddenly becomes more important to this team.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject:

Just make it a long preseason beginning Dec 22 so the league gets revenue from the Christmas games but have the actual season begin 3-4 weeks later
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:
Way too early for us. They should start MLK day.

This is what I was thinking. Figure:

(a) A 50-game season, so long enough to be meaningful but not a full 82-grind given the weirdness of this season.
(b) Playoffs starting in May and end in July, so maybe a month behind usual schedule, and make it easier to return to normal timing in 2021-22.
(c) Players and team personnel get to spend holidays with their families after all this craziness.
(d) Start the season on MLK Day and use it to springboard renewed social justice efforts that the players universally support.

A regular season with less of 70 games will invalidate all local TV contracts.
Never ever.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Sounds a little optimistic doesn't it? Even a few more weeks would do wonders for putting a little separation between this season and next. Draft, free agency, training camp in 2 months? No pre-season?

Yes, and no all-star week.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Xmas start

lakersken80 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
drae wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

With fewer games.

Good or bad for us?

Not at all, it is ending in mid June.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
When they discussed the bubble plan for last season, getting every team to 72 locally televised games was needed in order to meet contract minimums. With the attendance revenue being uncertain, it’s not a bad idea to make try and save the TV deals.

There will not be any attendance for all the season, so it is mandatory to save TV contracts.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Seems too soon. Especially considering Silver stated the nba would wait if it meant a higher likelihood of fans in the stands.

Now you know there will be no attendance for all season, so waiting for it is completely pointless.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject:

Only 2 months of rest. Not good for us. LeBron must rest in several b2b games and against bad teams. And I hope that he renounces to go to the Olympics.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

Lets be realistic, anything longer then another 30 game sprint to the championship is going to be a problem for the Lakers and James.

The rest of the league is concerned with making a profit, not whether James (or Leonard) and the Lakers get enough rest. It is a business and the owners and players want to make some money promoting that business.

It has been mentioned that there are TV contract thresholds, meet them or lose more money. Does anyone know if the players are under the same pressure?

If they play 50, 70, or 82 games are their paychecks affected? Getting a 25% (or more?) reduced salary may not mean much to the players making $20m a year, for those on vet minimum contracts it might make a huge difference.

As much as we love our "sport" we have to remember it is a "business" first. Every franchise and the support personnel from arena workers, suppliers, etc have felt the ripple effect of the loss of revenue. They don't play and the industry suffers even more with the ripple effect even more widespread.

Tough decisions are going to be made and someone is going to be unhappy. Just like the rest of the country. Not possible to make everyone happy.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
It's terrible for us. I was thinking of a 41-game half season. 72 games is almost like a full season. The hiatus due to the pandemic played a role in getting our veteran players namely Lebron much needed rest. The more games we play during the regular season, the worse it is us since we're gonna make the playoffs anyways, playing more regular games would only tire our key players more.

Feels too early for me.

The pandemic has made one thing pretty clear when it comes to the NBA, there is absolutely no need for an 82 game season or even a 72 game season other than money. It is too long and as a result you have way too many low effort, bad games.

Put it at 50 games or so with some decent rest in between the games and you would see a better product with more regular season games that actually matter.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
It's terrible for us. I was thinking of a 41-game half season. 72 games is almost like a full season. The hiatus due to the pandemic played a role in getting our veteran players namely Lebron much needed rest. The more games we play during the regular season, the worse it is us since we're gonna make the playoffs anyways, playing more regular games would only tire our key players more.

Feels too early for me.

The pandemic has made one thing pretty clear when it comes to the NBA, there is absolutely no need for an 82 game season or even a 72 game season other than money. It is too long and as a result you have way too many low effort, bad games.

Put it at 50 games or so with some decent rest in between the games and you would see a better product with more regular season games that actually matter.

Whatever they are able to pull off will be appreciated as a fan.

But I think it is a mistake to underestimate how much the money drives these decisions. In your 50 game proposal. Think of the ripple effect of the a 30% reduction for owners and players just for the one detail of less games played.

The surrounding economies are already devastated. The arena's employees losing entertainment revenue, local tax revenues undermined are just a couple issues.

Owners like Balmer don't care about the lost TV money, but the Buss family might. Max players like James or Davis may "feel" the loss of $12M but what about those players on vet min or rookie contracts going from $1.5m to $1M for a rookie or $3M to $2m for a vet min? Families and agents may have an opinion too.

As fans we keep expecting players to except team friendly deals. How much does this reduced schedule effect their decisions to accept a vet min when they might be losing 30% in their paychecks due to a season reduction.

I'm assuming this will need to be negotiated into the season reduction and loss of league revenue. Can't imagine the players will be getting full paychecks. Hell of a deal if they can!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
When they discussed the bubble plan for last season, getting every team to 72 locally televised games was needed in order to meet contract minimums. With the attendance revenue being uncertain, it’s not a bad idea to make try and save the TV deals.

It is imperative that they play 72 games, that isn’t negotiable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Just make it a long preseason beginning Dec 22 so the league gets revenue from the Christmas games but have the actual season begin 3-4 weeks later

The TV contract is for regular season games, not preseason. Teams would lose revenue. It seems that some fail to understand that finances are driving these decisions, not what is best for the Lakers. The season will likely reflect this NFL season, half the team questionable every game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Lets be realistic, anything longer then another 30 game sprint to the championship is going to be a problem for the Lakers and James.

The rest of the league is concerned with making a profit, not whether James (or Leonard) and the Lakers get enough rest. It is a business and the owners and players want to make some money promoting that business.

It has been mentioned that there are TV contract thresholds, meet them or lose more money. Does anyone know if the players are under the same pressure?

If they play 50, 70, or 82 games are their paychecks affected? Getting a 25% (or more?) reduced salary may not mean much to the players making $20m a year, for those on vet minimum contracts it might make a huge difference.

As much as we love our "sport" we have to remember it is a "business" first. Every franchise and the support personnel from arena workers, suppliers, etc have felt the ripple effect of the loss of revenue. They don't play and the industry suffers even more with the ripple effect even more widespread.

Tough decisions are going to be made and someone is going to be unhappy. Just like the rest of the country. Not possible to make everyone happy.

The players get 49% of basketball related income, so if teams don’t get their full TV money and income is down, the players give money back to the owners. They were paying salary into the escrow account at the end of last season and it is proposed that they do next season. Lebron is one of the players who got his salary at the beginning of last season and when next season begins, he will pay escrow payments for last season and next season.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:

The TV contract is for regular season games, not preseason. Teams would lose revenue. It seems that some fail to understand that finances are driving these decisions, not what is best for the Lakers. The season will likely reflect this NFL season, half the team questionable every game.

You mean to tell me no one's gonna make any money if the NBA decides to air preseason games on Christmas day? Those TV ads gonna be free?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
3baller wrote:

You mean to tell me no one's gonna make any money if the NBA decides to air preseason games on Christmas day? Those TV ads gonna be free?

If there isn’t 72 games played then teams will lose money.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Deleted: found better site

Last edited by drae on Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: