Lakers To Target Serge Ibaka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject:

MLE isn't the only route to landing Ibaka. We have tradable pieces that could bring him in. The trick would be using the pick before free agency 'begins' if that was the sweetener.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
MLE isn't the only route to landing Ibaka. We have tradable pieces that could bring him in. The trick would be using the pick before free agency 'begins' if that was the sweetener.

I'm guessing that would start with Toronto understanding that Ibaka plans on taking the MLE with LA, but can pick the player at 28 if they take McGee and Cook in exchange for preserving the MLE.

That or we may not even have the full MLE if Rondo and KCP still come back. You'd have say Harkless for the lower MLE, maybe Howard for the BAE. That or maybe Morris or another PF with the BAE if Green/Kuz are dealt. I like the depth for load management with Green playing some 3 and Harkless some 4.

Bradley?/Rondo/THT
KCP/Green/Caruso
James/Harkless
Davis/Kuzma
Ibaka/Howard/Cousins?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I'd imagine Serge would want to play for a contender. Are there any that would be able to offer more than the MLE?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors could offer up to $17 mil.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The plot thickens.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The plot thickens.

One less contender to resign Dwight. I think We have a counter for that Dubs overpay.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Warriors are likely drafting Wiseman if he falls to them so I don't know why they'd want Ibaka.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Warriors are likely drafting Wiseman if he falls to them so I don't know why they'd want Ibaka.

He's not a great fit on paper but it's not like he's unplayable. With Wiseman, Green, and Ibaka you have three guys mostly limited to playing PF/C... certainly you'd need one of them to buy into a Iguodola "6th man off the bench" role. Iguodola accepted that role at age 31 - guess how old Ibaka is now?

I mean, I hope like hell he doesn't go to GS, I just wouldn't rule them out as a threat.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
I'm guessing that would start with Toronto understanding that Ibaka plans on taking the MLE with LA, but can pick the player at 28 if they take McGee and Cook in exchange for preserving the MLE.

True, but if I'm Toronto -- a real contender -- I'm not in a hurry to help the reigning champion add a piece. I think I'd rather let Ibaka walk for nothing at that point.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Getting DeMar via DG/Kuz hurts shooting but if we can replace McGee with Serge, we've replaced that shooting. In an ideal world, Harkless takes BAE and Dwight signs for the minimum. Then maybe there's a trade out there McGee/Cook/28th.

But if Bradley opts out, things change quickly and the MLE has to go (at least in part) to getting pg help... regardless of a DeMar trade or not

Not necessrily. We could sign Rondo using his Bird rights and still use the MLE if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure it's this at guard next year:

Bradley OR Rondo, Caruso
KCP, THT

And, if we keep pick 28, I think it will be another guard to throrw into the mix. I can live with that. It's the frontcourt that has more questions.

Maybe, in the frontcourt, we deal Kuz, Green and the pick for a guy like Oladiop or Lavine (not DD), but that's probably not likely. So, here is the likeliest of outcomes:

We keep Green, Kuzma. We sign Bertans or Ibaka. We sign Tristan Thompson OR Dwight.

Roster:

Bradley OR Rondo, Caruso, 28TH pick
KCP, THT
Green, Kuzma
LeBron, Bertans OR Ibaka
AD, McGee, Dwight OR Thompson

That leaves one spot for 13, maybe if we're lucky for a guy like Harkless. I can roll with this team no problem...

Last edited by ericp6387 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Ibaka is not a guy I had on my radar at all for the Lakers.

I do think he is a good player and could help, but personally I would not sign him if it means we lose Dwight as Dwight was fantastic last season and we have other guys who can do what Ibaka does but we don't have anyone else who can do what Dwight did last year.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I have become a big D12 guy, I thought he was great for us last season in every way.

I really disagree with you here. Ibaka is a pretty good defensive player and has great touch for a guy his size. His versatility and all-around game is very hard to come by. Who can "do what Ibaka does"? McGee/Howard/etc can't provide spacing.

Dwight is good but he is very one-dimensional. At times in the playoffs he was barely playable. For example, in Games 4/5/6 in the Finals, he played a combined 24 minutes (8 min/game). He played 15 minutes total in the Houston series. Traditional centers (i.e. ones that can't shoot from the perimeter) don't have a lot of value in the modern NBA. Even if they let Dwight walk, I think they can find a replacement at a vet min price. Think someone like Nerlens Noel. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a dropoff, I'm just throwing out a random name to illustrate that there are a decent vet min centers out there.

Dwight is a great story but his value is a little exaggerated I think. That's very hard to even dispute when you look at his playing time in the playoffs. That said, I don't even think Ibaka is realistic. If he actually plays for the MLE that'd be amazing but I'm not really holding my breath.
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
here he go again
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Via trade exception.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Because maybe they know that relying on a rookie when you are trying to win a title isn’t the best approach?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject:

LeBronsPregameChalk wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

True, but if I'm Toronto -- a real contender -- I'm not in a hurry to help the reigning champion add a piece. I think I'd rather let Ibaka walk for nothing at that point.

Let him walk or take McGee and Cook? Walk away.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Getting DeMar via DG/Kuz hurts shooting but if we can replace McGee with Serge, we've replaced that shooting. In an ideal world, Harkless takes BAE and Dwight signs for the minimum. Then maybe there's a trade out there McGee/Cook/28th.

But if Bradley opts out, things change quickly and the MLE has to go (at least in part) to getting pg help... regardless of a DeMar trade or not

Not necessrily. We could sign Rondo using his Bird rights and still use the MLE if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure it's this at guard next year:

Bradley OR Rondo, Caruso
KCP, THT

And, if we keep pick 28, I think it will be another guard to throrw into the mix. I can live with that. It's the frontcourt that has more questions.

Maybe, in the frontcourt, we deal Kuz, Green and the pick for a guy like Oladiop or Lavine (not DD), but that's probably not likely. So, here is the likeliest of outcomes:

We keep Green, Kuzma. We sign Bertans or Ibaka. We sign Tristan Thompson OR Dwight.

Roster:

KCP, THT
Green, Kuzma
LeBron, Bertans OR Ibaka

That leaves one spot for 13, maybe if we're lucky for a guy like Harkless. I can roll with this team no problem...

Waiters?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

If we pick up DDR our need for a pg isn't that great. The ball will be in LBJ or DDR's hands. The next logical move after DDR would be sign Serge/Gallinari or a shooter. A backup pg would be nice but is lower on the to do list
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Bradley OR Rondo, Caruso
KCP, THT

Roster:

KCP, THT
Green, Kuzma
LeBron, Bertans OR Ibaka

Waiters?

Sure, why not?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You sure about that? From October 2020 Forbes Article:
Quote:
Just with the contracts they have on the books next year, including the second pick in the 2020 Draft, the Warriors will be paying around $157.5m in player salaries. That is $25m over the luxury tax threshold, meaning a tax bill of around $63.75m, and a total payroll and tax bill of $221.25m

Quote:
But a contending team will come at a price. The biggest tool the Warriors have at their disposal to add talent who can help win now is the $17.2m traded player exception (TPE) they received for Andre Iguodala. Ordinarily, the Warriors would be expected to leave no stone unturned in a chase for a championship ring. But with the finances of the league uncertain, and the Warriors facing eye-watering luxury tax bills and a potentially empty Chase Center next season, these are not ordinary times.

I'm not so sure paying all that tax to add Serge will be worth it for them but we shall see.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You sure about that? From October 2020 Forbes Article:
Quote:
Just with the contracts they have on the books next year, including the second pick in the 2020 Draft, the Warriors will be paying around $157.5m in player salaries. That is $25m over the luxury tax threshold, meaning a tax bill of around $63.75m, and a total payroll and tax bill of $221.25m

Quote:
But a contending team will come at a price. The biggest tool the Warriors have at their disposal to add talent who can help win now is the $17.2m traded player exception (TPE) they received for Andre Iguodala. Ordinarily, the Warriors would be expected to leave no stone unturned in a chase for a championship ring. But with the finances of the league uncertain, and the Warriors facing eye-watering luxury tax bills and a potentially empty Chase Center next season, these are not ordinary times.

I'm not so sure paying all that tax to add Serge will be worth it for them but we shall see.

The tax is decreased this season by the same percentage as BRI decreases, estimated to be 30%. As a result they have said using the TPE is a possibility. And the original question was what contender can pay more than the MLE. They can pay more than the MLE.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I’m almost sure that the deal for Ibaka is already made and now we’re just waiting for FA to officially “start”. Just like every year.

I’m just curious on how much it’s going to be, if it’s the full MLE or not.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
I’m almost sure that the deal for Ibaka is already made and now we’re just waiting for FA to officially “start”. Just like every year.

I’m just curious on how much it’s going to be, if it’s the full MLE or not.

Deal from what team? Lakers? Warrriors?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Yeah, the idea of trading Ibaka for Toronto starts with their knowing he is leaving either way.

You get hard capped at the apron by bringing in a guy via S&T same as using the Full MLE. So if they did trade for Ibaka, I would expect they also use the MLE. If you did something like one of Bradley/McGee, Cook and #28 for Ibaka, they could still use the MLE, BAE, and potentially move Green/Kuzma and the other of McGee/Bradley to bring in another player.

All of that probably costs you KCP though.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject:

It's still weird that he just started following the Lakers on Twitter and when somebody noticed it he removed it.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
It's still weird that he just started following the Lakers on Twitter and when somebody noticed it he removed it.

On one hand, it is odd, and definitely counts as circumstantial evidence.

On the other hand, I swear I've seen the "[insert player here] started to follow [insert new team here]" played out 10,000 times over the past three offseasons, and 99% of the time it has no correlation to where they actually end up signing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: