DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dennis might sign a 1 year $20M deal with the Knicks.
The Knicks might do it, cuz they really want to preserve cap space for next year. And they need to field a decent team cuz Knicks fans are not gonna like missing the playoffs after getting a taste of it last year. But the available PGs this year aren't going to sign for a 1 year deal.

Now if he's willing to sign a 1 year 20 million deal with the Knicks then why would he be unwilling to sign a 1 year 21 (or 22 or 23) million deal with us?

Reports are Lakers don't want him back. And I doubt he wants to come off the bench. Westbrook just stole his job.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
epic_ wrote:
The Knicks might do it, cuz they really want to preserve cap space for next year. And they need to field a decent team cuz Knicks fans are not gonna like missing the playoffs after getting a taste of it last year. But the available PGs this year aren't going to sign for a 1 year deal.

Now if he's willing to sign a 1 year 20 million deal with the Knicks then why would he be unwilling to sign a 1 year 21 (or 22 or 23) million deal with us?

Reports are Lakers don't want him back. And I doubt he wants to come off the bench.

I don't want him back either for a long term deal, but we're talking about 1 year here, and if it's 1 year, the Lakers can beat any offer the Knicks put on the table. It would be absolutely foolish for the Lakers to not do so and lose his asset value for nothing.
Now you can say he will reject the Lakers' offer since he doesn't want to come off the bench. However money does talk, and for an extra $ 5 million, who knows.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
If we sign and trade Dennis, doesn't that trigger our hard cap?

If that's the case, I think we just let him walk or trade him only for the trade exception.

Only if the incoming player is S&T.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

#SignButLeaveD17
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Might have had one of the most unlikeable seasons for a new player in years.

Right from the beginning all the way to the end. It’s too bad… because it’s always usually a good thing to have a starting/rotation type player from overseas… but usually those players are drama free and good in the room.

Which he obviously is not.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Might have had one of the most unlikeable seasons for a new player in years.

Right from the beginning all the way to the end. It’s too bad… because it’s always usually a good thing to have a starting/rotation type player from overseas… but usually those players are drama free and good in the room.

Which he obviously is not.

The thing is, he’s never been a good starting guard. He’s always thrived off the bench, and ONLY off the bench. He was a mediocre player on the Hawks, mediocre on OKC until he embraced being a 6th man, had the best year of his career, and then his ego decided to try to write checks that his skills cannot cash.

Decided that he’s now “done coming off the bench”. Has his usual mediocre year like his time with the Hawks, and still thinks he’s a 30 mill per year player.

The outgoing players like Kuzma, Harrell and KCP, I wish all the good luck in the world. Schroder however, is a special case of “get out of here and never come back”. He will NOT be missed. His 0-9 Game 5 performance was the final nail to that coffin.

Last edited by Megaton on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

He was more effective playing with CP3 and SGA than he was starting for us.
If we signed him for an off the bench role I am fine with that as talent is talent and we lost Kuz off the bench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
32 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Reports are Lakers don't want him back. And I doubt he wants to come off the bench.

I don't want him back either for a long term deal, but we're talking about 1 year here, and if it's 1 year, the Lakers can beat any offer the Knicks put on the table. It would be absolutely foolish for the Lakers to not do so and lose his asset value for nothing.
Now you can say he will reject the Lakers' offer since he doesn't want to come off the bench. However money does talk, and for an extra $ 5 million, who knows.

Depending on how this rumored Knick offer plays out, we'll see what happens.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

Chances for Buddy might have just taken a hit: Just heard that neither Washington, nor Sacramento want Schroeder in a S&T.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
Chances for Buddy might have just taken a hit: Just heard that neither Washington, nor Sacramento want Schroeder in a S&T.

It presumably would have had to happen with another team, and that other team sending stuff to Sacramento.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps his Agent and go find a team that wants to pay him what he thinks he deserves and then let the Lakers know so they can facillitate a sign n trade...
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

The one statement that stood out to me when Pelinka was discussing free agency is (they would spend money wisely). $25 mil for a backup pg whose inability to shoot the 3pt shot or run a competent point as a table setter for his teammates does not seem wise. You cannot run him alongside RW as the spacing will be compromised. Lastly $25 mil becomes $XXXXXX mil when including lux tax.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

guy is an idiot couldnt have happened to a more selfish self centered player
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Send him to Chicago
Chicago sends Sac Lauri
Sac sends back bagley and sends us Hield

Could this work?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

The one statement that stood out to me when Pelinka was discussing free agency is (they would spend money wisely). $25 mil for a backup pg whose inability to shoot the 3pt shot or run a competent point as a table setter for his teammates does not seem wise. You cannot run him alongside RW as the spacing will be compromised. Lastly $25 mil becomes $XXXXXX mil when including lux tax.

The point is to try to trade him by the trade deadline. It's very useful to have salary ballast for opportunities that come up during the season - and he will be an expiring so he could be attractive to teams that are looking to shed long contracts. If it doesn't pan out (i.e. there's no deal available), fine he walks at the end of next season.

As for the cost, yes I understand it's YUGE money - but the window is rapidly closing on Lebron's career, this year could well be the last year he's Top 10 (I sure hope not, but it's possible). If money has to be spent, it better be now when the window may still be open. His money can only be used on him or a trade - NOTHING else. If he walks, this money is gone, all the Lakers get is an empty roster spot/vet min, period. Saving that money is only beneficial to Jeanie/owners, doesn't help the basketball product at all.

As for running him alongside RW, completely agree. He will have to come off the bench and run the second unit, and he may not want that, in which case fine, he walks and loses the premium the Lakers were willing to give him in order to keep him as an asset. Both sides lose something.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

The point is to try to trade him by the trade deadline. It's very useful to have salary ballast for opportunities that come up during the season - and he will be an expiring so he could be attractive to teams that are looking to shed long contracts. If it doesn't pan out (i.e. there's no deal available), fine he walks at the end of next season.

As for the cost, yes I understand it's YUGE money - but the window is rapidly closing on Lebron's career, this year could well be the last year he's Top 10 (I sure hope not, but it's possible). If money has to be spent, it better be now when the window may still be open. His money can only be used on him or a trade - NOTHING else. If he walks, this money is gone, all the Lakers get is an empty roster spot/vet min, period. Saving that money is only beneficial to Jeanie/owners, doesn't help the basketball product at all.

As for running him alongside RW, completely agree. He will have to come off the bench and run the second unit, and he may not want that, in which case fine, he walks and loses the premium the Lakers were willing to give him in order to keep him as an asset. Both sides lose something.

How much minutes does he play if Russ is 32+? Spending $25mil on a less than 20 minute per game player just feels wrong. You just need a caretaker type PG for those minutes who can execute the offense and play defense. They are available.

Will it prevent signing THT and Caruso to keep the lux tax from exploding? That is why I mentioned Rob saying they will spend wisely. As much as Lebron's window needs to be factored I do believe $'s also needs to be.

How much does he actually improve the product on the court? From my POV not enough to validate his value as a lost asset. It is telling I did not see any Laker player come out to support him before the RW trade.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

How much minutes does he play if Russ is 32+? Spending $25mil on a less than 20 minute per game player just feels wrong. You just need a caretaker type PG for those minutes who can execute the offense and play defense. They are available.

Will it prevent signing THT and Caruso to keep the lux tax from exploding? That is why I mentioned Rob saying they will spend wisely. As much as Lebron's window needs to be factored I do believe $'s also needs to be.

How much does he actually improve the product on the court? From my POV not enough to validate his value as a lost asset. It is telling I did not see any Laker player come out to support him before the RW trade.

He will get 6th man minutes so I guess 25 ish especially during the regular season, in keeping with the thesis of reducing regular season wear and tear on Lebron. By comparison Jordan Clarkson average 27 minutes last season.

Is it worth $25 million to have a 6th man? Oh it definitely isn't for a multi-year contract, but for a 1 year deal? Well that's my entire argument:
Loss: Limited to $12.5 - $25 + lux for no more than a year
Gain: The option of attaining a $20+ million player or a couple of $12-13 million players. (Think players at the level equal to or above KCP)

As for impact on THT/AC signing: it sure wouldn't be for salary cap reasons - it would be purely because ownership decided they didn't want to pay the 25 million + luxury tax for next season no matter the potential gain. Well, that's exactly what this discussion is about. I would criticize ownership for being "too cheap" and not doing everything they could've done to maximize Lebron's window.

As for improving the product - well, Schroeder is NOT the desired end result - the end result is the players to be obtained using his salary slot:
Can the product be better next season by using Schroeder's money to ADD 1 or 2 KCP level players WITHOUT losing THT/AC/mmle.
Is there a reasonable chance? (I know it's not a guarantee)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Bad feelings?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

He will get 6th man minutes so I guess 25 ish especially during the regular season, in keeping with the thesis of reducing regular season wear and tear on Lebron. By comparison Jordan Clarkson average 27 minutes last season.

Is it worth $25 million to have a 6th man? Oh it definitely isn't for a multi-year contract, but for a 1 year deal? Well that's my entire argument:
Loss: Limited to $12.5 - $25 + lux for no more than a year
Gain: The option of attaining a $20+ million player or a couple of $12-13 million players. (Think players at the level equal to or above KCP)

As for impact on THT/AC signing: it sure wouldn't be for salary cap reasons - it would be purely because ownership decided they didn't want to pay the 25 million + luxury tax for next season no matter the potential gain. Well, that's exactly what this discussion is about. I would criticize ownership for being "too cheap" and not doing everything they could've done to maximize Lebron's window.

As for improving the product - well, Schroeder is NOT the desired end result - the end result is the players to be obtained using his salary slot:
Can the product be better next season by using Schroeder's money to ADD 1 or 2 KCP level players WITHOUT losing THT/AC/mmle.
Is there a reasonable chance? (I know it's not a guarantee)

Understand where you are coming from. Just don't necessarily see it the same but all is good. Final question which do you value more as an asset THT+AC or DS?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
He was more effective playing with CP3 and SGA than he was starting for us.
If we signed him for an off the bench role I am fine with that as talent is talent and we lost Kuz off the bench.

Actually he was about the same, except he was the 3rd option with us with an undefined role instead of a defined role as a 6th man, and what he did in LeBron and AD's absence and then when he had to play as a 1-2 punch with AD in LeBron's absence was actually very solid play. But for some reason that keeps being ignored.

Much as people argued "He's better as a 6th man"

And the truth was "He's only a 6th man if your main point guard is better than him."

Now the Lakers have that, so you'd have assumed that the general consensus would be "Bring him back as a 6th man if you can behind Westbrook.". Depends on if he wants to do that though. If he's willing to though, it's a win for us.

Any scenario we take, whether we were to S&T him for more players, or Re-sign him as a 6th man, is a win for us. Letting him walk is the only lose-lose scenario.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Thinking Dallas would be of interest for Schro with Kidd there. Could reconnect with his fellow German Dirk. If the Mavs don’t get a top
flight PG, can see them offer a contract.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Thinking Dallas would be of interest for Schro with Kidd there. Could reconnect with his fellow German Dirk. If the Mavs don’t get a top
flight PG
, can see them offer a contract.

Luka is their PG
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
flight PG
, can see them offer a contract.

Luka is their PG

Got it. They have been linked to Lowry, so, like Lebron this year,
Dallas seems to be looking to move Luka off that initiator responsibility or provide that secondary ball handler.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Bad feelings?

If DS S&T to knicks for say only 1st yr guarantee (if Knicks want to punt cap space to next yr), do the Knick get his bird right it they opt him out then sign him over cap next yr (after say get 2 max)? Just wanna know if there’s incentive for the S&T vs out right sign him
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
If we sign and trade Dennis, doesn't that trigger our hard cap?

If that's the case, I think we just let him walk or trade him only for the trade exception.

Only if the incoming player is S&T.

If your statement is true, that's a very simple sentence that clears up a lot of confusion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 219, 220, 221 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 220 of 284
Jump to: