2021 NBA Draft.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject:

watching Primo with non pessimistic eyes haha

I'm liking his jumper, and of course he has the prototype SG creation/handle ability you want today

Btw, 6'4.0 without shoes, 6'5.0 with shoes 8'6.5 reach ; meaning he actually has an 8'7 reach. add an extra .5" inch of the common shoe size of the combine that other prospects benefit from

Some prospects his height don't look tall enough to pass over the top to the roller, but he does - Tre Mann not so much, he struggles to create passing angles.
great combine skip pass. Had another great pass in the scrimmage where he ISO'd but kept his dribble alive into a probe and made a shovel pass. high level SG creation that play was

There was a possession at the combine scrimmage where Hauser was guarding him and he got a half step on him off the dribble and made a shovel pass assist - I was impressed with Hauser not looking bad athletically guarding him, Hauser came into the combine in great shape.
Hauser turned his head anticipating a screen, I think this also slowed him down...so maybe Hauser can be halfway survivable in the league in this shape

I think Primo has a case to be a 25-30 prospect in this draft

Uses his body/chest pretty well on defense 1v1 and has the chance to do that more at the next level, he's often in position to do so, but I think the whistle is so quick in NCAA players play soft
Still growing into his body too, under 190lbs but looks like he'll be able to put on weight
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Considering his age, what's Primo's upside in terms of potential?

Depends on the team's development squad and training staff.

He's just so young, and so badly wants to make the right plays.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
nbaDrafter
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

I feel Primo's lucky in a sense - teams put such a premium on wing three point shooting, especially when combined with that moldable youth unknown, that it's the rising tide that lifts all related boats. Draftniks rationalize drafting Primo as drafting him a year ahead of time before he can become a lotto pick - that's a big gamble. And really, is it really worth it if he turns out to be a one-dimensional shooter, with little else? That's a dime a dozen you might even scour out of the undrafted bin.

In terms of what he did at Alabama, I had him top 50. And frankly, it was the youth that put him in the top 50, because if he did that at age 20 rather than 18, that's easily undraftable. You better hope that Alabama was reallly suppressing him the way Calipari suppresses his wings back in Kentucky. Unfortunately, Kentucky was far deeper in NBA drafts, and Primo only had to deal with guys like Jahvon Quinerly and John Petty in the perimeter, both not projected to be drafted.

Athletically, he didn't display much ups in game at all (among young or suppressed guys, at least Devin Booker and THT did), and seemed to play smaller than his body despite the fact that he got to the rim for a shooter. Frankly, I'm not even that confident about the shooting, and that's not to mention the serious lack of ball skills (better hope this was suppressed with Alabama's guards just hogging the ball). He also seems highly unreactive - 12! guys on his team (12 guys had higher steals/40 on his team; steals aren't the end all be all, but reactivity is essential/predictive in the NBA, and damn). Also, despite all the lack of juice on defense, was a little foul prone - kind of concerning.

He's just projected to be a negative on both ends. He just really needs another year in college to hone his game against players his age, and to take more responsibility. He could get that seasoning in the G-League, but I'd wonder if he'll struggle there with the step up. Might be a great interview, but I'm not really seeing it.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

^Same. Had one good month for the entire season, and even then, his 2-point shooting that month is generally unacceptable.

I spent enough time looking at certain things, wondering what NBA development can do. But this is a pick for teams with extra picks that are willing to gamble, and for Primo, and the tough situation he's gone through recently, it may actually work out well for a guaranteed contract.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

Seems like a no brainer when looking at the two Josh's.
Christopher is the much better prospect than Primo at this time and for us.
Seems my initial prospect desire of either Duarte or Murphy is a bust as they look to go higher in the draft, maybe even lotto for Duarte....wow

New batch of Laker prospects seem to be Springer, Butler, Hyland, McBride, Christopher, and maybe Dosonmu?? Prefer not

Pray for an early second rounder....maybe Edwards. Really could use help on the wing.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

In addition to Duarte, Shams says Bouknight and Wagner are rising too. Top 6-7 for the former is in the cards and lottery for the latter.

This is going to be an interesting draft.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

So there has been only 2 players through this years draft process that the Lakers have BOTH interviewed and worked out. Jaden Springer and Trey Murphy. I think that puts them as 1 and 2 on their board. Not sure if either are still there at 22😩
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
So there has been only 2 players through this years draft process that the Lakers have BOTH interviewed and worked out. Jaden Springer and Trey Murphy. I think that puts them as 1 and 2 on their board. Not sure if either are still there at 22😩

I don't think we get all of the info reported of who they workout or interview

to think the Lakers have only worked out 20 players to this point, or will only work out 20-30 players is far from how the draft process goes
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:

Teams met with a number of players at the Combine that weren't reported in the media. What may be more indicative of a teams interest in a player is if they have them in for an individual workout.

Wasn't it reported that teams at the combine were given a list of players they would have the opportunity to interview instead of teams being able to select who they wanted to interview?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

As for Primo I tend to see him as @Mark10 45 stated above. The shooting, handles and body control as Mark10 45 mentioned all have flashed in game and allows to project as NBA level skills. Yes age does matter and for reference he is close to 7 months younger than Chel Holmgren the top high school recruit this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
In addition to Duarte, Shams says Bouknight and Wagner are rising too. Top 6-7 for the former is in the cards and lottery for the latter.

Let them. I'm a hard pass on Bouknight that early. Wagner, I feel better about, especially with his more recent growth spurt and slight chance he develops better coordination. But, still a rotation player in my mind.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Crazy comp of the week: Russell Westbrook and Jaden Springer as CBB ball handlers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

Let them. I'm a hard pass on Bouknight that early. Wagner, I feel better about, especially with his more recent growth spurt and slight chance he develops better coordination. But, still a rotation player in my mind.

If Wagner is 6'11, do you get any AK-47 vibes?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
As for Primo I tend to see him as @Mark10 45 stated above. The shooting, handles and body control as Mark10 45 mentioned all have flashed in game and allows to project as NBA level skills. Yes age does matter and for reference he is close to 7 months younger than Chel Holmgren the top high school recruit this year.

Similarly aged guys who withdrew like Prkacin and Mathurin were clearly better prospects to me and if you're going with raw moldability, I don't know why Thor, Boston, or Christopher wouldn't intrigue you more given superior pedigrees and/or at least one elite physical attribute vis-a-vis Primo.

But Primo is a blank slate. Who knows what he'll be a year from now let alone five years from now? Nonetheless, if Primo is a 1st round pick and Mathurin is still in college, NBA scouts failed.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Similarly aged guys who withdrew like Prkacin and Mathurin were clearly better prospects to me and if you're going with raw moldability, I don't know why Thor, Boston, or Christopher wouldn't intrigue you more given superior pedigrees and/or at least one elite physical attribute vis-a-vis Primo.

But Primo is a blank slate. Who knows what he'll be a year from now let alone five years from now? Nonetheless, if Primo is a 1st round pick and Mathurin is still in college, NBA scouts failed.

I like that Primo's shooting is far advanced beyond those guys, at least in my opinion..not just the % but I love the sway in his jumper, it looks like it has great rhythm/flow

Christopher has some head tilt I don't like, shades of Cooper or Giannis, of course not as bad but it's there to a degree. yes he can work it out, he has 5 years to learn how to shoot..

Boston I don't like his form either, and he shot it poorly at his workout, as well as terrible early season.
Boston has maybeee 70%tile length for a SF. While Primo is the same or better for SG, realizing his reach is 8'7, one inch below Boston, and one inch wingspan less.

BJ had some nice ballhandling flashes in HS; it'll be interesting to see if his game breaks out.
I think they're all very close to eachother in rank ; and I'll take the natural shooter (who is also above average off the dribble) Primo
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

BJ does NOT pass the eye test, at all to me. At least Primo does but he is so young. Not exactly what we need now. Would take Christopher over him. Springer is the wild card. He seems to be all over the place in mocks. Maybe he does slip?? Awfully young as well, but has translatable qualities we could use right now. Great D.

Question is if Murphy and Springer are there, who do you take?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

AK just had this unusual twitch that's difficult to match. That's what would separate them for me.

But someone like a 2-way Hedo? That's a big deal.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
BJ does NOT pass the eye test, at all to me. At least Primo does but he is so young. Not exactly what we need now. Would take Christopher over him. Springer is the wild card. He seems to be all over the place in mocks. Maybe he does slip?? Awfully young as well, but has translatable qualities we could use right now. Great D.

Question is if Murphy and Springer are there, who do you take?

I have them like 20 draft spaces apart.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

How close do you think he is to Hedo ball skills wise, and then scoring wise?
I assume you didn't mean he'd exactly hit that skill level but .. ?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:

He's another 6' something guard that had a giant growth spurt in in the past 3 years.

Hedo needed time to develop that ball handling too. He needed at least 2-3 years to refine his ball handling to that level.

Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

He's another 6' something guard that had a giant growth spurt in in the past 3 years.

Hedo needed time to develop that ball handling too. He needed at least 2-3 years to refine his ball handling to that level.

yea I remember him in Sac.. he had a simplified role, typical wing, pretty much a shooter then right?

I think Hedo was more fluid of an athlete, maybe he had less broad shoulders or a low butt like Luka - something about him, he was able to move so fluid like a Paul Pierce. Wagner is stiffer to me - he has some clunky moments on-ball like Kuzma; it's tough for guys that tall to be ball handlers consistently
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

yea I remember him in Sac.. he had a simplified role, typical wing, pretty much a shooter then right?

I think Hedo was more fluid of an athlete, maybe he had less broad shoulders or a low butt like Luka - something about him, he was able to move so fluid like a Paul Pierce. Wagner is stiffer to me - he has some clunky moments on-ball like Kuzma; it's tough for guys that tall to be ball handlers consistently

But how do we know how fluid an athlete Franz is going to be when he's still growing into his bpdy with a late spurt? Hedo didn't look like Hedo until 23, at least 2 years into the league.

Franz is 19 until the end of August with 2 years NCAA experience under his belt.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

2 pods in the can.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

Not really. Was a fan of Kirilenko. He could guard 1-5 in today's NBA. Growing up in Russia probably hindered his offensive development but with how far the game has progressed overseas I could see him as a multiple all star today.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Taken in a vacuum my response was about Primo without any regards to comparing to other prospects given similar age. But since you asked.

Mathurin - can't comment as I barely started reviewing him before he pulled out.

Boston - don't see any advantage he has. Average athlete and don't care about high school accolades when the college performance is so poor. Looked like a JAG at the Klutch pro day.

Prkacin - upside looks limited. Question if his international play style will translate to the NBA including defense. This seems to be the trend for the majority of the internationals who come over. Has a blocky frame that limits his movement skills and I am not referring to straight line speed. Really needs his outside shot to develop. Best case is a rotational player in the mode of Dario Saric.

Thor - I like him. Would take him over Primo. Both are 2-4 years away but JT has the higher ceiling and potential impact.

Christopher - I do like him but his primary advantage over Primo is his run and jump athleticism which is straight line speed and verticality. I prefer Primo's ability to use his handles to create scoring opportunities and he already has a 3pth shot. Primo was difficult to evaluate at Alabama as he was the 4th guard in a guard dominated line up but he flashed his skills when you review his videos. JayGup play at Arizona State was like a lesser version of Cam Thomas in regards to poor shot selection and having tunnel vision only seeing the basket once he had the ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 49 of 53
Jump to: