Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/1351988199103451136?s=21

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2020-21)

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2019-20)

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the entire 2019-20 season, the Lakers' opponents made 22.9 baskets per game on 42.2 attempts.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the 2020-21 season (so far), the Lakers' opponents made 24.2 baskets per game on 45.5 attempts.

So, in the paint on average per game, the Lakers are giving up 1.3 extra baskets on 3.3 extra attempts.
In other words, Lakers opponents are attacking in the paint quite a bit more this year than last year but the efficiency of those extra attacks is only about 40%. Thus, the explanation of why the Lakers defense is better this year than last year but points in the paint have increased. The opponents are attacking the paint more often but the Lakers defense against those attacks is actually pretty good.

Summary: Rob screwed up by not resigning McGee/Howard and relying on the bloated Marc Gasol.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the entire 2019-20 season, the Lakers' opponents made 22.9 baskets per game on 42.2 attempts.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the 2020-21 season (so far), the Lakers' opponents made 24.2 baskets per game on 45.5 attempts.

So, in the paint on average per game, the Lakers are giving up 1.3 extra baskets on 3.3 extra attempts.
In other words, Lakers opponents are attacking in the paint quite a bit more this year than last year but the efficiency of those extra attacks is only about 40%. Thus, the explanation of why the Lakers defense is better this year than last year but points in the paint have increased. The opponents are attacking the paint more often but the Lakers defense against those attacks is actually pretty good.

Summary: Rob screwed up by not resigning McGee/Howard and relying on the bloated Marc Gasol.

The summary is not that at all. Opponents are attacking the paint more often because they perceive a weakness. The Lakers are holding those extra attacks off at a good rate.

Also, you owe Marc Gasol an apology.

Last edited by Annihilator on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

The summary is not that at all. Opponents are attacking the paint more often because they perceive a weakness. The Lakers are holding those extra attacks off at a good rate.

I see your point Annihilator so underlined and bolded it with underline. You are saying the Lakers interior defense is quite good and our protection at the rim isn't an issue.

That is a good point you made, didn't realize that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

I think there are two concepts: Rim protection and overall defense.

I think our overall defense is sound. That includes things like perimeter defenders.

Rim protection specifically? We are just much smaller than last year's regular season team so naturally, we will struggle a bit more compared to them.

I personally want one more 7 footer off the bench to be able to use. Someone like Dedmon is perfect for me.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

No, the point is that guys like KCP have nothing to adjust to b/c he has played with LBJ for now a 3rd season. He knows his role and remember,

So KCP has adjusted to his role by now but DS has not. That implies that there is room for improvement and DS will be even better once he adjusts to his role? Sounds like we are saying the same thing?
yinoma2001 wrote:

he was pretty bad year 1 with LBJ.

He was definitely not as good as he 2nd half of last year and this year, yes, again we agree though I'd use a term like " mediocre" instead of "pretty bad"
yinoma2001 wrote:

DS is still wading through finding out how to play off of LBJ/AD. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't,

So he isn't as effective playing off LBJ/AD as we would like. Again we agree.
yinoma2001 wrote:

but the net team statistics with him in the starting lineup show it's working.

Perhaps you can help me with better understanding statistics because all that I'm gleaning from the statistics you quoted is that DS is better than Kuz/Wes/Kieff/THT, has a good usage rate compared to them and the starting lineup with him is doing better *so far* than last year's starting lineup.
All of these are either orthogonal to, or support what I contended about DS : he is doing OK but can do so much better, so I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No, the point is that guys like KCP have nothing to adjust to b/c he has played with LBJ for now a 3rd season. He knows his role and remember,

So KCP has adjusted to his role by now but DS has not. That implies that there is room for improvement and DS will be even better once he adjusts to his role? Sounds like we are saying the same thing?
yinoma2001 wrote:

he was pretty bad year 1 with LBJ.

He was definitely not as good as he 2nd half of last year and this year, yes, again we agree though I'd use a term like " mediocre" instead of "pretty bad"
yinoma2001 wrote:

DS is still wading through finding out how to play off of LBJ/AD. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't,

So he isn't as effective playing off LBJ/AD as we would like. Again we agree.
yinoma2001 wrote:

but the net team statistics with him in the starting lineup show it's working.

Perhaps you can help me with better understanding statistics because all that I'm gleaning from the statistics you quoted is that DS is better than Kuz/Wes/Kieff/THT, has a good usage rate compared to them and the starting lineup with him is doing better *so far* than last year's starting lineup.
All of these are either orthogonal to, or support what I contended about DS : he is doing OK but can do so much better, so I'm glad we're seeing eye to eye.

Um yeah, I never said he was playing at an all star level? Shrug.

I was saying that Kuz/KCP, etc. have the benefit of time with LBJ. Playing point guard off of LBJ is tough and can't be figured out in 15 games. So yeah I think we are agreeing.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Um yeah, I never said he was playing at an all star level? Shrug.

I was saying that Kuz/KCP, etc. have the benefit of time with LBJ. Playing point guard off of LBJ is tough and can't be figured out in 15 games. So yeah I think we are agreeing.

Great, I'll shift this to the DS thread for more on this ..
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

Vogel postgame with an interesting comment I've never heard him say at all last season. When asked by Trudell why Lakers gave up 60 points in the paint...

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

Frank Vogel said Lakers tried to take about 10 charges tonight, that it was a point for the Lakers to force collisions at the rim defensively.

So our defensive MO in the paint has definitely altered from blocking shots to now taking charges instead.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Vogel postgame with an interesting comment I've never heard him say at all last season. When asked by Trudell why Lakers gave up 60 points in the paint...

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

Frank Vogel said Lakers tried to take about 10 charges tonight, that it was a point for the Lakers to force collisions at the rim defensively.

So our defensive MO in the paint has definitely altered from blocking shots to now taking charges instead.

The NBA classifies points in the paint in two ways: points in the paint (restricted area) and points in the paint (non-restricted area).

In terms of efficiency (shots made/shots attempted) for all shots in the paint (both restricted and non-restricted), the Lakers are currently 9th in the league. As compared to last season, the Lakers are marginally weaker at shots in the paint (restricted area) but are quite a bit stronger at shots in the paint (non-restricted area). In terms of defense of shots in the paint (non-restricted area), the Lakers are the second best team in the league right now. So, by taking charges, the Lakers are trying to keep the other team out of the restricted area.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

The NBA classifies points in the paint in two ways: points in the paint (restricted area) and points in the paint (non-restricted area).

In terms of efficiency (shots made/shots attempted) for all shots in the paint (both restricted and non-restricted), the Lakers are currently 9th in the league. As compared to last season, the Lakers are marginally weaker at shots in the paint (restricted area) but are quite a bit stronger at shots in the paint (non-restricted area). In terms of defense of shots in the paint (non-restricted area), the Lakers are the second best team in the league right now. So, by taking charges, the Lakers are trying to keep the other team out of the restricted area.

Yep, our paint defense is gone about differently but still very effective.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

Charges don't produce a shot in the paint so they aren't fully reflected in that statistic.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

Without your rebuttal, I probably would have been a bit concerned if the poster had stated RP messed up based on those numbers. I'm not that deep or clear about these areas.

I appreciate the clarification from your post because it's more in line with what we're seeing w/o understanding numbers such as those. Thank you.

Simple questions to the "Rob messed up poster"

1. How did you determine that Pelinka "messed up" from those numbers when it looks like it's the opposite?

2. How did Pelinka "mess up" when we have the best record in the league, and unbeaten on the road?

Last edited by LakerDYnasty72 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Trezz takes some dangerous charges and takes a lot of punishment on his body. Hopefully doesn't get injured doing so.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

They TRIED to take 10 charges, but watching the game the refs called like 7 of those 10 blocking against the Lakers. Hard to defend with 50-50 calls that depends on the refs.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

They TRIED to take 10 charges, but watching the game the refs called like 7 of those 10 blocking against the Lakers. Hard to defend with 50-50 calls that depends on the refs.

Good point. It's a 50/50 call and the player taking the charge puts their body at risk too.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

Keeping in mind Trez' punishing style of play, it seems that the majority of the board sees the need for, or recognizes the absence of, another big.

The FO apparently sees it differently, at least for now. A part of me feels like they have someone in their back pocket.

My goodness, it would sure feel so much better to add another big!
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
MJST wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
Kyle Goon:

Charges don't produce a shot in the paint so they aren't fully reflected in that statistic.

Right--but the statistic does reflect why the Lakers are implementing this particular defensive scheme. By keeping opponents out of the restricted area--where the Lakers defense is average (15th in terms of percentages)--the Lakers keep opponents in the part of the court where long arms, IQ, and defensive activity work to the Lakers advantage.

Last edited by Annihilator on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Haven't really read through this thread, but I don't think rim protection is as important as it used to be. It's a misnomer to think that our size was the reason our defense was so good last season. Was it a contributing factor? Sure. But the kind of swarming defense the smaller lineups played where everyone was on a string (hello Game 6 against Miami) is what made us special.

Going back to the rim protection issue, it's a good deterrent to prevent teams from gauging us in the paint, but ultimately the way the game is played today discourages high usage of the classic big man anchor like Dwight/Mcgee. You may lower the opponent's paint FG% and generate some second chance opportunities along the way, but you also give up 3PT defense and ability to switch effectively. And at the end of the day, we get the best of both worlds with AD at the 5 in the playoffs anyway. I keep hearing that we still need another big for the RS, but we seem to be doing just fine...
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Keeping in mind Trez' punishing style of play, it seems that the majority of the board sees the need for, or recognizes the absence of, another big.

The FO apparently sees it differently, at least for now. A part of me feels like they have someone in their back pocket.

I feel like among fans, it's become this echo chamber where we keep saying we need another big, we need another big...in reality, this team was/is (?) still #1 in defense. We're doing just FINE without Dwight/Mcgee. I think if we run into an injury issue, which is probably what a lot of people fear, the FO will take action at that time. But there's no need to do so right now when everything is chugging along okay. We still have Cacok in reserve, too.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

I feel like among fans, it's become this echo chamber where we keep saying we need another big, we need another big...in reality, this team was/is (?) still #1 in defense. We're doing just FINE without Dwight/Mcgee. I think if we run into an injury issue, which is probably what a lot of people fear, the FO will take action at that time. But there's no need to do so right now when everything is chugging along okay. We still have Cacok in reserve, too.

I hear you but there's a reason I chose to say "it would feel better" than say "we need" another big. I make a distinction.

Never said need, but it would feel better the moment an inevitable Gasol or Trez, or AD injury occurs to have another big.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

I hear you but there's a reason I chose to say "it would feel better" than say "we need" another big. I make a distinction.

Never said need, but it would feel better the moment an inevitable Gasol or Trez, or AD injury occurs to have another big.

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

Small correction - we don't know whether they're thinking differently because even if they wanted a big ASAP they couldn't simply get one due to the hard cap. We may get a better read later in the season when there's more (but still pretty limited) room under the hard cap.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

Without your rebuttal, I probably would have been a bit concerned if the poster had stated RP messed up based on those numbers. I'm not that deep or clear about these areas.

I appreciate the clarification from your post because it's more in line with what we're seeing w/o understanding numbers such as those. Thank you.

Simple questions to the "Rob messed up poster"

1. How did you determine that Pelinka "messed up" from those numbers when it looks like it's the opposite?

2. How did Pelinka "mess up" when we have the best record in the league, and unbeaten on the road?

Not complicated. LA Laker head coach Frank Vogel stated that the Laker interior defense was bad and he challenged his backline players to be better.

I'm not sure why such energy is put forth into denying what is obvious EVEN TO THE LAKER HEAD COACH.

Our interior defense, be that in the paint or at the rim, is not as "effective" as it was last season. Not sure why some here are fighting that...
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Last few games, Laker analyst Stu Lance has been lamenting about all the points the Lakers are giving up in the paint. All this talk about Gasol being "high IQ" (whatever) and a positional defense is just another way of saying he doesn't have the physical ability to contest shots at the rim, and the fact that opposing teams are driving into the paint so often confirms that Gasol has no intimidation factor.

Come the playoffs, teams will exploit the weakness Gasol brings. They will figure out that Gasol is too slow and bloated to do anything to stop drives to the basket, and they will either draw AD into foul trouble covering for Gasol, or they will draw him away from the key to isolate Gasol inside.

We will have to rely on positional defense and help-outs, which is not a good proposition come playoff time. That said, I have enough faith in Vogel to figure it out.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

Small correction - we don't know whether they're thinking differently because even if they wanted a big ASAP they couldn't simply get one due to the hard cap. We may get a better read later in the season when there's more (but still pretty limited) room under the hard cap.

I used the word "apparently" not certainly. The word used suffices for the point made.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 12 of 26
Jump to: