BULLS -at- LAKERS – 1-8-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: BULLS -at- LAKERS – 1-8-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Only got to catch part of the game in the second half. Looked like the new guys (Trezz, Schroder, Matthews) all contributed a lot in that second half. LeBron playing with a little fire down the stretch.

Hopefully, Wolf and/or someone else can post some in-depth details.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

STARTERS: Gasol-Kieff-Bron-Wesley-Schroder

Bron
Good game from Bron. Saw a lot of post ups and 1-3 screen &roll with Dennis, Lucky to have a guy like him on the Lakers.

Action: Bron with a turnaround step back post up J (great move). Very effective 2 man games with Dennis late in the 1st half. Some good hockey assist passing. Botched plays with Marc Gasol. Bron with a lot of quality post moves and jumpers. Just brilliant post play from Bron. Comes into the 4th to close the game with a nice and 1 fallig back drive jumper. throughout the 3rd. Bron finished the game with 28 points 7 assists 4 TOs and was a +8

Schroder

The decision making just kills me at times. Overall numbers are solid, as a 2nd option, but I thought he played pretty poorly until late in the game, where he played a lot better. Slowed down and picked his spots well. Hence the second smiley. Dennis needs to play more like the 2nd half, than 1st. Some really effective 2 man games with Bron. We need him to understand that is his strength, not the other stuff.

Action: Very poor bounce pass to Bron in the 1st Q. Good defensive challenges while he struggled on offense. Poor post entry pass to Trez. Misses a drive going 1 on 4. Returns into the game, struggles at first. Hits a midrange jumper after a screen set by Trez. Nice score of a 2 man game with Bron. Lost LaVine and gave up a 3 early 3rd Q. Foul trouble in the 3rd. Scored a layup off a Bron give and go. Another horrible pass in a sequence where he is trying to find a teammate on the move. Defense gave him some space on the 3 with Bron close to him, and he took it. Rondo like. Lakers ran a lot of 1-3 Dennis/Bron screen&rolls. Dennis finishes the game with 17 points 6 assists 4 TOs on and was a -5

Gasol

Nice to have a big that can space the floor a bit and pass to post up wings, (and maybe eventually cutters). But his defense stinks, when it comes to interior intimidation at the moment. Definitely put it on his teammates as well, but even his own man are never afraid to go right at him in the paint.

Action: Very slow coverage defensively early on. Getting killed on S&R defense. Having issues with defense inside again. Getting ugly at some point how easy it was for Bulls to exploit. Only asset in this game was the post entry feeding to Bron. Nice to have a big man that can stay out on the perimeter and feed the ball like that. We ran some Tri like plays, I thought. Marc finished the game with 6 points, 4 boards and was a +12

Kieff Decent fill in game, he is a niche role player. Action: Nice layup, but not challenging shots inside at all. Was out out of sorts early part of the game, missing looks. Tried to use him in the post, mixed results and he did get some scores in eventually. Kieff finished the game with 11 points, 6 boards and was a +10

Wesley Another niche role player. Action: Missed an open shot early, was having issues with making shots, but did make two outstanding defensive plays. Kick out wing 3 made off Bron. Hits FOUR threes in a short sequence in the 3rd, mostly off Bron. Matthews finished with 14 points points and was a -6

Caruso Good seeing Alex back into the thick of things, and it seems he is developing some chemistry with THT and Trez, when AD and Bron are not on the court. That is a great sign. Action: Great ball movement, hits a 3. Allows LaVine to get what he wants. Nice late pass to THT for a corner 3, but Alex allowing LaVine too many easy looks. Good deflection. Another nice drive and kick to Kuz. But Caruso getting lit by Coby White now, first LaVine now White. Caruso Action: Great ball movement, hits a 3. Allows LaVine to get what he wants. Nice late pass to THT for a corner 3, but Alex allowing LaVine too many easy looks. Good deflection. Another nice drive and kick to Kuz. Alex finished the game with 9 points 3 assists and was a +1

THT Two games in a row THT looks like a NBA top 8 rotation player, on a good team. Action: Nice spin move into the paint for a layup. Hits a corner 3 buzzer beater. Draws fouls, hits both. 7 points quick. Another layup. Another baseline drive, but the attention he draws, brings Trez freedom to get an And 1. Talen finished the game with 9 points, 3 assists and was a +1

Trez Great effort, good game on offense, but his lack of interior defense (combined with Gasol) shows. I hope he takes more charges. At least he challenged some perimeter guys on D, which is what we need if we are going to use him at the 5. Action: Allows same weak interior D that Gasol was, but active on the glass. Trez active on O, but shots not falling. Post move, rejected. Rebound tip ins, missing. Takes a tough charge. We need more of that. Another putback. FT line jumper make, wish that shot was money. Trez working the paint as a go to guy when Bron and no AD out there with him and guys like Alex-THT finding him. Another post move score. Good challenge on Lavine in a switch. Trez finished the game with 17 points, 11 rebounds and was a -11

Kuz Action: Hits outside, misses layup. Kuz looked hesitant in this one. Misses a layup in transition. Hits a corner 3, to take the lead into the half. Kuz finished the game with 6 points and was a -6

Dudley Action: dove for a loose ball, and called a Timeout. Sprinted to the bench.

COACHING:

Adjustments - Lakers were running some Tri like post up sets for our wings in this game. They also started to blitz the Bulls guards after being murdered early. Starting Wesley for Kuz, great move. Wesley is a Danny Green clone for us. Winning role player.

Mistakes - Possibly utilizing Dennis to run the 2nd unit in the 1st half, after he had already had his first burst with the 1st unit. So far this season, has not worked out at all for us. However, 2nd half, nice adjustment to have Caruso/THT run that 2nd unit offense with Trez as the focal point.

Offense, something new, a lot more Bron/Schroder 1/3 Pick and Roll action, and 2 man games, vs milking the clock. This is the weapon you added in Dennis, and to close the game, you now have 2 guards in a 2 man game situation. When AD is at the wing or corner, those plays will be even more effective. Just wish Dennis plays within his limits and slows down as the season evolves, to make those plays devastating. Alex/THT are running dual roles as shot creators/PGs for the AD/Bron/Schroder less 2nd unit. That's something new also developing.

Defense, we need something to do about our interior D. We allow way too many layups.I just don't like our effort. Best effort was when Dudley was out there with that all bench lineup.

Game flow, lineups, rotations (+/- change in lead as well)

Starters win 16-14 when Lebron sits (16-14 Lakers up) Kuz in
Lineup is: Gasol-Kieff-Kuz-Wesley-Dennis

18-16 (Lakers up 2) Trez in for Gasol.
Trez/Kieff/Kuz/Wesley/Dennis

Lakers fall to 18-19 Caruso, THT in (Wesley and Kieff out)
Lineup: Trez/Kuz/THT/Caruso/Dennis (this lineup did awful)

Lebron back in, Dennis out, Lakers down 5 (31-26)
Lineup: Trez/Kuz/Bron/THT/Caruso

Lakers down 33-28 after 1 Q.

2nd Q lineup same: Trez/Kuz/Bron/THT/Caruso (Dud lineup)

Lakers fall down by 10 with the above lineup. 33-43.

Kieff in for Kuz when, Lakers down 6.
Lineup: Trez/Kieff/Bron/THT/Caruso

Bron sits, Dennis in for him, Wes for Alex. Lakers down 4 (43-47).
Lienups: Dennis/Wes/THT/Kieff/Trez

Gasol in, Trez out 45-49
Lineup Dennis/Wes/THT/Kieff/Gasol

Bron in for THT, Lakers down 2
Lineup: Dennis/Wes/Bron/Kieff/Gasol

Kieff out, Kuz in, Lakers down 2.
Lineup Dennis/Wes/Bron/Kuz/Gasol

Lakers end up taking a lead to finish out the first half with a Kuzma 3 pointer, Lakers up 1 at the half.

Lakers keep same starters to begin 3rd.

Lakers up 82-77, Trez in for Gasol, Kuz in for Kieff
Lineup: Trez-Kuz-Bron-Wes-Dennis

Lakers up 86-81 Caruso in for Bron
Lineup: Trez-Kuz-Wes-Caruso-Dennis

Lakers tied 86-86 Dudley in for Wes, THT in for Dennis
Lineup: Trez-Dud-Kuz-Caruso-THT (All Bench)
Lakers up 99-90. Lebron in for Kuz
Lineup: Trez/Dudley/Bron/THT/Caruso

Lakers up 99-90, Caruso out for Wesley.
Lineup: Trez/Dudley/Bron/Wesley/THT

Lakers up 102-97 Dennis in, Kieff in, for THT and Dudley
Lineups: Trez/Kieff/Bron/Wesley/Dennis

Lakers up 116-112 Caruso in for Kieff.
Lineups: Trez/Bron/Wesley/Caruso/Dennis

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

TEAM Stats comparison:

Offense:
Points in the paint: -20 (62-42 Bulls)
3 pointers: +6 LA (36-30 LA)
Transition/Fastbreak: - 6 (13-7 Bulls)

Not a good look for us, to get killed in PITP and so little in transition. That is not having AD. But we need to get some more chances on the break.

Defense:
Bulls shot 50.5% and 10-26 from 3.
8 blocks, only 3 team steals.
This is a 4-6 Bulls team, quite young.
A little more veteran team, wins against us.

We are not playing well, but we are sneaking out wins, with great 2nd half "spurts" play. Can honestly say, last 5 wins, have been us playing well only in a portion of the 2nd half to win the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

FIRST!~
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Schroder is killing me with his decisions, lately. I can forgive the stint of poor shooting. But, the turnovers are getting gross.

I thought Gasol was actually really good, tonight. He protected the paint very well, tonight. The problem is PnR coverages. But, I think he played those coverages pretty decently.

For this season, the Lakers are so concerned with not giving up penetration...because we lack last season's rim protection...that they're giving space to shooters, who are then lighting us up. Last season, we were able to pressure those same shooters, and funnel them towards our paint defenders. Just going to have to learn to play a different brand of defense, this season.

P.S. Thanks for the breakdown wolfpaclaker!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf

So, on the one hand, NO team is really playing well early. No one has really stood out thus far.

With that said, I honestly feel none of the Lakers wins have really been quality wins. The only times they have played any team that is at full strength and is a likely playoff team, they lost (Clippers, Blazers, Spurs). Their wins, all of them, have either been against a non-playoff team or possible playoff teams minus one of their key players (Mavs did not have Porzingis).

One thing that needs to be tidied up: Defense. So bloody inconsistent. I'm not sure 10 games is "enough" to make a complete call, but thus far we can conclude this, fairly:

1. The defense is not what it was like last year's team in the first 10 games.

2. Their lack of an intimidating presence inside is being picked on.

Maybe this changes. Maybe it does not.

Additionally, I know there are varying thoughts on this, but unless he is shooting really well, Kuz to me adds very little value.

I am starting to trend to the notion that I had put aside, in deference to Pelinka, that the Lakers need a defensive minded big / rim runner type to bring their D up to snuff. I recall during the short offseason some folks on this forum literally mocked many who wanted such a big, but at this point I am openly wondering "you know, it may be better for this team."

10 games in, 7-3. Next 10 games, imo, will tell us what possible adjustments are needed. These next 2 vs Houston will also tell us where our squad is at.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject:

10 games in, we've won as many as we should've. But our intensity comes and goes, and more often than not it's absent.

It isn't just the lack of defense, but also the lack of transition offense. We're not pushing the ball, and we don't have wingmen running hard in transition. When you don't run, you're going to struggle to put teams away and you'll have to grind out wins like we've had to.

Schroder may make bad decisions once in a while, but the good things he does outweigh those bad decisions. He needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot, and he needs to push the ball more aggressively off rebounds and turnovers.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject:

thanks wolf
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf! Nice write up. I think our poor D is a byproduct of far more than our interior D (MG and Trez are just easy scapegoats). Our perimeter D has been awful all year. We are giving up for to many open shots (many from 3). We are in the top 10 in the # of 3's allowed and 3 point %. What is really scary is we have the worst differential in the league in terms of steals (we are minus 3 steals per game). Sure there are things that will be fixed (guys still learning when to switch and reactions off picks). Frank will fix that. However, as some have said, we have no intensity (starting with our leaders). I think Frank is giving the team a little leeway considering the short off season and the amount of new players in the rotation. We just have to increase our intensity and stop knucklehead plays. Last night, the biggest knucklehead play occurred on offense when LJ hoisted up that 40 foot shot without burning the clock at the end of the game. That was a head scratcher.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Schroder is killing me with his decisions, lately. I can forgive the stint of poor shooting. But, the turnovers are getting gross.

Yep, it wore on me real quick. We have to make the game slower for him, and more easier in terms of his PG decisions. When he runs the 1-3 game with Bron, the decisions are not so tough, and he can operate well. That was development. What we have to do is get to him cut down on the 1 on 4 drives, or forcing offense (especially those passes) that are not there. Make the simple play.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

With that said, I honestly feel none of the Lakers wins have really been quality wins. The only times they have played any team that is at full strength and is a likely playoff team, they lost (Clippers, Blazers, Spurs). Their wins, all of them, have either been against a non-playoff team or possible playoff teams minus one of their key players (Mavs did not have Porzingis).

Yes, a concern of mine as well. We are squeezing out wins against lottery teams, or teams without their stars, playing some spurts of good basketball in the 2nd half.

But habits are forming. Identity wise, I think you are going to establish an identity of a team that is not elite at challenging shots inside, a huge change. As for transition points, again, that is something we are more than capable of. However our bigs are not changing ends post to post as well and Bron is not making as many quick outlet passes as wings are not getting up the floor either.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Schroder may make bad decisions once in a while, but the good things he does outweigh those bad decisions. He needs to be more aggressive looking for his shot, and he needs to push the ball more aggressively off rebounds and turnovers.

I think as a net, you are right he is a positive. Especially if you account for his defensive skills, he has some great defensive sequences. The stats show that he has yet to have an impact on the offense so far for the Lakers (unfortunately).

O rating with Dennis is 101 per 100 possessions.

OBPM is a -2.9 for Dennis.

For reference, Danny Green his O rating was a 108 last season.
Danny Green on OBPM was a -1.1

Now that is not really a fair apples to apples comparison as the roles of the two guys is different (Wesley plays more of the Danny Green role) but I think Dennis is playing inefficient low IQ basketball far too often, and the team is not better with him on the floor (on offense) at the moment. This needs to change.

For example, Alex Caruso (who plays similar role to Dennis) has an O rating of 115, and a OBPM of 0.2

All the numbers are viewable on basketball reference.

That said, I thought the way he played in the 2nd half was very good, and effective, those 1-3 two man games with Bron, give the Lakers a completely different scoring option in the clutch, a weapon we did not possess last year. When LA gets that 1-3 pick and roll run, with AD out there as well at the 5, it will be very tough to defend in crunch time. He can be a major asset in that situation.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

FULL NAME Off Rating Def Rating Net Rating
Wesley Matthews 137.8 105.4 32
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 135.5 103.2 32
Marc Gasol 120 93.3 27
Montrezl Harrell 125.7 100.3 25
Alex Caruso 115.1 101.1 14
Markieff Morris 110.9 97.1 14
Anthony Davis 114.1 102.3 12
Talen Horton-Tucker 109.7 99.3 10
LeBron James 114 103.8 10
Dennis Schroder 100.7 101.4 -1
Kyle Kuzma 100.7 102.4 -2

Link

Sorry. Can't get the columns to line up. If a moderator can edit, I would appreciate it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

Had a REAL issue with Bron's 3 from the logo at the end of the game. Totally unnecessary...boneheaded play from a high IQ player and could have cost us. But anyway...long season...Sure he knows it as well...just can't recall in recent memory a Laker choose to do that in that situation. Maybe he spaced it. Anyway, sleepy January games...early dog days..Take the win and move on. Hopefully AD isn't too bad on the injury front.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I think as a net, you are right he is a positive. Especially if you account for his defensive skills, he has some great defensive sequences. The stats show that he has yet to have an impact on the offense so far for the Lakers (unfortunately).

O rating with Dennis is 101 per 100 possessions.

OBPM is a -2.9 for Dennis

And his DBPM is -1.6 for a total BPM of -4.5. I wouldn’t give much, if any, weight to advanced stats with this small of a sample size.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

Vandal08 wrote:
Had a REAL issue with Bron's 3 from the logo at the end of the game. Totally unnecessary...boneheaded play from a high IQ player and could have cost us. But anyway...long season...Sure he knows it as well...just can't recall in recent memory a Laker choose to do that in that situation. Maybe he spaced it. Anyway, sleepy January games...early dog days..Take the win and move on. Hopefully AD isn't too bad on the injury front.

Had he made it, that would have been a highlight for the ages. As it was, though, I hope that's as bad a play as he makes this season!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
Vandal08 wrote:

Had he made it, that would have been a highlight for the ages. As it was, though, I hope that's as bad a play as he makes this season!

Had he made it, it still would have been a dumb play both in selection and time management.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks Wolf for the analysis! I appreciate your efforts and insights.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: