Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
As much as I want to have fun picking on their defense, I highly doubt it's as big of an issue come playoff time.

So..... did you just start watching basketball?

How could that nit be a problem come playoff time, when the competition is better and the attention to detail is higher?

Come playoff time, the Nets are gonna face a lot better players than Sexton, and a whole lot better teams then Cleveland.

I'm referring to what their roster will look like given that they have open spots and money to spend.

They can improve their roster but its useless if they will not be given the minutes. No way will they take away minutes from Harden and Kyrie.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
As much as I want to have fun picking on their defense, I highly doubt it's as big of an issue come playoff time.

How could that nit be a problem come playoff time, when the competition is better and the attention to detail is higher?

Come playoff time, the Nets are gonna face a lot better players than Sexton, and a whole lot better teams then Cleveland.

I'm referring to what their roster will look like given that they have open spots and money to spend.

Still going to have glaring holes defensively no matter how much time they have since it all starts with 2 of the 3 Superstars that will be on the floor for huge minutes every game. Not to mention there starting center is washed outside of a couple decent plays a game. They can't run KD at Center against any of the elite teams in either conference during crunch time like they did tonight either. Kyrie and Harden are simply a horrible fit together, no doubt they are both elite and extremely talented offensively but those kind of things start really showing and mattering in the Playoffs when facing elite coaching and players who will be making constant adjustments. How is the coaching staff of KD, Kyrie, Harden......... Nash, Dantoni going to do?

From the get go after the Harden trade happened many doubters were talking about the putrid defense and how are Kyrie and Harden going to fit? After the first game together they looked like they both wanted to be "the man" basically playing iso and took turns bricking shots in Overtime while icing out the far and away best player in Durant. Give them another superstar if that's the formula they want to follow and push Durant further into the Ringo role late in games.

I personally don't think those two will work out together as they are both going to have to sacrifice there games quite a bit to really reach there potential as a team and I just dont see it happening especially this season. This is what will make them so interesting to watch though.. At the end of the day they are still 3 ridiculously talented Superstars on one team. If they go on any extended losing streaks I could see some major chemistry issues starting to be talked about as well once the Honeymoon is over in another week or two.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Still going to have glaring holes defensively no matter how much time they have since it all starts with 2 of the 3 Superstars that will be on the floor for huge minutes every game. Not to mention there starting center is washed outside of a couple decent plays a game. They can't run KD at Center against any of the elite teams in either conference during crunch time like they did tonight either. Kyrie and Harden are simply a horrible fit together, no doubt they are both elite and extremely talented offensively but those kind of things start really showing and mattering in the Playoffs when facing elite coaching and players who will be making constant adjustments. How is the coaching staff of KD, Kyrie, Harden......... Nash, Dantoni going to do?

From the get go after the Harden trade happened many doubters were talking about the putrid defense and how are Kyrie and Harden going to fit? After the first game together they looked like they both wanted to be "the man" basically playing iso and took turns bricking shots in Overtime while icing out the far and away best player in Durant. Give them another superstar if that's the formula they want to follow and push Durant further into the Ringo role late in games.

I personally don't think those two will work out together as they are both going to have to sacrifice there games quite a bit to really reach there potential as a team and I just dont see it happening especially this season. This is what will make them so interesting to watch though.. At the end of the day they are still 3 ridiculously talented Superstars on one team. If they go on any extended losing streaks I could see some major chemistry issues starting to be talked about as well once the Honeymoon is over in another week or two.
Exactly, how can they patch the holes, when the holes are gonna play long minutes. It's like Kuzma, we can only criticized for him being the hole in the Lakers, but we could do anything about it but to pray because Vogel will always give him big minutes.

Last edited by leking006 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Kyrie ballhogging in the 2nd OT. Haden ad KD barely touched the ball.

Yep, boneheaded not giving KD those shots.

I think Kyrie's first game with Harden showed where he irrationally feels that he should be in the pecking order. He took 28 shots, Harden took 14. And just 3 assists. In my opinion they should trade Kyrie for someone who better fits with Durant and Harden... But given how he left the Cavs, the Celtics, and how he's been a problem with the Nets, I can't imagine they could get a fair value in return.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject:

Another thing. The game last night went to 2OT. That's 58 mins.

KD who came back from Achilles injury played 50 mins. Harden played also 50 mins. And Kyrie played 48 mins.

... And the little minutes they sat, almost instantly the freaking Cavs went in a run. KD had to do the usual 4th quarter heroics just to bring them back to game. All this in a regular season game. The optics are not good.

They will surely sign RHJ for help in defense. Many will say they can do a Java le for Shamet swap. I don't think so because if they wanted McGee, he will have been included in the big trade.

Last edited by lakerican on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject:

lol.. What have they done?? They don't scare me at all.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
lol.. What have they done?? They don't scare me at all.

2 close wins against Magic and Bucks and got whooped by Cavs

They are already labeling them as champ
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

KD's recovery is amazing. Easily MVP right now, no question.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

I continue to be mystified by the notion in this thread that the Nets are just going to magically add quality players. The almost all the quality players are currently employed for other NBA teams. The chances of the Nets winning another lopsided trade with the remaining assets they have AND gaining depth is effectively zero. So we return, once again, to the notion that a) quality defensive players will be waived and b) the Nets will run the table and get all of the best quality waived players.

Other than a little tinkering around the margins, this is likely to be largely the Nets team that goes into the playoffs. They're not adding any all-NBA defensive types.

Of course, I wouldn't even count on either Kyrie or Harden's availability come playoffs given that one of them is mentally unstable and the other is prone to maskless partying with strippers in violation of the NBA covid policy. Durant is going to find himself alone on that island....
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
leking006 wrote:

I think Kyrie's first game with Harden showed where he irrationally feels that he should be in the pecking order. He took 28 shots, Harden took 14. And just 3 assists. In my opinion they should trade Kyrie for someone who better fits with Durant and Harden... But given how he left the Cavs, the Celtics, and how he's been a problem with the Nets, I can't imagine they could get a fair value in return.

It's just 1 game. Their 1st game together. They have alot to figure out. That offense Nash was having them run was very very very basic.
I wouldn't make any long term projections on what they will be based on that 1 game.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

Judging the nets off their first game together is almost worse than judging us after 10-15ish games together.

They haven't had training camp together, they have had half a practice together. They are jumping into NBA competition right away.

If they were clicking on all cyllinders so fast under those circumstances I'd be very worried.

The Cavs beat the worst version of that team that they'll get and people jumping on it are only doing so in a rush to pile on. Because if that team remains healthy, the more chemistry they gain, the worse for the rest of the league playing against them it's going to get.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
leking006 wrote:

It's just 1 game. Their 1st game together. They have alot to figure out. That offense Nash was having them run was very very very basic.
I wouldn't make any long term projections on what they will be based on that 1 game.

Its first game, but thats what all they can do in offense, the big 3 almost scored 100, I dont think it will go better than that. It's their defense the problem which is I think they cannot fix as long as Kyrie and Harden at getting heavy minutes and KD playing as center.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Judging the nets off their first game together is almost worse than judging us after 10-15ish games together.

They haven't had training camp together, they have had half a practice together. They are jumping into NBA competition right away.

If they were clicking on all cyllinders so fast under those circumstances I'd be very worried.

The Cavs beat the worst version of that team that they'll get and people jumping on it are only doing so in a rush to pile on. Because if that team remains healthy, the more chemistry they gain, the worse for the rest of the league playing against them it's going to get.

Well they are judging that they already winning the chip.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Can training camp improve Kyrie and Harden's defense? I dont thik so.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
leking006 wrote:

So you saying they will have better offense than this? You think they will score more than 150 a game? Offense aint the problem, it's their defense. If you are assuming that they will improve that defense with Kyrie and Harden guarding the perimeter and KD guarding opposing bigs with offenive minded coaches, I think you'll not gonna see it
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:

<snip>

Team defense is usually more than half the story.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:

So you saying they will have better offense than this? You think they will score more than 150 a game? Offense aint the problem, it's their defense. If you are assuming that they will improve that defense with Kyrie and Harden guarding the perimeter and KD guarding opposing bigs with offenive minded coaches, I think you'll not gonna see it

They scored 135 points, not 150. 22 of those points came in the 2 overtimes.
Over a 1/3 of their turnovers they just chucked the ball out of bounds (why they had 16 TO but CLE only had 10 steals). Alot of room for improvement in terms of off ball movement too. To think KD, Kyrie, and Harden would peak offensively their 1st game together is nonsensical. Of course they'll improve with time.

But I agree, their offense is much better than their defense right now.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Cowherd is spot on on this
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
leking006 wrote:

They scored 135 points, not 150. 22 of those points came in the 2 overtimes.
Over a 1/3 of their turnovers they just chucked the ball out of bounds (why they had 16 TO but CLE only had 10 steals). Alot of room for improvement in terms of off ball movement too. To think KD, Kyrie, and Harden would peak offensively their 1st game together is nonsensical. Of course they'll improve with time.

But I agree, their offense is much better than their defense right now.

You saying that they will still improve that offense, so you basically saying they gonna score around 150.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
You saying that they will still improve that offense, so you basically saying they gonna score around 150.

I'll say this slowly.
There. Were. Two. Overtimes. That. Game. 22. Out. Of. Those. 135. Points. Were. In. Two. Overtimes.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
leking006 wrote:

<snip>

Team defense with Kyrie and Harden with Dantoni and Nash as coach?

I dont think that will happen anytime soon or will happen at all. When Kyrie was with Cavs he was a hole in the defense, good thing they had other players who can defend that can help him. And I dont think Harden will suddenly become defensive minded. If that so he could have did that already with the Rockets.

Team defense will be succeasful if you have other players that cna play D and can held those who has no defense. Who in their lineup that can do that?

Last edited by leking006 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
leking006 wrote:

<snip>

Team defense with Kyrie and Harden with Dantoni and Nash as coach?

I dont think that will happen anytime soon or will happen at all. When Kyrie was with Cavs he was a hole in the defense, good thing they had other players who can defend that can help him. And I dont think Harden will suddenly become defensive minded. If that so he could have did that already with the Rockets.

Team defense will be succeasful if you have other players that cna play D and can held those who has no defense. Who in their lineup that can do that?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

No.

We don't have a rim protector. Kyree and Harden will constantly attack the middle. We also don't have enough offensive firepower to counter what they can do.

I don't even think we have enough to get passed the Clippers and even reach the finals.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

poor Durant. Maybe we can trade Kuzma for him?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
No.

We don't have a rim protector.

Still untrue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 21 of 73
Jump to: