Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
XTC wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
GME back to earth.

There’s a Reddit user Deep(bleeping)Value who has been posting screenshots of his GME holdings since last year. IIRC, he started with a 50k investment in GME around mid-2020, last week he had an account value of $47million. If those screenshots are true, he wanted to show that he hadn’t sold yet and had “diamond 💎 🖐 hands”. His latest post showed a $5million loss yesterday, if anything, redditors probably took that as a sign to take profits while its still possible.

He was the guy who got everyone onto the scheme, he'll be fine. Its everyone else who bought in when the stock was in the hundreds who have the potential to incur big losses if this thing tanks.

Mark Cuban did an AMA on WSB this morning and told people to hold.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ARK Innovation ETF will be worth more than it is now.

I go 2 years out and then rollover into more options or just pull it between 6mo to 18mo. Never wait the full 24.

can you please elaborate on this?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Buy the dip everybody

I hope you're joking, and if not, that you liquidated your position.

As I opined earlier, if GME was any more of a dog it would shed hair. The early action was based on the books drying up during the surge.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Buy the dip everybody

As I opined earlier, if GME was any more of a dog it would shed hair. The early action was based on the books drying up during the surge.

Do you think my dad was right for stopping me when I almost bought it at 86? I was mad afterward but he said it didn’t even matter that I would have made money in this instance— eventually, investing like this will cause you to lose everything.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ARK Innovation ETF will be worth more than it is now.

I go 2 years out and then rollover into more options or just pull it between 6mo to 18mo. Never wait the full 24.

can you please elaborate on this?

I look up companies and ETFs on barchart; 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, 52 week, 2 years, 5 years.

I look for ridiculous amounts of growth LT, hundreds of percentage over time.

I pretend to be a futurist and make relative predictions on where I think domestic and world trend grows. Bonus if the companies can combine to expand economic moats or work with synergy.

I'm not an expert on the greeks when it comes to option play, but I *personally* go for strike prices that are achievable, out of the money, and wait for the stock to mature. Timing in the market is also key and multiplies growth faster with option plays.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Buy the dip everybody

I moved everything I had over to BBW last week.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Buy the dip everybody

I moved everything I had over to BBW last week.

Big Beautiful Woman?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Buy the dip everybody

Do you think my dad was right for stopping me when I almost bought it at 86? I was mad afterward but he said it didn’t even matter that I would have made money in this instance— eventually, investing like this will cause you to lose everything.

As your father always used to say, "When you have kids you'll understand."
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, if your strategy is to keep doubling down at the blackjack table, it just takes one loss to wipe out all the gains, no matter how well you did in the previous X number of hands.

Also, there's a good argument that you become conditioned to a strategy that has a foundation of bad habits.

A different strategy that I think can be effective is to have two pools of money. The first one, the largest by far, is your actual portfolio, and you practice solid, long-term strategy with it. The other -- much smaller -- is the pool that you can play around with. How big should it be? How much can you afford to lose completely, chock it up as a learning experience, and still be perfectly fine because of your big portfolio?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

Putting big money into GME after the huge pop last week wasn't really investing but gambling because you either wanted to take it to the hedge funds or expected miracle returns which were never going to realized if you look at where the company is now. Investing on the other hand is looking at fundamentals of the company and hoping for incremental gains that won't net you a fortune overnight but in the long term leaves you on pretty solid footing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Putting big money into GME after the huge pop last week wasn't really investing but gambling because you either wanted to take it to the hedge funds or expected miracle returns which were never going to realized if you look at where the company is now. Investing on the other hand is looking at fundamentals of the company and hoping for incremental gains that won't net you a fortune overnight but in the long term leaves you on pretty solid footing.

100%.

If you're serious, use a proper trading platform that IS NOT Robinhood. Use practice trades overtime to build up confidence/strategy/trading plan.

I have an active account, but I love using the fake/practice account on what I would hypothetically do. Fake starting capital off Tradestation is $1,000,000. I did SOXL (one of my favorites because of it's volatility) and it reached a recent low of around 500 last Friday. I've done just 10 option contracts (like $250,000 in fake capital), but it's been as high as $75,000 in profit in less than a week.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Group project for this thread? I'm kind of curious about ETFs that were doing fine pre-pandemic, took a dive like everything else and have been steadily rising but are still under their pre-pandemic pricing.

Also, any thoughts on ENZL ETF (New Zealand)? It has been around its all-time high. I've had this since 2016. It's rebounded extremely well since March (up about 100%). I imagine it will continue to do well for a little still. But after the pandemic?

This is the Trader's cheat sheet off barchart. Hypothetically it still has room to grow. If you're going to take profit and reinvest into a different position, just know what you're getting into.

https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/ENZL/cheat-sheet

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
XTC wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
GME back to earth.

There’s a Reddit user Deep(bleeping)Value who has been posting screenshots of his GME holdings since last year. IIRC, he started with a 50k investment in GME around mid-2020, last week he had an account value of $47million. If those screenshots are true, he wanted to show that he hadn’t sold yet and had “diamond 💎 🖐 hands”. His latest post showed a $5million loss yesterday, if anything, redditors probably took that as a sign to take profits while its still possible.

He was the guy who got everyone onto the scheme, he'll be fine. Its everyone else who bought in when the stock was in the hundreds who have the potential to incur big losses if this thing tanks.

GME hired a Chief Tech Officer, so...

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

With very few exceptions, most people are better off in indexed funds through stable, reputable platforms.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

With very few exceptions, most people are better off in indexed funds through stable, reputable platforms.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

This is the Trader's cheat sheet off barchart. Hypothetically it still has room to grow. If you're going to take profit and reinvest into a different position, just know what you're getting into.

https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/ENZL/cheat-sheet

Thanks. I'm hanging on to ENZL for a little longer. New Zealand crushed it during the pandemic. Should still do reasonably well for a little while, I would think.

I cashed out of a bunch of dogs yesterday. Stuff that had been flat pre-pandemic and finally recovered. Moved that into some moats and standard index funds that will do better. Still got some house cleaning to do.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, if your strategy is to keep doubling down at the blackjack table, it just takes one loss to wipe out all the gains, no matter how well you did in the previous X number of hands.

Also, there's a good argument that you become conditioned to a strategy that has a foundation of bad habits.

A different strategy that I think can be effective is to have two pools of money. The first one, the largest by far, is your actual portfolio, and you practice solid, long-term strategy with it. The other -- much smaller -- is the pool that you can play around with. How big should it be? How much can you afford to lose completely, chock it up as a learning experience, and still be perfectly fine because of your big portfolio?

I think I mentioned this in this thread, but a while back I talked by son into starting a portfolio. Just a basic S&P 500 fund and another moat fund. I went through the math and showed him if he starts at a young age, how big a difference that makes. Pitched him on the long-term outlook. He put in money.

It did well, then the pandemic hit. So good life lesson opportunity for dad to step in. I made sure he looked at where his investment went to when the market crashed. Then showed him the recovery during the recession, said this will bounce back up, too. Think long term.

Then...I talked him into putting a little money into something speculative during the dip. He's young, he's already got most of his money into something stable. He could gamble a little. (I pushed him to see how much he would be comfortable with...basically, how much would you be okay losing? Hard for me to advise him since I wasn't the one hustling in the min. wage food service work to save up...the pain points are different.)

We looked at a few things and settled on something that completely tanked that we thought would bounce up. He eventually did. After the market recovered and then some, I had him check his portfolio again. Index funds doing great, his other stock doubled/tripled. I'm hoping going through that process with him he'll have a good mix of thinking long term and showing poise.

I know my son and your dad probably knows you. I absolutely did not bring him the GameStop trade when I was looking at it about the same time you were, CC. It's a fascinating trade and story, but honestly, at one point it's a really savvy play...but jumping in at $86, that's more like entertainment. Like going to Vegas as Larry said and putting money on a hand of cards or betting it all on red or black. I know my son has zero interest in betting his hard earned money at Vegas. That's just him. He's got a % of his portfolio in something speculative that's working out, but it's also a long-term approach and risk he was acceptable with. The bulk of his money is in super stable, standard stuff, which were the very first buys he made and things he will keep putting money into over time.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I think I mentioned this in this thread, but a while back I talked by son into starting a portfolio. Just a basic S&P 500 fund and another moat fund. I went through the math and showed him if he starts at a young age, how big a difference that makes. Pitched him on the long-term outlook. He put in money.

It did well, then the pandemic hit. So good life lesson opportunity for dad to step in. I made sure he looked at where his investment went to when the market crashed. Then showed him the recovery during the recession, said this will bounce back up, too. Think long term.

Then...I talked him into putting a little money into something speculative during the dip. He's young, he's already got most of his money into something stable. He could gamble a little. (I pushed him to see how much he would be comfortable with...basically, how much would you be okay losing? Hard for me to advise him since I wasn't the one hustling in the min. wage food service work to save up...the pain points are different.)

We looked at a few things and settled on something that completely tanked that we thought would bounce up. He eventually did. After the market recovered and then some, I had him check his portfolio again. Index funds doing great, his other stock doubled/tripled. I'm hoping going through that process with him he'll have a good mix of thinking long term and showing poise.

I know my son and your dad probably knows you. I absolutely did not bring him the GameStop trade when I was looking at it about the same time you were, CC. It's a fascinating trade and story, but honestly, at one point it's a really savvy play...but jumping in at $86, that's more like entertainment. Like going to Vegas as Larry said and putting money on a hand of cards or betting it all on red or black. I know my son has zero interest in betting his hard earned money at Vegas. That's just him. He's got a % of his portfolio in something speculative that's working out, but it's also a long-term approach and risk he was acceptable with. The bulk of his money is in super stable, standard stuff, which were the very first buys he made and things he will keep putting money into over time.

I guess hindsight is 20/20. I probably wouldn’t have held until 400 anyway. Or maybe I would have waited too long and ended up not making any money at all. Or maybe, in another universe, the stock actually would have tanked rather than continuing to rise from 86.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
XTC wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
GME back to earth.

GME the Kodak stock of 2021?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

So Gamestock thing is over?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

There's a difference between trading and investing.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

Life is tons easier when the VIX is low 20s.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

So....GME, huh?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

So....GME, huh?

They moved onto other penny stocks to pump and dump.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Bought $6500 of Moderna at 162 yesterday and $5500 of Petrobras at $7.80 yesterday. Up 9% on Petrobras but down on Moderna.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16
Jump to: