LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 3/1 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 3/1 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

stu·pid... Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-) adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est - 1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse. 2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes. 3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake. 4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.

If the Lakers cared to look how they won the last game against the Blazers, they would find several areas where they played smarter ball. If you don't want to deal with Steve Blake hitting jumpers, make him pay on the other end. Post him up, draw fouls, tire him out or have him pulled out because of a mismatch... Also, don't play under screens and sag off on a good shooter. Pretty basic concept... And if you are not going to post up a smaller guard lineup, then why do you try to run a full-court press against them? You end up playing to their strengths, not yours... Why run Turiaf on Darius Miles early in the game, when in the last game we had Lamar post up Miles and successfully cause problems throughout the game for the Blazers? And, when Lamar was on Miles in this game, we only took advantage of the post mismatch very late in the game... When you have a team in early foul trouble in the fourth quarter, keep attacking the rim, go to the post, manufacture points at the line... When you are down by three and have the ball on the offensive end on the last possession of the game, get the ball to the NBA's leading scorer instead of attacking a triple team off a screen. And if your players are prone to mental mistakes, call your last timeout to set up a play...

To win at this game, you have to play with intelligent effort. The Lakers played neither intelligent, nor with any particular effort on the defensive end until the final quarter. These are the games you have to win, if you are going to make the playoffs.

Kobe -- -- Fighting off a sinus infection, Kobe throttled things up in the third quarter when the rest of the team was not responding, as he scored 19 of his 35 points in that quarter (the rest of the team had 4 points). He did an excellent job of manufacturing points, particularly in that quarter. He went 15-15 from the line for the game and shot 10-27 overall from the floor. He led the team with 5 assists and 4 turnovers. His defense was generally soft on the night, and Blake had plenty of room to shoot. Kobe started the game slowly and gradually picked up the intensity. He had a nice no-look bounce pass to Mihm who slipped a pick and scored. He scored his first points late in the first on a couple FTs after getting an outlet pass. He turned the ball over twice in transition with some sloppy running of the break. He drew another foul on penetration and hit both FTs. He danced down the lane at the end of the first and scored a layup. He had 6 points and 3 assists after the first quarter. He stepped on the baseline for a turnover. He swished a pull-up jumper from the wing. He missed a reverse jam and a few other shots. Finally, he decided to get in the post against Blake and he overpowered him off the glass (he didn't go back to that with much purpose). He attacked at the end of the half and drew a foul, making both FTs. He swished a 17-footer straightaway. He drained a wing jumper with his heels on the three line. He spun through a double team, took a long stride and hit a hanging jumper from the FT line. He sank another long jumper with his feet on the three line. He hit a fade from the elbow off the weave. He attacked in transition and drew FTs. He continued to attack and draw FTs at the end of the third, the only Laker doing anything. After a long rest to start the fourth, he hit a jumper from about 20-feet and wanted the foul. Nice long outlet to Cook who was running the floor and it led to FTs. Lamar on Kobe: "I don't blame him shooting the ball 40 or 50 times a night," he said in the Times. "If I had his talent, I'd do the same thing. We should be embarrassed. I am."

Odom -- -- He had 17 boards in his last game against the Blazers, but just 8 in this one. He scored 16 points on 7-13 shooting and had 3 assists, 3 steals and 3 turnovers in 41:39. He hit a pull-up jumper straight away. He then seemed to disappear. He went to the bench after a couple of minutes into the second quarter. I swear I thought he had been there for the past few minutes when Meyers said it was his first rest of the night. The difference between his aggression in this game and the last Blazer match up was night and day. He bricked a baseline jumper badly. He hit a jumphook from the left block. For some reason he sagged way too far off Blake on a switch and gave up an open three. He attacked in transition aggressively and drew FTs. He hit a pull-up jumper with his feet on the three line in a two-for-one situation. He blew an alley-oop as his layup rattled out. He charged, attacking to his left. He blew past Skinner with ease for a layup. He posted up Miles and missed a jumphook from a foot away. He bricked badly on a layup, off the glass no rim. He busted down court on the break, kept running and Walton found him with a bounce pass for a dunk. He tried to create off the dribble to get past Miles rather than posting him up and he lost the ball. Finally, he posted up on Miles, spun around him, pumped faked the help defender and scored a layup with a minute left. He then took an offensive board away from Miles and scored after a critical miss by Kobe with under a minute left. Too little, too late against Miles.

Mihm -- -- Chris was the only starter not to get to double figures. The Lakers were better when they went with a smaller lineup to match up against the Blazers small lineups. He scored 6 points on 3-6 shooting, had 3 boards and 3 turnovers in 25 minutes. He scored a layup, slipping a pick and getting the bounce pass from Kobe for a layup. He hit a nice jumphook off the left block. He swatted penetration with some quick reaction in semi-transition. He swished a 15-footer straight away. He picked up his second foul at the end of the first and had to sit. He didn't do much the rest of the game.

Smush -- -- Down by three, after a big defensive stop, we bring the ball up court, Smush then attacks around a screen into a triple team and loses the ball for a dunk the other way with 10 seconds left. Ballgame. Smush was playing okay before that, although his intensity seemed to only pick up late in the game. He had 14 points on 6-10 shooting, 6 boards and 2 assists with 3 turnovers. He buried a three from the corner. He hit a long jumper again from the side, this time his foot on the three line. He attacked the lane and hit a teardrop. He attacked again and got swatted. Good pass deflection on a double and it resulted in a fastbreak dunk for Lamar. He drained a wing three midway through the fourth. He scored a layup when his man left him alone cutting to the hoop and Luke found him. He pushed up the break, got into the lane and spun up a layup with 1:39 left and cut the lead to three. That was a huge play. Then, he had the crushing turnover after we brought the ball up and didn't look like we knew what we wanted to do.

Cook -- -- He gave up two offensive boards to his man and sagged too far off a pick and roll to give Blake an open jumper in crunch time. He got a lecture from Phil coming back to the bench after that one. Not good play from Cook on the defensive end, although he was part of the unit that helped the Lakers make a fourth-quarter comeback. Cook finished with 10 points on 4-9 shooting, 3 boards and 1 block in 23 minutes. He dunked off a no-look hand-off from Mihm. He missed several shots and then went to the bench midway through the first after picking up a couple of cheap fouls. He got sealed badly by Randolph and gave up a layup. He was benched just a few minutes into the third for Turiaf. He swished a wing jumper to start the fourth. He hit a jumper from the other side on a kickout from Lamar. He hit a short baseline jumper on a feed under the basket from Luke. He was fouled by Randolph, running the floor midway through the fourth, he hit both FTs.

Kwame -- -- Not much from Kwame in this game, other than getting hit in the head by an entry pass. He scored 1 points in 15 minutes and went 1-4 from the FT line. He also had 2 boards. Good first defensive stand against his man and he forced a turnover. He drew a foul after getting shoved under the hoop trying to score. He blew yet another point-blank shot, falling away from the rim. He attacked off the dribble and drew FTs, made one.

George -- -- Nice help D swat on Miles from behind. Kobe found him in transition and Devean hit a baseline jumper. He hit a jumper on the break, but he should have pitched it to the middle on the odd-number advantage, probably would have resulted in a layup on the other side of the court. Again, he messed up a break with flat pass that was easily picked off.

Walton -- -- Luke clearly was one of the stand-out players in this game. He captained the second unit to start the fourth quarter and dug the Lakers out from a hole. He ended up with 7 points on 2-3 shooting, 2 boards, 3 assists and a steal in his 19 minutes. He stripped the ball from Miles in the post. He attacked, faked the pass and hit the floater. Superb push up of the fast break, going behind his back, then bounce passing to Lamar on the wing for a dunk. He drew a crowd in the lane, then kicked it to Cook, who hit a jumper as Luke was fouled under the hoop (Luke hit the FT). Out of a timeout, Luke attacked off the dribble, rocked back on the dribble, crossed over then blew past Skinner for a layup. Nice look spotting Smush open under the hoop for a layup. He hit a couple of FTs off a pick and roll with Kobe. He caused a turnover on the other end and it led to a fastbreak score. Good game from him, one of the few this season.

Turiaf -- -- In for Mihm with Kwame moving to C at the end of the first. He had to cover Miles, however...not sure what we were thinking with that sub. He picked up his first foul on a reach in mid court. He picked up his second foul shortly later on an And-1 to Miles and he had to sit. In at the 8:35 mark of the third, he was called for a foul on a defensive rebound. He then drew a clear-out foul on Randolph who tried to take Ronny off the dribble. Ronny tried to draw a charge on a drive by Dixon but was whistled for his fourth foul. Ronny picked up his fifth foul when Randolph was trying to create on him, looked like Turiaf played solid D until he put his roof down a little too low to draw the whistle. He had to sit at the 6 minute mark with his 5th foul. He had 1 board in his 4:56 of action.

Vujacic -- -- Sasha was pretty much watching from the pine in this game. He played just 6:41 and had no points and 1 board. He picked up his dribble in the corner after crossing half court, got double teamed and turned the ball over. He missed a layup on an attack to his left. He gave up an easy layup to Telfair and then got benched.

Phil -- -- Turiaf on Miles? Where's the Odom-Miles matchup we put in the last game?... Where was Kobe in the post against Blake?... Very sluggish effort and little purpose in the attack. We deviated from the game plan used the last time we faced the Blazers... The Lakers continued to play sluggish and soft to start the second half. Phil took a quick timeout. That didn't work. He then subbed out Cook for Turiaf at the 8:35 mark of the third... We were full-court pressing the small guard lineup and getting beat easily for layups or dunks... The Lakers cut the lead to start the fourth with a Cook, Lamar, Walton, George, Smush lineup. With Walton running the offense and some hustle on D by that unit, they made a dent in the lead. They started to sputter and Phil finally brought Kobe back in at the 7:11 mark after calling a timeout... "It was the second time that Blake has scored really big against us in critical situations," Phil said in the Times. If you are having trouble with Blake on the defensive end, why don't you go at him in the post at the other end? You did that in the last game. Damn...
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:

Im really upset we didnt take advantage of their weak front court. They didnt have Pryz nor Theo. I would of liked to see us attack the basket more.

Early on I felt we kept settling for outside jumpers way too much.

Theirs one play in the first quarter that really bugged me. Kobe had Blake on his back in one of his easy spot up shots...but instead he decides to pass it to Mihm who was near the three point line. And of course Mihm had to take the shot cause the clock was ticking. I would of rather have Kobe take that shot than pass it out. Kobe needs to either balance his passive and agressive mode throughout the whole game or just be agressive the whole game. No more of this half and half stuff. Its not working.

Mihm played really bad too. Dissapointed in his game. He doesnt hustle like he use to anymore. But Ill excuse him cause of his injury.

Its becoming really easy to beat our team now. Teams just need to attack the hoop. Our bigs get in foul trouble really easy and our guards cant stop nothing.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:

You couldn't have started your piece w/ a more appropriate word.

Tonights game was huge. They needed it badly. If this team goes lotto...it'll be because of losses like tonight, verse ATL, etc etc.

They don't play w/ fire on a consistent basis...and are indeed a particularly stupid collection of ballplayers.

DG looks like a genius playing w/ this crew. No offense to him (ok, a little offense)....but when he is considered one of your smarter players....you know your teams IQ is low.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject:

Way to hold off the surging Sacramento Kings :roll:

I think the assumption that the post-all star break schedule would assure the Lakers of a playoff spot (thus no moves needed before the deadline) is being proven tragically wrong
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- BLAZERS - 3/1 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
To win at this game, you have to play with intelligent effort. The Lakers played neither intelligent, nor with any particular effort on the defensive end until the final quarter. These are the games you have to win, if you are going to make the playoffs.

As always, thoroughly enjoyed your analysis - especially of a BAD game. There must have been a game plan, one would think, of how the Lakers wanted to play this game. With PJ/Coaches getting more and more frustrated and calling TOs to get into the players' grills - anticipating more changes in the PT and rotation/substitution patterns.

Smush/Cookie vs. Sasha/Turiaff - if only Smush & Cookie would give 3/4 the concentratin/confidence they had on the offensive end to their defense, this might be a different story. If only Smush would contest every shot (AT LEAST RAISE HIS HANDS) and Cookie not just sight-seeing on defense - oh well. Maybe it is time for Sasha & Turiaff to get even more PT since they generally always give more consistent effort on offense AND defense.

btw: DB - will Aaron McKie actually play this season? If he is not going to play, why didn't they waive him to get another player?
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:

*belch*

That's about all I have to say about this game and this season.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:

I put the blame mostly on Phil for this loss
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject:

That good feeling I had before the game about the Lakers totally went away after seeing the pacing in the 1st quarter...

blah!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB...
we still have a month and half before a final balance... but after four months it seems to me that not only the management and not only these players without pride but also phil jackson has great responsabilities if this team plays so badly... i had last summer many doubts about jackson's comeback... i thought that when you go with a young team, it's also better to go with a young coach... but i saw some improvements -better offensive spacing, better defensive rotations... and -as i posted here many times- you can't draw blood from stones... so until the end of january i appreciated jackson's work... but now it's every game more evident that something in jackson's vision doesn't work... maybe there's any vision... as motivator, we can already conclude that jackson hasn't got anything out of odom and kwame... the triple post offense is still a mystery for these players... our defensive strategy becomes worse... and when after the 81 points jackson said ok it's wonderful but as coach i want to win not with individual performances but with the team, from that moment we began to decline... as i said many times, i absolutely love teamwork, but once again it seems to me that jackson thinks that our strenght is in his strategy, while it's evident that our only strenght is kobe bryant... i know, it's very difficult to coach these players... stupid, as you said, and without character... but so far it seems to me more and more that this team's strategy looks like a failure...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:

George W Buss wrote:
I put the blame mostly on Phil for this loss
Disagree. For the poster that stated that a "young" coach was needed for this "young team" - I disagree 1000%! This/Any young coach would have lost it way before now! You NEED Veteran Coaches, such as what the Lakers have, to have any chance of winning because they have already gone through this before, know what works (i.e. Triangle does work because other offense systems would prompt even more needless 3 point shots), has respect with the referees and/or would solict fear from the other coaches.

Imagine what a young coach would have done on a team that doesn't hustle, know the basics of Basketball 101 and doesn't have any pride - PLUS, you would have certainly lost Kobe a long time ago and he probably would be on another team. Hey, the talent is so low that it needs a system to max out their talents - just compare it to teams such as the Hawks, Bobcats, etc. - yet the Lakers have a better record than these teams
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject:

mad chinaman, the lakers have a better record than other young teams only because they have the best player on this planet... of course i don't know what's the better coaching solution with these players and this team... but i see what mike d'antoni is doing with the suns (last year preseason's rankings had phoenix at 11th in west...)... i see what byron scott is doing with a young team like the hornets... and i think that brian shaw is a smart guy, with a good relationship with kobe... i repeat, i appreciate what phil jackson did until january... but it's not that jackson is the only coach on this planet and it's not that the triple post offense is the only strategy...
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject:

Didn't realize #8 was sick.... He got no help tonight. PJ you said Bynum would play more in the second half of the season.......He has barely played. He could not of done worse than Brown last night.....
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, but Turiaf 5 fouls in 4:56 minutes
cook43
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:

venicebeach wrote:
Thanks DB, but Turiaf 5 fouls in 4:56 minutes

Agreed....
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

After penciling every Laker game on my calendar for years and years I am ready to call it quits on watching. I can read these the next day and spare myself the agony of wasted potential.

They are stupid but so is Phil. They make costly misjudgments but so does Mitch. They aren't hustling and either is management. I think the blame comes from the top and trickles all the way through an entire organization that is failing to see what the rest of the fans saw a long time ago. This is not a quality team. It is missing 2 good pieces--it was coming in to last season and this season too. Until the powers that be address that issue it doesn't matter what the young duds do.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:

Phil's fault.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:

the league has discovered the wining formula against the lakers:

general concept:
although the defense has improved from last year, there are clear problems with the perimeter defense.

quick guards can easily penetrate, causing the defense to make make quick adjustments.

the laker's interior opens up after the 2nd defensive switch, since many of the laker defenders DO NOT keep their arms up (unless wanting to steal), the passes around the horn and into the post come way too easily.

so many of the teams know that to beat the lakers, you simply need to stay close. lakers have become progressively suspect in late game defense.

teams can almost rest assured that poor decisions and horrendous free throw shooting are part of the lakers makeup.

defensive rebounding has become a notable weakness.

also, aside from kobe, what laker comes up with loose balls in the post? rarely chris and kwame. this is an issue of effort.

lakers need to look in the mirror, because a few of these bad habits are becoming chronic.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

jeremysnow wrote:
the league has discovered the wining formula against the lakers:

general concept:
although the defense has improved from last year, there are clear problems with the perimeter defense.

quick guards can easily penetrate, causing the defense to make make quick adjustments.

the laker's interior opens up after the 2nd defensive switch, since many of the laker defenders DO NOT keep their arms up (unless wanting to steal), the passes around the horn and into the post come way too easily.

so many of the teams know that to beat the lakers, you simply need to stay close. lakers have become progressively suspect in late game defense.

teams can almost rest assured that poor decisions and horrendous free throw shooting are part of the lakers makeup.

defensive rebounding has become a notable weakness.

also, aside from kobe, what laker comes up with loose balls in the post? rarely chris and kwame. this is an issue of effort.

lakers need to look in the mirror, because a few of these bad habits are becoming chronic.

Nice summary.

I was pretty irritated at that Steve Blake open jumper late in the game off the screen. Kobe didn't even *try* to fight through it, and Cook disappeared on the help.

Very disappointing, especially since we saw how good they could be defensively at the begining of the year.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

At times it's almost like watching a pre-season game, too bad these games actually count.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

DB you willingness to make these game summaries is 2nd only to Kobe's willingness to put up with this team great job.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

When your losing streak is something long, who ya gonna call?

Streakbusters!

Once again, the Lakers prove to be the remedy for what ails you. Lackadaisical defense, spotty offense, poor game recognition = another disappointing loss. Hard to imagine that the Lakers didn't learn anything from playing this team just last week.

NKPOG = Luke. He was a real spark, played an intelligent game (in contrast to the ROT), and looked like the playmaking Luke of old. Welcome back.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Lamar on Kobe: "I don't blame him shooting the ball 40 or 50 times a night," he said in the Times. "If I had his talent, I'd do the same thing. We should be embarrassed. I am."

This quote irritates me.

Stop lying Lamar. You aren't embarrased, you never have been. If you were, you'd show up every night instead of every 4 or 5 nights.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, that couldnt have been easy to write. One thing we (the fans) are hopefully learning from this season is not to get overconfident, one game we look like worldbeaters the next we look like an expansion team.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:

I hate Smush's game. Tonight, THAT was the Real Smush Parker. Why anyone would prefer a dumb athlete over heady, smart, effort PLAYERS, is beyond me.

Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

We are still in the playoffs.

I think with the games we have left, destiny is in our own hands.

The team is very inconsistent, but one thing they have been able to do is stay in the playoff 8.

We need one 3-4 win streak to really solidify ourselves as a playoff team. I think that's achievable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: