Derek Chauvin trial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Barry Brodd's, (defense expert on the use of force witness), refusal to admit Chauvin's knee was on top of George Floyd's neck ruined his credibility. He's asking you not to believe your lying eyes.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Both sides rest. Closing arguments and jury instructions Monday.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject:

So Monday will decide what happens?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:

Depends on how long the jury deliberates. But also, given the publicity and the tension all around, if the jury tells the judge they've reached a verdict, the judge could decide to wait (for example, to the next day), which will give law enforcement more time to prepare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

Depends on how long the jury deliberates. But also, given the publicity and the tension all around, if the jury tells the judge they've reached a verdict, the judge could decide to wait (for example, to the next day), which will give law enforcement more time to prepare.

Aww got you. Thanks!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
dcastillo wrote:

I detect you thinking Chauvin may be found not guilty and LE has to prepare for riots.

I don't think he'll be found not guilty. I anticipate a hung jury. I also don't think this will happen Monday.

If the jury comes back quickly I think it will mean a guilty verdict. If the deliberation is elongated I think it will mean a hung jury.

Do you think jury instructions will be made public? They will play a large part in the decision. If the public is made aware of them they may weigh heavily on the acceptance of the verdict.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately I think a hung jury is the more likely outcome. Not because the guilt isn’t obvious, it’s the just way this country is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I detect you thinking Chauvin may be found not guilty and LE has to prepare for riots.

I don't think he'll be found not guilty. I anticipate a hung jury. I also don't think this will happen Monday.

Don't read too much into what I said. There are three possible outcomes, and the law enforcement have to have a plan in place for all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Don't read too much into what I said. There are three possible outcomes, and the law enforcement have to have a plan in place for all of them.

If I may? What are those possibilities and what would be the preps for each?

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I doubt that the jury hangs on all counts.

Most likely is hung jury on Murder 2, guilty on Murder 3 & Manslaughter.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If I may? What are those possibilities and what would be the preps for each?

Conviction
Acquittal
Hung jury

Cops need to prepare for the worst, which is wide spread civil unrest. And have plans for everything between that and nothing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota Deploys National Guard
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Definitely agree with you on the latter 2. Still think he could be found guilty on 2nd degree murder, but wouldn't surprise me at all if it's hung there or that he could even be acquitted on that charge. Not because he should be, mind you. There is no doubt in my mind that he's guilty of all charges.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

My best guess is there’s a better than even chance he is convicted on the lowest charge, a less than even chance on the middle, and a really slim chance on murder 2.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Can you have a hung jury and a guilty verdict in charges? Asking can Chauvin get a hung jury and a guilty verdict in this trial? If so can the hung jury cause a retrial on that charge?

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Can you have hung jury and guilty verdicts in filings? Asking can Chauvin get a hung jury and a guilty verdict in this trial? If so can the hung jury cause a retrial of that charge?

He can be convicted on one or more charges (for example on manslaughter) and the jury can be hung on other charges.

Each charge is considered separately. He would be sentenced on the guilty verdict(s). That's why they offer multiple charges to the jury, as I understand it, so that if they think he is guilty but not to the level of the highest charge, they have options.

Is that what you are asking?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Whomever would be a holdout on a case like this is likely going to be doing so out of an outright unwillingness to hold Chauvin accountable. But I suppose they could be talked into the lesser charge in order to get things over with.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Can you have hung jury and guilty verdicts in filings? Asking can Chauvin get a hung jury and a guilty verdict in this trial? If so can the hung jury cause a retrial of that charge?

He can be convicted on one or more charges (for example on manslaughter) and the jury can be hung on other charges.

Each charge is considered separately. He would be sentenced on the guilty verdict(s). That's why they offer multiple charges to the jury, as I understand it, so that if they think he is guilty but not to the level of the highest charge, they have options.

I think he was asking whether they could later retry him on the charges the jury was hung on, and the answer is yes. That would only be likely if they are hung on all charges though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Yes. That's what I thought. It's a reason I wanted any and all charges pertinent be filed. Find him guilty of multiple charges and give him the max on each he's found guilty of. Also have the sentences served consecutively.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I think he was asking whether they could later retry him on the charges the jury was hung on, and the answer is yes. That would only be likely if they are hung on all charges though.

Maybe, you have more experience with interpreting Jodeke-speak than I do
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Not really, you're both right in a sense.

I thought you could retry on a hung jury charge, though it's most likely not to happen. You can reach verdicts on some charges and hang on others.

I didn't know the jury had to hang on all charges in order to retry if only one charge is hung.

Damn! Am I that confusing?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I thought you could retry on a hung jury charge, though it's most likely not to happen. You can reach verdicts on some charges and hang on others.

I didn't know the jury had to hang on all charges in order to retry if only one charge is hung.

They don’t have to hang on all. The prosecutor can choose to retry any charge where they don’t reach a verdict. So if they convict of manslaughter, for example, but can’t reach a verdict on murder 2, he can try again on murder 2. The reality is that if they get any conviction they rarely go back to the other charges. But they can.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

They don’t have to hang on all. The prosecutor can choose to retry any charge where they don’t reach a verdict. So if they convict of manslaughter, for example, but can’t reach a verdict on murder 2, he can try again on murder 2. The reality is that if they get any conviction they rarely go back to the other charges. But they can.

That's what I thought. I ask questions I think I know the answers to for validation.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SweetP wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
SweetP wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

That's what I thought. I ask questions I think I know the answers to for validation.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

Out of curiosity, why did you twice respond word for word the same to the same post over 14 hours apart?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11
Jump to: