President of Haiti Assassinated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: President of Haiti Assassinated

https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-haiti-government-and-politics-b56a0f8fec0832028bdc51e8d59c6af2

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject:

Haiti has been a mess as far back as I can remember. I used to see many Haitians in the Dominican Republic . . . when I would go there, on vacation (about 5 times total). Haiti and the Dominican Republic are next to each other, both share the same island. In the past, that island, Hispaniola, used to be two-thirds Haiti & one-third the Dominican Republic. Now, it's reversed.

The Dominican Republic is not a rich country, but Haiti is even poorer. As a result, many Haitians would sneak into the Dominican Republic, trying to make a better life. In the Dominican Republic, some Haitians would be discriminated against . . . by Dominicans, just because Haitians tended to have a darker skin. This last part is what I saw (and heard).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

Regime change by assassination is rarely productive. If there is a revolution that ousts a leader who is later executed (example: Mussolini), that's different.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Haiti has been a mess as far back as I can remember. I used to see many Haitians in the Dominican Republic . . . when I would go there, on vacation (about 5 times total). Haiti and the Dominican Republic are next to each other, both share the same island. In the past, that island, Hispaniola, used to be two-thirds Haiti & one-third the Dominican Republic. Now, it's reversed.

The Dominican Republic is not a rich country, but Haiti is even poorer. As a result, many Haitians would sneak into the Dominican Republic, trying to make a better life. In the Dominican Republic, some Haitians would be discriminated against . . . by Dominicans, just because Haitians tended to have a darker skin. This last part is what I saw (and heard).

Is it easy to tell Haitians apart from Dominicans? I've been there twice and I assumed everyone I interacted with/saw were Dominicans.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I had help: The Dominicans I was with would point out Haitians (to me).

Also, Haitians have a different accent when speaking Spanish . . . than the Dominicans do . . . which makes sense, since Spanish is not their (Haitians') first language.

In general, from my view, Haitians have less European features than do Dominicans, but they both seem to have African ancestry.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Haiti is primarily a black nation, ethnically, while the Dominican Republic leans far more Latin, but with a mix of ethnicities.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Regime change by assassination is rarely productive. If there is a revolution that ousts a leader who is later executed (example: Mussolini), that's different.

Maybe not that Maurice Bishop overthrow/execution thing and then that subsequent hasty US invasion thing.

You say that you would like to have a revolution? Well, you know, we would all like to have your head examined and potentially changed. --Beatles lyric
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: