19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I'm all for giving people chances to learn and change. But this coupled with the Nigeria comment he made the same day just show he's either very ignorant and xenophobic or knows saying these things will draw attention so his next show has higher ratings.

This is the problem with "experts" being characters on tv. You don't know if they mean what they're saying or if it's just part of their character. And I'm not sure which is worse.

People don't say the things he has said unless it is part of their actual character—or more accurately, the lack thereof. He's a willfully ignorant, misogynist and bigot. The "it's just a persona for the cameras" nonsense is just that—absolute nonsense. Just because his employers gladly accept and exploit that to get attention for their network doesn't alleviate or diminish that fact or his responsibility for that lack of decency and character.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SAS spent a great part of FirstTake this morning apologizing to Shohei Ohtanito and the Asian community for what he termed his ignorance. He said Ohtanito speaks three languages. That kinda puts some shade on his apology.

Shohei was on the show. He speaks English better than a great number of Americans, myself included. His enunciation and correctness of sentence speaking structure was surprising. Before I heard him speak and knowing what SAS said I thought Ohtanito couldn't speak English. His command of the langue is excellent.

I love SAS's borrowed quote. "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 1 language? American

Typical douchebag, non-apology from Screamin' A$$ Smith. Divert from his accountability to make others the problem. The idea that people keep excusing his arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

Explained in response to panamaniac above. It's what he's PAID to be. That comes from a assitant producer who works for ESPN.

And that’s part of the problem. He’s paid to play a character (and a vapid one). Eventually it goes to his head and thinks he can get away with saying anything he wants because he’s “just being Stephen A.”.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
^ I'm all for giving people chances to learn and change. But this coupled with the Nigeria comment he made the same day just show he's either very ignorant and xenophobic or knows saying these things will draw attention so his next show has higher ratings.

This is the problem with "experts" being characters on tv. You don't know if they mean what they're saying or if it's just part of their character. And I'm not sure which is worse.

People don't say the things he has said unless it is part of their actual character—or more accurately, the lack thereof. He's a willfully ignorant, misogynist and bigot. The "it's just a persona for the cameras" nonsense is just that—absolute nonsense. Just because his employers gladly accept and exploit that to get attention for their network doesn't alleviate or diminish that fact or his responsibility for that lack of decency and character.

I didn't mean that it would excuse it if "it's just part of the persona". I actually think it might be worse because it would mean he's aware of what he's saying and doesn't care about how harmful it can be.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
SAS spent a great part of FirstTake this morning apologizing to Shohei Ohtanito and the Asian community for what he termed his ignorance. He said Ohtanito speaks three languages. That kinda puts some shade on his apology.

Shohei was on the show. He speaks English better than a great number of Americans, myself included. His enunciation and correctness of sentence speaking structure was surprising. Before I heard him speak and knowing what SAS said I thought Ohtanito couldn't speak English. His command of the langue is excellent.

I love SAS's borrowed quote. "What do you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Trilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bilingual. What do you call a person who speaks 1 language? American

Typical douchebag, non-apology from Screamin' A$$ Smith. Divert from his accountability to make others the problem. The idea that people keep excusing his arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

Explained in response to panamaniac above. It's what he's PAID to be. That comes from a assitant producer who works for ESPN.

And that’s part of the problem. He’s paid to play a character (and a vapid one). Eventually it goes to his head and thinks he can get away with saying anything he wants because he’s “just being Stephen A.”.

Also from the same employee, he has the big head.

Relating to the poll. IMO he should be counseled. His comments are sometime over the top.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

They won't fire him until they fire him. It'll happen eventually. He has to say something along the lines of Jimmy The Greek is all. Things like that take time, no one is forever. If they were, Bobby Knight would've finished his career at Indiana. I know he choked a kid, but still, pundits have been fired for making comments, so I don't need to use perspective on that comparison. A racial comment is typically enough to do it. He just hasn't said one that is so beyond the pale that BSPN can't tolerate the backlash. And let's be honest. It's still quasi acceptable to many to make fun of Asians whereas other racial groups woulda gotten him fired if he said something similar about them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
They won't fire him until they fire him. It'll happen eventually. He has to say something along the lines of Jimmy The Greek is all. Things like that take time, no one is forever. If they were, Bobby Knight would've finished his career at Indiana. I know he choked a kid, but still, pundits have been fired for making comments, so I don't need to use perspective on that comparison. A racial comment is typically enough to do it. He just hasn't said one that is so beyond the pale that BSPN can't tolerate the backlash. And let's be honest. It's still quasi acceptable to many to make fun of Asians whereas other racial groups woulda gotten him fired if he said something similar about them.

I like the movie El Dorado but this scene always gets under my skin and raises ire in me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I like the movie El Dorado but this scene always gets under my skin and raises ire in me.

Jodie, I doubt you ever peeped Sixteen Candles (1984). It was a John Hughes teen movie. A well-loved flick, I've seen it since it was new a thousand times on telly, w/ no cuts. That whole movie was the scene in El Dorado. They had an Asian character called Long Duk Dong and they made many Asian related cracks and stereotypes and generally used the guy as a comic foil to great effect. He was a straight actor. Name is Gedde Watanabe, Japanese. He was also in Gung Ho w/ Keaton in 85.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Duk_Dong

There was another Asian character like that in Revenge Of The Nerds, also in 1984. Same basic thing, funny Asian comic foil.

Strangely enough, again in 84, you had Mr. Miyagi, who was beautifully acted and portrayed as a whole person and someone w/ character and honor. However, even he played a milder version of the Asian comic foil in the show Happy Days before getting that movie.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject:

SAS will get away with it. He once dropped an N-bomb on live TV, then came back and said absolutely no I did not say that.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Jodie, I doubt you ever peeped Sixteen Candles (1984). It was a John Hughes teen movie. A well-loved flick, I've seen it since it was new a thousand times on telly, w/ no cuts. That whole movie was the scene in El Dorado. They had an Asian character called Long Duk Dong and they made many Asian related cracks and stereotypes and generally used the guy as a comic foil to great effect. He was a straight actor. Name is Gedde Watanabe, Japanese. He was also in Gung Ho w/ Keaton in 85.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Duk_Dong

There was another Asian character like that in Revenge Of The Nerds, also in 1984. Same basic thing, funny Asian comic foil.

Strangely enough, again in 84, you had Mr. Miyagi, who was beautifully acted and portrayed as a whole person and someone w/ character and honor. However, even he played a milder version of the Asian comic foil in the show Happy Days before getting that movie.

I'm not familiar with any prominent Asian actors/actresses to use as an example. I'll shortlist another ethnicity and say without Stepin Fetchit, there would be no Denzel Washington. Without Louise Beavers, there would be no Halle Berry.

Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Is what he said disgusting and racist? Yes. Is it his job to be disgusting and racist (on occasion)? Yes.

I dunno, ESPN might just give him a raise.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Kwame Brown weighs in:

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-stephen-a-smith-apologised-to-everyone-apart-from-me-kwame-brown-blasts-the-analyst-amid-his-racist-comments-against-the-nigerian-team-and-shohei-ohtani/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

I didn't mean that it would excuse it if "it's just part of the persona". I actually think it might be worse because it would mean he's aware of what he's saying and doesn't care about how harmful it can be.

I know you didn't. I was addressing the overall go to people resort to: The "Persona" Lie. It's not a persona, it's him the person. It's not an act, no matter how much those who excuse him and accommodate him claim it to be. The things he says come from are genuinely the person and they arise from the willful ignorance and the "I'm never wrong, you all just don't get it" arrogance that has manifested from people excusing his (bleep) through out the years.

The fact that ESPN exploits that to package and market it doesn't make him just an "act" and not the misogynist and bigot he is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

His Nigerian rant was equally as bad. But it keeps espn in the news so they win
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

He is a clown, I don't see the attraction and never have honestly unless you buy that he is "passionate" instead of just a blowhard.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
SAS will get away with it. He once dropped an N-bomb on live TV, then came back and said absolutely no I did not say that.

Did Stephen A. Smith Really Say the ‘N’ Word Live on ESPN … Again? (Watch)

Scroll down to the video. It's a little iffy in this video.

LINK

Did he or did he not say the N word. In this video it's kinda clear to me. Make your own judgment,

LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He is a clown, I don't see the attraction and never have honestly unless you buy that he is "passionate" instead of just a blowhard.

He's playing a role. His shtick is being loud and controversial. ESPN pays him to be that way. He's one of the network's highest paid employees, $12 million annually because he a huge draw. Do you think they would pay that much if he wasn't making money for them? It's all about the Benjamins

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Money doesn't make Screamin' Ass Smith any less offensive. Excusing his behavior is for those who are okay with his insults and racial insensitivities.

Screw him (and them).

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Money doesn't make Screamin' Ass Smith any less offensive. Excusing his behavior is for those who are okay with his insults and racial insensitivities.

Screw him (and them).

If this is meant for me, I'm not excusing him. He sometimes grates my last nerve.

I think he's that way because he's making $12 million annually for being that way. As I've said in past posts, it's his shtick. I'd do it for that kind of money. I don't think many, if any here, wouldn't.

It isn't mandatory to watch him. If you don't like him, don't watch. What's I find funny is how many complain about him but still watch him.

As one of my favorite basketball analyst Kendrick Perkins would say CARRY ON!!

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

You're okay by me, jodeke.

Trump and Screamin A are on the same side of the racial insensitivity spectrum, with Trump being highly offensive and Screamin A being less than that, but that's still not a good thing.

I don't have cable, and I don't watch ESPN, anymore. I watch little to no sports, now, but I will avoid Screamin Ass Smith (and Trump) whenever I can.

That's my right as a citizen (and a human).

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Screw him (and them).

If this is meant for me, I'm not excusing him. He sometimes grates my last nerve.

I think he's that way because he's making $12 million annually for being that way. As I've said in past posts, it's his shtick. I'd do it for that kind of money. I don't think many, if any here, wouldn't.

It isn't mandatory to watch him. If you don't like him, don't watch. What's I find funny is how many complain about him but still watch him.

Here's the thing jo. When you repeatedly say it's just a schtick, you not only are excusing SAS's comments, you are also minimizing them. As I said before, someone doesn't say the horrible things he has said simply for a paycheck or ratings. He says those horrible things because he is a horrible person—end of story.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Here's the thing jo. When you repeatedly say it's just a schtick, you not only are excusing SAS's comments, you are also minimizing them. As I said before, someone doesn't say the horrible things he has said simply for a paycheck or ratings. He says those horrible things because he is a horrible person—end of story.

Just to add to your point. One could say Fox News hosts are just doing a "schtick". When they dog whistle or are just overtly racist.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Screw him (and them).

I'm not excusing him, I'm saying his shtick is why ESPN pays him so much. You say that's excusing him, that's on you. I'm not excusing him. I've also said he sometimes grates my last nerve why do you gloss over that? Read the bold green italicized in the post above.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone think he should apologize to Kwamaaay Brown? If so or if not, why?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Screw him (and them).

I'm not excusing him, I'm saying his shtick is why ESPN pays him so much. You say that's excusing him, that's on you. I'm not excusing him.

Wrong on both counts:

jodeke wrote:
As I've said in past posts, it's his shtick.I'd do it for that kind of money. I don't think many, if any here, wouldn't.

Those words alone, your words, both excuse and diminish the harmful nature of what you incorrectly refer to as "schtick". That's not on me at all.

I wouldn't say those things for money, and it's unfortunate that you say you would.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Screw him (and them).

I'm not excusing him, I'm saying his shtick is why ESPN pays him so much. You say that's excusing him, that's on you. I'm not excusing him.

Wrong on both counts:

jodeke wrote:
As I've said in past posts, it's his shtick.I'd do it for that kind of money. I don't think many, if any here, wouldn't.

Those words alone, your words, both excuse and diminish the harmful nature of what you incorrectly refer to as "schtick". That's not on me at all.

I wouldn't say those things for money, and it's unfortunate that you say you would.

You're misunderstanding what I'm meaning.

I wouldn't say some things that SAS says. I'm saying I'd use his loud mouth, controversial shtick to make the money he's making.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: