Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Olympics have undergone changes that caused me to lose interest in the games. Badminton, Beach volleyball, Surfing, Kiteboarding, Breakdancing, Skateboarding. I've missed the basketball games. I haven't found an Olympic schedule and where to watch.

I like the badminton ones but that's cause I played it as a child. The good ones that I like are track & fields, swimming, and surprisingly gymnastic/weightlifting/diving
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Olympics have undergone changes that caused me to lose interest in the games. Badminton, Beach volleyball, Surfing, Kiteboarding, Breakdancing, Skateboarding. I've missed the basketball games. I haven't found an Olympic schedule and where to watch.

To me basketball was never really the highlight of the games. Sure it fits in with summer sports, but there is better play in the regular season NBA than the Olympic basketball tournament. When I think of the Olympics, its the traditional sports like track and field, swimming, gymnastics, combat sports, etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Track & Field, boxing, gymnastics, ice skating, diving, swimming are Olympics for me. Track & Field #1. How in the hell can the committee make Breakdancing an Olympic competition. What in the hell are the criteria? Who can make the most spins on their head?SMH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Track & Field, boxing, gymnastics, ice skating, diving, swimming are Olympics for me. Track & Field #1. How in the hell can the committee make Breakdancing an Olympic competition. What in the hell are the criteria? Who can make the most spins on their head?SMH

Breaking is judged just like any of the other artistic sports (figure skating, gymnastics, diving, etc.). It's based on subjective judging by experts in the art form, not objective results (like track, swimming, etc). There is criteria that it is judged on that you don't understand because you don't follow it.

Breaking is one of the coolest and most physically demanding dance styles ever created. It's like a combination of gymnastics, street dance, martial arts like capoeira, tricking all into one. Morgan Hamm, the USA gymnast, even took a popular move from breaking (air flare) and incorporated it into his gymnastics floor routine. They thought it was a fad in the 80's but it has stuck around and today is more popular globally than ever before.

It is weird to see it as an Olympic competition though. Because I think what constitutes as "breaking" is so wide-ranging that it is tough to judge as an art form and what is a "better" breaking performance vs. another is so subjective.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Durant in foul trouble = team USA -14 in the 3rd q.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Breaking is judged just like any of the other artistic sports (figure skating, gymnastics, diving, etc.). It's based on subjective judging by experts in the art form, not objective results (like track, swimming, etc). There is criteria that it is judged on that you don't understand because you don't follow it.

Breaking is one of the coolest and most physically demanding dance styles ever created. It's like a combination of gymnastics, street dance, martial arts like capoeira, tricking all into one. Morgan Hamm, the USA gymnast, even took a popular move from breaking (air flare) and incorporated it into his gymnastics floor routine. They thought it was a fad in the 80's but it has stuck around and today is more popular globally than ever before.

It is weird to see it as an Olympic competition though. Because I think what constitutes as "breaking" is so wide-ranging that it is tough to judge as an art form and what is a "better" breaking performance vs. another is so subjective.

I'm down with breaking. I didn't know it had a following. I like the art dancing. In the movie Breaking the competition was judged by the crowd. I just don't see it as an Olympic competition.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Blame the IOC for trying to capture the under 35 market....a lot of those are action sports that the X-games captured that the Olympics want.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject:

Damian Lillard Reacts To Team USA Struggles: “International Players Are Completely Different When They Play For Their Countries.”

Quote:
"And you know who we see each night sometimes in the NBA, they are completely different when they play for their countries," Lillard said. "They got more freedom, and the comfort level is obvious. So we put ourselves in a dogfight, and they made plays to win it."

The bottom line is, the Olympics are a completely different beast than the NBA regular season.

Not only are the games called differently, but the guys play with a greater sense of pride.

This year especially, the talent pool around the world seems to be catching up to the USA. In the NBA, international players like Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Doncic, and Nikola Jokic have taken over.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/damian-lillard-reacts-to-team-usa-struggles-%e2%80%9cinternational-players-are-completely-different-when-they-play-for-their-countries%e2%80%9d/ar-AAMyxV2?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL&pc=U591
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
Damian Lillard Reacts To Team USA Struggles: “International Players Are Completely Different When They Play For Their Countries.”

Quote:
"And you know who we see each night sometimes in the NBA, they are completely different when they play for their countries," Lillard said. "They got more freedom, and the comfort level is obvious. So we put ourselves in a dogfight, and they made plays to win it."

The bottom line is, the Olympics are a completely different beast than the NBA regular season.

Not only are the games called differently, but the guys play with a greater sense of pride.

This year especially, the talent pool around the world seems to be catching up to the USA. In the NBA, international players like Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Doncic, and Nikola Jokic have taken over.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/damian-lillard-reacts-to-team-usa-struggles-%e2%80%9cinternational-players-are-completely-different-when-they-play-for-their-countries%e2%80%9d/ar-AAMyxV2?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL&pc=U591

Except when we send real leaders and best players. Then it’s the same old story. Other than booker, Tatum, dame this team is a me squad
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

Hidilyn Diaz wins the Philippines' first-ever Olympic gold medal. First ever, what a legend now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAFZFL1fGg
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Hidilyn Diaz wins the Philippines' first-ever Olympic gold medal. First ever, what a legend now.

Y’all need to get with the badminton, been giving gold to Asian countries for a minute
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
focus wrote:

Y’all need to get with the badminton, been giving gold to Asian countries for a minute

It's almost too fast agame at that level to be able to watch!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject:

A total stunner, as Simone Biles bowed out of the team final. There was some mixed messaging as to why. She struggled during qualifying and then on her first vault did horribly (for her, anyway), and left with a trainer after that. Then it was announced she wouldn't continue. Then the announcers stated that it was not injury-related and that it was mental health-related. Then USA Gymnastics released a statement that she had a medical condition and her readiness for future events would be decided on a daily basis. Then her coach told NBC "physically she is fine, but she is done for tonight."

I'm going to reserve further comments until we hear more about this story. But it's a major stunner.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
focus wrote:

It's almost too fast agame at that level to be able to watch!

Kinda, not as fast as ping pong but yeah, it's fast paced
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject:

Simon Biles, Man! Naomi too, the bests are dropping

Do wanna see an epic beatdown tomorrow when US bball playing Iran, Dame Time or KD going for 40 large, book it
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

I've seen some of those promos for Biles the past couple of weeks; best of all time, posing with a goat, etc. etc. Now she drops out? Her and the NBC brought this upon themselves...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

I'm getting an uneasy feeling that the US Olympic domination is coming to an end. I'm hoping COVID is the culprit and not that the rest of the world is catching up.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm getting an uneasy feeling that the US Olympic domination is coming to an end. I'm hoping COVID is the culprit and not that the rest of the world is catching up.

lol, no way Jo. Maybe if this is US vs the rest of the world but individual country, we smoke everybody
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Easy to blame covid....but in reality these athletes had access to vaccines that people in other countries didn't have.
In reality this is a down year for Team USA. It happens....even so they are still at top of the medal count. Instead of complete domination they are just good enough this year.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

obviously Simone is getting gassed for caring about mental health. nice to see twitter bringing up MJ leaving the bulls under contract to deal with his mental health.
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
obviously Simone is getting gassed for caring about mental health. nice to see twitter bringing up MJ leaving the bulls under contract to deal with his mental health.

It's called choking. And I seriously doubt MJ leaving the Bulls had anything to with mental health. Even if it was he didn't leave the team in the middle of the nba finals cause he was having a bad game.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It's called choking. And I seriously doubt MJ leaving the Bulls had anything to with mental health. Even if it was he didn't leave the team in the middle of the nba finals cause he was having a bad game.

I will never question someones mental health claim. especially an elite athlete. they are different, and have realities we know nothing about.

MJ had the fortune of not being around during social media. To the point of we dont even question why he took 2 years off.

Simone like naomi, have all proven to be on a level that is impossible to get to. Simone has done nothing but won on the biggest stages.

her mental issues coming to a head during the 2020....yes 2020 olympics is not a surprise.

Props to her for making a choice knowing the backlash to follow.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This woman has competed with broken toes in both feet and at another time with kidney stones. So, to paraphrase someone I read but can’t find, unless you’ve been 15 feet above the vault doing things named for you that only you can do, probably best to put the choker or quitter label in your back pocket and sit on it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

"Whether or not she competes further is moot. She has done her bit for a federation that didn’t protect her from a predator and that made her out to be the face of the Olympics."

https://medium.com/sportsraid/simone-biles-and-the-hype-machine-3315d547a0c3
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Halflife wrote:

This woman has competed with broken toes in both feet and at another time with kidney stones. So, to paraphrase someone I read but can’t find, unless you’ve been 15 feet above the vault doing things named for you that only you can do, probably best to put the choker or quitter label in your back pocket and sit on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)
What happened to her is literally the definition of choking. The pressure was too much for her and she couldn't perform up to her usual standards. If she was afraid that she was going to get hurt then I understand why she would want to bow out but that doesn't change the fact that she did in fact choke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: