Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Westbrook’s regular season play type statistics for 2020-21:

Isolation (24.0% of possessions): 0.78 PPP (33rd percentile)

Transition (14.3%): 0.94 PPP (20th percentile)

P&R Ball Handler (19.9%): 0.71 PPP (21st percentile)

Post Up (8.8%): 0.84 PPP (31st percentile)

Spot Up (10.6%): 1.08 PPP (65th percentile)

Handoff (1.8%): 0.48 PPP (5th percentile)

Cut (1.3%): 1.26 PPP (45th percentile)

Putback (2.8%): 1.02 PPP (36th percentile)

Misc. (8.2%): 0.56 PPP (54th percentile)

And basically all of these numbers were much worse in the playoffs.

This is a move a teenager makes on NBA2K because it has a sexy name attached to it. Unless, by a miracle, Buddy is somehow attached to this, this is a terrible trade.

Isolation, transition, P&R ball handling which are supposed to be some of his strengths are worse than 70% of the NBA. But didn't you get the memo? Numbers such as these are ignored here and treated like some undecipherable voodoo (bleep) intentionally designed to make Russ look bad.

Oh and don't expect replies backed by numbers, instead let these inspirational quotes allay your fear:

AD, Bron, AD and Russ are friends, surely they'll make it work!
... Russ is a former MVP, 2 MVPS = win!... TrIp dUb baByy

Yea, those numbers are so odd.
He was 70%ile in pnr ball handler the year before.
Lemme check his numbers post all star game when the team started playing better.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
I def. see defenses daring him to shoot and watching him fail miserably year after year since he's hyper competitive and just continues to shoot the jumpers he has no ability to make with any kind of consistently whatsoever.

Pretty sure the majority of people here including myself do not hate WB at all, they're just extremely weary of his ability come Playoff time. There's a reason every non Laker fan I know has clowned the trade and are happy this is the big move we made this off season considering the other possibilities that were popping up. I don't hate it though, just not the biggest fan of it. I get the reasons the Lakers pulled the trigger so now that it's done i'm just hoping for the best but to act like it's some homerun trade is a bit much imo as well.

Bolded sounds like what people said about Giannis about a month ago. And he was a 1st option. Not even a 3rd option. He didn't do that (bleep) in the Olympics. He took way less shots with Durant. He let Harden choke the 1 finals they were in together. Fans and analyst are funny. They think they know ball more than a future 1st ballot, MVP.

We traded a bag of rotation players and a non-lotto pick for the most recent player of the month. It was a homerun.

FWIW. Non-Laker fans clowned us for getting Rondo too.
They are probably the same people who said LBJ and Wade couldn't fit on the same court together too (back in the Heatles day).
Let 'em clown. We'll just point to the scoreboard after next finals.
That's the Laker way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
3baller wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:
WB teams are 138-46 when he gets a triple double.
That's a pretty good record.
I actually don't expect him to be averaging near a triple double for us.
But hopefully these "empty" stats can lead us to wins.

He's 6-6 in the playoffs when he gets a triple-double.

The four years he averaged a triple double, his teams all got booted in the first round with a combined record of 5-16.

So you're saying he carried teams to the playoffs who had no business being there?

More like he's great in the regular season but gets exposed in the postseason

You know AD couldn't even get to the playoffs every year "to get exposed"? Curry couldn't carry GS to the playoffs "to get exposed". Lowry could carry TOR this year to the playoffs "to get exposed".

Did Doncic just carry a team to the playoffs the last 2 years "to get exposed"?
Just say you hate WB even if he is a Laker. And save us all some time.

LINK LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Alot of the non-Laker fans clowning us for getting a third star will turn into ghosts when we pound their squad into dust when we see them this upcoming season.
Outside of Brooklyn. I don't see us having a competitive playoff series.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
3baller wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

The four years he averaged a triple double, his teams all got booted in the first round with a combined record of 5-16.

So you're saying he carried teams to the playoffs who had no business being there?

You know AD couldn't even get to the playoffs every year "to get exposed"? Curry couldn't carry GS to the playoffs "to get exposed". Lowry could carry TOR this year to the playoffs "to get exposed".

LINK LINK

Anyone here really gonna take Westbrook over Doncic, Curry or AD?

But please continue to ignore the numbers. Keep those inspirational quotes coming
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Alot of the non-Laker fans clowning us for getting a third star will turn into ghosts when we pound their squad into dust when we see them this upcoming season.

It's one thing if all we had was Russ. Or just 2 of the 3.
But he's coming on a team with AD and LeBron... after they talked about putting down egos, sacrificing and even changing positions.

Our squad last year before AD got hurt was killing it. All Russ has to do is be better than Dennis. I guess some fans don't think thats possible 🤣
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But he's coming on a team with AD and LeBron... after they talked about putting down egos, sacrificing and even changing positions.

Our squad last year before AD got hurt was killing it. All Russ has to do is be better than Dennis. I guess some fans don't think thats possible 🤣

In fairness, they probably all know basketball better than AD, LBJ, and WB.
What's interesting is. With all the fans and analysts knowing how screwed we are. We're still the 2nd favorite to win the chip according to Vegas. Only behind the OTHER big 3 in the league.
It's almost as if people are saying one thing out of hate. But if they have to put their $ on it. Their tune changes.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
3baller wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:

LINK LINK

Anyone here really gonna take Westbrook over Doncic, Curry or AD?

But please continue to ignore the numbers. Keep those inspirational quotes coming

Have you lost your bearings? AD is a Laker.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:

What's interesting is. With all the fans and analysts knowing how screwed we are. We're still the 2nd favorite to win the chip according to Vegas. Only behind the OTHER big 3 in the league.
It's almost as if people are saying one thing out of hate. But if they have to put their $ on it. Their tune changes.

Before we get to the finals, who do you think has a chance against us in the west?
Maybe the Mavs?

Warriors (depends on Klay)
Suns (potentially if they continue to improve)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Before we get to the finals, who do you think has a chance against us in the west?
Maybe the Mavs?

Have to see what moves are made. As all the teams are currently constructed. No one. All we have to do is stay healthy.

I imagine it'll be like the Heatles a little bit to start the season. Our big 3 will have to figure it out a little. But after that, we'll see alot of stretches where we go 9-1 or 8-2 over 10 games.

If Kawhi didn't get hurt. And the Warriors got him. That would've been a good series. But he did get hurt. So that's a moot point. Klay can't guard LBJ and WB at the same time. And Draymond can't handle AD.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
32 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Could Russell be the best point guard we've had since Magic?

Yes.

Russell definitely is unless you count Lebron as a point guard/forward.

Honorable Mentions:

Nick Van Exel

Sedale Threatt

Ramon Sessions, Lonzo Ball, Jeremy Lin, Chucky Atkins , and Kendall Marshall...............
Obviously Kidding for the last 5

William Henry "Smush" Parker
Tierre Brown
80 year old Derek Harper
Steve "Black" Blake

Forgot about Tierre and Steve!!

Javaris Crittenton
Chris Duhon

Sun Yue
Smush

But legit, 0.4s

Lonzo didn’t deserve this

Man, we forgot Mike Penberthy, I mean GP!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
governator wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
32 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Yes.

Honorable Mentions:

Nick Van Exel

Sedale Threatt

Ramon Sessions, Lonzo Ball, Jeremy Lin, Chucky Atkins , and Kendall Marshall...............

Tierre Brown
80 year old Derek Harper
Steve "Black" Blake

Forgot about Tierre and Steve!!

Javaris Crittenton
Chris Duhon

Sun Yue
Smush

But legit, 0.4s

Lonzo didn’t deserve this

Man, we forgot Mike Penberthy, I mean GP!

Thanks for all the input guys.
So pretty much the answer is Yes.
That's pretty crazy. It took us only 30 years to have a PG at this quality? (1991 being the last season that Magic played point, shifted to forward in 96)
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Maybe the Mavs?

Have to see what moves are made. As all the teams are currently constructed. No one. All we have to do is stay healthy.

I imagine it'll be like the Heatles a little bit to start the season. Our big 3 will have to figure it out a little. But after that, we'll see alot of stretches where we go 9-1 or 8-2 over 10 games.

If Kawhi didn't get hurt. And the Warriors got him. That would've been a good series. But he did get hurt. So that's a moot point. Klay can't guard LBJ and WB at the same time. And Draymond can't handle AD.

You know it's gonna be brutal in here when they start off and have a 2 game losing streak
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Just some random thoughts in response to various comments:

The negatives:
1. While I think Russ is better than DS [in across the board skills], I do not think we can just think of running the same sort of thing we did with DS, e.g. just slot in Russ and play same way team did last year. For one, Russ, for his career [and you can argue its been declining] has not been very good shooting from beyond 10 feet. You could act actually say anywhere from semi-atrocious to sub-par. On the other hand, DS showed last year his mid-range jumper [e.g. that 16-20 foot shot] was actually pretty decent. In a number of situations versus a zone, DS used that to attack, get to a mid-perimeter spot and score. Russ does not have such a reliable jumper.

2. You could actually make a case that Russ's ability to make a jumper is quite poor. We're not talking Ben Simmons bad, but to put it in perspective, the only range he shoots in his career over 40% is within 3 feet of the basket: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html

And we know his FT ability has been very inconsistent, having shot in the 60ish% 2 of the past 4 seasons.

3. Numerous commentators have referenced his TO's and that he is not known for making the best decisions.

4. Makes me wonder exactly how LBJ/AD/Klutch/Lakers FO see this working. I mean, there's a reason it did not take a bunch of first round picks to get him over here. At $40+M a season, he isnt exactly a bargain buy for what you get...

But that's question, what are you getting on the plus side?

1. Here's a guy who has seen tremendous success with KD. When PG13 joined him, for at least one season PG13 was having an MVP caliber year then his shoulder got hurt...OKC was looking very competitive.

2. After KD left, still willed his team to the playoffs.

3. He is a Big part of the reason Wizards were able to get their season turned around and get into the playoffs after missing it 2 years in a row.

4. Has incredibly unique skills for a PG, e.g. a nose for boards - and been that way for several years now.

As I posted back on, I believe page 13-14, I have some serious doubts about this, especially since it meant passing up a guy who actually provided 3 shooting. But, going to trust what the team elected to do. They have a vision, and let's see how it turns out. I think they have an idea who they are getting next week and feel comfortable with it.

Last edited by DrDent on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

https://t.co/uR16bNafKz?amp=1

Some positives about Russell...

Quote:
In the past five seasons, Westbrook’s 1,647 helpers sit only behind James Harden in terms of the most assists at the rim. And when considering assist points overall, Westbrook is decisively at the top, with 1,067 more than the next closest player. That is easily an upgrade over the team’s previous point guard in terms of facilitating.

Quote:
According to the Bball-Index, last season Westbrook ranked in the 99th percentile in their database when it came to “getting to the rim rating,” the 99th percentile in box creation (an estimate of open shots carved out for teammates by drawing defensive attention) and the 99th percentile in “high value assists” (3PT, rim, free-throws). All of it proves that even at his advanced age of 32, Westbrook can both still get to the cup and dish it out at an absurd level.

Check out the link. It has a few clips as well.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
https://t.co/uR16bNafKz?amp=1

Some positives about Russell...

Quote:
In the past five seasons, Westbrook’s 1,647 helpers sit only behind James Harden in terms of the most assists at the rim. And when considering assist points overall, Westbrook is decisively at the top, with 1,067 more than the next closest player. That is easily an upgrade over the team’s previous point guard in terms of facilitating.

Quote:
According to the Bball-Index, last season Westbrook ranked in the 99th percentile in their database when it came to “getting to the rim rating,” the 99th percentile in box creation (an estimate of open shots carved out for teammates by drawing defensive attention) and the 99th percentile in “high value assists” (3PT, rim, free-throws). All of it proves that even at his advanced age of 32, Westbrook can both still get to the cup and dish it out at an absurd level.

Check out the link. It has a few clips as well.

He can collapse a D for sure, or get into its teeth.

I wonder if AD is salivating at the prospect of doing what Ayton did most of the playoffs...easy feeds when a Suns PG collapsed the D
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Your enthusiasm has me convinced. I'm all in.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm looking forward to seeing Russ lead the Lakers in rebounds and assist lolz
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing Russ lead the Lakers in rebounds and assist lolz

Bron and Lonzo both got a trip dub in a single game together. I wonder what Russ and Bron can do
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm just excited to see 82 games of Russ going balls to the walls and then a playoff run capped off with #18!!!

LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I’m feeling a lot better about Russ and the Lakers. We went from D’Angelo Russell to Russell Westbrook.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Russ is a beast. He's going to bring it every night.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I still remember when Kuz was widely regarded as our third option, now it's Russ. And depth is coming
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
I still remember when Kuz was widely regarded as our third option, now it's Russ. And depth is coming

That's when I soured on Kuz because he actually thought he was part of the Big 3. Kuz's head started getting pretty big after this.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
32 wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Yes.

Honorable Mentions:

Nick Van Exel

Sedale Threatt

Tierre Brown
80 year old Derek Harper
Steve "Black" Blake

Nick is definitely the best guard the lakers have had since Magic. That’s really a testament to how great Kobe was for the lakers…since then
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 29 of 426
Jump to: