Westbrook Trade: Yay or Nay?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you approve or disapprove of the Westbrook trade?
Approve of the trade.
72%
 72%  [ 110 ]
Disapprove of the trade.
27%
 27%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 152

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Westbrook Trade: Yay or Nay?

Simple poll, no caveats or explanations needed.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

We got an MVP and GOT RID OF KUZMA in the deal???? Hell yeah, I'm all in.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject:

It's a close call for me. I grew to like KCP a lot, Kuz has always been almost there. Westbrook can put up crazy stats but flames out every year in the playoffs, he is a superstar for a reason though and he's competitive. He will be washed up soon, but he might have a good year or two left if he learns to play alongside LBJ and AD.

Draft pics - meh. We get some we lose one.

Barely favorable on this one.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

TBD. But yay for now.
๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ† ๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ– #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Nay at first, but then when learning he, AD and Bron talked about AD-Bron moving to the 5-4, if we get two 3nD wings that can help the chemistry of that unit, you went from Drummond (not a floor spacer), Dennis (again, not a floor spacer) and an inconsistent KCP to AD at the 5, Bron, two 3nD wings and Westbrook. If we can pull of that, I will say it could be a yay. However if we go out and re-sign Drummond and then sign an average 3 point shooting wing, and then keep AD at the 4, Imma go to Nay.

I need to see this AD-Bron at the 5-4 plan, and the players we sign to start next to Wesbrook-AD-Bron before I really form an opinion. Right now I am just cautiously optimistic that Rob understands the importance of getting at least two quality 3nD wings ......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Nay at first, but then when learning he, AD and Bron talked about AD-Bron moving to the 5-4, if we get two 3nD wings that can help the chemistry of that unit, you went from Drummond (not a floor spacer), Dennis (again, not a floor spacer) and an inconsistent KCP to AD at the 5, Bron, two 3nD wings and Westbrook. If we can pull of that, I will say it could be a yay. However if we go out and re-sign Drummond and then sign an average 3 point shooting wing, and then keep AD at the 4, Imma go to Nay.

I need to see this AD-Bron at the 5-4 plan
, and the players we sign to start next to Wesbrook-AD-Bron before I really form an opinion. Right now I am just cautiously optimistic that Rob understands the importance of getting at least two quality 3nD wings ......

You saw it in the bubble during money time
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

I was initially a "nay" as well, but I can see the conditions under which it could work. In any event, I voted yes because from a talent perspective, that was a nice haul for a guy who was out the door (Trezz), a guy who needs a new start (Kuz) and a guy who was mostly our 5th or 6th best player. Non-lottery draft picks are a crapshoot.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

Yet again Rob got swindled in draft capital. If you're gonna take on $90m for a fading 33 year old "superstar" at least keep or swap picks in a loaded draft.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Yet again Rob got swindled in draft capital. If you're gonna take on $90m for a fading 33 year old "superstar" at least keep or swap picks in a loaded draft.

Again, why do people keep saying this. The #22 was in the Hield deal as well.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Not liking the fit and chemistry of WB on the team with James. Or a fan of WB in general. One of those players that annoys me when I see him in a game.

Some serious issues will need to be figured out. Will those compromises of style, fit, roles work? Will be interesting to watch!

Would have preferred they use the limited assets in a different way. But I have no clue how or if that was even realistic. Bottom line, he is a Laker now. Not much I can do about it.

I understand the โ€œwhyโ€, not understanding the โ€œhow โ€œ at the moment. Hope they surprise me.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

As long as the rest of the roster spots get filled with capable personnel - it's all yay.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

Currently a big nay. I absolutely hope I'm wrong, but trading that draft pick in the deal felt very unnecessary for the players we were already giving up.

Between trading that pick that would have landed us Desmomd Bane last year, and now this year with even more depth in the draft, for a player like Schroder, who's a very questionable fit next to Lebron?

Yeah not a fan. I do see the potential on how IT CAN work, and how it could be brilliant. Yet that's a much bigger IF than the possibilities of it failing.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

Yay but it's close for many reasons mentioned. He is a game vjanget that will tip the scale for quality ver min guys. They may even get a descent player with the exception due to what Russ and LBJ can create for them to showcase.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

Lebron will make it work, so yay.

Any other situation, it's a nay.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject:

Yay.

If AD moves to the 5 it will change the offense to inside out. I've always been an inside-out believer. Brook rushing the rim will allow AD to get off his mid-range. He has a great mid-range jumper.

Russell is a great passer teams will have to stop his rim rush freeing AD to use his mid-range jumper.

He'll take a lot of pressure off of Bron. West will bring the ball up and set up the offense. He's a triple-double machine.

Kenny Smith made a point this morning. He'll give our perimeter shooters an extra second to set their feet and get off good shots. I expect our outside game to improve.

The only thing I don't like is his poor 3pt shooting. Smith kinda eased my mind on that when he mentioned Bron won 2 rings with DWade who only shot 30%.

Our rosters not set. I believe Pelinka will be looking for shooters. If the basketball gods will let us be healthy we have a great shot at the Larry O'Brien.

Sorry OP

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

Yay because of all he naysayers about Russ.
Iโ€™m ready, letโ€™s go!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Yes. Saves LBJ legs.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject:

Love it.
Love him.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Again, why do people keep saying this. The #22 was in the Hield deal as well.

but in the Hield deal we keep KCP
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

Easy yes.

We lost:
(a) Harrell - an unplayable playoff big who can't shoot or defend who also we all fully expected and wanted to opt out unless it was to facilitate a trade. Addition by subtraction but his contract made the deal happen.

(b) Kuzma - and his whopping 28% playoff career 3pt shooting average with 3.3 rebound and .9 assists. On the biggest stage he plays his smallest. In meaningless games where there's no pressure, he puts up numbers. 99% of LG wanted him banished

(c) KCP - the only semblance of an important piece to this team. We will miss his shooting and defense but it was feast or famine with him. He's white hot or terrified to shoot. Still, only a role player that's easily replaceable.

(d) #22 - people are really complaining about this as the straw that broke the camel's back but we also got back two 2nd rounders. Are they in 24 and all the way in 28, sure. But those are the years we'll start to need to address our lack of assets to add youth and without question they will be in the the 30-40 range.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing what others are seeing as this being a bad deal. How well it works will come down to how Westbrook approaches his style of play and what pieces Rob puts around these guys. Obviously we need shooting (Gay, Porter, Burks, etc) but we also didn't hard cap ourselves and can now bring back AC and THT. Oh and we kept our best trade asset in THT and still have the ability to move Dennis in a S&T for depth or a TPE which could be huge down the road. Excited to see how Rob approaches filling out the roster.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Easy yes.

We lost:
(a) Harrell - an unplayable playoff big who can't shoot or defend who also we all fully expected and wanted to opt out unless it was to facilitate a trade. Addition by subtraction but his contract made the deal happen.

(b) Kuzma - and his whopping 28% playoff career 3pt shooting average with 3.3 rebound and .9 assists. On the biggest stage he plays his smallest. In meaningless games where there's no pressure, he puts up numbers. 99% of LG wanted him banished

(c) KCP - the only semblance of an important piece to this team. We will miss his shooting and defense but it was feast or famine with him. He's white hot or terrified to shoot. Still, only a role player that's easily replaceable.

(d) #22 - people are really complaining about this as the straw that broke the camel's back but we also got back two 2nd rounders. Are they in 24 and all the way in 28, sure. But those are the years we'll start to need to address our lack of assets to add youth and without question they will be in the the 30-40 range.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing what others are seeing as this being a bad deal. How well it works will come down to how Westbrook approaches his style of play and what pieces Rob puts around these guys. Obviously we need shooting (Gay, Porter, Burks, etc) but we also didn't hard cap ourselves and can now bring back AC and THT. Oh and we kept our best trade asset in THT and still have the ability to move Dennis in a S&T for depth or a TPE which could be huge down the road. Excited to see how Rob approaches filling out the roster.

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Losing kcp is the only bummer, but thatโ€™s the sacrifice. Plus his slump last year was season long.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
TBD. But yay for now.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2019 wrote:
Easy yes.

We lost:

Sure. Keep telling yourself that.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Alex Caruso played the same role

Last edited by JUST-MING on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

I trust in the Lakers. Time will tell if this a great move like getting AD in a big trade, or if this is a Mosgov like transaction. Only time will tell.

I voted YES because I trust the Lakers - you know Rob has a plan and this had to at least been run by Lebron and AD.

We need to fill out the roster well, get some shooting, and get guys to play for less money, but give us productive minutes and depth.

And most importantly, Russ needs to buy in. He needs to buy into Vogel's system and direction, and he needs to be able to adapt playing with Lebron, etc. Points in our favor:

Russ is very talented, but has some glaring weaknesses.

Russ is very intense and driven, I think he rivals Kobe in some ways with his focus. If he wants this to work, he will be very motivated to make it work.

Russ can and will dish the rock much better than DS.

Russ is a high IQ player and plays the game at a very fast pace.

Russ wants to be home, wants to play in LA. If this works well, I could see him next year opting out, and signing a smaller three year deal to close out his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: