Westbrook Trade: Yay or Nay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you approve or disapprove of the Westbrook trade?
Approve of the trade.
72%
 72%  [ 110 ]
Disapprove of the trade.
27%
 27%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 152

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Jalen & Jacoby trying to make a point that Lakers gave up more for Russ than what Brooklyn gave up for Harden.

True or false?

Nets gave up LeVert, Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, 3x 1st round picks.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Jalen & Jacoby trying to make a point that Lakers gave up more for Russ than what Brooklyn gave up for Harden.

True or false?

False, but we gave up more assets than we should have.
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject:

We should have drafted the Robot from Tokyo Olympics!!!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Nay, he has been, no exaggeration, the WORST volume shooting player in the past 5 years. People think KCP is inconsistent even though he shoots 40% from 3, Russ shoots 25-30% most seasons and his overall FG% aint much better. For this to work out Russ would need take a step back, change his game drastically, and play nice being 3rd fiddle in his 14th season after the myriad of all-star teammates hes had and didn't do any of these things... I don't know it doesnt seem very probable to me.

People think its Russ vs Kuz, KCP, Trez, 22nd; but its also Russ vs whoever else we could have gotten like Hield without trading KCP.

Bron won 2 rings with D Wade. Wade shot .293 from the 3 point line.

His primary function is to take the ball out of Brons hands, run the offense. He'll most likely be the 3rd option. His assist record allows he won't mind being that. His 11.7 assists and 11.5 rebounds per game are being glossed over.

It's gonna be on Vogel to get the max from the big 3.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:
Nay, he has been, no exaggeration, the WORST volume shooting player in the past 5 years. People think KCP is inconsistent even though he shoots 40% from 3, Russ shoots 25-30% most seasons and his overall FG% aint much better. For this to work out Russ would need take a step back, change his game drastically, and play nice being 3rd fiddle in his 14th season after the myriad of all-star teammates hes had and didn't do any of these things... I don't know it doesnt seem very probable to me.

People think its Russ vs Kuz, KCP, Trez, 22nd; but its also Russ vs whoever else we could have gotten like Hield without trading KCP.

His primary function is to take the ball out of Brons hands, run the offense. He'll most likely be the 3rd option. His assist record allows he won't mind being that. His 11.7 assists and 11.5 rebounds per game are being glossed over.

True they shoot the same %, but the league has changed a lot in 10 years. Wade also back then averaged about 1 three a game during their two championship years. The past 10 seasons Westbrook has averaged almost 5 a game, They are both terrible shooters, but Westbrook doesn't have a voice in his head telling him to not shoot it. Wade also was much more efficient shooting elsewhere (48% career), while WB is a career 43%.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
it'd be cool if Westbrook re-invented himself. became a great cutter and defender..maybe in the playoffs..
re-invent that shooting form too, i don't see why not, seriously, why not overhaul it

I don't expect Westbrook to significantly change his game and suddenly develop new skills he hasn't exhibited over his past 13 years in the NBA.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Nay at first, but then when learning he, AD and Bron talked about AD-Bron moving to the 5-4, if we get two 3nD wings that can help the chemistry of that unit, you went from Drummond (not a floor spacer), Dennis (again, not a floor spacer) and an inconsistent KCP to AD at the 5, Bron, two 3nD wings and Westbrook. If we can pull of that, I will say it could be a yay. However if we go out and re-sign Drummond and then sign an average 3 point shooting wing, and then keep AD at the 4, Imma go to Nay.

I need to see this AD-Bron at the 5-4 plan, and the players we sign to start next to Wesbrook-AD-Bron before I really form an opinion. Right now I am just cautiously optimistic that Rob understands the importance of getting at least two quality 3nD wings ......

Yeah, this changes my opinion as well. Everybody knows the Lakers are better with AD at the 5 but he never wanted to play it. If he’s willing to do it now as part of this deal, that's a big positive. A lineup with Westbrook, a couple of 3-and-D wings (e.g., Porter Jr., Hield), LeBron, and Davis could do some serious damage.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

-Wade at that point was sooooo much better than what Westbrook has been for the last few seasons
-They had the team that could run a high tempo "7 seconds or less" offense to minimize the lack of shooting between Lebron and Wade
-it was a different era when 3 point shooting wasnt as important as it is now
-that team had more overall talent than any other team in the league at the time by far so they had more room for error
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

True they shoot the same %, but the league has changed a lot in 10 years. Wade also back then averaged about 1 three a game during their two championship years. The past 10 seasons Westbrook has averaged almost 5 a game, They are both terrible shooters, but Westbrook doesn't have a voice in his head telling him to not shoot it. Wade also was much more efficient shooting elsewhere (48% career), while WB is a career 43%.

You're focusing on shooting, glossing over assists and rebounds. Wade 4.7 reb 5.4 asst. All things being equal doesn't that make up for his shooting? Yes the league has changed so has Westbrooks game. It changed for the better.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

-Wade at that point was sooooo much better than what Westbrook has been for the last few seasons
-They had the team that could run a high tempo "7 seconds or less" offense to minimize the lack of shooting between Lebron and Wade
-that team had more overall talent than any other team in the league at the time by far so they had more room for error

Not to mention... Lebron is a decade older. LOL! Sometimes it can be strange how teams come together, so I'll be optimistic.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I really like Westbrook the player and person, just not for this team and more importantly that salary.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I think Bron is finally at that point in his career where he wants a pretty ball dominant guy next to him.. didn't need it before even when he had it; but now, he needs that breather
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

You're focusing on shooting, glossing over assists and rebounds. Wade 4.7 reb 5.4 asst. All things being equal doesn't that make up for his shooting? Yes the league has changed so has Westbrooks game. It changed for the better.

Im focusing on shooting because its a huge problem for our team. Sure westbrook does some things wade doesnt, but for a lebron team going far into the postseason Lebron and Russ do the same exact things. I can already see problems in the future where Lebron will have the ball in the 4th quarter and we have Westbrook actively hampering the teams offense by being on the floor and not creating any space. With Westbrooks ego will Vogel even attempt to bench him? Probably not so we're stuck playing 4 on 5 at the end of games with teams daring Westbrook to shoot the ball.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I think it's (bleep) fantastic!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

The game has changed. How many high-tempo "7 seconds or less" teams are there in the league today? D'Antoni type offense has proven not to work today. Especially in the playoffs.

Instead of live by the 3 die by the 3 why not take the ball inside where the scoring percent of higher. The Lakers have the players who can and will rush the rim.

Westbrook is a great asset. The Lakers problem will be perimeter shooting.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

Im focusing on shooting because its a huge problem for our team.

Yes, it's a problem. It was the year we won a championship. We overcame it by rushing the rim.

Sure westbrook does some things wade doesnt, but for a lebron team going far into the postseason Lebron and Russ do the same exact things.

And therein lies a cure. Westbrook will take some of the weight off of Bron. He won't have to bring the ball up and start the offense, that will be Westbrooks's assignment.

I can already see problems in the future where Lebron will have the ball in the 4th quarter and we have Westbrook actively hampering the teams offense by being on the floor and not creating any space.

How can you say he won't create space? He'll have to be doubled to keep him from going strong to the hole. That will free AD up for his great midrange game. He's damn near automatic 10 ft in. Bron will be on the wing. He has a good 10 15 ft jumper and if they go at him he's one of the league's best passers. He'll find the open man.

With Westbrooks ego will Vogel even attempt to bench him? Probably not so we're stuck playing 4 on 5 at the end of games with teams daring Westbrook to shoot the ball.

You're saying Vogel won't coach the team. We won't be playing 4 on 5. You're not factoring in Brook's assists.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westbrook Trade: Yay or Nay?

yinoma2001 wrote:
Simple poll, no caveats or explanations needed.

It truly is a shame that it has come to this. If they were healthy, if they played to their potential, there would be no way a GM would make this deal. Kuzma, Montrezl, KCP, and indirectly Dennis Schroeder.. for an aging, always inconsistent Russell Westbrook. The "Everybody must suck at the same time" stars have to be aligned for this path to take place. Montrezl, no longer looking like Clippers Montrezl, that's partly Vogel's fault. Dennis Schroder goes 0-9 in a playoff game when you need him most. Kyle Kuzma worrying about Instagram followers and fashion more than basketball, KCP threes no longer dropping in the playoffs. It truly is a shame that it has come to this. But I'm hopeful that maybe it's good riddance, that maybe we'll come to see that Westbrook's go get it attitude every game is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the fragile egos we traded.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Yes, it's a problem. It was the year we won a championship. We overcame it by rushing the rim.

Sure westbrook does some things wade doesnt, but for a lebron team going far into the postseason Lebron and Russ do the same exact things.

And therein lies a cure. Westbrook will take some of the weight off of Bron. He won't have to bring the ball up and start the offense, that will be Westbrooks's assignment.

I can already see problems in the future where Lebron will have the ball in the 4th quarter and we have Westbrook actively hampering the teams offense by being on the floor and not creating any space.

How can you say he won't create space? He'll have to be doubled to keep him from going strong to the hole. That will free AD up for his great midrange game. He's damn near automatic 10 ft in. Bron will be on the wing. He has a good 10 15 ft jumper and if they go at him he's one of the league's best passers. He'll find the open man.

With Westbrooks ego will Vogel even attempt to bench him? Probably not so we're stuck playing 4 on 5 at the end of games with teams daring Westbrook to shoot the ball.

You're saying Vogel won't coach the team. We won't be playing 4 on 5. You're not factoring in Brook's assists.
[/quote]

I don't deny Westbrook will take some pressure off of lebron in the regular season. But at the end of games he is going to be a detriment more than a positive and Vogel effectively can't bench someone like Westbrook. He has always tried to do way too much. Its happened in almost every post season series he's been in. It's why stars don't want to play with him and see the writing on the wall after a season or two.

Did we forget just a season ago when we effectively shut the houston rockets offense down? We doubled Harden and let Westbrook drive into our defense out of control and either turn it over or hoist up an incredibly difficult layup. He got his assists and rebound numbers, but the rockets ended up being a cakewalk. I disagree about teams doubling Westbrook, they've figure out you just sag off of him and dare him to shoot. His midrange is also not nearly as efficient as it once was.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ksig wrote:

Not to mention... Lebron is a decade older. LOL! Sometimes it can be strange how teams come together, so I'll be optimistic.

Why not also mention that a healthy AD is considerably better than Chris Bosh.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Ignoring the fit, for what we gave up, trade was s steal.

The only way this isn't a good trade is if Rob doesn't do what it takes to fill the rest of the roster.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

The only way this isn't a good trade is if Rob doesn't do what it takes to fill the rest of the roster.

It wasn't a steal, if it was the entire NBA would already be up in arms. I haven't seen a single wizards fan who hated the trade for their team. Greg Popovich probably saw the news and went straight back to sleep.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

True or false?

Totally false. Levert and Allen are both better than anyone we gave up.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
as expected, the legit unbiased NBA analysts are hating this trade and Westbrook's fit with Lebron.

The legit, unbiased analysts AKA the ones that agree with me
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

It wasn't a steal, if it was the entire NBA would already be up in arms. I haven't seen a single wizards fan who hated the trade for their team. Greg Popovich probably saw the news and went straight back to sleep.

What would Pop do if it was a steal? He doesn't sleep? LOL! Seems like you're taking that comment literally. I few like we gave up a lot for a player I'm not a big fan of. Then I'm reminded of how small they all played when AD was injured, then it makes me look forward to seeing our new team with Westbrook.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ksig wrote:

Quote:
I don't deny Westbrook will take some pressure off of lebron in the regular season. But at the end of games he is going to be a detriment more than a positive and Vogel effectively can't bench someone like Westbrook.

What makes you think a player with his assist rates will be a detriment? He'll be handing off the Bron and AD. Vogel won't need to bench him.

He has always tried to do way too much. Its happened in almost every post season series he's been in. It's why stars don't want to play with him and see the writing on the wall after a season or two.

I don't think he'll try to do too much. He's matured since his OKC days when he had 2 players the caliber of KD and Harden. Near seasons end he a Beal were a dynamic duo.

Did we forget just a season ago when we effectively shut the houston rockets offense down? We doubled Harden and let Westbrook drive into our defense out of control and either turn it over or hoist up an incredibly difficult layup.

He's not going to just drive if he's doubled. He's going to drive and kick. A double will help Bron and AD, they'll be free to play an AD and Bron offense.

He got his assists and rebound numbers, but the rockets ended up being a cakewalk. I disagree about teams doubling Westbrook, they've figure out you just sag off of him and dare him to shoot. His midrange is also not nearly as efficient as it once was.

That is a weakness in his game. All players have weaknesses. I think it'll be offset by his rebounding and assists.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: