NBA on NBC Theme (Roundball Rock) at the Olympics

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nightbringer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: NBA on NBC Theme (Roundball Rock) at the Olympics

Can this just be a permanent thing from now on NBC? Pretty please?

I remember it was brought back in 2012, but was MIA in 2016. I'm glad it's back now but it needs to stay! Future generations need to hear the best NBA theme ever!
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

This might be an unpopular take, but NBA on NBC was better than anything, including the much hyped NBA on TNT/TBS folks, who I thought have always been overrated. I know the NBA likes to justify their move to cable TV by saying most everyone has Cable, but I personally thought (from looking at people around me) that they did indeed lose viewership that they have never really been able to regain. Some of that is Thanks to Michael Jordan, but of the major American sports, Basketball (for a long time in the early 2000’s) was the only one who was exclusively Cable TV. I just don’t think that’s a good business model, even if your little stats claim that like 89% of households have/had cable.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject:

What exactly would they use it on? They don't even have basketball on NBC other than the Olympics. That theme song is used on FOX college basketball games on the FOX network now so I guess somebody is carrying the torch for it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
This might be an unpopular take, but NBA on NBC was better than anything, including the much hyped NBA on TNT/TBS folks, who I thought have always been overrated. I know the NBA likes to justify their move to cable TV by saying most everyone has Cable, but I personally thought (from looking at people around me) that they did indeed lose viewership that they have never really been able to regain. Some of that is Thanks to Michael Jordan, but of the major American sports, Basketball (for a long time in the early 2000’s) was the only one who was exclusively Cable TV. I just don’t think that’s a good business model, even if your little stats claim that like 89% of households have/had cable.

I remember they had tripleheaders on NBC....they don't even do that on ABC these days. And theres something about exposure to the masses that you can't buy hidden away on pay TV (satellite, cable), especially in an area of cord cutting.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

I remember they had tripleheaders on NBC....they don't even do that on ABC these days. And theres something about exposure to the masses that you can't buy hidden away on pay TV (satellite, cable), especially in an area of cord cutting.

Still nothing like it for me.

Oldie but a goodie:

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Still nothing like it for me.

Oldie but a goodie:

I hated it when ABC/ESPN won the rights and even worse they got rid of the theme song.
For me personally ranking the theme songs it would be
NBC
CBS
ABC
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

^NBA on NBC was about delivery. It had the catchy theme, but they were all about quality delivery, you knew what was in store and you knew what you were getting. It didn’t need TV personalities (I.E. NBA on TNT) or a lackof (NBA on ABC/BSPN) to make it work. You watched the NBA on NBC because you knew what you were getting, not because you wanted to hear what Charles Barkley/Stephen A. Smith had to say.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject:

NBC Sports is/was always quality. They get qualified, insightful talent and don't really care about drumming up hot takes.
The sound for the announces went out during a USA basketball game. Tirico picked up the coverage from the studio. Gave great analysis while giving quality play by play. With ease.

Maria Taylor is another quality get for them.

I was very happy to hear the NBA on NBC theme song during the Olympics. Was definitely a trip down memory lane.

I like TNT's studio crew and hate their announcer teams.
I like ESPN's announcer teams and hate their studio crew.
NBA on NBC though, including this Olympic USA basketball coverage. Quality from start to finish.
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I personally liked the CBS intro best. Maybe I'm just old.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject:

LINK
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: