William Shatner, 90, Set to Be Oldest Man Shot Into Space
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
How long before cosmic funeral services are going to be held for the uber-rich?

There was a terrible ST TNG episode where they find obnoxious rich American citizens from the 20th century in cryo-burial tubes and revive them.

I didn't watch much Next generation.

I pulled the series and watched that episode. I think the only one who'll have trouble adjusting is the businessman. I have all 7 seasons. I'll watch some of them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

There was a terrible ST TNG episode where they find obnoxious rich American citizens from the 20th century in cryo-burial tubes and revive them.

That episode wasn't terrible; not up to par with seasons 3-6, but easily one of the best of season 1.

The acting of the guest stars was over the top corny bad. As a season finale, easily the worst of all the TNG seasons. The prior episode, "Conspiracy" should have been the natural season finale.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

I pulled the series and watched that episode. I think the only one who'll have trouble adjusting is the businessman. I have all 7 seasons. I'll watch some of them.

Here's a good quick guide to which episodes are worth watching from each season:

http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/tng-episode-guide/

There are few episodes that everyone loves that I can't stand, but other than that his picks are about right.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

That episode wasn't terrible; not up to par with seasons 3-6, but easily one of the best of season 1.

The acting of the guest stars was over the top corny bad. As a season finale, easily the worst of all the TNG seasons. The prior episode, "Conspiracy" should have been the natural season finale.

The guest characters (one in particular) are supposed to be over-the-top corny, in contrast to the "straight man" main characters. The main flaw of the episode is the imbalance between the comedic elements and the plot elements. Seasons 1 and 2 are guilty of this more often than not, to varying degrees.

I agree, "Conspiracy" should've been the finale of season 1. But the season 2 finale "Shades of Gray" is by far the worst finale of TNG and any Star Trek series, and arguably laziest and most boring episode of any series to boot!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Yep, that was terrible too.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Here's a good quick guide to which episodes are worth watching from each season:

http://www.letswatchstartrek.com/tng-episode-guide/

There are few episodes that everyone loves that I can't stand, but other than that his picks are about right.

WOW! That's a bunch. They'll keep me busy. Thanks....

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject:

I'm amazed at William Shatner, Clint Eastwood, Betty White... Heck, I'm impressed when you're still alert at 80, let alone 90 and still making movies, or blasting into space. William Shatner at 60 look like he was in his 40's, and now at 90, he'd pass for 70's. The looks is one thing. I recall someone saying, "Well, he has the money for the surgery." I don't know what surgery he has, but there isn't any surgery that would help snappy brain function at 90, right? Dude is amazing, and Betty is knocking on a century. Wow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I'm amazed at William Shatner, Clint Eastwood, Betty White... Heck, I'm impressed when you're still alert at 80, let alone 90 and still making movies, or blasting into space. William Shatner at 60 look like he was in his 40's, and now at 90, he'd pass for 70's. The looks is one thing. I recall someone saying, "Well, he has the money for the surgery." I don't know what surgery he has, but there isn't any surgery that would help snappy brain function at 90, right? Dude is amazing, and Betty is knocking on a century. Wow.

Why are you so impressed? Don't be. Nancy Pelosi 81. Maxine Waters 83, to name a few. Octogenarians are functional. Don't move as quickly, take a little longer to download and analyze but most times get there.

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Why are you so impressed? Don't be. Nancy Pelosi 81. Maxine Waters 83, to name a few. Octogenarians are functional. Don't move as quickly, take a little longer to download and analyze but most times get there.

It is impressive because not everyone will get there. The health, diet and food choices we make in our lives, the luck of not having any major health issues. CDC has US life expectancy at 78.7. Above average is impressive, no? I guess I'm not saying being fully functional at 80 is impressive, I'm saying the fact that you got there is impressive. Your journey, your road, the choices you made, etc. Just the right amount of choices and good luck.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Top 5 Star Trek movies

1.) Generations
2.) The Undiscovered Country
3.) The Voyage Home
4.) The Search for Spock
5.) The Wrath of Khan

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

It is impressive because not everyone will get there. The health, diet and food choices we make in our lives, the luck of not having any major health issues. CDC has US life expectancy at 78.7. Above average is impressive, no? I guess I'm not saying being fully functional at 80 is impressive, I'm saying the fact that you got there is impressive. Your journey, your road, the choices you made, etc. Just the right amount of choices and good luck.

Maybe in some cases diet, food, not doing drugs may have an effect. I know an octogenarian who abused his body for years using drugs and alcohol, smoked for about 50 years, doesn't have a strict diet. Quit smoking, using, cut way down hard alcohol, now a social drinker, around the age of 60. No major health issue may have something to do with long life. I'm of a belief metabolism should be factored. No proof just a thought. He's been around the same weight since the age of 25. Also, some are of the chosen few.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

Actually, I kind of think psychedelics (psilocybin, in particular) would make for a much richer funeral experience. Wrong kind of "cosmic," I know, but a random thought I had this week.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully Captain Kirk doesn't mate with any alien being this time out!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Maybe in some cases diet, food, not doing drugs may have an effect. I know an octogenarian who abused his body for years using drugs and alcohol, smoked for about 50 years, doesn't have a strict diet. Quit smoking, using, cut way down hard alcohol, now a social drinker, around the age of 60. No major health issue may have something to do with long life. I'm of a belief metabolism should be factored. No proof just a thought. He's been around the same weight since the age of 25. Also, some are of the chosen few.

A significant portion of longevity is genetics and luck. We should all do the things that add to that, but there are 100 year old smokers and 35 year old health nuts dying of cancer (and no kids, that doesn’t mean you should smoke, because that’s one of the biggest ways to impact all but the luckiest set of genes). You can maximize what you got, but you can’t make a Yugo last like a Toyota no matter how well you treat it. You can just maximize the Yugo’s lifespan.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yep. Neither of my parents made it to 80. Though my mom got close. She made it to 79 and a half. Becoming an octogenarian isn't a given, nor is quality of life if one makes it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Yep. Neither of my parents made it to 80. Though my mom got close. She made it to 79 and a half. Becoming an octogenarian isn't a given, nor is quality of life if one makes it.

Quality of life is not a given but don't think wheelchair. Some can still swing a golf club.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Quality of life is not a given but don't think wheelchair. Some can still swing a golf club.

Interesting you mention that. My dad turns 80 in January and he still averages about 230-240 off the tee and routinely shoots under his age. (Just shot 81 today and had a 77 last week.) The man is an ox.

I do echo some of what Omar and DMR were saying, that a lot of it is basically genetics and luck, but, of course, you still want to put yourself in better positions (don't smoke cigarettes or do hard drugs or drink to excess, try to at least get an hour of some type of exercise daily, etc). I've had a great aunt live to be 104 and every one of my older relatives that lived past senior citizen age at least made it to their late 70's, with many into their late 80's or early 90's. My great aunt was the old age outlier. With that, though, I also had a cousin die of brain cancer in his early 40's. You just never know. That's why you have to live your life doing what you want to do, not to please anyone else, and to eliminate negative energy in your life wherever it's realistically possible.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject:

Captain Kirk to beam up shortly. Stand by.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject:

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

I hope Kirk packed some extra diapers.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Interesting you mention that. My dad turns 80 in January and he still averages about 230-240 off the tee and routinely shoots under his age. (Just shot 81 today and had a 77 last week.) The man is an ox.

I do echo some of what Omar and DMR were saying, that a lot of it is basically genetics and luck, but, of course, you still want to put yourself in better positions (don't smoke cigarettes or do hard drugs or drink to excess, try to at least get an hour of some type of exercise daily, etc). I've had a great aunt live to be 104 and every one of my older relatives that lived past senior citizen age at least made it to their late 70's, with many into their late 80's or early 90's. My great aunt was the old age outlier. With that, though, I also had a cousin die of brain cancer in his early 40's. You just never know. That's why you have to live your life doing what you want to do, not to please anyone else, and to eliminate negative energy in your life wherever it's realistically possible.

Thank you for sharing all that wisdom there

Attitude truly is everything
Our thoughts do more good or more bad than we currently comprehend.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject:

They made it up and back. The landing of the rocket was more impressive than the take-off. Now the capsule is soft landing. This is the first one of these I've watched live in ages. Exciting and impressive.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

Nothing like billionaire white privilege in action. Good thing the flight was short so Shat didn't have to pee in a bottle like Bezos's employees.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Nothing like billionaire white privilege in action. Good thing the flight was short so Shat didn't have to pee in a bottle like Bezos's employees.

Listening to Shatner talking with Bezos afterward, it almost sounds as if he’s high.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Listening to Shatner talking with Bezos afterward, it almost sounds as if he’s high.

Naw, just a blowhard who's full of himself trying to sound philosophical.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: