LCD prjoection vs DLP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: LCD prjoection vs DLP?

OKay, I saw a couple of projection TVs that are very inexpensive. (samsung, sony) Ive considered them since I dont intend to mount anything in my apt. Ive tried looking around for some info(cons/pros) but wasnt able to find much.

Any recommendations against or for? Can you guys explain the difference between LCD projection and DLP(mirros right?) projection?

Thanks.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LCD prjoection vs DLP?

Laker_Town wrote:
OKay, I saw a couple of projection TVs that are very inexpensive. (samsung, sony) Ive considered them since I dont intend to mount anything in my apt. Ive tried looking around for some info(cons/pros) but wasnt able to find much.

Any recommendations against or for? Can you guys explain the difference between LCD projection and DLP(mirros right?) projection?

Thanks.

DLP = Better Black Levels/ Replaceable bulbs
LCD= Cheaper, and everything else is the same as DLP except what i mentioned.

Their honestly very similar, ide save the money and get myself an LCD Projection. My arguments against the bulbs is, im not going too keep a tv for 20 years. Technology is every changing, and i think u will get enough use out an LCD too justify not being able too renew it like a DLP. LCD does last very long, its not a plasma, just saying thats the plus of a DLP. If prices are equal, get DLP. If its going too cost u hundereds more, ide grab the LCD. Chances are u arent going too find a 50 inch LCD and DLP at the same price. Its going too be considerably more for DLP. Also read up in more details about this on google if you want, this is just some basic things i picked up when i was researching it awhile back.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject:

DLP, just make sure to get the long-ass warranty.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I own an LCD rear projection and a Plasma. I get just as good or possibly a better picture out of my LCD. But if you get an LCD rear projection stick with Sony. DLP from what I've seen is about the same as a Sony LCD r.p. So get whatever is bigger and cheaper. Keep in mind, if you get HD Cable or Dish you can sit much closer than a tube. For example with my 60 incher I sit about 8.5 feet away, which is the recommended distance. Good luck.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Okay so I jumped on a sony 3lcd projection. However, Ive got some issues with my HD cable. The Tv is rated at 720p but from my Time Warner cable , I only get 480i? IS this the feed from them? Im just messing around with the settings...but I cant seem to find jack?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Okay so I jumped on a sony 3lcd projection. However, Ive got some issues with my HD cable. The Tv is rated at 720p but from my Time Warner cable , I only get 480i? IS this the feed from them? Im just messing around with the settings...but I cant seem to find jack?

480 is basic signal u get over regular tvs its not HD. Too get HD prgoraming call Time Warner up and ask for the HD package if u want the HD channels. U have too pay more, if u already have digital box, its like 5 or 10 bucks more too upgrade too the HD Box.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject:

avsforum.com

DLP can provide a great image BUT consider bulb lifespan (or lack thereof) and moving parts. Collapsed light tunnels are not uncommon and expensive to fix.

LCD projection don't have the moving parts but won't produce the blacks of DLP

All current rear projection use bulbs. Lifespan can be short, just 2,000 hours and cost $200 and up to replace. Plus they have slow start times and they have to cool before they can be restarted (they uses fans to cool the bulb after you turn the set off).

Samsung has new LED powered rear projection sets.

Amazon link

Panny has new LIFI powered lcd projection sets coming out soon

Amazon link

Unless you want something really huge you might consider a plasma instead
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

480 is basic signal u get over regular tvs its not HD. Too get HD prgoraming call Time Warner up and ask for the HD package if u want the HD channels. U have too pay more, if u already have digital box, its like 5 or 10 bucks more too upgrade too the HD Box.

Im actuallt supposed to have HD programming..Unles:

friday I called TW, and operator sent over some signals that gave me an error message(on the HD box)...Maybe Ill call them tomorrow again. Plus I can access the HD channels..should I be able to without and HD subscription?
I was actually watching espnhd...but info still said 480i
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Im actuallt supposed to have HD programming..Unles:

friday I called TW, and operator sent over some signals that gave me an error message(on the HD box)...Maybe Ill call them tomorrow again. Plus I can access the HD channels..should I be able to without and HD subscription?
I was actually watching espnhd...but info still said 480i

Well im a bit confused by it all sometimes. I can pickup 3 HD's premium channels with an "HD Box" or any type of box provide by the cable company. I jus have basica cable but my tv picks up Espn HD, Tnt HD and Universal HD. My sister on the other has too get an HD Box too get access too any HD channels, she gets like 14 of them overall. About espn hd the info saying 480i, thats odd. I pick it up @ 720p. I dont think u can pick up espn hd and see it in 480i , i don think thats possible. Because Espn HD is broadcasy is HD, and if its shown on your HD TV, it should show in HD.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

okay..i had to change the settings on the HD box..it was set for only 480i output..

Question: DO you get choice of HDMI or componet cables when cable techie come by to install? (time warner)
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
okay..i had to change the settings on the HD box..it was set for only 480i output..

Question: DO you get choice of HDMI or componet cables when cable techie come by to install? (time warner)

Its your choice, both receive the same HD signals. HDMI will carry audio/video in one cable, and 1080 p, which u dont have. If your tv has one hdmi/1 component slot, u use one for a cable box and one for a HD DVD player whenever u get one. If u plan on buying an upconverting player, you will need too have that player plugged in through the hdmi port, so keep that in mind. The laws dont allow upconversion through component cables, they have it set up that way.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Its your choice, both receive the same HD signals. HDMI will carry audio/video in one cable, and 1080 p, which u dont have. If your tv has one hdmi/1 component slot, u use one for a cable box and one for a HD DVD player whenever u get one. If u plan on buying an upconverting player, you will need too have that player plugged in through the hdmi port, so keep that in mind. The laws dont allow upconversion through component cables, they have it set up that way.

Im actually researching about dvd players now..My tube set was setup up with my old xbox. ON the new tv, it looks bad...I tried on the 360 and the image was better. However, I dont want to move the 360 and im looking for an decent, cheap, and reliable new dvd player

I am so out of the loop, its not even funny...So the upconvert dvds can "amplify" the signal/image to 720/1080? If so, are they all capable of these ratings? I feel silly asking this, but what is the difference between a progressive and upconverting dvd?(ive using the xbox's for so damn long

Ive seen a couple cheap unconverting dvds for around the 60 dollar mark? Any recommendations on what to avoid?

Thanks..Helping me A LOT!
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

I see you took my advice...good for you. BTW how did you get it so fast?
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Im actually researching about dvd players now..My tube set was setup up with my old xbox. ON the new tv, it looks bad...I tried on the 360 and the image was better. However, I dont want to move the 360 and im looking for an decent, cheap, and reliable new dvd player

I am so out of the loop, its not even funny...So the upconvert dvds can "amplify" the signal/image to 720/1080? If so, are they all capable of these ratings? I feel silly asking this, but what is the difference between a progressive and upconverting dvd?(ive using the xbox's for so damn long

Ive seen a couple cheap unconverting dvds for around the 60 dollar mark? Any recommendations on what to avoid?

Thanks..Helping me A LOT!

Progressive Scan, has been around a couple years now, its not HD quality, it takes your Standard DVD's and take the quality from 480i too 480p, if u have an HD TV. Difference is minimal, but you will see a bit of difference.

HD DVD Upconversion player, take your Standard DVD's which are 480i, too HD quality which is 720p/1080i. It wont be true HD quality because your using the same disc, but their is an improvment. Good investment if you have a huge DVD collection and arent going too want too rebuy all of those movies in HD DVD or Blu Ray. Relatively cheap, anywhere from 80 -100 dollars ive seen them for on the net or in stores.

HD DVD Player, this is one of the next formats, its price is high now because its a relatively new technology but prices have been dropping steadly, its about 300 dollars for the first generation Toshiba HD DVD Player. I read you have an xbox 360, so what u could do is purchas the Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-on, its 200 dollars in stores. But you can find it on ebay for 140, in "like new" condition. I did that, and it was perfect condition like the details said, i got it from one of those ebay stores.

Blu Ray Player , this is the other of the next format. The price is really high right now, its about 600- 700 dollars starting price.

Both formats are in a "war" right now, both sides want their format too win. Blu ray is backed by sony, and has a ton of excelusive deals signed, they will only have disney movies etc. Its alot of research if u think about buyin a nex gen dvd player. The xbox 360 hd dvd player is probably the best investment if your on a tight budget, because players than can play both formats are out and prices will dive in a few years. So your purchases of HD DVD players or Blu Ray wont be for not. Some of their upcoming movies are The Matrix Trilogy,Harry Potter Series,Oceans Series, LOTR Trilogy,Star Wars Series. All of these are also scheduled too appear on Blu Ray as well except for Oceans's ,universal in the only company exclusives with HD DVD.

*If your are considering getting an upconversion player for 100 dollars ide considered just picking up the xbox 360 add-on. Because it can upconvert movies for you through a VGA input, assuming your TV has that input also. And it would play HD DVDs.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

I noticed LG has a player that plays HD DVD and Blu-Ray, $1200.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Well Id been researching them for a while...and every time I went to the store, Id end up looking at TVs for hours, only to go home empty handed. I finally decided on the sony mainly because of the price..Its my first big screen, and I decided i didnt need the biggest, baddest tv. Id been comparing the sony to the samsung, and while the samsung DLP seemed very bright, it also looked a little unatural..Im not sure what it was.

I looked up the bulb replacement on the sony and its only 150 avg. Im still testing it out...just changed the settings on my cable box, and image is very much improved..HD channels look great.

SD channels: OKay, but on some, more than others, I notice some blur on faces..
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Well Id been researching them for a while...and every time I went to the store, Id end up looking at TVs for hours, only to go home empty handed. I finally decided on the sony mainly because of the price..Its my first big screen, and I decided i didnt need the biggest, baddest tv. Id been comparing the sony to the samsung, and while the samsung DLP seemed very bright, it also looked a little unatural..Im not sure what it was.

I looked up the bulb replacement on the sony and its only 150 avg. Im still testing it out...just changed the settings on my cable box, and image is very much improved..HD channels look great.

Great choice. I did the same thing. I spent about three months checking out TVs and going home and finally settled on the Sony. The picture is as good or better than most of the Plasmas that I've seen. Plus it is 60 inches. What size did you get?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

go with a sharp Aquos or a Toshiba. Both LCD flat screens that are great quality.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Great choice. I did the same thing. I spent about three months checking out TVs and going home and finally settled on the Sony. The picture is as good or better than most of the Plasmas that I've seen. Plus it is 60 inches. What size did you get?

Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

You were smart on checking price on bulb replacement, some brands can be much higher. I bought a Sony rp nearly 2 years ago and have been really happy with it. Great value considering price/picture quality/size.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: