Other
33%
 33%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 68

Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject:

For you hip hop aficionados, how does history rank artists/groups like The Roots, Mobb Deep, Black Star, Wu Tang, and Nas? They don't even make the poll list but they were among my faves growing up.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:

50 cent and Snoop do not belong. People like Rakim, Nas, Ice Cube, Big L, Eminem probably do.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
For you hip hop aficionados, how does history rank artists/groups like The Roots, Mobb Deep, Black Star, Wu Tang, and Nas? They don't even make the poll list but they were among my faves growing up.

C'mon, you hittin' the youngsters too hard with those artists, bro .
chi-townKOBE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Weezy and Tip fa sho
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Other

I'm not a biter I'm a writer I'm a biter not a writer
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
skin wrote:
jack13 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
The OP needs to take my Hip Hop 101 class - IMMEDIATELY.

A "Top X" list is SOLELY dependent on one's knowledge of Hip Hop. Which means if they think Hip Hop started when Pac, Biggie, and Jay Z dropped, then their list is gonna be pretty weak overall.

Also, if they see "Rap" more so than Hip Hop, then their list is really gonna be weak. Their criteria is gonna be pretty soft, and it would normally include record sales, which is bogus in my book.

So, having said that, I base my top 10 list off: Originality, Delivery/Flow/Style, Lyrical Content.

1 - Rakim
2 - Baby Professor
3 - Dave/Trugoy
4 - Q-Tip
5 - KRSOne
6 - Chuck D
7 - Common
8 - Pac
9 - Posdnous
10 - Sonny Cheeba

Notice no "I-rap-about-blingage". No "I-rap-about-hoes". No fake-ass-champagne-sippin'-moneymakers. Pac - the exception since he has rapped about the material life - makes the list due to his inner struggle between conscious and thug, therefore, his content was across the board and his inner turmoil was played out in his raps.

Consciousness is how I roll.

Sorry dude but your list is laughable
LOL all you're doing is throwing a bunch of random hip-hop artists in that list; most of them unknown or weak. Ok Common's great, Pac's great, Rakim maybe, but other than that... I mean come on..

KRS-One weak??? De La Soul random?!?!? Q-Tip unknown!!!! I'm speechless

I understand that things could get bad with a thread like this, but after the comment about random/unkown/weak, I'm shocked. If it was top 5 money makers or most popular MCs I'd understand, but when you talk about best you have to have KRS-One on that list (if not a spot higher LB). If I made a comment like that, I'd look at this as an opportunity to listen to them/hear them(White Men Can't Jump) and then decide.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
TACH wrote:
skin wrote:
jack13 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

A "Top X" list is SOLELY dependent on one's knowledge of Hip Hop. Which means if they think Hip Hop started when Pac, Biggie, and Jay Z dropped, then their list is gonna be pretty weak overall.

Also, if they see "Rap" more so than Hip Hop, then their list is really gonna be weak. Their criteria is gonna be pretty soft, and it would normally include record sales, which is bogus in my book.

So, having said that, I base my top 10 list off: Originality, Delivery/Flow/Style, Lyrical Content.

1 - Rakim
2 - Baby Professor
3 - Dave/Trugoy
4 - Q-Tip
5 - KRSOne
6 - Chuck D
7 - Common
8 - Pac
9 - Posdnous
10 - Sonny Cheeba

Notice no "I-rap-about-blingage". No "I-rap-about-hoes". No fake-ass-champagne-sippin'-moneymakers. Pac - the exception since he has rapped about the material life - makes the list due to his inner struggle between conscious and thug, therefore, his content was across the board and his inner turmoil was played out in his raps.

LOL all you're doing is throwing a bunch of random hip-hop artists in that list; most of them unknown or weak. Ok Common's great, Pac's great, Rakim maybe, but other than that... I mean come on..

I understand that things could get bad with a thread like this, but after the comment about random/unkown/weak, I'm shocked. If it was top 5 money makers or most popular MCs I'd understand, but when you talk about best you have to have KRS-One on that list (if not a spot higher LB). If I made a comment like that, I'd look at this as an opportunity to listen to them/hear them(White Men Can't Jump) and then decide.

Exactly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
TACH wrote:
skin wrote:
jack13 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Rakim
2 - Baby Professor
3 - Dave/Trugoy
4 - Q-Tip
5 - KRSOne
6 - Chuck D
7 - Common
8 - Pac
9 - Posdnous
10 - Sonny Cheeba

Exactly.

Good list LB, but no love for my boy Mos Def?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
TACH wrote:
skin wrote:
jack13 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Rakim
2 - Baby Professor
3 - Dave/Trugoy
4 - Q-Tip
5 - KRSOne
6 - Chuck D
7 - Common
8 - Pac
9 - Posdnous
10 - Sonny Cheeba

Exactly.

Ahhhhhh...That was my dilemma - Pac or Mos, since I was rolling with the "Conscious Cats". Then I was torn between Mos and Kweli, but then I just went with Sonny from Camp Lo because I liked his flow overall more than Mos' and Talib's. But, dawg, don't hold me to that list! Next week it could have Talib and Mos on it, as well as Pharoah Monch!
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:

fitty shouldn't even be in the top 100 rappers of all time. Snoop, shouldn't be there either. He had 1 great album IMO (Doggystyle). The key rappers that were missing are AT LEAST Chuck D, KRS, GZA, Guru, NAS and maybe even ice cube and dre.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:
TACH wrote:
skin wrote:
jack13 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Rakim
2 - Baby Professor
3 - Dave/Trugoy
4 - Q-Tip
5 - KRSOne
6 - Chuck D
7 - Common
8 - Pac
9 - Posdnous
10 - Sonny Cheeba

Exactly.

Ahhhhhh...That was my dilemma - Pac or Mos, since I was rolling with the "Conscious Cats". Then I was torn between Mos and Kweli, but then I just went with Sonny from Camp Lo because I liked his flow overall more than Mos' and Talib's. But, dawg, don't hold me to that list! Next week it could have Talib and Mos on it, as well as Pharoah Monch!

I always found PAC's acquiescence to the whole "thug" thing ruined what was otherwise some good poetic skill. Def has no such problem...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I always found PAC's acquiescence to the whole "thug" thing ruined what was otherwise some good poetic skill. Def has no such problem...

Pac was easily Hip Hop's greatest enigma. That dude's inner struggle was unlike anything I've ever seen. He had Black Panther roots but had Thug/Gangster aspirations. He wanted to change the world but he wanted to defeat himself in the process. There was a rapper called Intelligent Hoodlum - THAT moniker should have been Pac's.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
fitty shouldn't even be in the top 100 rappers of all time. Snoop, shouldn't be there either. He had 1 great album IMO (Doggystyle). The key rappers that were missing are AT LEAST Chuck D, KRS, GZA, Guru, NAS and maybe even ice cube and dre.

Damn. How could I forget Guru? Top 10 lsts are too stressful.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to say that Pac's gangsta-rap from 96' ISN'T his best stuff though. His music at that time is very good, both lyrically and commercially.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

THE BEST RAPPERS OF ALL TIME ARE THE CURRENT BEST SELLARS ON BILLBOARD SINGLES SO THEY ARE:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=Hot+R%26B%2FHip-Hop+Songs

1. LIL WAYNE
2. MARIAH CAREY
3. USHER AKA YOUNG JEEZY
4. ASHANTI
5. RICK ROSS

HOLLA!
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

Pac was easily Hip Hop's greatest enigma. That dude's inner struggle was unlike anything I've ever seen. He had Black Panther roots but had Thug/Gangster aspirations. He wanted to change the world but he wanted to defeat himself in the process. There was a rapper called Intelligent Hoodlum - THAT moniker should have been Pac's.

DON'T FORGET HE WAS ALSO A HAMMERTIME DANCER FOR DIGITAL UNDERGROUND
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

DON'T FORGET HE WAS ALSO A HAMMERTIME DANCER FOR DIGITAL UNDERGROUND

"The Humpty Dance, here's ya chance to the hump!"
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I see a horrible list. not really more of a "i'm young" list. and thats cool.

I also see replies that are missing Jay z. way to many of you guys are hating on the guy because 1 of two things have happened. 1. you believed what they told you about him(that all he raps about is money) or 2. He's been in your face for so many years now. You wish he would just disappear.it happens to all the greats in rap/r&B/soul.

BUt this what I'll do for you. I wont give you my list. but I'll give you ....well the craziest Hiphop Playlist ever assembled(that doesn't include every rappers best singles). there are some singles and a lot of songs that only people who liked these artist will remember because they had the tape, album, or the cd. now listen closely, make sure to put it on random, the random or shuffle button is next to the play button. thats the best way to listen to it. i'm still adding to it as we speak. I'm almost thru with the south. sorry soulja boy didn't make the cut. but neither did too live crew. for obvious reasons. one thing, beware of explicit lyrics, there was no way for me to get edited songs for all of these songs. if you're young Please, Please please put this baby on random and listen. This is what i grew up listening to. this is why we old heas(semi old heads) talk so badly of rap today and how there is no variety.

the list starts in the 80's and goes to the 2000's. East coast, west coast(bay area, L.A., san diego, Seattle, and vegas), south(all of the south), midwest(chicago, cleveland, etc) I might have every female rapper besides roxanne(the beat couldn't stand the test of time, sorry), that has ever meant anything to the game. IT goes from back packer hiphop, to gangsta/street, to pimp, to bling and back.

There will be another link below this huge playlist. and thats what i call adrenaline mix. its for working out, playing ball, or just something to give you that energy feel.

remember put it on shuffle/random (600+ songs)

http://www.imeem.com/people/JLT3tFD/playlist/pFNIiwzI/80s_to_00s_hiphop_mix_east_coast_west_coast_mid_west_s/

here's the other link (95 songs/ andrenalin mix)

http://www.imeem.com/people/JLT3tFD/playlist/heg3b0oR/adrenaline_mix_music_playlist/
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

I also see replies that are missing Jay z. way to many of you guys are hating on the guy because 1 of two things have happened. 1. you believed what they told you about him(that all he raps about is money) or 2. He's been in your face for so many years now. You wish he would just disappear.it happens to all the greats in rap/r&B/soul.

BUt this what I'll do for you. I wont give you my list. but I'll give you ....well the craziest Hiphop Playlist ever assembled(that doesn't include every rappers best singles). there are some singles and a lot of songs that only people who liked these artist will remember because they had the tape, album, or the cd. now listen closely, make sure to put it on random, the random or shuffle button is next to the play button. thats the best way to listen to it. i'm still adding to it as we speak. I'm almost thru with the south. sorry soulja boy didn't make the cut. but neither did too live crew. for obvious reasons. one thing, beware of explicit lyrics, there was no way for me to get edited songs for all of these songs. if you're young Please, Please please put this baby on random and listen. This is what i grew up listening to. this is why we old heas(semi old heads) talk so badly of rap today and how there is no variety.

the list starts in the 80's and goes to the 2000's. East coast, west coast(bay area, L.A., san diego, Seattle, and vegas), south(all of the south), midwest(chicago, cleveland, etc) I might have every female rapper besides roxanne(the beat couldn't stand the test of time, sorry), that has ever meant anything to the game. IT goes from back packer hiphop, to gangsta/street, to pimp, to bling and back.

There will be another link below this huge playlist. and thats what i call adrenaline mix. its for working out, playing ball, or just something to give you that energy feel.

http://www.imeem.com/people/JLT3tFD/playlist/pFNIiwzI/80s_to_00s_hiphop_mix_east_coast_west_coast_mid_west_s/

http://www.imeem.com/people/JLT3tFD/playlist/heg3b0oR/adrenaline_mix_music_playlist/

just added joe budden, glasses malone, bishop lamont, sly boogy, jungle brothers, 3 times dope, to the super large playlist above. still adding.

i even have some of the newer classic freestyle/punch line rappers going up against each other. 20mins session of lady luck vs remy ma. (crazy).

added a little bit of dipset(all of them), still need to find more cameron that isn't mixtape stuff.

Yes we have Wu-tang(wu gambinos, suns of man, cappadona, meth, inspecta deck, rza, gza, rae, ghost, ol dirty, Ugod, grave diggaz). oops, just added shyheim(the sickest little kid rapper of all time at that age.)

just added kris kross, and house of pain. i told yall, you have never seen a list with this variety, this large. that isn't all singles. some are, and a lot are not.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

just added joe budden, glasses malone, bishop lamont, sly boogy, jungle brothers, 3 times dope, to the super large playlist above. still adding.

i even have some of the newer classic freestyle/punch line rappers going up against each other. 20mins session of lady luck vs remy ma. (crazy).

added a little bit of dipset(all of them), still need to find more cameron that isn't mixtape stuff.

Yes we have Wu-tang(wu gambinos, suns of man, cappadona, meth, inspecta deck, rza, gza, rae, ghost, ol dirty, Ugod, grave diggaz). oops, just added shyheim(the sickest little kid rapper of all time at that age.)

just added kris kross, and house of pain. i told yall, you have never seen a list with this variety, this large. that isn't all singles. some are, and a lot are not.

I'm upping this one more time for your listening pleasure. yall hiphop heads better stop messing around and get on these two playlist above. as stated above, make sure to play the big playlist on random/shuffle.

oh and the big list is up to 799 songs and counting.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure I could put together a list that short. Any list would have to begin with the artists on TACH's avatar. Those are the pillars.

I have to say, TACH easily has the best avatar on this site. Those albums are like the soundtrack to my life...even still.

I'm not feeling the new repetitive nonsense these days. There's no art to it.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I have to say, TACH easily has the best avatar on this site. Those albums are like the soundtrack to my life...even still.

Thanks. I will be updating it soon, I collected some new cover art to add...

I know exactly what you mean... with a good number of those albums, I can remember exactly where I was when i first heard them...

EPMD - You Gots To Chill - 10th Grade Mechanical Drawing Class
ATCQ - Low End Theory - My girl's dorm room junior year of college
Blackmoon - Who Got The Props - My boy Kyle's living room (I believe I heard Lords of the Underground Chief Rocka and Craig Mack's Flava In Your Ear that day as well)

I could go on, but the Laker game is about to start!

BTW:

Quote:
Little Brother Returns With Second LP In Less Than Year
May 15th, 2008 | Author: Jake Paine
After last year's critically acclaimed Get Back, Little Brother is returning with And Justus For All on their own co-operative Hall Of Justus imprint. The project began as the Mick Boogie-hosted mixtape used to promote Get Back. The work featured appearances from Black Star, Ray Cash and AZ as well as production from RJD2.

"We decided to officially release And Justus For All for the fans. Since all of our mixtapes are more like actual albums, many people have been requesting us for deejay free versions of these mixtapes. So to all of the fans out there that's been asking for it, you're welcome," Rapper Big Pooh told HipHopDX today.

Now packaged as an "official album," And Justus For All features five new songs, released specifically for this project. Two additional new songs are appearing on the digital version of the June 10 release, available on iTunes. Among the bonus songs, "Black Light Special" will reunite the group with former producer and deejaying third member 9th Wonder. Four of the other new tracks are produced by longtime affiliate Khrysis.

Oh No! and Tiye Phoenix of Polyrhythm Addicts make appearances, as DJ Spinna also produces a track. Traffic Entertainment will be the release's distributor.

Link

Black Star! Little Brother with 9th Wonder! AZ! RJD2! Can't wait!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Thanks. I will be updating it soon, I collected some new cover art to add...

I know exactly what you mean... with a good number of those albums, I can remember exactly where I was when i first heard them...

EPMD - You Gots To Chill - 10th Grade Mechanical Drawing Class
ATCQ - Low End Theory - My girl's dorm room junior year of college
Blackmoon - Who Got The Props - My boy Kyle's living room (I believe I heard Lords of the Underground Chief Rocka and Craig Mack's Flava In Your Ear that day as well)

I could go on, but the Laker game is about to start!

BTW:

Quote:
Little Brother Returns With Second LP In Less Than Year
May 15th, 2008 | Author: Jake Paine
After last year's critically acclaimed Get Back, Little Brother is returning with And Justus For All on their own co-operative Hall Of Justus imprint. The project began as the Mick Boogie-hosted mixtape used to promote Get Back. The work featured appearances from Black Star, Ray Cash and AZ as well as production from RJD2.

"We decided to officially release And Justus For All for the fans. Since all of our mixtapes are more like actual albums, many people have been requesting us for deejay free versions of these mixtapes. So to all of the fans out there that's been asking for it, you're welcome," Rapper Big Pooh told HipHopDX today.

Now packaged as an "official album," And Justus For All features five new songs, released specifically for this project. Two additional new songs are appearing on the digital version of the June 10 release, available on iTunes. Among the bonus songs, "Black Light Special" will reunite the group with former producer and deejaying third member 9th Wonder. Four of the other new tracks are produced by longtime affiliate Khrysis.

Oh No! and Tiye Phoenix of Polyrhythm Addicts make appearances, as DJ Spinna also produces a track. Traffic Entertainment will be the release's distributor.

Link

Black Star! Little Brother with 9th Wonder! AZ! RJD2! Can't wait!

I'm going hard over here Tach.

http://www.imeem.com/flehox/music/u7yJ6qCM/nas_lifes_a_bitch_remix/

^^thats on the big list also. just added dilated peoples and J-5.

You think I forgot..

http://www.imeem.com/groups/OzbysE0f/music/KTBBWXTS/paris_the_days_of_old/

come on tach^^ i am hiphop.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:

skin wrote:
Way to masterfully declare your ignorance of hip hop to the world.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
skin wrote:
Way to masterfully declare your ignorance of hip hop to the world.

Don't even bother with such responses. He obviously does not know the history of Hip-Hop. Rakim >>> 2Pac. Don't Sweat The Technique >>> 2Pac's entire discography.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: