How and why is the Evolution theory considered plausible? (purely a science question)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject:

If a cricket can evolve to mimick a tree branch/a leaf or if a plant can mimick it's leaf to look like an insect... that means there is a way to naturally alter your DNA even if it takes a long time (hard to believe it's 'random' selection)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
If a cricket can evolve to mimick a tree branch/a leaf or if a plant can mimick it's leaf to look like an insect... that means there is a way to naturally alter your DNA even if it takes a long time (hard to believe it's 'random' selection)

Think of the covid virus. It isn’t sentient. It doesn’t think its way through mutation. Like everything else it mutates constantly as it replicates. Some mutations are beneficial to its spread and replication, and thus become dominant, while some are not, and die off. People focus on the beneficial mutations and grant them a “plan” because they don’t see the bazillion unbeneficial mutations that just die off.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

even-toed mammals were thought to be more closely related to each other than any of them were to whales. The new study challenges that idea. It says hippos and cud-chewing mammals like cows, sheep and deer are more closely related to whales, dolphins and porpoises than they are to other even-toed mammals like pigs and camels.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

Think of the covid virus. It isn’t sentient. It doesn’t think its way through mutation. Like everything else it mutates constantly as it replicates. Some mutations are beneficial to its spread and replication, and thus become dominant, while some are not, and die off. People focus on the beneficial mutations and grant them a “plan” because they don’t see the bazillion unbeneficial mutations that just die off.

Exactly. And that happens concurrently with everything else in the environment so what is "beneficial" is always influenced by external forces that are constantly changing. The common example cited is moths in England during the industrial revolution. There was a species of moth that was light gray in color with occasional mutations of a dark gray color. The lighter moths prospered because they blended in with the environment. But as pollution levels rose and soot discolored buildings, trees and rocks, the darker mutation was then more conducive to blending in and they become the prominent mutation. As pollution declined, that dynamic shifted back to favor the lighter mutation. The change in the preponderance wasn't dictated by the moths mutations, it was a function of the environmental shifts around them.

So it's not at all about a plan, but a series of coincidences that lead to "happy accidents".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Haha, let me say to Larry Coon that I appreciate your responses to my post and the posts of several others here in this thread... eleven years ago. I don't know how I came across it right now, but here we are.

Hopefully you don't mind me responding so late to some of the points you made:

Right now I do, yeah, since I have a major event coming up that I don't have enough time to prepare for -- especially to respond to an 11 year old thread.

I did glance through what you wrote, and without being able to take the time right now to be specific, I can just respond in general that you falsely equate natural selection with randomness, you poorly define terms, you have false premises, you give false dichotomies, arguments from incredulity and a number of other logical fallacies.

I also have very little motivation to invest any time in a dialogue that hasn't moved a freaking inch in 11 years. When all you points were addressed over and over (in this thread and others, and also in a whole bunch of literature that's available to you) and keeps making the same debunked points yet again, what makes you think I'm motivated to start from square one again?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Our understanding of the universe changes over time, and things we understand as laws now may change as well.

That being said, I don't expect this thread to stay open too long.

12 years and counting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

Reading back through this thread, I’m struck by how you could exchange vaccination for evolution and start the whole thing up again and get the same results.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
joeblow wrote:
Haha, let me say to Larry Coon that I appreciate your responses to my post and the posts of several others here in this thread... eleven years ago. I don't know how I came across it right now, but here we are.

Hopefully you don't mind me responding so late to some of the points you made:

Right now I do, yeah, since I have a major event coming up that I don't have enough time to prepare for -- especially to respond to an 11 year old thread.

I did glance through what you wrote, and without being able to take the time right now to be specific, I can just respond in general that you falsely equate natural selection with randomness, you poorly define terms, you have false premises, you give false dichotomies, arguments from incredulity and a number of other logical fallacies.

I also have very little motivation to invest any time in a dialogue that hasn't moved a freaking inch in 11 years. When all you points were addressed over and over (in this thread and others, and also in a whole bunch of literature that's available to you) and keeps making the same debunked points yet again, what makes you think I'm motivated to start from square one again?

Eh, in some ways you misrepresented what I said, but I'll honor your desire not get into it any further here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: