Best NFL Running Back of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just following your train of thought. But seriously, I think we just measure the criteria differently, and measure opportunity-as-skill differently as well.

We can agree he's a HOF back and both a great rusher and receiver, and leave it there.

Read back. I was saying, as an RB, a lot of his routes generate from level 1 while a WR's routes usually begin at level 3, level 2 at worst. But again, this wasn't about his YPC, this was about his ability as a WR.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:

Best RB? Bo Jackson

But he should have only played in the NFL, it might have prolonged his career.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
Best RB? Bo Jackson

But he should have only played in the NFL, it might have prolonged his career.
I think it was going to happen regardless, it was a unknown preexisting issue with his hip. Damn shame too... Bo was one of two athletes I idolized growing. Bo Jackson's Raider Jersey is the only jersey I've ever bought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject:

I never heard of it being a pre-existing condition, he just came down in a weird-ass way. Some say roids could've played a role in it, but I HOPE that wasn't the case. But Bo would've been the GOAT had he stuck to football and not gotten hurt. 6'1, 235lbs., 4.3 40? Ridiculous.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
I never heard of it being a pre-existing condition, he just came down in a weird-ass way. Some say roids could've played a role in it, but I HOPE that wasn't the case. But Bo would've been the GOAT had he stuck to football and not gotten hurt. 6'1, 235lbs., 4.3 40? Ridiculous.

Quote:
On January 13, 1991, during a Raiders playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Jackson suffered a serious hip injury while being tackled by linebacker Kevin Walker. The injury ended his football career and seriously threatened his baseball career. After Jackson was tackled and lying in pain on the ground, he allegedly popped his hip back into place. In an interview on Untold, his Royals' teammate George Brett, who attended the game, said he asked the trainer what had happened to Bo. The trainer replied "Bo says he felt his hip come out of the socket, so he popped it back in, but that's just impossible, no one's that strong."

Following surgery and rehabilitation on his injured hip, it was discovered that Jackson had avascular necrosis, as a result of decreased blood supply to the head of his left femur. This caused deterioration of the femoral head, ultimately requiring that the hip be replaced. Jackson missed the entire 1992 baseball season. When he announced soon after his surgery that he would play baseball again, many thought that goal to be unrealistic, especially at the Major League level.
Before returning to his true professional sports, Bo tried his luck in basketball. Being a natural athlete, Bo played briefly for a semi-pro basketball team in L.A. Jackson quickly retired.
Jackson was able to return to the Chicago White Sox in 1993, and in his first at-bat, against the New York Yankees, he homered on his first swing. The next day Nike ran a full-page ad in USA Today; it simply read "Bo Knew."

He would hit 16 home runs and 45 RBIs that season; yet while his power remained, he no longer possessed his blazing speed. During his time with the White Sox, Jackson had no stolen bases, though he did play in his only career postseason games. For the 1994 season, he was signed as a free agent by the California Angels for one final season, where he hit another 13 home runs in 201 at bats, before retiring during the strike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject:

his 40 time was 4.12
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:
On January 13, 1991, during a Raiders playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Jackson suffered a serious hip injury while being tackled by linebacker Kevin Walker. The injury ended his football career and seriously threatened his baseball career. After Jackson was tackled and lying in pain on the ground, he allegedly popped his hip back into place. In an interview on Untold, his Royals' teammate George Brett, who attended the game, said he asked the trainer what had happened to Bo. The trainer replied "Bo says he felt his hip come out of the socket, so he popped it back in, but that's just impossible, no one's that strong."

Following surgery and rehabilitation on his injured hip, it was discovered that Jackson had avascular necrosis, as a result of decreased blood supply to the head of his left femur. This caused deterioration of the femoral head, ultimately requiring that the hip be replaced. Jackson missed the entire 1992 baseball season. When he announced soon after his surgery that he would play baseball again, many thought that goal to be unrealistic, especially at the Major League level.
Before returning to his true professional sports, Bo tried his luck in basketball. Being a natural athlete, Bo played briefly for a semi-pro basketball team in L.A. Jackson quickly retired.
Jackson was able to return to the Chicago White Sox in 1993, and in his first at-bat, against the New York Yankees, he homered on his first swing. The next day Nike ran a full-page ad in USA Today; it simply read "Bo Knew."

He would hit 16 home runs and 45 RBIs that season; yet while his power remained, he no longer possessed his blazing speed. During his time with the White Sox, Jackson had no stolen bases, though he did play in his only career postseason games. For the 1994 season, he was signed as a free agent by the California Angels for one final season, where he hit another 13 home runs in 201 at bats, before retiring during the strike.

Whew. Thanks. That eases my mind about the roids speculation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:

I don't know why, but I never suspected Bo of roids. I sure wish we could have seen what kind of a career we could have had...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:

I don't know why, but I never suspected Bo of roids. I sure wish we could have seen what kind of a career we could have had...

lot of people wish they could've seen what Bo had to offer. The all time rushing yardage list would have his name atop.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject:

^^ Yea, I never heard the steroids rumor...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

I did. I was kinda shocked. That was the ONLY athlete to which I owned something with his face/likeness on a T-shirt other than the 87-88 Lakers Tee. So that kinda shook me when I heard that.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:

I did. I was kinda shocked. That was the ONLY athlete to which I owned something with his face/likeness on a T-shirt other than the 87-88 Lakers Tee. So that kinda shook me when I heard that.

Bo was just genetically gifted. If you haven't, read Bo Knows Bo, written with the great Dick Schaap; it s a good read, I think I finished it a day and half...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:

Bo was just genetically gifted. If you haven't, read Bo Knows Bo, written with the great Dick Schaap; it s a good read, I think I finished it a day and half...

I'ma have to peep that.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:

lot of people wish they could've seen what Bo had to offer. The all time rushing yardage list would have his name atop.

Very, very possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: