Joe Crawford
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
I'm more intrigued by Dwayne Mitchell. Joe Crawford is a dime a dozen.

I'm hoping he gets more minutes as well. Mitchell looks like he takes playing defense serious.

As for Coby Karl, I have no idea why there is so much talk for him this summer (well it could be the whole story surrounding him). He hasn't done anything but chuck jumpers and miss alot of them. He hasn't done anything to show me that he is more than a stand still shooter who can't shoot. The only thing he can do is shoot 3's, and that isn't what this team needs to look for in a player to develop. As I said in another post, find someone who does some of; rebound, defend, put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop etc

Karl is playing very well. Stop hating on him. He's blocking shots, he's being aggressive, he's playing defense, he's getting to the line, when he gets attacked by opponents, he attacks back, he's efficient, but more than all that, he's running the offense - which is THE main thing the Lakers need from him to determine if any of the other participants can stick. We saw Farmar due that his last SPL and it made a big difference for Crittenton whenever Jordan was on the court.

It's not rocket science and most scouts have been impressed by Karl's play because he looks like a legit NBA player, even if Lakers fans always have to hate on the kid.

I think Karl's performance has been somewhere in between what oldschool and what LakerJam said.

He's playing very hard, he's shown a willingness to take charges, he's giving effort defensively. But he still bites on a lot of fakes and gets beat pretty easily off the dribble from what I've seen in the 3 full games so far. As far as Jam's assertion that he's blocking shots, he's averaging 0.3 blocks a game. That's not something the Lakers are even evaluating in his game anyways.

He clearly has way more command of the offense than his teammates and knows how to get his points within it. He's making an attempt to take people off the dribble. However he's still shooting under 40% from the field and under 33% from the arc with an A:TO ratio less than 2. So I'm not sure that qualifies as efficient.
LakersFTW
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject:

if only we could combine the shooting skills of Karl, the passing ability of Sun Yue, the midrange and finishing ability of Joe Crawford, the height of Sun Yue and the body of Dwayne Mitchell

All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LakersFTW wrote:
if only we could combine the shooting skills of Karl, the passing ability of Sun Yue, the midrange and finishing ability of Joe Crawford, the height of Sun Yue and the body of Dwayne Mitchell

and the toughness of Lorenzo Mata
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject:

kevin love is really smart! You can tell by the way he sets picks and anticipates the next move

kind of like Scola from the Rockets
play2win
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Go_Lakers!! wrote:
Yeah I would like to see him get some more minutes

He isn't goin play for us so why bother
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

I'm hoping he gets more minutes as well. Mitchell looks like he takes playing defense serious.

As for Coby Karl, I have no idea why there is so much talk for him this summer (well it could be the whole story surrounding him). He hasn't done anything but chuck jumpers and miss alot of them. He hasn't done anything to show me that he is more than a stand still shooter who can't shoot. The only thing he can do is shoot 3's, and that isn't what this team needs to look for in a player to develop. As I said in another post, find someone who does some of; rebound, defend, put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop etc

Karl is playing very well. Stop hating on him. He's blocking shots, he's being aggressive, he's playing defense, he's getting to the line, when he gets attacked by opponents, he attacks back, he's efficient, but more than all that, he's running the offense - which is THE main thing the Lakers need from him to determine if any of the other participants can stick. We saw Farmar due that his last SPL and it made a big difference for Crittenton whenever Jordan was on the court.

It's not rocket science and most scouts have been impressed by Karl's play because he looks like a legit NBA player, even if Lakers fans always have to hate on the kid.

That's your opinion not fact, don't state it as so please. I've watched every summer league game, and while I can appreciate Karl's hustle and desire to make the team, he has become a gunner from the outside. He's chucking up a lot of shots, who knows maybe that's what he's been told to do, but regardless he's chucking j's.

While I can appreciate the block he had on OJ, it isn't an indicator of him being a shot blocker or being an outstanding defender. There were a number of Lakers that went out during that game and took on the challenge of staying in front of him and did just that, and I havn't heard anyone of their names mentioned in any reports hyping them up for it.

I never took a shot at him for not trying, just stated my opinion that he has a lot of holes in his game. I think he is a one dimensional player, who I expect to look like a mature player on the floor. He has been around nba basketball his entire life, and has an upper hand on the other players on that roster. He's 25 years old, I don't know how much upside he really has.

**I'll root for the guy to do good because he is a Laker, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Lakers looked in a different direction**
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Wonder how much playing time he'll get playing behind Kevin Martin?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

I think Karl's performance has been somewhere in between what oldschool and what LakerJam said.

He's playing very hard, he's shown a willingness to take charges, he's giving effort defensively. But he still bites on a lot of fakes and gets beat pretty easily off the dribble from what I've seen in the 3 full games so far. As far as Jam's assertion that he's blocking shots, he's averaging 0.3 blocks a game. That's not something the Lakers are even evaluating in his game anyways.

He clearly has way more command of the offense than his teammates and knows how to get his points within it. He's making an attempt to take people off the dribble. However he's still shooting under 40% from the field and under 33% from the arc with an A:TO ratio less than 2. So I'm not sure that qualifies as efficient.

That's a pretty fair assesment. As for him knowing the offense it's my opinion that he should, he's been on the roster for a year already. Even before last year, his dad had the nuggets assistants help him learn the tri and what to do to impress the Lakers before he even started that camp.
Laaakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

RowellGboy7 wrote:
Laaakers wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
But how do refs score points??? and does he still hate Tim Duncan???

He's talking about "Joe" Crawford the guard from Kentucky that was just drafted, not Joey Crawford the NBA referee.

^ doesnt get it

it's ok youre a rookie

whatever dude, i probably was here before you were. i just don't remember my password to my old account so dont be a lil snob about it.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Laaakers wrote:
RowellGboy7 wrote:
Laaakers wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

He's talking about "Joe" Crawford the guard from Kentucky that was just drafted, not Joey Crawford the NBA referee.

^ doesnt get it

it's ok youre a rookie

whatever dude, i probably was here before you were. i just don't remember my password to my old account so dont be a lil snob about it.

PM Alpha...he just hooked me up after I had the same problem.

[sorry for creating more work for you Alpha ]
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:

Agreed. According the Yahoo Sports, Dwayne Mitchell embarrassed OJ Mayo
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

Unfortunately he probably wont see major action again, or the t.c. roster.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Joe Crawford = CLUTCH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

Who this guy???

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

Who this guy???

He's shown a knack for being a strong physical defender, albeit in limited minutes during summer league games. I'd like to see what he can do with more minutes, and eventually against better competition. No reason he shouldn't have just as much of a shot at making the roster as Crawford and Karl.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Laaakers wrote:
RowellGboy7 wrote:
Laaakers wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

^ doesnt get it

it's ok youre a rookie

Username: KobeHasTheMagic
Password: Troll

Just kidding, BTW
Discoflux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Joe Crawford...
Do it, Mitch.
Go_Lakers!!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Joe "Clutch" Crawford lol that was a nice play at the end of the game today, he won it for us
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

I think Karl has blocked one shot in four games.

I disagree about him being a legit NBA player. I think he is only in the league because someone in the Laker organizations is doing a favor for George Karl. I don't see him every being an NBA rotation player. Three or four years from now his only job in the NBA will involve holding a clipboard.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject:

Coby looks more like a NBA player than Sasha did his first two years.

Defintely a better passer, more athletic and higher IQ. If he can shoot 40% from the arc for the season in limited minutes he most certainly will find work somewhere.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject:

And the theory that the "Lakers are doing George Karl favor" is hilariously crackpot. Phil hates George Karl.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject:

Are they giving Karl this much playing time because there is a possibility he might have to take Sasha's place? If so, I think the loss of Sasha and Ronny will set us back a season if we try to go forward with Coby Karl and no one in their places. We also know that Luke has chronic ankle problems and several of our other players have injury issues.

Who else is out there?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject:

21_Blessings wrote:
And the theory that the "Lakers are doing George Karl favor" is hilariously crackpot. Phil hates George Karl.

But Kupchak doesn't. It's that Tar Heel thing.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:

But Kupchak doesn't. It's that Tar Heel thing.

Coby is a protoypical Phil Jackson type triangle player. And Mitch always goes for the roleplayers that Phil wannts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: